Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My APS TT G35 build is almost complete...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:24 AM
lope483

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My APS TT G35 build is almost complete...

im cross-posting this from g35driver.com...

So i am currently having an APS TT Tuner kit installed on my 04 G coupe. it was put in the shop last monday. there were a couple hickups, and i wanted to know some information from people who have had this kit installed.

i bought the tuner kit special from Z1 which included the kit, 600cc DW injectors, a UTEC, the MAF and the APS exhaust. i also had them include the Z1 clutch and lightened flywheel. im putting Autometer Nexus guages and an HKS EVC6 boost controller.

everything is pretty much done. they are installing the guages and mounting the EVC where my ashtray is today. unfortunately Z1 didnt ship the UTEC and injectors with the kit. it really sucks cause my tuner is going on vacation on friday and we didnt realize they were missing till yesterday so i had to have Z1 overnight the parts. they said theyd get back to me today and let me know if they were in stock and ship them ASAP.

the only part im really sweating is the injectors. it would be real ****ty if they didnt come in and we tuned on the stock 380cc injectors. the UTEC isnt a big deal, as my tuner, Precision Autosports, is about to become an official UPREV tuner and he can tune with Osiris, which im leaning towards anyway.

that leads me to another question...should i go ahead and tune with the UTEC or opt for Osiris? ive been reading about the differences and it seems UTEC has a few problems like losing maps and hot starting issues. does Osiris have any problems? everything ive read about it seems to be nothing but praise. the deal is this tuner has only tuned one vehicle with Osiris, a 08 Titan. id be the first guy hes tuned with a TT G. hes done a ton of installs with UTEC though.

i have a few questions about the APS install specifically. they said they had to grind down a bit of the pasenger side motor mount bracket to get the turbo to fit. is this normal for this kit on a G35? also, the only other real trouble area was they had to make a hole in the radiator bracket to pass the large intercooler hose through. you guys running this kit run into the same problem? i guess the 350z has a large hole there already and its not a problem.

also, i wanted opinions about price. these guys are primarily mustang tuners (thats really all there is out here in bum-**** dayton Ohio). this is their first G35 TT install. they did a 350z install of the greddy kit like a month ago. they are really good with FI applications though as most of their customers are 03-04 cobra guys.

the thing is they quoted me like $2500 for install of the kit and tuning. but they are about to hit 51 hours of install time, and at $80 an hour thats a little over $4k. now, i must say the quote was just for the kit. that didnt include the exhaust, the clutch, or the guages and boost controller. they have done a TON of work to this car and they do everything right. is that an excessive amount for that much work? the guys know their **** for sure, but i dont want to get taken to the cleaners since this is the first huge project ive undertaken and am not familiar with what to expect.

thanks for reading all this and i appreciate any comments you guys have. i really cant wait till the project is complete. hopefully we get the injectors somewhat early tomorrow and we can then drop them in and tune and get it all done. im seriously exstatic to get my ride back. ill update this post with pictures and numbers and all the fun stuff when its done. cant freaking wait
Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 AM
XKR

It always hurts me everytime I am to do this.....Sorry

About the $2500....thats about right. When you get a quote.....make sure they stick it.....If it takes longer...Well....thats on them.

Last edited by XKR; 08-05-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 AM
lope483

Originally Posted by XKR
It always hurts me everytime I am to do this.....Sorry

About the $2500....thats about right. When you get a quote.....make sure they stick it.....If it takes longer...Well....thats on them.
oh yeah you know there will be pics when everything is done. without a doubt.

and the quote was for just the TT kit install, not the exhaust, clutch, guages and boost controller. so basically i guess what i was asking is is the extra like $1500 about right for install of all that?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the advantages of the APS kits is that they have excellent fitment. Usually, if it isn't listed in the instructions, it doesn't need to be done.

You are aware of the limitations of the TT Tuner kits turbos right? I just don't want you to be disappointed.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 AM
lope483

Originally Posted by Cass007
One of the advantages of the APS kits is that they have excellent fitment. Usually, if it isn't listed in the instructions, it doesn't need to be done.

You are aware of the limitations of the TT Tuner kits turbos right? I just don't want you to be disappointed.
yeah the tech doing my install pretty much said its the highest quality TT kit hes ever installed. the thing is the instructions were for a 350z. if this was a 350z they wouldnt have had to do any cutting at all and the kit would have been completely bolt-on.

and as far as the turbos go, yeah ive read taht they arent the highest quality. but im really not expecting have over 420whp at the wheels on high boost. i would like to do a full engine build in the future when i have the money, and the motor has to come out anyway so ill cross that bridge then.

