Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

anyone running jwt tt with greddy intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:01 PM
gen05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running jwt tt with greddy intercooler?

i saw couple guys here running jwt tt with greddy intercoolers, cant find the threads anymore. just wondering what is needed to do this intercooler conversion, there is a pipe that runs to the middle of the jwt intercooler, wondering where does that go once you change it to greddy, please provide info thanks
Old 11-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gen05
i saw couple guys here running jwt tt with greddy intercoolers, cant find the threads anymore. just wondering what is needed to do this intercooler conversion, there is a pipe that runs to the middle of the jwt intercooler, wondering where does that go once you change it to greddy, please provide info thanks
let me make a diagram, because I'm under the impression you are missing a key component to this....

greddy fmic (I=intake piping connected to plenum)
..._____________
>|____________|
>|____________>I

JWT TWIN FMIC
**________****_________
>|_______|> I<|________|<
the arrows represent the intake charge from the turbos

Basically the greddy is one i/c with two entrances, one exit to the intake mani, and the jwt is two individual intercoolers meeting together ala y pipe to go into the intake manifold.
This is one of the reasons (besides water cooling, and low end torque) I think the jwt kit is a better track kit....

Maybe this helped? But for the most part I think you would have to do full custom intake piping off the turbos. IMO if you are going to do that much work to get the FMIC to fit, you might as well buy a cheaper I/C. But don't fear FMIC piping, its a lot easier than it seems.

Last edited by Resmarted; 11-07-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added the stars to line up my uber diagram
Old 11-07-2009, 05:21 PM
gen05

Originally Posted by Resmarted
let me make a diagram, because I'm under the impression you are missing a key component to this....

..._____________
>|____________|
>|____________>I

JWT TWIN FMIC
**________****_________
>|_______|> I<|________|<
the arrows represent the intake charge from the turbos

Basically the greddy is one i/c with two entrances, one exit to the intake mani, and the jwt is two individual intercoolers meeting together ala y pipe to go into the intake manifold.
This is one of the reasons (besides water cooling, and low end torque) I think the jwt kit is a better track kit....

Maybe this helped? But for the most part I think you would have to do full custom intake piping off the turbos. IMO if you are going to do that much work to get the FMIC to fit, you might as well buy a cheaper I/C. But don't fear FMIC piping, its a lot easier than it seems.
thanks alot for you explaintion. helps alot. that diagram is great for me to understand now.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by gen05
thanks alot for you explaintion. helps alot. that diagram is great for me to understand now.
NP glad I could help!
Do a quick google image search of "greddy 350z fmic" and "jwt 350z fmic" and you can see it even better.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XKR did run the JWT with Greddy. Forged has done it a few times, Sharif said the JWT piping can be modified to work with the Greddy IC. It is supposed to be very good for helping prevent heat soak on track days as well as less restriction when making big power. Look at XKRs build in the shop builds section the pictures below are not XKR but another Forged customer.

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Just wrapped another one of these hybrid JWT850bb coupled with Greddy Intercooler setups. All of the piping was modified and created in house, and we switch to the more typical twin intake setup. The customer originally had the complete JWT 530bb Kit on the car, and like many us...eventually wanted more power.

We have found that after about 500whp or so, the JWT intercooler setup is too restrictive to continue making good efficient power. Moving to the large core Greddy intercooler gives us all the overhead we need.

Key Components:

Forged Performance S1 Shortblock
JWT C2 Camshafts
Fcon Vpro Complete EMS with Knock Amp
HKS 1000cc Injectors
Carbonetic Triple Disc Clutch

Just thought I would share.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 11-07-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
XKR did run the JWT with Greddy. Forged has done it a few times, Sharif said the JWT piping can be modified to work with the Greddy IC. It is supposed to be very good for helping prevent heat soak on track days as well as less restriction when making big power. Look at XKRs build in the shop builds section the pictures below are not XKR but another Forged customer.
so the idea is that a thicker core is more resistant to heat soak im taking it? Seems logical, but I dont have the $ to worry about that
nice pickup on that though, i now remember seeing this on XKR's build thread
Old 11-08-2009, 06:07 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^

