Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Longevity of full builds, the good the bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alberto
No matter how nice a shop owner, employee is, or how nice the "guarantee's" sound, in the aftermarket parts world, there is no guarantee!

650whp no sleeves needed, IMO for 800whp or less I wouldnt run them. If you go ahead and do sleeves, you will likely be on these forums in 2 years posting about how crappy your experience was, sounding like me trying to keep people who believe shops owners instead of honest Z owners who SHARE ALL THEIR EXPERIENCES to not do them.

Dont buy into that BS!!!!

Thread officially hijacked now....this discussion is for another place
thanks alberto I just wanted to know where you stand and appriciate the time explaining to me what you're thoughts where. Guess we will never really know what the cause of the overheating we can all only assume its the sleeves....
Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Nealoc187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hook line sinker
Old 12-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AlwaysNBoost
what do you consider a "standard build"

The way I look at it anything over 650 should be sleeved IMO i dont care what people think that vq can hold on stock sleeves.
Show me a documented stock sleeve failure on a boosted VQ engine that was NOT the result of another part failing first.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 AM
AlwaysNBoost

^ how much power are we talking?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

^ how much power are we talking?
Any power level, but your opinion is that sleeves are required for 650 and above, I'd just like to see what you're basing that opinion off of.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A cult following why because they stick together? I may be misunderstanding you but is it because they are not on the forums typing in how much power they made or not posting up you tube vids?

when i mean cult following i mean they used pop up in every thread talking about VTR.. back then it was Performance Motorsports i think.. i forgot.. they don't do it anymore.. don't get me wrong.. a couple of shops here have had cult following.. recently Performance Factory.. i don't think anything is wrong with being proud of your shop.. i'm just letting you know don't expect that the information out of the shop is going to be accurate becuase they followers will always make you feel everything is great and everything is perfect .. just like i noticed that about PF ages ago and now recently fell apart.. VTR has the same type of cult following

As for as rocky or (police officer guy lol) I dont talk to him much or see him that much to actually ask him about his car! Plus from what I have been told he got kicked off the formus. His car has been running flawlessly since build, my understanding is that he wanted to take a different route with his build I could be wrong but judging by how the car looks now I would assume soo..(or maybe it is all part of his coverup for motor blowing lol)
the thing that i noticed is that he had a build with 600+ .. then he came back with a different build sheet with different internals.. something that wasn't needed to go for higher hp.. and when i questioned it .. they covered it up and shut it down.. Vinny has the succesful drag reputation for years.. alot of his followers look at him like he is a God.. i've heard a couple nightmares but the fingers were pointed to other shops he used to work at not him per say.. always left a bitter taste in my mouth.. but anyway he seems to have all satisfied customers now.. so who knows.. but i know there were suppose to be a couple big builds out of his shop.. G's car and Paul's Roadster.. the only big build i heard of was Rocky's car

Last edited by doug; 12-11-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:49 AM
doug

AlwaysNBoost.. now i'm starting to remember you.. you were a Vinny follower for a while.. you and MRC had a couple arguments or rivalrys.. ahhhh . now i remember you.. for some reason i was confusing you with Alan with the 3.8L GreddyTT.. unless something has changed you're still VinnyWashed from back in the days
Old 12-11-2009, 07:58 AM
AlwaysNBoost

^Imo like I said "sleeves" are added security. What I dont understand is why everyone thinks sleeves are they issue(which no one seems to answer) They just say dont do sleeves you motor will lift heads. Maybe I should have asked my question differently. Here it is. How many of the z/g community are driving around the street/track with 750hp with sleeves? Is that better? Question? Lets say the internal parts you're using are good for 700+ are you not gonna push it that high because you dont have sleeves? Or are you one of those guys that are gonna ride that fine line and push the engine to its limits till one day it detonates and cracks a sleeve(because you state you can make 700 on stock sleeves. Can I ask you a question have you ever seen a vq blow up from detonation?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:02 AM
thom000001

Well I have stock sleeves, and XKR has now made some big power on stock sleeves (of course he needs to do miles now), and intense had stock sleeves on a 9xxrwhp.

Is Need4Boost stock sleeves or darton, I don't remember? My car is a toy so its driven hard, and I haven't had any issues. A good EMS is definately key too, to keep things in check.

tom
Old 12-11-2009, 08:03 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by doug
AlwaysNBoost.. now i'm starting to remember you.. you were a Vinny follower for a while.. you and MRC had a couple arguments or rivalrys.. ahhhh . now i remember you.. for some reason i was confusing you with Alan with the 3.8L GreddyTT.. unless something has changed you're still VinnyWashed from back in the days
Oh doug I remember you. You were julians shadow... Well We see how far MRC got lol And another thing playboy Like I said before a long time ago stop following people that think they know what they are doing.. You wanna talk about someone that couldn't figure out how to keep a motor from lifting heads he is one of them. And how come I never see you at the track are you one of those guys that brag numbers and sit in a parking lot and never race you car or are you the Z owner that keeps his car locked up tight like its sometype of collectable .. Spring is right around the corner and would love to go heads up with you if you could bring you car out"that is if it hasn't lifted the heads yet?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:06 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by thom000001
Well I have stock sleeves, and XKR has now made some big power on stock sleeves (of course he needs to do miles now), and intense had stock sleeves on a 9xxrwhp.