Last edited by lope483; 08-05-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Glex25

Originally Posted by lope483
oh yeah you know there will be pics when everything is done. without a doubt.

and the quote was for just the TT kit install, not the exhaust, clutch, guages and boost controller. so basically i guess what i was asking is is the extra like $1500 about right for install of all that?
$2500 for turbo kit install and tuning
$350-450 for a clutch install
$60-80 for Boost controller (Not familiar with EVC6 but my Haltech EBC was real simple)
$85 for Exhaust install (I let Meineke do my exhaust install since I do not have a lift)
$125-$175 for Gauge installation depending on which ones you installing

As far as the cutout in the Radiator Support that is normal on the G35

Last edited by Glex25; 08-05-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:18 AM
lope483

Originally Posted by Glex25
$2500 for turbo kit install and tuning
$350-450 for a clutch install
$60-80 for Boost controller (Not familiar with EVC6 but my Haltech EBC was real simple)
$85 for Exhaust install (I let Meineke do my exhaust install since I do not have a lift)
$125-$175 for Gauge installation depending on which ones you installing

As far as the cutout in the Radiator Support that is normal on the G35
wow. i dont know where youre getting your install done but that is seriously cheap. out here everyone charges $80/hr for labor. so youre basically saying a clutch is 4-5 hours, boost controller is only 1 hour (), 1 hour for exhaust (including test pipes), and 2 hours for guages? seems really conservative to me.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:40 AM
lope483

jesus.

so i ordered everything from Z1 motorsports like July 6th. the kit came in like 4 days later. i put my car in the shop on the 28th. EVERYTHING is done.....except they didnt send me my 600cc DW injectors, the Walbro fuel pump, OR the UTEC. i didnt realize this till yesterday when they were going to install them and they said they werent there. i called Z1 and they said they would send them standard day and tried to get ME to pay shipping. ********. so i got them to overnight the items at their expense, which was more than fair since they didnt ship them in the first place. they agreed. i recieved the UTEC this morning. unfortunately i didnt realize the fuel pump was missing till this morning. so i called them to just have them credit my account for it since my tuner is going on vacation friday and we need everything done by today and he can easily get one. they tried to tell me i would only get $95 of the $118 back cause it was a "package deal". thats ******** cause the only "deal" with this kit was getting a free APS exhaust. everything else was list price off the shelf. so i called them out on it and they finally agreed to refund the full price on the pump. i received the UTEC this morning but so far not the injectors. the injectors are the crucial part, of course. i need them before we can start tuning.

one question though...assuming we cant for some reason get the walbro fuel pump right away, how bad is the stock pump? will i at least be able to tune for low boost with it? or is it worthless to tune without the upgraded pump?

oh yeah, and **** Z1. i will not be doing business with them again. i had to basically fight with them over every issue i had. they treated me like **** when i asked where the hell the install directions were since the kit didnt come with any. they have always been rude with me over the phone with every issue i have. and of course i ordered over $8k worth of parts and received HALF of them. i highly advise people on here to stay away from them.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 AM
blueper4mancez

i think the clutch installation shouldn't be 3-4 hours , i assume that your installer is removing the engine , it takes about 1-2 hours max for a clutch install when the engine is out .
Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 AM
lope483

Originally Posted by blueper4mancez
i think the clutch installation shouldn't be 3-4 hours , i assume that your installer is removing the engine , it takes about 1-2 hours max for a clutch install when the engine is out .
no, they dropped the tranny since the install directions for the kit dont call for engine removal.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

You might want to post that z1 isn't z1auto in NY. Some members gets confuse with their names.

Anyway, I had no problem with them, I only had one time business with them but was great. Plus, you seems not happy with shop charges labor cost, you can not push shop to finish things fast when you go FI. Also before you giving laug icon to other member's post, call up few our sponsor shops.$2500 install/tune sounds about right, even clutch installed.(I paid 400 for my clutch/flywheel)

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 AM
blueper4mancez

installations will cost almost as much as the the parts ,that's the beauty about these cars . btw this is the latest aps tuner turbo kit right ? if so don't even think about building your engine in the near future , pm jay'z or cass to find out why .
Old 08-06-2009, 08:13 AM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah not to ruin your hopes but he is right... Jay'z had to completely start over and get a different kit because it was awhile ago and it wasn't common knowledge that this kit doesn't do well with built engines.. and that was with Sharif doing it at forged, so that is saying something. Can't wait to see pics though
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM
lope483

Originally Posted by Chef-J
You might want to post that z1 isn't z1auto in NY. Some members gets confuse with their names.

