Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Almost bit the dust! Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009 | 01:27 PM
Blck350z

Originally Posted by jtgli
Damn that sucks, pretty lucky I'd say esp. since you were going so fast. I actually had a similar thing happen to my oem bumper with the grill cut out. Not nearly as bad as yours did recently but mine cracked around the headlights on each side from flexing after doing several 160+ runs. You plan on doing another oem bumper of something different?
^^^ never told me that !!! and I rode w/ you how many times...

Well i'm glad your OK !!! there are few body kits that enhance the Z aesthetically and performance wise....
Old 09-23-2009 | 09:18 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Clint@Altered
good lord. At least your are using your car to its potential
I try!

Originally Posted by 05Z33
There is a member on here who fabricated some nice aluminum undertrays. He has a thread on it and here it is. It is a 2 peice tray and makes oil changes easier.

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...elly-pans.html
GREAT! Thanks for posting this. This should be good to go, for good measure I'll blue loctite that on, would hate to see a tire run over that aluminum tray at speed should it ever fall.

Now if only a member would make something sturdier than the plastic fender liners for the wheel wells....

Originally Posted by JS04
Wow Bert...well just do this kit. Hey its wind tunnel tested.
What kit is that? I would consider a body kit if it actually functions at speed.

Originally Posted by JET MECH
My front bumper cover is starting to crack at the corners of the head light areas as well. grill has been cut out, CW lip, no under tray installed. FAWK!!! time to maybe move on to the V2 front i have been contemplating to do.......thanks for the heads up Alberto.
Glad I could maybe prevent the same! I figured I wasnt the only one who has experienced this, the more we know as a community the better off we are!

Originally Posted by Cass007
First off, I am glad that you are OK and the car sustained minor damage. Great driving as usual and thanks for sharing this so other members know to check for signs of stress on the bumper.

Second, you can make a comp claim and it does not count against you as a chargable accident and will not affect your rates. Just make sure you say a branch or something was run over by a car in front of you and flew up and hit your lip and broke it off. If you say you ran it over it becomes a collision claim and deductibles and policy charges get involved. Most comp deductibles are low, from $0-200 usually.

Finally, you may borrow my stock DB front end to use for the rest of the season if you want to put off the Nismo front till the spring. Anything I can do to help out a Mid-A brother . Just let me know, its sitting in my shed collecting dust.
Thanks! The offer is very generous, I may take you up on that, I need to look into some options and I'll certainly let you know. Much appreciated

Im having my GF look into the claim issue she works in automotive insurance for other companies.

I will have to get a new coupling as the coupling in the one pic is slightly torn where the bumper hit it. Looks like it wouldnt be a huge issue as its where it clamps but better safe than sorry. Thinking ahead Im thinking tax return time = body kit/body work/paint....

Thanks to all for the suggestions!
Old 09-23-2009 | 09:23 AM
JS04

Its the Voltex kit. Theres a few vendors on here that just started selling them. I'm looking at picking on up in the future. Voltex wind tunnels every kit they design.
Old 09-23-2009 | 09:26 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

I'll look into them....I know tons about these cars minus the kits aspect of the modding. Approx how much do they go for? Who you giving your business to?

I will start looking into ASAP

edit-found this thread and when I saw the front shot of the kit I threw up some of my lunch back into my mouth

https://my350z.com/forum/body-exteri...-hottness.html

Im looking into the price for $hits and giggles. For the sake of not making my Z look like a blue whale from the front I may end up with a V2 kit w/canards LMAO

Last edited by Alberto; 09-23-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2009 | 10:07 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by Alberto
I'll look into them....I know tons about these cars minus the kits aspect of the modding. Approx how much do they go for? Who you giving your business to?

edit-found this thread and when I saw the front shot of the kit I threw up some of my lunch back into my mouth

Im looking into the price for $hits and giggles. For the sake of not making my Z look like a blue whale from the front I may end up with a V2 kit w/canards LMAO
Wowza.. I can't believe the TS FD ripped off like that

If you're going with the v2+canards, you should look into the TS Rear Diffuser.. It makes for a very sick combo.
Old 09-23-2009 | 11:19 AM
JS04

Yea, I wish Voltex stayed with the orignal front bumper. I'm not really a fan on the new front. Its ok but the 1st version was way better.
Old 09-23-2009 | 12:29 PM
Driven1
Professional

Damn man. Glad to hear you're ok though. This is something Ive been concerned about for quite some time. I went with the Amuse w/ full front diffuser for this reason actually so Im not happy to hear someone say it happened on their Amuse (or Shine Amuse really). I (like Alberto) do high speed pulls and have been next to another Z (@ 120ish) an watched their CF hood flex so much it created a gap b/t the fenders of what seemed like 2 inches plus (this is why I gave away a CF hood I had sitting around to a friend).

