Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: Which EMS are you using for your FI application?
Haltec
63.16%
Pro-Efi
36.84%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Haltec V.S Pro-efi

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcdash
The ProEFI forums don't support that claim. Many threads end with questions and features "pending".

Besides Tom, is there any end-user / non-dealer outside AZ running the ProEFI that posts on this forum? Where are the posts from end users that voted in the poll?

Glex I believe is one such user, but he switched from the ProEFI to the Haltech.

I'd like to hear from some end users that have some positive feedback about the end user software (outside AZ please so we can assess how manageable it is remotely). Anyone?

Go to www.proefi.com and you can DL the software for free and look through it!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:47 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

^ That is a great deal. I will dl and give it a go - thanks. (EDIT: Actually I cannot find a download link? Is the link embedded in a forum post somewhere?)

If the end user software let's you set up failsafes, traction control, (all the bells and whistles that many may not wish to spend the money to have a pro tuner take care of), then you should really actively promote that.

When str8dum says that I've "self tuned", please keep in mind that I've had my car "pro tuned" 3 times! I have multiple maps to refer to and I know better than to mess with things that have been dialed in on Sharif's dyno. I have had great success in learning how to tune, changing tuning methods (from VE to IPW), implementing various forms of boost and traction control, changing transient throttle tuning methods.

The end user software for the Haltech is THE only tuning software and it is designed to facilitate safe, easy tuning (unlimited undo, redo, incremental changes, compare map functionality, great data logging etc). It is very hard to screw things up with just a little bit of common sense. All of the software and docs for the Haltech are at www.injectedperformance.com/haltech.

Last edited by rcdash; 11-20-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:35 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1300 is another story. for a DIY, thats a heck of a deal. 600+ cheaper than a Haltech. I might have gone that route had there been more end users locally or if my local tuners were ProEFI experienced.

Well I woulda been more interested in the 128 DIY version
Old 11-20-2009, 09:48 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

^ That is a great deal. I will dl and give it a go - thanks. (EDIT: Actually I cannot find a download link? Is the link embedded in a forum post somewhere?)

It is right on the front page.... says DL beta 1.8 software or something like that. I think it is in a red box. I know it should be bigger but it is there!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:11 PM
rcdash

Found it thanks:
http://www.proefi.com/Downloads/ProEFI%20Beta%201.8.zip
Old 11-20-2009, 06:40 PM
1ZweetZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ProEFI forums don't support that claim. Many threads end with questions and features "pending".
Not sure what your looking at, but those features are working and have been released for quite some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhrU8icT8J0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJWzcMlrEqQ

and those are old videos.

I don't know of any features that are "pending" except some of the Can gauge tuning stuff. Larry could probably answer that better.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:37 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Besides Tom, is there any end-user / non-dealer outside AZ running the ProEFI that posts on this forum?

lol ok....why do u single out az, there is SP in chicago and plenty of supras outside that he supports fine.
I mean i know what you are trying to say cause you've said it before, we are just too biased in our liking of proefi and having jason and live close...nuthugging...
If because of my biased my opinion(which i havent even really posted on this thread much) doesnt really count, then i should probably point how biased u are to haltech and everybody else should expect your opinion to not count much too....by the same standard which you are judging az peeps, you are not an avg user, you probably have talked more hal than speedsniper has to jason, and you are very close to the main dealer just like you judge us to be, so then i dont think your opinion really counts to asses how "remote manageable it is"...by your same standard. Ive seen user soft for both haltech and proefi and both are very nice, with your "common sense" you wouldnt have an issue with either, btw that common sense still isnt your avg user.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 AM
rcdash

^^^, so... the answer is no?

I haven't had a chance to look at the software yet. I couldn't get it to work right on Windows 7 office machine, but there was a support note about that on the forums. I have access to a laptop with XP. Will try it there this weekend.

