Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Installed my Cosworth intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:55 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
keep an eye on the caps leaking once you start spraying meth. Doesnt seem like Cosworth has that fixed yet as people are still having problems with that. Pretty sure Sylvan lake is currently.
Will do...I did use black RTV on them, and I don't think the meth will break that down too easily. We'll see.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:56 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by rcdash
It sounds like boost was getting into the crankcase through the PCV and was being blown out the driver's side vent.

I drilled out the PCV, use a short section of 3/8" fuel injection hose (SAE30R9 quality), and then have a 3/8 to 5/8" adapter I bought online somewhere (high temp plastic). I use 5/8" heater hose for most of the plumbing.
looks like I'm going to be re-routing all of this stuff!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:00 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking gooood !!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 AM
thom000001

Stock cams peak at 6250rpm. Then fall off baaaaaaddddddd.
I rev to 7200rpm as well but only to keep it in 4th longer.

we still gotta meet up one of these days.

tom
Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
whereas it fell on it's face BAD after 5500 before.
This is the problem I am having now, it just doesn't pull after 5500rpm.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:33 AM
thom000001

I think lots of people need to address their ECU, grounding, and spark plugs/gap first.

The cars running the most boost, thus SHOULD have the hardest time igniting that a/f combo are NOT running boost-a-sparks.
My car doesn't fall on its face at all, all the way to 7200rpm (and thats on stock cams/springs)

tom

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
This is the problem I am having now, it just doesn't pull after 5500rpm.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:38 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by thom000001
I think lots of people need to address their ECU, grounding, and spark plugs/gap first.

The cars running the most boost, thus SHOULD have the hardest time igniting that a/f combo are NOT running boost-a-sparks.
My car doesn't fall on its face at all, all the way to 7200rpm (and thats on stock cams/springs)

tom
My plugs are good and gapped properly, not sure what you mean by ECU. I have the Haltech. I never really though grounding would make any difference.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Will do...I did use black RTV on them, and I don't think the meth will break that down too easily. We'll see.

Thats what I used when mine started leaking from both caps. Make sure you check the end cap bolts mine backed out a bit and were only hand tight. My buddy checked his when I mentioned it and his backed out as well. This time I used the black RTV again (I think the grey would make it hard to get the end caps off if there was an issue) I also used blue thread lock this time to help with the bolts backing out. I hope you don't have the issues I did its a PITA.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 AM
thom000001

Grounding makes a huge differnce. Just ask the auto guys how their shifting changed after doing a grounding kit.

I understand that people are picking up power with the boost-a-spark, but are you having spark blow-out? Have you tried adjust the gap of the plugs around to see any differences? You should see spark problems showup on the dyno (well maybe not a non-inertia dyno).

Cars running 30+ psi on here don't have these problems.

Tom

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
My plugs are good and gapped properly, not sure what you mean by ECU. I have the Haltech. I never really though grounding would make any difference.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:11 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

My personal take on the boost-a-spark is that it does what it's supposed to do but may not be needed. I think Brian's problem may be his particular UTEC unit. I say that because I've read of so many issues with misfires with UTECs. I investigated this a bit and actually logged ignition voltage while on the dyno. I found that the voltage that drives all the coils does drop off over 1 full volt as you approach redline (from 13.3V to exactly 12V or thereabouts). I installed a boost-a-spark and it held the voltage constant to what ever you set it to (base of 13 up to 20V). It did not change with RPM any longer. However, with my Haltech, I got 0 gain on the dyno. There's an in-cabin dial so you can turn it full off to on instantly and did multiple back to back runs with no signficant change. I don't know if it matters, but AFR does go slightly leaner when you turn the voltage up. Not much though. Not sure what it means or if it's significant. You have to be careful with the voltage because the ignition power line that charges the coils also feeds the evap solenoid and the intake cam solenoids for both banks (unless you do some extensive rewiring). I was lazy and just inserted the BAS in the middle of the line and set voltage at 14V. Seems to work fine there. No power gain, but no loss either. I kept it, by the way, to prevent spark blow out with WI (coming soon).

EDIT: I think Alberto also had a positive gain with the HKS DLI unit but at the time I think he also had a UTEC? With his Haltech, I doubt it still serves a purpose but may be helping to prevent spark blowout on his methanol maps.

PS. And I agree with Tom about the grounding wires, for automatics at least. No one at Forged believes me, but they humor me and keep putting the wires back on (well, I keep insisting).

