Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: Which EMS are you using for your FI application?
Haltec
63.16%
Pro-Efi
36.84%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Haltec V.S Pro-efi

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:52 PM
psychoballistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haltec V.S Pro-efi

Wondering how many people are running either the Haltec or the Pro-Efi EMS. I will be switching over to standalone this winter from the Utec and these are my options for the power i'm going for. Both systems are proving themselves over and over again from moderate to heavily modded builds.

Any information on why you chose the EMS you did and the key factors in your decisions would be much appreciated. Thanks Guys!
Old 11-14-2009, 05:04 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yo chose your EMS based on the availability of tuners for that platform.

On paper they are about the same, but the more proficient your tuner is, the more power you'll make saftely, regardless of EMS.

So I vote Haltech bc I have forged and even IP closeish.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
psychoballistic

I understand that the two are very similar, and my tuner has tuned and like both.

However i'm more concerned with the smaller things, for instance the Fcon isn't an option because of all the add ons you need to buy to get it to function like these two. So for two systems such as these where most everything is inclusive within the unit to begin with, i'm looking for the stats of who's using them and if there is anything that stuck out for them when they purchased.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:06 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Both good units... I see PF Supercars in your sig... I would go ProEFI
Old 11-15-2009, 04:24 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
yo chose your EMS based on the availability of tuners for that platform.
What about people whom tune their own car? I'm planning on upgrading from my UTEC this winter also and I want the EMS that is the most user friendly so I spend the least amount of time figuring out how all the features work. I'd like to see the people that actually have tuned both of these EMS's respond here.

On paper they are about the same, but the more proficient your tuner is, the more power you'll make saftely, regardless of EMS.
I disagree, making peak power safely is a piece of cake in the tuning world. When I learned to tune my own car, I laughed to myself about how simple it really is. Tuning for partial throttle, and things like modifying the torque curve with VTC control on the Haltech are a little more time intensive.

Tuning a car isn't some black art.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:19 AM
tmarcel

Kinda hard to make a vote on this without being one-sided I've got pesonal experience with the Haltech 350Z/Platinum though and can at least give you some pros and cons.

What I like:
  • Interface - easy to navigate
  • Fullly customizable tables
  • Generous table resolution
  • Ease to set up
  • Logger
  • Cam Phasing
  • OBD2 port still functional for testing
  • Knock logging
What I don't like:
  • No control over DBW leaving throttle feeling mushy
  • CELs common because of parameters out of range
  • Lack of actual knock 'control'

Hope this helps someone
Old 11-15-2009, 05:31 AM
str8dum1

No its not a black art.

and I never said peak power, I just said power, which means the entire powerband, partial throttle etc... Of course tuning WOT is easy. You only have a few cells to monitors

The UTEC is as simple as they come. Few parameters = easy. I had a UTEC and now a Haltech. The haltech has soo different params witho no indication of what values should be, that without someone else setting up a base map, you'd spend forever trying to get it right. Self tuning support for the haltech is limited and prolly way worse for the PRroEFI (just due to the # of units out there)

So if you want one to self tune, best choice currently is a Haltech. At least Hal on here is active about answering questions. Never seen anyone on here with ProEFI experience, short of end users.

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
What about people whom tune their own car? I'm planning on upgrading from my UTEC this winter also and I want the EMS that is the most user friendly so I spend the least amount of time figuring out how all the features work. I'd like to see the people that actually have tuned both of these EMS's respond here.

I disagree, making peak power safely is a piece of cake in the tuning world. When I learned to tune my own car, I laughed to myself about how simple it really is. Tuning for partial throttle, and things like modifying the torque curve with VTC control on the Haltech are a little more time intensive.

Tuning a car isn't some black art.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:38 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by tmarcel
Kinda hard to make a vote on this without being one-sided I've got pesonal experience with the Haltech 350Z/Platinum though and can at least give you some pros and cons.

What I like:
  • Ease to set up
  • Logger
  • Cam Phasing
  • Knock logging
What I don't like:

Hope this helps someone
Good info, how often do you throw CELs?
Old 11-15-2009, 06:57 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

No its not a black art.

and I never said peak power, I just said power, which means the entire powerband, partial throttle etc... Of course tuning WOT is easy. You only have a few cells to monitors
You said "more power". You didn't say powerband or drivability. If that's what you really meant the first time then you should have said that, because it sure looks like you were referring to peak power.

The UTEC is as simple as they come. Few parameters = easy. I had a UTEC and now a Haltech. The haltech has soo different params witho no indication of what values should be, that without someone else setting up a base map, you'd spend forever trying to get it right. Self tuning support for the haltech is limited and prolly way worse for the PRroEFI (just due to the # of units out there)
The UTEC doesn't give you any indication of what the values "should be" either. But that's a moot point since you can get a base map for all the EMSs available. The Haltech does have more parameters, but many of the are optional. The Haltech can actually be more "simple" to tune than the UTEC if you use the AFR targeting.

So if you want one to self tune, best choice currently is a Haltech. At least Hal on here is active about answering questions. Never seen anyone on here with ProEFI experience, short of end users.
I'm still in the middle on this, and I don't have experience with both the ProEFI and Haltech, but I don't think you should make claims to which EMS is the best for self tuning without experience with BOTH. SP is on here just like Hal is and if anyone has a question about tuning a ProEFI I'm sure they'd be a great help.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Idk, isn't pro-efi is much expensive than haltech?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Glex25

Proefi is a locked system just like Fcon
only tuners has access to their parameters
suprised no one has mentioned that

just based on that my choice is Haltech
I had the Proefi and now have the Haltech.

