Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Longevity of full builds, the good the bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Nealoc187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Built 6/2007

15K miles

run between 500-550whp on 93/meth (meth just added a couple months ago)

BuiltZMotors longblock w/ APS twin turbo kit

Issues:
Coolant leaks (Pathfinder cooling mod SUCKS), all fixed by re-tightening hose clamps over and over.

Ignition spark problem, fixed w/ Kenne Bell Boost-A-Spark

Multiple broken axles (have DSS pro axles now)

3rd gear engagement ring separated from the main gear (now have PAR upgraded 3rd and 4th gear

Overall I can't really complain, my car has been VERY reliable as far as modified 500+hp cars go.

You forgot to mention that these are hard miles. Trust me guys I ride with Brian a lot and he likes to race, he drives his car with the intention of racing/flooring it every time he takes it out of the garage. So these are not to-and-from-work-at-20%-throttle miles.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same with mine....amazing how fast you rack up miles when deep into the triple digit speeds!!!!!! not that I would know of course

Tom

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
You forgot to mention that these are hard miles. Trust me guys I ride with Brian a lot and he likes to race, he drives his car with the intention of racing/flooring it every time he takes it out of the garage. So these are not to-and-from-work-at-20%-throttle miles.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 PM
1GR8350Z

Originally Posted by Boozt
Stage 0 built by GTM 8.8:1 compression with high rev springs and retainers on a new block and heads
4 months...1500 miles
STS Turbo with 8psi (current) 10 to 14psi with new tune in Jan
No HP or TQ #'s yet....waiting for tune in Jan
Lost the stock motor with boost at Thunderhill raceway....suspect cause was a failed oil pump>lost a crank rod bearing at track pace>she went boom.

Sill workning out the bugs of the new motor....in the end I will be a happy camper and expect much higher reliability than my stock motor based on heavy amount of track and racing the car sees.
Can't wait to see results. I'm on the fence right now about getting the built block with my STS kit. Mine also blew the original motor but that was before I owned it and at 10psi. He said it blew a head gasket on the dyno and the rest was history. The motor had vortech for a long time and then STS.

This is thread is definitely sticky material.

Last edited by 1GR8350Z; 12-08-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by redman333
Is changing the diff fluid every 3k really necessary. Whats the normal recommended changing interval for the diff fluid.
It is necessary on the Carbonetics Diff

1. Time (months) on built motor

3 or more years

2. Miles on built motor

Almost 40k as previously stated

3. HP, TQ, PSI (all three)

503whp on FP DD, 14-15psi, at my request to stop at 500whp

4. Who built the motor (optional)

G&G Racing

Last edited by Jay'Z; 12-08-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:46 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bert you forgot the turbonetics BS even though you were not built yet.I am not built but have over 60,000 miles on a stock block with boost.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:45 PM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Good to hear it's still running strong Brian
Thanks, you too Brian. Glad to see you've solved most of your issues.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Snow-G

Time:
Built since 06' Eagle rods, Wisco pistons, Arp studs, stock heads and gaskets.

Miles:
20k daily driven, stored in the winter.

Hp:
389hp @9psi and stock exaust. Well..test pipes.

Built/Tuned by:
RS Motors, Mn
Old 12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z006
Would you do it again if you had a choice?
I have it installed and never had an issue with leaks to this point. Honestly, don't know if it is worth it, but I haven't had an issue with it
Old 12-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Forged Performance S1 Built motor installed 5/2008 ~ 10k miles
Built by myself, tuned by Hal@IP

First Setup APS Extreme TT made 550 whp and 490 tq on Injected's DD
Second Setup GTM Stage 5 made ~630 whp and 520 tq on the same dyno and E85

No issues except some strange electrical things that keep happening and obviously a lower HP number than I should have. Compression is fine, its probably some sort of electrical problem causing it. Also the valvetrain is extremely loud (Heads came from BZM) but I have had no other issues besides that
Old 12-09-2009, 04:18 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
what gasket were u using? what head studs? what did u do to fix the issue?
HKS headgasket

1/2" studs

We dont know what caused what in terms of failure. We dont know if overheating was caused by HG failure straight up (doubt it), or if clearances werent right on the block (oil analysis worse and worse), I never audibly experienced detonation but I didnt rule that out of the equation either.

I was told the pistons expanded due to HOT coolant but I dont buy that for 1 minute, if heavy duty Arias pistons cant stand 250 degree coolant WTF good are they?

In hindsight Im a fawking sucker for rebuilding basically the same way. Why I chose to rebuild exact with the only difference being Sharif doing machining vs Sam is another story, and I wont get into that. Sharif is a good guy. I know he NEVER intended to lead me down the wrong path with sleeves not 1X but 2X but in hindsight it was the wrong decision on both parts I feel.

The rebuild used the same parts, but I added fans/shroud, BC3 cams over JWT S1, Evans NGP instead of coolant, Haltech over UTEC, 1000cc injectors, CJ twin pump, meth system and kept the Greddy kit.

PFS then rewired the fans, retuned it, fixed tons of random little issues I had wanted fixed, and put a pressureless radiator cap on the car, ie no spring, Evans is supposed to run pressureless.

4200 miles later you know what happened....

I should have not gone with the sleeves, or the 1/2" studs.

Good piston/rod combo + L19's off the start for me and Id still likely be a Forged customer and be rocking my old setup making 525/580whp @ 13/16psi. Not to mention I wouldnt have needed a $10K rebuild/upgrade that was my decision and Im living with it.

