Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS TT Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:53 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 90zebra
I am ready to go FI on my 2003 350Z

Who do you guys recommend I go to for install and tune on Long Island N.Y.

By the way 400 WHP is fine for me
Performance motorsports is also in Long island. The smithtown area.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:03 PM
90zebra
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Performance motorsports is also in Long island. The smithtown area.
Thanks Ojig
Old 10-08-2009, 02:01 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by SmokeUM
I'm looking to buy a Z. I would like to put in a APS Twin Turbo kit in it, but the thing is that I heard on a 'Stock' 350z engine it can only handle the 'Turbo kit' on 8 PSI but I am looking to run at least 12 - 14 PSI on it. Also I don't want my engine to blow.

Basically what I want to know is:
- If I run it with 12 - 14 PSI will it blow? And if so what would be the best solution to stop this?
Do a search on a member by the name of "madscientist"....he has the baddest Z for sale.......If I find it I will post it for you....

Here you go....Great guy and hell of a car............https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...g-his-car.html

Last edited by XKR; 10-08-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
I thought the tuner kit came with the same turbos as the full kit, just no management or fuel?!?!?
The APS turbos are ball bearing aren't they? I was also under the impression they were good for around 500 ponies.
I believe that Z1 has both kits available, the BB kits and the journal bearing ones. The journal bearing kits were shown to not make nearly as much power as the BB kits.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...188a2d5cf5960a
Old 10-09-2009, 08:24 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

All i can see there is the premium kit with fuel and management, and the tuner kit with the same turbos, but with bigger external wastegates.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

All i can see there is the premium kit with fuel and management, and the tuner kit with the same turbos, but with bigger external wastegates.
You are correct (my bad for not checking parts), but look at it this way, if you get the tuner kit and then convert the turbos to the Garrett BB design like I did, you will spend almost the same amount of money as getting the premium kit. So its just a matter of do you like the turbos they offer, or would you like something more custom?
Old 10-10-2009, 02:53 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

But there already ball bearing turbos. It's the greddy ones that are journal bearings.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

But there already ball bearing turbos. It's the greddy ones that are journal bearings.
to my knowledge, the tuner kit doesn't use BB turbos any longer. This would be something you want to verify before making a final decision.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:39 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Ahh ok. I didn't realise they actually changed the kit aswell. Is that why the tuner kits have gone down in price aswell?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:12 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Ahh ok. I didn't realise they actually changed the kit aswell. Is that why the tuner kits have gone down in price aswell?
Yes, that is why I was saying it is a push if you want custom turbos and already have an EMS and fuel components. The journal bearing setup is good for stock block power and thats about it.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:08 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Just because they have journal bearings doesn't mean they can't make fairly decent power. The greddy turbos are journal bearings and they've mad some good numbers. The main thing about journal bearings is the spool time.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Just because they have journal bearings doesn't mean they can't make fairly decent power. The greddy turbos are journal bearings and they've mad some good numbers. The main thing about journal bearings is the spool time.
Clearly you and I are not communicating and I am trying hard to help you, but if you don't want to believe what I am saying and what Ziv is saying, then just get the journals and enjoy your limited power .

You can lead a horse to water, but...

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...nd-strong.html

PM Jay'Z if you need more convincing, or just put them on your car and prove everyone else wrong.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they type of bearing has little to do with the max hp available. Grand national guys run journal bearing turbos mostly and they make stupid power. The dB types juts can spool a lil faster but the big advantage is the respool between shifts.

I dont even think that the APS kits use Garrett turbos anymore. You would not a see such a dramatic difference, if the only change was form journal to dBB.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by str8dum1
they type of bearing has little to do with the max hp available. Grand national guys run journal bearing turbos mostly and they make stupid power. The dB types juts can spool a lil faster but the big advantage is the respool between shifts.

I dont even think that the APS kits use Garrett turbos anymore. You would not a see such a dramatic difference, if the only change was form journal to dBB.
Although you are correct in your analysis, you are muddying the waters for the OP. The tuner kit is using some POS chinese knockoff turbos, APS then made the BB kit available again and Z1Motorsports seems to have both. This is not a discussion about journal vs. BB, its specific to the APS hardware in this case.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Zivman

The entire turbo is different on the tuner kit..... being a journal bearing is just one of the changes, but probably the most recognized way to differentiate between the turbos. They have been shown to have MUCH less HP potential. The move to the journal bearing turbos was done as a cost saving measure to bring the price point down
Old 10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Bestswat

Originally Posted by Cass007
I belive he is Utec friendly. Sounds like this may be your WIN. Good luck.
He doesnt not use utec.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:56 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Originally Posted by Zivman
The entire turbo is different on the tuner kit..... being a journal bearing is just one of the changes, but probably the most recognized way to differentiate between the turbos. They have been shown to have MUCH less HP potential. The move to the journal bearing turbos was done as a cost saving measure to bring the price point down
Ok, if they actually changed the whole turbo, then that would make more sense, but the way it was being explained is that they just changed to journal bearings and that in itself would not affect the amount of horsepower you could make.
So does APS offer two turbo variations for the tuner kit from factory then, or is it Z1 that modifies the APS tuner kit?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Zivman

Ok, if they actually changed the whole turbo, then that would make more sense, but the way it was being explained is that they just changed to journal bearings and that in itself would not affect the amount of horsepower you could make.
So does APS offer two turbo variations for the tuner kit from factory then, or is it Z1 that modifies the APS tuner kit?
The change was done very quietly.... and I believe APS wanted people to think the only change was that of BB vs journal bearing. obviously the change is much more substantial

I don't know for sure, but I would think APS still offers the BB turbos in some form or another.... not sure if there available on the tuner kit. You would have to contact Z1 in regards to what they are specifically offering. I know when I buy APS, I contact my guys at GRD in chicago. They would be another source of info if you need it
Old 10-16-2009, 01:42 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

see all that mess would steer me right away from the APS, unless buying the extreme kit., The powerlab will make the same power, very close power curves and about the same money.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Nealoc187

First I've heard about this with the Z kits, but APS has been selling chinese knockoff crap turbos with their LS1 kits for a while now. There is a HUGE thread on ls1tech about it. APS basically told people who have had their chinese turbos fail to get ****ed... APS' customer service has always been crap, it seems to be even worse now that they are being called on the fact that they're using crap components.

Quick Reply: APS TT Questions