Thanks for sharing Bert. I also have a front if you want sitting collecting dust.

Be careful out there guys and gals.
Old 09-23-2009 | 12:36 PM
psychoballistic

You are a mad man. Like mentioned above, at least you drive it like you built it. Glad everything is ok man.
Old 09-24-2009 | 03:17 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
Premier Member

Wow Alberto... Glad you made it through that situation OK.

The Nismo V2 is a very clean look and still one of my favs.

Another company besides Voltex that tests their designs in wind tunnels and at high speeds is Top Secret. Smokey runs his cars bawlz out to 200+mph with his aero kits. Therefore, I would trust the high speed stability and durability of his products over many of the other brands on the market. I don't know if you would care for the looks of TS front bumpers though ...as they are more aggressive than the OEM look you seem to prefer.

Here is the Version 1

And here is the Version 2 longnose

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 09-24-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-24-2009 | 04:03 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Version 1 looks decent!

Top Secret again...
Old 09-24-2009 | 04:48 AM
midz350

^^ +10000
Old 09-24-2009 | 05:30 AM
GreenGoblin

I like the TS1
Old 09-24-2009 | 05:54 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Im not a huge body guy, but I liked the look of the CF diffuser, now I feel like OEM wont cut it-although I am looking for a DB bumper for a temporary measure.

I like the Nismo V3 I think it is (ala Jkenefic) but only with the entire kit. I dont know if Im willing to put a kit on the car.

The car is in serious need of a respray along with getting dings taken out. It was DD for 3 years through MD winters (when NA) and its showing its age. I'll likely do the old school Nismo V1, paint the center black, do the roof and door handles black and call it a day. When I put enough $$$$ aside for that is beyond me though...this also made me want a roll cage even more now, I figure between the respray/body work I want and a GOOD cage Im not looking at anything less than $8500, freaking money pit of a car
the V2 flows so much better with the car. just my opinion though.

also: I totally agree about unsupported lips/diffusers/splitters.

These need to be actually supported by something to even be really effective anyway, otherwise all it'll do is deform at speed and only create drag. This is why real race car wings do not secure to the exterior body, but usually through the trunk to a solid piece of the car.

if there would be a way to secure the front splitter (I loved the Top Secret one you had) to the bumper or radiator support, that would be good. all it woudl need to be is two brackets.

the trailing edge (under the car tray) I am fairly certain there are anchor points, and it's also not the load bearing section anyway.

glad to hear nothing bad happened dude!
Old 09-24-2009 | 11:06 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Alberto go with the Top Secret full body kit. It's definitely functional
Old 09-24-2009 | 11:42 AM
abui01

I did my bodykit research for years before I pulled the trigger on one. They say (according to wind tunnel tests and all) that the Do-Luck has the best downforce for a kit than anything available for the Z in the market. The design of the front, sides, and rear help keep the car down at such high speeds. Given that I never went above 80mph nor ever boosted, I can honestly say that even with half the bumper hanging on after you smashed into a tree, it still held on pretty strong. Too bad that kit costs a fortune though.

The answer to your problem lies in a long-nose design, though the flexible Nismo V1 from Shine would also suffice.
Old 09-24-2009 | 03:43 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Wow, that could have much more serious. Thankfully the bumper help together. I vote for a Nismo conversion up front. Still havent found a front bumper I like more than the 08 Nismo.
Old 09-24-2009 | 04:03 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Wow, that could have much more serious. Thankfully the bumper help together. I vote for a Nismo conversion up front. Still havent found a front bumper I like more than the 08 Nismo.
-------> https://my350z.com/forum/7777395-post1307.html

Old 09-24-2009 | 11:10 PM
maximumsportZ

This thread makes me want to drive my Z right now.

Berto, glad to hear you're still the same crazy **** I remember..

Go with INGS.
Old 09-25-2009 | 04:00 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Damn back from the dead how you been?
Old 09-25-2009 | 04:25 AM
bigcloud

Glad you're alright man!! Driven1 was telling me about this same thing a month ago. He said that the front bumper just folds at those high speeds. Now I've seen it and I want a new front bumper as well.

Quick Reply: Almost bit the dust! Pics inside