Originally Posted by 1ZweetZ
Not sure what your looking at, but those features are working and have been released for quite some time.
I don't know of any features that are "pending" except some of the Can gauge tuning stuff. Larry could probably answer that better.
I am looking at the dirth of activity (and responses) on the official ProEFI forums:

http://proefiforum.forumakers.com/proefi-forums-c1/

Many questions remain unanswered (several months to over a year old). It could be that the answer to everything is "yes, it's ready and working", but you wouldn't know from that forum! Jason may be a great guy, but it's clear that this is a small operation and he needs help. What happens when he decides to move on?
Old 11-21-2009, 06:50 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL @ Raj essentially asking for AZ end users to stop posting their experiences as he continues to make jabs that cheaply attempt to question/doubt/undermine an EMS that is a competitor to the one his shop supports. If Sharif and Hal supported ProEFI instead of Haltech, guess who would be a huge ProEFI fanboy right now?

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 11-21-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Jason may be a great guy, but it's clear that this is a small operation and he needs help. What happens when he decides to move on?
LMAO You know nothing about Jason's company to be making such a slanderous assumption. Keep looking through the blinders of the VQ community that ignores what is going on with other platforms.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:54 AM
thom000001

I can't comment on the haltech, Vi Pec, or HKS ecu's on the VQ platform but I can say this.

I run one of the largest fuel systems on a street car on this forum (3 walbro's in tank, garden hose feed lol, 1000cc injectors on large rails)...and I'm going to larger injectors over winter (for even more room on E85).....
The Pro-EFI 48 controls everything, and the car drives just like stock. I don't have any stumbles, misses, hiccups at any rpm. And I have posted vids of my car at like 1K rpm in 6th then accellerating along.....historically aftermarket ECU's have a lot of trouble with Hi load stuff like that.

Just wanted to give my observations. Not saying the pro-efi is better than the others as I can't compare, myself. This is just how my car is.

Maybe we have too many options for ECU's lol

Tom

Last edited by thom000001; 11-21-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:56 AM
str8dum1

thats excellent news. one would hope that any of the standalone options would drive as stock.

hopefully that ems catches on with tuner besides the ones in this thread!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
thats excellent news. one would hope that any of the standalone options would drive as stock.

hopefully that ems catches on with tuner besides the ones in this thread!
Not a bad list of tuners to start with....

http://www.proefi.com/dealerslist.php
Old 11-21-2009, 06:46 PM
rcdash

RudeG, I'm not sure why you feel I have said or implied something slanderous. You really should be able to accept other opinions and discuss the issues rather than turning posts into personal attacks. I am happy to retract any inadvertant inaccuracy. I believe the dependence on one person (Jason) is a critical issue. It's true of many small companies and start ups. I base this assertion on the respondents on the ProEFI forums. There is essentially one person (Jason) answering all the questions. He appears to be the inventor and only developer as well. Is that incorrect? He may be a one many army but that's still a critical dependence of a product on an individual.

That said, the issue may be manageable if the end user software that has been made available allows access to the ENTIRE functionality of the ProEFI hardware. This means that even if Jason does move on, all users can go to any tuner they want and get their car retuned (whether that tuner is a ProEFI dealer or not). Can you tell me whether non-ProEFI dealers can fully tune a ProEFI? It is my understanding that to really tune the ProEFI, you need to be an authorized dealer and the license for the full fledged tuning software provided by Motorola costs several thousand dollars. Is that incorrect?

I just want to know if this really continues to be a difference between the ProEFI and Haltech or if they really are on the same level playing field as far as end user access is concerned.

Last edited by rcdash; 11-22-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:40 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

RudeG, I'm not sure why you feel I have said or implied something slanderous. You really should be able to accept other opinions and discuss the issues rather than turning posts into personal attacks. I am happy to retract any inadvertant inaccuracy. I believe the dependence on one person (Jason) is a critical issue. It's true of many small companies and start ups. I base this assertion on the respondents on the ProEFI forums. There is essentially one person (Jason) answering all the questions. He appears to be the inventor and only developer as well. Is that incorrect? He may be a one many army but that's still a critical dependence of a product on an individual.

