Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New winter new turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:43 PM
GT-ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me correct you on something that might not be very important but it may help you out a bit.

In this image:

You state that both turbos are the same except for the compressor cover...this is incorrect and it is apparent just by looking at the compressor wheels.

The turbo on the left is a 60-1 as you stated...but the one on the right uses the new T61 wheels which is identical to the GT3582R turbo and the SC61 turbo. The compressor map you posted is for the older T61...a better map to use is this one:

Although the use of the E cover will make it less efficient...it really won't be by a whole lot. Maybe 10% is about right but considering that wheel can push 600+whp...10% less will still allow it to push 540whp.

Last edited by GT-ER; 10-31-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:38 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
you are liking your new Tig Welder? looks like an inverter machine. HOw is the manufacturer?

I have been thinking about getting an AC/DC inverter Tig welder. Been looking at the Thermal Arc 185 and also the Lincoln Invertec V205. The miller Dynasty 200dx is just too much $$$. What are your thoughts?
I am loving this welder. I got it here: http://www.everlastgenerators.com/
It seems well built and works very well. Would dfinetly recomend it, even though it is a chinese unit.

Originally Posted by GT-ER
Let me correct you on something that might not be very important but it may help you out a bit.

In this image:

You state that both turbos are the same except for the compressor cover...this is incorrect and it is apparent just by looking at the compressor wheels.

The turbo on the left is a 60-1 as you stated...but the one on the right uses the new T61 wheels which is identical to the GT3581R turbo and the SC61 turbo. The compressor map you posted is for the older T61...a better map to use is this one:

Although the use of the E cover will make it less efficient...it really won't be by a whole lot. Maybe 10% is about right but considering that wheel can push 600+whp...10% less will still allow it to push 540whp.
GT-ER, you are correct. I didn't even notice that wheel, just took it out of the box and took a couple of pictures and packed it back up. I guess it works out for the better.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 10-30-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BoostedProbe.....sorry to keep going OT on you, buy are there any issues with getting parts or service down on thee chinese machines? I have seen alot of the chinese machines on the net, but always stayed away due to concerns over getting service or parts in the future. These Everlast units seems to be great bargain....almost half (or more) than american made units.
Does your everlast machine use a standard Dinse connector for the torch or are you stuck using an everlast proprietary torch. same question with the consumables? do you have to order everlast consumables or with more easily available consumables work with that torch?

thanks for the info.

Last edited by QuadCam; 10-31-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:46 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by QuadCam
BoostedProbe.....sorry to keep going OT on you, buy are there any issues with getting parts or service down on thee chinese machines? I have seen alot of the chinese machines on the net, but always stayed away due to concerns over getting service or parts in the future. These Everlast units seems to be great bargain....almost half (or more) than american made units.
Does your everlast machine use a standard Dinse connector for the torch or are you stuck using an everlast proprietary torch. same question with the consumables? do you have to order everlast consumables or with more easily available consumables work with that torch?

thanks for the info.

Everlast has a service centre in California and from my research, it seems like they are very good. There is contact info on the site. As far as the torch and consumables go, they are all made to the same spec as the US machines. So yes, you can just go to your local welding shop and get torch parts if you need them. Everlast does offer consumables packages as well, and they are very inexpensieve.

I did a bunch of research on these machines before purchasing, I have not really found any complaints. So, I think it's a solid machine.

I couldn't justify spending $3000 on a welder, this turned out to be a great option.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Nate76s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boosted ... I wish you were closer to me ... I would let you fab a kit up on my G. Your work is amazing and I wish I had the skill and time to do this myself.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:40 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by Nate76s
Boosted ... I wish you were closer to me ... I would let you fab a kit up on my G. Your work is amazing and I wish I had the skill and time to do this myself.
I am sure this would bolt up to the G without any issues. So it's your call.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:28 PM
1GR8350Z

Awesome work! That all I can say. I,ve already got the STS kit and this has got me thinking.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:15 PM
SwivelMan

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Now you just need to convince one of your G35 friends to come up here so I can test fit the kit on a G. Would be a nice discount tooo.
I'm just gonna pretend like I didn't read that, Sasha...toooooo tempting. Good thing I'm broke, LOL!

Looks like a great evolution of your first ST kit. I'll be following closely!
Old 10-31-2009, 06:56 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by SwivelMan
I'm just gonna pretend like I didn't read that, Sasha...toooooo tempting. Good thing I'm broke, LOL!

Looks like a great evolution of your first ST kit. I'll be following closely!
DO IT. Free install.

BTW, I am just waiting for some more parts to come in. They forgot to send me the turbine flanges, and some 2.5" IC piping. I also need to order the injectors (550cc) and a scavenge pump.

Basically I am tacking everything together then I will cut the welds and have one sample of each piece needed to build a kit. Then it will be just a simple copy, and weld up. Should go very quick.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 10-31-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:15 PM
BoostedProbe

I didn't get much done this weekend, kids and haloween took most of my time.

I did get the turbo up there, and I am very happy with how it sits. The smaller E cover makes a huge difference in how high I was able to get this turbo. Here is a few pics, should really tell the story:

I tried taking a shot so that you can see that the turbo sits higher than everything else. So it is completly safe even if you were to get yourself high centered:

I am trying to decid if I should go with 2.5" IC piping or 2.75". The 2.75" will be a bit harder to run because it is so tight in there.

I believe that the 2.5" piping should be able to flow plenty. I have read found (through some research) that the 2.5" piping can support 800+cfm of air. That is more air that a Precidion 6262 can put out.

If anybody has some good input when it comest to this, please feel free to share.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 11-01-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:27 AM
BoostedProbe

Well, time for an update. I managed to make the 2.75" intercooler piping fit just fine. It actually worked out really well. So this is good news. I ordered a bunch of stuff, so now I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Seems like Precesion turbo is a bit behind as there are many order that have fallen behind. I did get my hands on some Exa pumps as well, they should be here within two weeks.

So basically, everything is done as far as new "desighn" goes. I am hoping to have the large intercooler here mid next week so I can fit all that in and start with the 3" IC piping going to the TB. As you can see I did my best to avoid 90deg bends in the IC piping. Unfotunetly I had to have one just under the driver side header, everything else is 45deg. Should flow very well.

Here are a few pictures of how things are layed out this time around:

Now it is just a matter of duplicating every bend and welding it all together. Hal at IP will have one of these setups in his ship with a Precision 6262 and a built motor. Should really see what it's capable of.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 11-07-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Excellent work! Looks better than some big name setups.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

so i take it the intercooler piping is coming out the passenger side and up in front of the motor then to the intake similar to Powerlabs piping?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:50 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Excellent work! Looks better than some big name setups.
Thanks, I noticed that too, and I can run a 4" down pipe, no problem.

Originally Posted by binder
so i take it the intercooler piping is coming out the passenger side and up in front of the motor then to the intake similar to Powerlabs piping?
No, it will be a same side in/out intercooler. Like this one:

IC to TB should be a very short run.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 11-07-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:02 PM
boostedmaxima

Very,very nice. That's some money making skills right there. Everything is nice and tucked.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:05 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ah, nice sasha!

I was thinking you would still use that clean drivers side piping but the pictures you have show your old intercooler on there which has outlets on both sides which threw me off.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:08 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like it is coming along great. Excellent work!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome work!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:01 PM
bigcloud

Awesome as always Shasha!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amazing. Cannot wait to see it when you get done and see the numbers you put down. If you were closer, I would hire you to do my Titan while I am gone.

Quick Reply: New winter new turbo build