Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

oil squirter delete?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default oil squirter delete?

anyone delete them and have any issues? assembled my motor today and theres no way to use them, i would have to disassemble the whole thing and clearance the driver side pistons by at least a 1/8th inch notch is not more. which im not willing to do, guess europe specced 350's dont have squirters or wossner just dosnt know about them.

also if you deleted them how did you delete them? i just pulled the squirter out and retorqued the bolt in the hole, wanna make sure im not restricting a oil passage to something important by the extra depth the bolt is going in.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only time I've heard of the squirters being deleted was as a necessity for the fitment on the old 4.2L stroker kits that required their removal. I haven't heard of the deletion of the oil squirters being blamed for any stroker motor failures, but rather failures attributed to improper sleeve install.

The necessity/benefit of the oil squirters have been debated here in FI in the past with no concrete resolution.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:43 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think all the big engine guys notch the pistons. I've seen threads on big builds where they had to do this and a few on engines that blew because they didn't notch the pistons.

I'm not sure i would feel comfortable removing something that helps lubricate my pistons when i'm cranking out high hp.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:46 PM
jerryd87

im not worried about the usefulness like you said its a debate. i simply cannot run them due to the pistons im using. my main concern is the way they where deleted, wanna make sure im not restricting anything simply threading the oil squirter bolts all the way down without the squirter in place.

pistons are fully thermal coated so like i said not too worried about that, if it becomes a issue ill run 50/50 mix from meth instead of 100% meth

jeff they are there for piston cooling more then lubrication. the piston itself dosnt come into contact with the wall and the oil rings scrape the oil off the wall before the compression rings ever get to it. but dont wanna start a debate like i said wanna make sure im not restricting anything.

or if someone knows where i can find a little flow chart for the oil passages i cant find one lol

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-18-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:51 PM
binder

well, it's not circulating oil so there isn't anything to restrict. If the bolt blocks off the passages then the oil just stops there. The holes were tiny anyways so it's not like a lot of oil pressure is relieved from the oil that comes out there.

I wouldn't worry about restriction. I would worry about the cooling like you said 650hp puts a lot of heat into that engine.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 PM
jerryd87

yah if i run into issues with temps ill start running 50/50 instead of straight meth. i wasnt sure if where those threaded in also fed the crank and heads or not.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:01 PM
binder

Originally Posted by jerryd87
yah if i run into issues with temps ill start running 50/50 instead of straight meth. i wasnt sure if where those threaded in also fed the crank and heads or not.
I know they have nothing to do with the heads at all. The only way it would provide any to the crank that i could see is what drips down onto the crank but i don't see that a significant source of oil for the crank or even a design plan for crank oiling. I think the crank oiling comes from the block passages into the crank.

I can't think of any other job for these after looking at them except for spraying oil onto the pistons.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 PM
jerryd87

acutally finally found the oiling circuit in the fsm, those bolts thread directly into the engine main oil galley so im gona need to pull em out and measure depth and mayby put in spacers. dont think it will be a issue since it appears to be larger then 1/2 inch, and the bolts are only going about 1/8-1/4 inch deeper max. but i dont think they thread all the way flush with the galley to start.

heads will be fine since it splits off before it gets to the bolts but if they go in too far it could potentially restrict oil to the crank and rods

my dumbass couldnt find it before because i was looking for the circuit in em, forgot theres a seperate section for the oil system.

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-18-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pistons also make contact with the squirters, I ended up notching them but consided plugging the holes instead. Getting a spacer machined the thickness of the squirters was one option I was also considering. Like you said not to start debating the value/ necessity of them, my engine builder was all for eliminating them he said he builds lots of 1500hp engines (not VQs) with out squirters I ended up requesting he used them.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 05-18-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 PM
jerryd87

I ended up pulling them and even without the squirter the bolt might just barely reach the end of the threads bolt is only little longer then half inch long but from the machine face the threads start to the other side of the oil galley is about 3 inchs. Plus in not rebalancing the rotaing assembly, extra 250 for balance plus prob an hour flat rate for notching. Yup not worth the $350 imo
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
My pistons also make contact with the squirters, I ended up notching them but consided plugging the holes instead. Getting a spacer machined the thickness of the squirters was one option I was also considering. Like you said not to start debating the value/ necessity of them, my engine builder was all for eliminating them he said he builds lots of 1500hp engines (not VQs) with out squirters I ended up requesting he used them.

Last edited by jerryd87; 05-18-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 AM
binder

adding the spacers so it threads in the same depth seems like the smart thing to do.