Is Need4Boost stock sleeves or darton, I don't remember? My car is a toy so its driven hard, and I haven't had any issues. A good EMS is definately key too, to keep things in check.

tom
I do believe rocky's motor has darton sleeves
Old 12-11-2009, 08:22 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a perfect example of how/why these "informative" threads go down the sh!tter.

Two idiots arguing about some crap that happened years ago, calling each other names... calling out one another to race..bla bla bla. Grow up!

Alberto and a few others are the only contributors to this thread, the rest, 5 pages of garbage that one has to go through when searching. Then, if one (new member) can't find the answer through searching, they start a new thread, these same morons that pollute all the other threads tell him/her to search. WTF?

It's always the same people too...I don't need to mention names.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 12-11-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:30 AM
alan21

over 15,000 miles on my sleeved setup with no problems (knock on wood).
Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Nealoc187

Sleeves are a liability, not added security, in my opinion. Like was asked before, have there been any documented failures where stock sleeves were the causal factor? None that I am aware of. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. That's the problem I see with a lot of Z builds. Lots of guys write really big checks to replace parts they don't need to replace, they add lots of complication to their build, and then have failures that they would not have had if they didn't add XXX part in the first place.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:40 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
This is a perfect example of how/why these "informative" threads go down the sh!tter.

Two idiots arguing about some crap that happened years ago, calling each other names... calling out one another to race..bla bla bla. Grow up!

Alberto and a few others are the only contributors to this thread, the rest, 5 pages of garbage that one has to go through when searching. Then, if one (new member) can't find the answer through searching, they start a new thread, these same morons that pollute all the other threads tell him/her to search. WTF?

you are right my friend Im sorry we hiJACKED this thread. Im sorry for getting angry but dont like when people talk trash. I was trying to reslove a problem for all of us in the community. Also one thing we need to realize is that if someone is asking questions dont jump all over them we will never figure it out ..
Old 12-11-2009, 09:01 AM
doug

Oh doug I remember you. You were julians shadow... Well We see how far MRC got lol And another thing playboy Like I said before a long time ago stop following people that think they know what they are doing.. You wanna talk about someone that couldn't figure out how to keep a motor from lifting heads he is one of them. And how come I never see you at the track are you one of those guys that brag numbers and sit in a parking lot and never race you car or are you the Z owner that keeps his car locked up tight like its sometype of collectable .. Spring is right around the corner and would love to go heads up with you if you could bring you car out"that is if it hasn't lifted the heads yet?
its quite simple.. i never built my car to track it.. now i know thats hard for you to understand.. I tracked my maxima.. it got old.. I never tracked my Z because i have something else for speed.. my Z is fast to make me feel better about getting off my motorcycle.. that and i can afford to build it and drive it the way i want it

if you're really talking about Julian and lifting heads man you really havn't been on this forum in ages.. now i see why you think people need sleeves over 600whp.. its because you don't know anything and havn't read enough.. the lifting heads story is so old.. thats when Julian and Sharif were enemies.. they even became buddies since then and Julian made a video to show the lifting heads problem was solved..

Well its nice to see one of Vinny's Sheep are still on the forum.. welcome back
Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 AM
doug

Two idiots arguing.. then you say people are calling others names.. didn't you just contradict yourself?

a little bitter about the Single Turbo thread you got shut down about? try to not let your feelings carry from thread to thread..

I know you feel you're special because you built your own Turbo Kit, but your still ignorant.. don't let it hold you back.. just keep reading and build your knowledge
Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 AM
doug

Can I ask you a question have you ever seen a vq blow up from detonation?
have you?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:35 AM
JS04

This thread is still informative. It has discussions about sleeves, and build longevity. Good information in here. If some noob comes on here and asks a question about building or sleeves then they deserve to get flamed. Anyways...........

Build:
JE Pistons, Eagle Rods, HR Headstuds/Headgasket. Turbonetics kit.
Miles: 8K

Driven about 3 days a week. I always hit boost. Cars been on a couple of road trips also. Car was only tuned on wastegate (car wasn't a priority apparently to the tuner) only made 367hp @8psi. Car has since then been setup for 12psi. Haven't been able to get to a dyno to checkout the numbers. Only problems I have are the car sometimes smokes leaving from a stop light. Also had a very small puddle of coolant under the car a few months back. Looked over everything and couldn't find the leak. Car hasn't looked coolant since then.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:39 AM
AlwaysNBoost

Originally Posted by doug
have you?
You wanna lock it the **** up or are you gonna come on this threads talking smack and trying to be little everyone you clown. whats up

Quick Reply: Longevity of full builds, the good the bad