Last edited by rcdash; 09-15-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 AM
BoostedProbe

Maybe I will try "side gaping" this winter. Read a few good articles on it with very good results.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by thom000001

tom
You are holding power better because you have bigger turbos. My grounding is fine, my plugs are gapped down to .028 and I have a KB boost a spark.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Thats what I used when mine started leaking from both caps. Make sure you check the end cap bolts mine backed out a bit and were only hand tight. My buddy checked his when I mentioned it and his backed out as well. This time I used the black RTV again (I think the grey would make it hard to get the end caps off if there was an issue) I also used blue thread lock this time to help with the bolts backing out. I hope you don't have the issues I did its a PITA.
I'll be checking the torque on the bolts frequently...thx!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:34 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
I don't know if it matters, but AFR does go slightly leaner when you turn the voltage up. Not much though. Not sure what it means or if it's significant.
If the AFR goes up, that would generally indicate more complete combustion. I'm not sure why your hp did not go up. If you dyno'd on different days or at different times of the day, i.e. at a different temperature and/or different humidity, there will be differences in the dyno readings due to the temp/humidity changes, and this might be enough to mask the small hp gain you were getting from having more complete combustion.

For reference, Mustang dyno's correct for temperature and humidity. When I dyno'd in August (temp in the 90's) at 14.5 psi, my peak hp weather corrected from an actual hp measurement in the mid 550's up to a weather corrected measurement in the mid 580's. When I ran my last dyno in November (temp in the low to mid 70's) at 17.5 psi, my peak hp corrected from an actual measurement of 609 down to a weather corrected measurement of 603.

Of course, these weather correction factors are general in nature, and may not be 100% accurate accross all vehicles. However, they do provide a general indication of the impact of temp/humidity on the hp numbers.

Also, it shows that if you are dynoing on a particularly hot day, back off the timing and go with a little lower AFR (if using a MAP sensor) to give margine for running on a cold day. On a cold day, more air will be pushed into the motor, which will cause the AFR to increase. That is why a MAF sensor is a better indicator of air flow volume than a MAP sensor. Has anybody yet played with a MAF sensor for an extreme hp (i.e. 650+ whp) build???

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-15-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

I hope the end caps dont leak.. If they do please let us know how u fix it..
Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
If the AFR goes up, that would generally indicate more complete combustion. I'm not sure why your hp did not go up. If you dyno'd on different days or at different times of the day, i.e. at a different temperature and/or different humidity, there will be differences in the dyno readings due to the temp/humidity changes, and this might be enough to mask the small hp gain you were getting from having more complete combustion.

For reference, Mustang dyno's correct for temperature and humidity. When I dyno'd in August (temp in the 90's) at 14.5 psi, my peak hp weather corrected from an actual hp measurement in the mid 550's up to a weather corrected measurement in the mid 580's. When I ran my last dyno in November (temp in the low to mid 70's) at 17.5 psi, my peak hp corrected from an actual measurement of 609 down to a weather corrected measurement of 603.

Of course, these weather correction factors are general in nature, and may not be 100% accurate accross all vehicles. However, they do provide a general indication of the impact of temp/humidity on the hp numbers.

Also, it shows that if you are dynoing on a particularly hot day, back off the timing and go with a little lower AFR (if using a MAP sensor) to give margine for running on a cold day. On a cold day, more air will be pushed into the motor, which will cause the AFR to increase. That is why a MAF sensor is a better indicator of air flow volume than a MAP sensor. Has anybody yet played with a MAF sensor for an extreme hp (i.e. 650+ whp) build???

I should have noted that the AFRs changed slightly but only at low load/idle only with the BAS. No change under boost. I did runs on a Dynojet with it on and off then on then off. All within 5 mins of each other. All the same curves. The Haltech reads the MAF sensor all the time even though I don't use it. It would be interesting to log MAF and see how it changes relative to MAP, where it maxes out, etc. It would be nice not to have to use all the temperature compensation tables (because they are difficult to dial in perfectly until you run under all the various conditions).
Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is this MAF sensor that is rated to over 1000 whp, but I don't know anyone who has tried it:

http://www.350zmod.com/ProductDetail...HPX+VQ35DEMMAF

If anyone has, please post....
Old 09-15-2009, 12:48 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

A lot of Osiris users use it for higher than 370whp setups, which is about the limit of the stock MAF...I use it on my Vortech setup....works well, couldn't tell you any more details since I let my tuner do all the work....

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
There is this MAF sensor that is rated to over 1000 whp, but I don't know anyone who has tried it:

http://www.350zmod.com/ProductDetail...HPX+VQ35DEMMAF

If anyone has, please post....
Old 09-15-2009, 12:58 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Ive been contemplating doing this, but havent seen enough results IMO. I look forward to your results Brian. Did you get the same Alky kit that was already pieced together that a few of us have?
May be worth holding out for Charles' new plenum, pending results of course.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:04 PM
vthao

Badass!

Quick Reply: Installed my Cosworth intake manifold