Anyway, I had no problem with them, I only had one time business with them but was great. Plus, you seems not happy with shop charges labor cost, you can not push shop to finish things fast when you go FI. Also before you giving laug icon to other member's post, call up few our sponsor shops.$2500 install/tune sounds about right, even clutch installed.(I paid 400 for my clutch/flywheel)

Good luck.
yeah this is Z1 in Ga.

i was only laughing at the boost controller taking one hour to install. this is an HKS EVC6 and its a custom install replacing or drilling through my ashtray. even if it wasnt boost controllers usually take ore than a single hour unless its a manual one.

i have no problem with the shop charging so much for labor, as i said thats pretty much the norm out here. and this guy is a very reputable shop. im not rushing him either. if all my parts would have arrived WHEN THEY SHOULD HAVE they would have been done with everything, tune and all, yesterday and i would have already have my kit. the only reason theres a rush today is cause my tuners going out of town on friday and if i dont get these parts relatively early today then i will have to wait another week.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 AM
lope483

Originally Posted by knils
yah not to ruin your hopes but he is right... Jay'z had to completely start over and get a different kit because it was awhile ago and it wasn't common knowledge that this kit doesn't do well with built engines.. and that was with Sharif doing it at forged, so that is saying something. Can't wait to see pics though
yeah thats what im hearing....fortunately i wont be going built for a while if at all really. its just on my dream list right now lol. we'll see how i feel after i get the car back and am hopefully pushing 420whp. it might just be enough....but probably not lol
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

I had the same issue with the directions from Z1 for the APS TT Tuner kit. I was told that they were available online, but the directions online are for the older kit, so the install is actually a combination of the tuner and extreme kit directions.

Its VERY tight to get the manifolds and turbos on without pulling the engine BTW. I may actually take longer to do it witheverything in the car than to take it out IMO.

You should call Z1 and have them next day air you some injectors straight from DW. Tuning without thepump seems like it would be a waste of time, the pump is like mod #1. You should be able to find one local (possibly even in the classifieds) without too much trouble or worst case have another vendor overnight it to you.

Just take a deep breath and relax, the worst thing is that your car sits for another week or so before it is tuned. Get used to it, such is the nature of F/I with our cars.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by lope483
yeah this is Z1 in Ga.

i was only laughing at the boost controller taking one hour to install. this is an HKS EVC6 and its a custom install replacing or drilling through my ashtray. even if it wasnt boost controllers usually take ore than a single hour unless its a manual one.

i have no problem with the shop charging so much for labor, as i said thats pretty much the norm out here. and this guy is a very reputable shop. im not rushing him either. if all my parts would have arrived WHEN THEY SHOULD HAVE they would have been done with everything, tune and all, yesterday and i would have already have my kit. the only reason theres a rush today is cause my tuners going out of town on friday and if i dont get these parts relatively early today then i will have to wait another week.
Gotcha. Btw if you haven't receive injectors yet, then contact Hal@IP. I'm sure they could get you injectors plus free walbro.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:12 PM
lope483

so i received the injectors at like 2:00pm, but it was pretty much too late to get the car back. they ran into an issue with the UTEC bracket too. i guess its a 350z UTEC and thats what they send out for Gs. so the bracket that came with it wouldnt fit my car obv cause it was made for Zs. so they had to fab one up.

i had to call Z1 and FIGHT with them to refund the full amount for the walbro, but they did it. we found a local one that will bve at the shop tomorrow so they're gonna finish the UTEC install, drop the fuel pump in and run it on the dyno with the base 350z map and ill get it like that for now. when my tuner gets back we'll do a full dyno tune on it. so i guess ill have to wait to have some real fun with it.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:10 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Trust me the wait will be well worth it the first time you hit full boost.I still remember my drive back from FunctionTuned after i replaced the weak *** stillen sc with the greddy twins............my face hurt from the giant smile that the twins put there.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:24 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is no specific way to mount the UTEC in a G. You just shove it up there. Taking time to fab a bracket is a waste of your money, unless they werent charging shop hours to do so...

Quick Reply: My APS TT G35 build is almost complete...