Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: Which EMS are you using for your FI application?
Haltec
63.16%
Pro-Efi
36.84%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Haltec V.S Pro-efi

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cam timing adjustments can have a huge impact on power figures, especially torque, and especially for those running cams
Old 11-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Glex25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't the pro-efi 48 initially advertised as batch firing and now I'm seeing that you guys are saying the Pro-EFI does sequential and not batch anymore

when did this change?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:15 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
does the ProEFi come with the harness? I would guess not.

So the Proefi 128 is 3000$, while the fewer functioned 48 is 2000$

but the fuel pump control, and input/outputs on the 48 makes it quite nice compared to the haltech. Like Raj said, no cam control but how much power are tuners making from cam adjustments.

dont hear much about that.
Yes they come with the harness.

The ProEFI 128 for the z is $2499 for the ECU and PNP harness.

The ProEFI 48 is now $1574 for the ECU and PNP harness.

You can also do cam control on the 48.

Last edited by SoundPerformance; 11-18-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Nealoc187

Is it confirmed that the ProEFI 48 is end-user tunable right now or is it locked? I saw a post saying it was and then I saw a post saying it "will be."
Old 11-18-2009, 02:50 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Is it confirmed that the ProEFI 48 is end-user tunable right now or is it locked? I saw a post saying it was and then I saw a post saying it "will be."

Consumer software has been available for some time now!!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:38 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would scrap the g35 and tweak that cts-v. Thats also a much better track car as shown by its Nürburgring

potential of a stock 6.2L 550hp supercharged LS9 motor from a ZR1>>>>>>> any G35
My current build was originally intended as a daily driver that I could have fun with on track days. That plan has all been shot to h@ll.

I have been giving this more thought today. WHEN my car is finally done, whenever that may be, its keys are going to be the keys I grab everytime I head out (without my wife, of course). So, what I really need is a backup for when it breaks - My G is built, and I do tend to be a little hard on it, so it will break again. It is just a matter of when.

So, instead of spending big bucks on a car I'll only drive when my G is broken, I think I am going to buy a cheap beater. I'm going to keep it completely stock. No fuss. When the G is down, use it. When the G is operational, hide the beater in the garage. I'll use it as a work bench.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:22 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yup thats what most of us have. I need a new beater and am tryin to stay away from the forester XT. A stock turbo car would be trouble (ie money pit part 2)
Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 PM
speedsniper

Thumbs up ProEFI

I've been running ProEFI in my Z, with the Powerlab kit for over a year. its my DD, it runs great.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:17 PM
str8dum1

have you done any of the tuning yourself?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:28 PM
1ZweetZ

have you done any of the tuning yourself?
I do my tuning myself, my ProEFI has been controlling the variable cam for about 6 months, no issues. It also controlls my ETC, no issues.

Someone asked if all the features listed on the 128 were working. The answer is yes. As Larry mentioned the traction control, boost control, Launch control, etc... are all being used on several platforms, not just the VQ.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 PM
str8dum1

ya but you are not your average joe car guy.

so by your response, you have those feature working on your car?

how does teh traction control work? wheel speed vs actual speed?

Last edited by str8dum1; 11-19-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Average joe car guys tune cars? Are the results, average?

Darren
Old 11-19-2009, 08:55 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

^^ lol +1

i mean not getting into any debate on with the thread title, but i highly doubt Hal would want an avg joe adjusting his tune on a car and fock it up.... i assuming rich are talking about very minor tweaks, i believe both user softwares handle that(and more).
Not sure what the options are on haltech but you also have the can gauge on the proefi

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 11-19-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:06 AM
GBoger

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I started out at South Florida Crank and Machine. After 3 months of being told next week, and then finding out that I got bumped because a race team had an upcoming event, I decided to give GTM a try. I did throw a curve ball at them in August when I asked for them to weld in some kind cylinder supports around the tops of the cylinders. That was 3 months ago, and I am getting very antsy. On the other hand, this is the first time they are playing with flat decking the block. There likely is a learning curve on this, and I don't want something to go wrong because my motor ships before they really have the process nailed down. So, I'm kind of stuck in a catch 22. I want the short block to ship ASAP, but not before it is perfect...