That said, the issue may be manageable if the end user software that has been made available allows access to the ENTIRE functionality of the ProEFI hardware. This means that even if Jason does move on, all users can go to any tuner they want and get their car retuned (whether that tuner is a ProEFI dealer or not). Can you tell me whether non-ProEFI dealers can fully tune a ProEFI? It is my understanding that to really tune the ProEFI, you need to be an authorized dealer and the license for the full fledged tuning software provided by Motorola costs several thousand dollars. Is that incorrect?

I just want to know if this really continues to be a difference between the ProEFI and Haltech or if they really are on the same level playing field as far as end user access is concerned.

The ProEFI consumer software gives you access to EVERYTHING you need to fully tune your car and more. It gives you access to way more functionality than the Haltech software does.

Of course there are behind the scenes things that are not there... but you will never need to adjust those things. Haltech has things like that too as well as every engine management program out there. There are many things setup by Haltech and then written into the software.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
1ZweetZ

I know there are several guys working on things at ProEFI, it is NOT a "one man show". Why do you keep referring to Jason as if you know him? Do you? It is ProEFI, not Jason.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
The ProEFI consumer software gives you access to EVERYTHING you need to fully tune your car and more. It gives you access to way more functionality than the Haltech software does.

Of course there are behind the scenes things that are not there... but you will never need to adjust those things. Haltech has things like that too as well as every engine management program out there. There are many things setup by Haltech and then written into the software.
Excellent. This is huge because it makes the ProEFI tunable by anyone the buyer chooses to go with. I was under the impression that you had to go to a ProEFI dealer. Thanks for clearing that up.

Originally Posted by 1ZweetZ
I know there are several guys working on things at ProEFI, it is NOT a "one man show". Why do you keep referring to Jason as if you know him? Do you? It is ProEFI, not Jason.
Do I have to know him to be concerned about downstream support? The situation there is evidenced by the ProEFI forum activity or lack thereof. In any case, with the answer above, the point is really moot, so no need to worry. Tom's car is the most convincing of the ProEFI abilities. The ability to manage the power he has like stock and regulate the triple fuel pumps (not to mention all the failsafes) is very nice. I know if I ever did go with the ProEFI, it would be through Sound Performance. Their responses have been professional and to the point - and that is appreciated.

Last edited by rcdash; 11-22-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:06 AM
1ZweetZ

Excellent. This is huge because it makes the ProEFI tunable by anyone the buyer chooses to go with. I was under the impression that you had to go to a ProEFI dealer. Thanks for clearing that up.

Do I have to know him to be concerned about downstream support? The situation there is evidenced by the ProEFI forum activity or lack thereof. In any case, with the answer above, the point is really moot, so no need to worry. Tom's car is the most convincing of the ProEFI abilities. The ability to manage the power he has like stock and regulate the triple fuel pumps (not to mention all the failsafes) is very nice. I know if I ever did go with the ProEFI, it would be through Sound Performance. Their responses have been professional and to the point - and that is appreciated.
How does the amount of customers using the forums have to do with support? To me, the less people asking questions on the forums means less people have questions to ask, so support must be pretty good. ProEFI's support channels are obviously through their dealers, which makes the most sense. Their dealers know the product very well, and know the cars well. I have used factory support from other manufacturers and found I typically knew more than the person answering the phone.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:27 AM
str8dum1

i'm wondering how there are 15 people that voted for the ProEFI? Are there actually 15 people on this forum that have used a ProEFI?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:42 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i'm wondering how there are 15 people that voted for the ProEFI? Are there actually 15 people on this forum that have used a ProEFI?
That's a "dum" question. Why is it so hard to believe? I know of at least a dozen ProEFI installs at Intense alone.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 11-23-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Haltec V.S Pro-efi