What is the aluminum canister in the third picture of XKR's build?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
^^

What is the aluminum canister in the third picture of XKR's build?
Custom coolant overflow container that we made. This is not xkrs car, however, it's another one we did.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

XKR has a G not a Z noobs......
Old 11-08-2009, 11:57 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buy my extra brand new greddy IC kit please
Old 05-12-2012, 12:57 PM
tle.88
Banned

Sorry to bring this topic up again but I have a 03 350z Jwt TT and I want to run the Greddy intercooler. My question is can I just flip the Greddy intercooler around so it would be like an Aps intercooler? So basically on the passenger side there one inlet for the turbo. On the driver side there one inlet on the bottom for the turbo and the top one is going to the throttle body.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:18 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

orientation doesnt matter. you will still need to refab your cold pipes anyhow.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:38 AM
deanfootlong

Originally Posted by tle.88
Sorry to bring this topic up again but I have a 03 350z Jwt TT and I want to run the Greddy intercooler. My question is can I just flip the Greddy intercooler around so it would be like an Aps intercooler? So basically on the passenger side there one inlet for the turbo. On the driver side there one inlet on the bottom for the turbo and the top one is going to the throttle body.
no.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 AM
AlwaysNBoost

I ran a greddy fmic with twin jwt 530s and 850's no issues at all.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM
deanfootlong

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost
I ran a greddy fmic with twin jwt 530s and 850's no issues at all.
of course it'll work, just not like tle.88 is trying to describe.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 AM
tonyzS/C03

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deanfootlong
of course it'll work, just not like tle.88 is trying to describe.
hes discribing what sounds like a huge problem, flowing charge air into both sides of the FMIC

Or something like that

Last edited by tonyzS/C03; 05-14-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 PM
tle.88
Banned

I know it will work if I run it exactly almost the same as the original setup which is like this

I would like to know if I can run it this way

For those that are disagreeing I would like to know why, not just a simple answer as no I can't do that. Yes there charge air flowing on both bottom side of the setup on how I would like to run it. Wouldn't my setup be the same as the Jwt intercooler in a similar way? So the Jwt intercooler both side have charge air flowing going through it to a center piece which lead to the plenum/throttle body. I just want to know for sure that my setup will work right because I don't want to waste my time and money on something that will not work. Thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

I understand what you're getting at. I think the "Greddy" way the pipe to the throttle body is larger diameter than the " feed" pipes so that might be a hinderece you would have to verify that for sure. For example the one feed pipe may be 2" and one 3" and you new outlet to the TB may be 2" I would get the inlet/outlet measurements checked. They do look different sizes in the pictures.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 05-18-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 PM
tle.88
Banned

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I understand what you're getting at. I think the "Greddy" way the pipe to the throttle body is larger diameter than the " feed" pipes so that might be a hinderece you would have to verify that for sure. For example the one feed pipe may be 2" and one 3" and you new outlet to the TB may be 2" I would get the inlet/outlet measurements checked. They do look different sizes in the pictures.
Here are the piping size

(Original Greddy intercooler setup)
2.5 inches>|____________|
2.5 inches>|____________l >I 3 inches

I would like to know if I can run it this way, keep in mind this is before I add the coupler to change the sizes

But here the catch, ok for my passenger side I'm going to run a 2 to 3 inches silicone coupler, driver side bottom 2 to 2.5 inches and for the driver top side 2.5 to 3 inches 90% degree coupler. So basically both bottom sides are 2 inches going to the turbo and the driver top side is a 3 going all the way to the plenum. I have the Greddy intercooler already but want to know for sure this will work. I can take pictures if you guy want on how I would like it to be setup. By the way the original Jwt intercooler run 2 inches on both bottom sides and for the center piece, they run a 2 inch pipe to a 2.5 inch and finally to a 3 inch pipe which go to the plenum.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

If you don't mind the piping restrictions there is no reason why it won't work.