My wife and I have been sharing her car, but she is getting back into her career and is starting a new job. I'm going to have to break down and buy a daily driver. I like her CTS, so maybe a CTS-V. I don't know, we'll see.
it seems like these big shops that you keep hearing about this stuff from would be able to get the right people in to competently manage work flow. To me it just seems like if the work/$$$$ is there the business needs to find a way to get it (i.e. adding employees, managing expectations better, not taking in cars that they have no idea when they will even be able to work on them. Thats just my $.02
Old 11-20-2009, 06:22 AM
str8dum1

Rcdash has learned to self tune the haltech pretty good. Some features you just wont get tuners like Hal, SP, etc to do, or would cost a lot of money extra because of the time involved to do so. Traction control can be done on a dyno, setting up a closed loop tune, etc would all be things that an end user would most likely need to do on their own.

Thats the stuff that being user friendly and having a user knowledge base is quite important.

Seems to be only a few people that actually professionally tune the ProEFI and almost zero people experimenting (at least ones that post ). At least with the Haltech, i think every feature has been experimented with by someone else besides a company developer.

But with the pricepoint and the # of possible features, I can imagine that once the ProEFI starts to get more distribution, that will all change and it will have a big user base like the Haltech

You have to use the racepak dash if you want a CAN gauge for the Haltech. ~600$

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
^^ lol +1

i mean not getting into any debate on with the thread title, but i highly doubt Hal would want an avg joe adjusting his tune on a car and fock it up.... i assuming rich are talking about very minor tweaks, i believe both user softwares handle that(and more).
Not sure what the options are on haltech but you also have the can gauge on the proefi

Last edited by str8dum1; 11-20-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:53 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Do you think that anyone would be interested in a ProEFI kit offered at around $1500 if we offered it with a flying lead harnes? Meaning that the installation shop would have to connect / solder about 20 wires to the factory harness? Or do people prefer spending a bit more money for a complete plug and play kit?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:06 AM
str8dum1

Isnt the PnP harness and 48 only 1575$ as per your post above.

i think most people are leary about hacking into the stock wiring harness to save $75, esp since the big trend is to boost and then part out within a few months.

A shop would charge at least 2 hrs labor to solder, shrink wrap etc those wires.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ZweetZ
I do my tuning myself, my ProEFI has been controlling the variable cam for about 6 months, no issues. It also controlls my ETC, no issues.

Someone asked if all the features listed on the 128 were working. The answer is yes. As Larry mentioned the traction control, boost control, Launch control, etc... are all being used on several platforms, not just the VQ.
The ProEFI forums don't support that claim. Many threads end with questions and features "pending".

Besides Tom, is there any end-user / non-dealer outside AZ running the ProEFI that posts on this forum? Where are the posts from end users that voted in the poll?

Glex I believe is one such user, but he switched from the ProEFI to the Haltech.

I'd like to hear from some end users that have some positive feedback about the end user software (outside AZ please so we can assess how manageable it is remotely). Anyone?

Last edited by rcdash; 11-20-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 AM
thom000001

I've never used the end-user software (i've seen it in use of course)....

When you live 20min away from Larry Prebis, you let him do the tuning lol

Tom

Originally Posted by rcdash
The ProEFI forums don't support that claim. Many threads end with questions and features "pending".

Besides Tom, is there any end-user / non-dealer outside AZ running the ProEFI that posts on this forum? Where are the posts from end users that voted in the poll?

Glex I believe is one such user, but he switched from the ProEFI to the Haltech.

I'd like to hear from some end users that have some positive feedback about the end user software (outside AZ please so we can assess how manageable it is remotely). Anyone?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Isnt the PnP harness and 48 only 1575$ as per your post above.

i think most people are leary about hacking into the stock wiring harness to save $75, esp since the big trend is to boost and then part out within a few months.

A shop would charge at least 2 hrs labor to solder, shrink wrap etc those wires.

Im sorry, I meant around $1300. I suppose some guys would install it themselves and like to save the $275 ??

Quick Reply: Haltec V.S Pro-efi