If something goes off and you troubleshooting over the phone with
your tuner or whoever it is so much easier with a open EMS.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:38 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Glex25
Proefi is a locked system just like Fcon
only tuners has access to their parameters
suprised no one has mentioned that

just based on that my choice is Haltech
I had the Proefi and now have the Haltech.

If something goes off and you troubleshooting over the phone with
your tuner or whoever it is so much easier with a open EMS.
Incorrect, it WAS.

https://my350z.com/forum/product-ann...-software.html

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 11-15-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:33 PM
str8dum1

HAHAHA, your responses always cheer me up. Always to the point.

Why would you spend 1000$ more for the Haltech is you were not going to use the options like speed based boost and cam timing

RCDash has stated before that closed loop tuning is not that easy to do (which you claim is easier than a UTEC)

You are apparently very intelligent so why even bother being on the fence about EMS's? YOu can obviously tune anything by yourself

If the ProEFI can do auto/remote map switching, has multiple in and output triggers and control DBW, its a no brainer..

You said "more power". You didn't say powerband or drivability. If that's what you really meant the first time then you should have said that, because it sure looks like you were referring to peak power.

The UTEC doesn't give you any indication of what the values "should be" either. But that's a moot point since you can get a base map for all the EMSs available. The Haltech does have more parameters, but many of the are optional. The Haltech can actually be more "simple" to tune than the UTEC if you use the AFR targeting.

I'm still in the middle on this, and I don't have experience with both the ProEFI and Haltech, but I don't think you should make claims to which EMS is the best for self tuning without experience with BOTH. SP is on here just like Hal is and if anyone has a question about tuning a ProEFI I'm sure they'd be a great help.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tmarcel

What I like:
  • Ease to set up
  • Logger
  • Cam Phasing
  • Knock logging
What I don't like:

Hope this helps someone
Version 1.06 has some nice new added features.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Glex25

Announced on 9/09/2008
"We should have a working version of the end user software by end of week!"

and on 3/19/2009
"Very possible that we may have a release next week!!"

Now I wonder why I ditched the Proefi and went to the Haltech
Just putting it out there if your looking for a EMS with great customer
support and car base can't go wrong with the Haltech.

Bigger car base = more updates/more features

Last edited by Glex25; 11-15-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:38 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Glex25
Announced on 9/09/2008
"We should have a working version of the end user software by end of week!"

and on 3/19/2009
"Very possible that we may have a release next week!!"

Now I wonder why I ditched the Proefi and went to the Haltech
Just putting it out there if your looking for a EMS with great customer
support and car base can't go wrong with the Haltech.

Bigger car base = more updates/more features
Point taken
Old 11-16-2009, 06:24 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

All are relatively small companies and the products have proven themselves. Based on feature set alone, I would consider the ViPEC 88 at this point as well. From what I can tell, the Haltech does have the largest development team as well as great USA support by Injected Performance. The updates have been impressive and v1.06 is no exception.

I will only speak to deficiencies with the system I know well, the Haltech. The primary weakness of the Haltech imo at this point is the lack of even more user-definable / programmable inputs/ouputs, for which I will speculate that a solution has been in the works for awhile (an add-on input/output box that uses CAN communications). Haltech has a strict policy not to make announcements until said product/features is/are available for use, so there is really no way to know how much longer it will be for that add-on. Of course, you don't really need this add-on except for the most sophisticated set ups where you want the EMS to control/read more than the usual set of sensors, but still it would be nice to preclude buying or wiring in things like additional fan controllers, W/M controllers, failsafe circuits, input devices (like manual boost control or scramble boost function) etc. At this point, I have purchased a sophisticated aquamist controller for W/M (HFS6) and nice PWM 60 amp dual fan controller (by DIF), so I'm not clamoring as loudly as I used to for this... So I guess you have options without relying on the EMS to do/control everything.

EDIT: It is my understanding that since the stock ECU generates the CEL light/codes, you will get CELs with all/any EMS without doing a reflash of the stock ECU or removing the stock ECU.

Last edited by rcdash; 11-16-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:38 AM
thom000001

This is gonna be a one-sided poll I think. Not too many people have used both ECU's

That being said, I have the pro-efi 48 and love it. Car drives like stock. I just have 1 tune on it for the race-gas, and just turn down the boost for pump. So the tune on pump isn't "optimized" but its safe...its optimized for racegas.

tom
Old 11-16-2009, 06:46 AM
str8dum1

If the Haltech could change boost levels on the fly, it would be sweet. Using their BCS, means having to load a new map if you wanna run more or less psi.

A problem solved by purchasing a 500$ EVC i guess...
Old 11-16-2009, 07:15 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If the Haltech could change boost levels on the fly, it would be sweet. Using their BCS, means having to load a new map if you wanna run more or less psi.

A problem solved by purchasing a 500$ EVC i guess...
Creative re-use of another input like external MAP? I only learned recently that you could have both internal and external MAP sensors "read" / log simultaneously. I could have been using that as a 5V input for boost control. Oh well. Now I'm using it for the boost reference for W/M injection.

Quick Reply: Haltec V.S Pro-efi