At the end of the day, what p!sses me off most about my car is that I feel it will never be reliable - not reliable enough to ever drive it more than 2 or 3 hours from home. It has left me stranded numerous times, and it seems I cant go 3000miles without an issue popping up. I do like beating on it, but if time after time after time your car failed when you did so would you enjoy doing it as much or at all? NOPE, and thats where I am with my car right now...

You live and you learn

Last edited by Alberto; 12-09-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:01 AM
GBoger

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Bert you forgot the turbonetics BS even though you were not built yet.I am not built but have over 60,000 miles on a stock block with boost.
this is why i suggest the "disposable" stock block model sometimes. Thats alot of F'n miles on a boosted stock block. You've deffinitely got your money's worth...
Old 12-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Boozt

I'm switching to the Osiris tune in Jan from my current UTEC....still running the 440 injectors (DW). Any guess to peak boost on the 440's???? hoping for 10-12 psi before upgrading to the 600 DW's when $$$$ allows. Thanks. Boozt stage 0 GTM build on STS single turbo.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That Q has nothing to do with this thread, keep it on track or die.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by Alberto
????? is this a response to my question? If yes...how am I not on track? I posted my build earlier on and have some build/boost questions for guys that have been or are there now. Don't really want to go "boom" again if I can avoid it.....Whats the deal

Last edited by Boozt; 12-09-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Goo$e
Banned

????? is this a response to my question? If yes...how am I not on track? I posted my build earlier on and have some build/boost questions for guys that have been or are there now. Whats the deal
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by 1GR8350Z
Can't wait to see results. I'm on the fence right now about getting the built block with my STS kit. Mine also blew the original motor but that was before I owned it and at 10psi. He said it blew a head gasket on the dyno and the rest was history. The motor had vortech for a long time and then STS.

This is thread is definitely sticky material.
If I did it again with the STS kit.....I would run stock compression at 10:1 with a built block...no cams....upgraded springs and clips...and keep boost at 10psi. My hope is that the new tune will get back some throttle repsonse on the bottom end.......I think (hope) it's more of a UTEC issue than the 1.2 drop in compression. I will post reults when the tune is done.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:27 PM
BlinkerFluid

Built bottom end for 14 months and 24K miles.

Aries ED, Eagle, L19, PE headgaskets, stock heads and cams, APS TT, Osiris. Rods, pistons and crank done by Forged, I did the rest.

HP and TQ are unknown. It sees 14-18psi depending on the current traction limitations.

Maintenance has been normal. Oil and filter every 5K, I use Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 and PureOne filters. I've replaced the plugs once, and recently did the trans and rear dif oil. Rear tires don't last long.

As for small issues, I noticed an oil seep from one of my turbo oil drain lines during an oil change, tightening the clamp solved it.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:45 PM
zman1982

????? is this a response to my question? If yes...how am I not on track? I posted my build earlier on and have some build/boost questions for guys that have been or are there now. Don't really want to go "boom" again if I can avoid it.....Whats the deal
No offense here but we are really trying to keep an informative full build thread as far as issues had or not had, and reliability. If you have a question either search or start a thread. You could ask any of the members in here endless questions about specific parts and the thread would lose its true intentions.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by zman1982
No offense here but we are really trying to keep an informative full build thread as far as issues had or not had, and reliability. If you have a question either search or start a thread. You could ask any of the members in here endless questions about specific parts and the thread would lose its true intentions.
I'm not offended...I guess I just misunderstood the thread....

Awesome responses guys, especially Berto. This can do nothing but help everyone and as some had said this is not a shop bashing thread. The bottom line to people that have brains and have had any experience with a modified car is **** happens. Keep em comin.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats a lot of problems but more than a few are due to questionable installation. That kinda stuff can and apparently does happen, but by no means should happen to many people. Definitely shows that stuff needs to be looked over more than once and often by more than 1 pair of eyes.

Ive had so many little issues, Id have to search my old posts to see what they all have been.

* Car leaked fuel from where the AAM fuel system met the factory system. When I added the CJ dual pump I fixed this ghetto rig connection with AN fittings.

* Car smoked like a **** under decel after a 700 mile drive home. Couldnt figure it out, then noticed cheap a$$ non secure line was used for the catch can, and I replaced it with better line and that fixed the issue.

* APS TD exhaust (3") rattles on my cross member under car. Needed to be heat wrapped to stop that annoying $hit

* Tune has never been 100%, weird spot at 2000rpms with the Haltech (prolly the tune) and no matter how you adjust the load site the car bucks at 2000rpms cruising, like a bull having an orgasm

* Aftermarket fans and fan shroud was frying the fuses - it happened 3X, and overheated on the ride home. Had the fans rewired with better wiring and fuses.

* Car was leaking oil when I got home from the build pickup. Was an oil line that needed to be snugged down

* Battery tie down missing, battery moving around as I drove, would cut power every once in a while, while driving

* Front bumper/diffuser cracked/fell off almost killed me at 160+mph, lesson learned. Dont cut out center grill and drive fast.

* AAM oil pan + Greddy oil pan = stripped out threads. Have like 4 helicoils in the lower block and now run a spacer and stock pan

This is me being honest and not meant as an insult to any individuals or shops.

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-10-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Longevity of full builds, the good the bad