Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Anyone interested in a DSS Pro Axle Group Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meatbag
I have talked to several other people that have had this issue and I had asked for a replacement set from DSS but was told that was out of the question. I think the other people have had the same luck.

Ok, well if it's a design problem like you stated in the other thread, then why do most people not have any issues?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:24 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sharif told be that the problem with the level 5's has been fixed. FWIW
Old 11-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

problems or not, we dont really have any other option as far as axles go. If it was such a huge problem then there would be numerous threads on it and nobody would be buying the axles
Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Still, we've got some advantage purchasing as a group. It might be nice to get some reassurances from DSS. Maybe when the IP team gets back from SEMA, they could have a rep from DSS come to post on here. If nothing else, they'll make sure we all get the new designs and not old stock, etc, if indeed the designs have changed. Everyone be sure to take pics before you install in case one or a few of us start to have problems...
Old 11-05-2009, 06:56 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

im in for this
Old 11-05-2009, 07:15 PM
str8dum1

umm nobody does buy the Pro axles. Hal is other only person i've read about with them..... Does SP even use them?

granted we are pigeonholed like you said, i want to get them, just want to do the due diligence first.

Originally Posted by Blackbird CPV35
problems or not, we dont really have any other option as far as axles go. If it was such a huge problem then there would be numerous threads on it and nobody would be buying the axles
Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by str8dum1
umm nobody does buy the Pro axles. Hal is other only person i've read about with them..... Does SP even use them?

granted we are pigeonholed like you said, i want to get them, just want to do the due diligence first.
The pro axles use the same outer CV as the level 5s and that's where this supposed issue is. There are PLENTY of people with the level 5s.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:09 AM
str8dum1

So if the custom outer end on the level 5's had issues when 1st made, who's to say that the custom inner CV side on the Pros wont have issues as well. I doubt they've made more than a few sets of those.

You seem to be willing to drop alot of money on a completely unproven product. Thats excellent, i guess some of us are a little more cautious.

I'm sure when people get back from SEMA, all the anxiety will get put to rest

Last edited by str8dum1; 11-06-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:48 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

So if the custom outer end on the level 5's had issues when 1st made, who's to say that the custom inner CV side on the Pros wont have issues as well. I doubt they've made more than a few sets of those.

You seem to be willing to drop alot of money on a completely unproven product. Thats excellent, i guess some of us are a little more cautious.

I'm sure when people get back from SEMA, all the anxiety will get put to rest
The issue with the outer CVs on the original level 5s was with how the wheel bearing was loaded when they were torqued down. It caused the bearing to wear out prematurely.

The inner cv's on the pro axles are a porsche style cv that is very widely used. They use an adapter plate to mount up to the hubs from the differential, as long as they fit and bolt up correctly, there is no way the inner cv's could prematurely wear out any parts. If they break, then that would be covered under the warranty.

How are the DSS pro axles unproven? I believe sound performance uses them on their 9 second 6-speed drag car. That right there should indicated how strong the inner cv's are.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

^ Sounds good Brian. Looks like you have done some research. I like to use my car as my daily driver, not just drag, so I'd just like to confirm there's no issue with that. I think it would be inappropriate to just go directly to DSS to ask them. Let's work through IP when they get back to provide what details and reassurances that they are able. SEMA ends today.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM
str8dum1

Good info. I dont know much about axles, so thats why I want to find out more.

AS for unproven, 1 car launched hard maybe 10 time a year under the exprience of a pro driver hardly means reliability in the hands of an average joe hot lapping 20 passes every thursday (i had 125 passes in 2 months)

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
The issue with the outer CVs on the original level 5s was with how the wheel bearing was loaded when they were torqued down. It caused the bearing to wear out prematurely.

The inner cv's on the pro axles are a porsche style cv that is very widely used. They use an adapter plate to mount up to the hubs from the differential, as long as they fit and bolt up correctly, there is no way the inner cv's could prematurely wear out any parts. If they break, then that would be covered under the warranty.

How are the DSS pro axles unproven? I believe sound performance uses them on their 9 second 6-speed drag car. That right there should indicated how strong the inner cv's are.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:20 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Good info. I dont know much about axles, so thats why I want to find out more.

AS for unproven, 1 car launched hard maybe 10 time a year under the exprience of a pro driver hardly means reliability in the hands of an average joe hot lapping 20 passes every thursday (i had 125 passes in 2 months)
Give me a brand new set of stock or level 2 axles and I bet I could break them on my first pass. If these axles fail they'll fail from the stress of a very hard launch not from wearing out over time.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Ok, well if it's a design problem like you stated in the other thread, then why do most people not have any issues?
When did I say everyone had this problem? I said a few others did. My beef was DSS not standing behind the product and offering a solution. So now I have $1800 paper weights
Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

When did I say everyone had this problem? I said a few others did. My beef was DSS not standing behind the product and offering a solution. So now I have $1800 paper weights
You didn't and I didn't say that you did.

What you did say is that this was a DSS DESIGN problem. If that was the case and they have not corrected it then EVERYONE with DSS level 5+ axles should have the same issues with the wheel bearings that you are having. From the pictures on the DSS website of the level 5 vs. the Pro axles it looks like the "hub section" that butts up to the back of the bearing has been increased in diameter. I would assume that is the so called "fix" for the excessive torsional load on the wheel bearings.

Here is your post if your memory fails you...
https://my350z.com/forum/6547646-post29.html

I'm sorry that DSS hasn't adequately addressed your issue, but it seems that the issue that you have been having has been resolved. Maybe DSS would offer you new outer CVs at a discounted price that don't mess up your bearings.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:14 AM
Blackbird CPV35

A little off topic but I bought a 350z axle from a junkyard just to be able to move my car (it was only $35) and everything looked the same except the 350z axle was about an inch or 2 longer on the shaft area. Any idea if they g/z axles are different lengths or did they give me the wrong one. I was thinking maybe the pass and driver axles were diff lengths or maybe there is a difference between auto and 6mt axles
Old 11-07-2009, 05:32 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Blackbird CPV35
A little off topic but I bought a 350z axle from a junkyard just to be able to move my car (it was only $35) and everything looked the same except the 350z axle was about an inch or 2 longer on the shaft area. Any idea if they g/z axles are different lengths or did they give me the wrong one. I was thinking maybe the pass and driver axles were diff lengths or maybe there is a difference between auto and 6mt axles
350Z/G35 axles are identical, as are 6mt and auto. They gave you the wrong side axle.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:09 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Edit: Realizes that the 250z community is still the sheep they were before.

Last edited by meatbag; 11-07-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:57 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Edit: Realizes that the 250z community is still the sheep they were before.
Oh give it a rest. Don't act so high and mighty here. If there was another option for stronger axles, I'm sure we would be weighing the pluses and minuses of each.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

if you guys are snapping stock axle's you're going to snap these too.. its not hte axles that are the problem.. imjustsayin
Old 11-07-2009, 07:33 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by doug
if you guys are snapping stock axle's you're going to snap these too.. its not hte axles that are the problem.. imjustsayin
Doug, you're kidding right? That's like saying that if you snap a stock connecting rod, then you'll snap eagle rods too.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in a DSS Pro Axle Group Buy?