Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How much timing under boost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:09 PM
streetzlegend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
what FI system and what power?
I have my own custom single turbo system and estimated about 400-450hp. on the VQ30 it had aboud mid 300hp's without the nitrous.

Yeah the OP has to have ignition timing if his asking for timing advice. i hope so.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:10 PM
UMW350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^an oldy but goody
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...anna-join.html

seemed to work just fine back in the day with 'the net result was on a dyndynamic was 621whp/604trq at 16.5psi of boost pressure and 100 octane fuel.'

Thats very solid power. guys are struggling to make that with multiple fails today almost 5 years later
very impressive, very interesting the rep that EMS got, I never even considered it for mine since I thought no one here used it or liked it
Old 12-16-2009, 07:15 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Well neal has been beating on 3.0's for a long time im sure u know since ur closer to him. the whole vq30 vs. vq35 and reliability with boost has always been a good topic of discussion on the maxima forum, I personally know guys that have pushed the vq30 hard, along with myself. but I have also seen alot of 3.5's fail, now it could be because there are more turbo 3.5s therefore the are higher probabilities of a failed 3.5 than 3.0. But as for my experience, I'd go for a stock vq30 over a stock vq35, just look at how much power Hal used to make, up in the 500'hp and 600wtq (but he did also go through a few motors lol, but he was pushing it to extreme's )
We were talking about sensitivity to tuning, not overall power handling, although there have been a number of VQ35s run to the high 500s low 600s. It's pretty easy to get a VQ to knock with just a little too much timing or not enough fuel and they don't seem to last very long once there is any decent amount of detonation (VQ30 or 35).
Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya thats the biggest problem with forums, 5% of the members contribute 95% of the experience. So if one person says something, it just gets repeated by the other 95% with no real basis or background except, 'well this one guy said'.....

there are some real gems of info on this forum, like the example above, just have sift thru alot of BS.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:19 PM
streetzlegend

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
We were talking about sensitivity to tuning, not overall power handling, although there have been a number of VQ35s run to the high 500s low 600s. It's pretty easy to get a VQ to knock with just a little too much timing or not enough fuel and they don't seem to last very long once there is any decent amount of detonation (VQ30 or 35).
Kinda of misinterpreted your point, in that case (sensitivity), id agree. Its pretty easy to get them to knock, both my old 3.0 and now with 3.5.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM
streetzlegend

Originally Posted by str8dum1
ya thats the biggest problem with forums, 5% of the members contribute 95% of the experience. So if one person says something, it just gets repeated by the other 95% with no real basis or background except, 'well this one guy said'.....

there are some real gems of info on this forum, like the example above, just have sift thru alot of BS.
Very true, which is why I always defend the Emanage blue/ultimate when I hear comments against it.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Brett@AwesomeZ
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Hal didn't you used to tune your Maxima on the street, not the dyno We all have to start some where, certainly you've progressed well past that. Guys like this could possibly tune their cars, possibly blow it up, but good for them for trying. You've got to blow up one or two to figure it our, right? For sure with out using the dyno he will more than likely leave some power on the table.

I do find that in the 350Z world or maybe just on this forum that their is a very odd propensity for beginners to be quickly directed to a shop, rather than encouraged to try it themselves and give the information they request. Perhaps this is the capitalistic marketing machine in action? The Nissan stuff is not any more complex than Honda or Chevy, its just fuel and air, metal and oil.

I salute the DIY folks who have the guts, to try it. It takes an investment of time and determination to get the skill set to work on cars at this level. Some folks don't have the time, don't have the location, or they just have enough money to not care, shops are good for these folks. For some of the folks who start off DIY it turns in to a lifetime career, but they to started out DIY for a time...
Well said about all the DIY stuff. Those of us that learned on our own, usually learned the hard way. I too notice that people are often shut down when asking performance related questions, especially tuning. But you've got to understand that if a reputable tuner were to give out that sort of information based on sometimes vague information and that DIY guy pops his engine... what's he going to tell his buddies? " So and so from this or that shop told me to run it like that and it blew up! Screw that guy!"

If you go out and get yourself a boosted Z33 instead of that d-series Honda with a pieced together turbo kit, you probably want to do it right the first time and not risk trying your own hand at it and scrapping a vehicle that your still making payments on.