Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech belt routing options! 2 more ideas to stop slip!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
I seem to get some squealing for about a minute or two after start up when the engine has sat overnight.
Tighten your belt down some. Try turning the tensioner bolt 1/2 turn at a time until the noise stops when you start it. I had that in the begining until Tim (oldman350z aka TIMROD) talked me through the importance of tight belts. That belt needs to be pretty tight.

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
I'm TimRod,
Here is the link to the Belt Modification Thread.
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...-solution.html
I'm making over 14Lbs of Boost @ 7100 rpm, and 2.87, and over 35,000 miles with this setup, and only had to adjust the belt 2 times.

Hay Jeff, when are you going to get that car on a 1/4 mile DragStrip?
yes, this is the man that started it all. Tim, your setup has worked great for me up to 12psi (at 6600rpm) but it started slipping right around 10psi. I think my belt needs tightening but i was also going to explore other options because i still have 1000rpm left to rev. Here is a picture of my log and i noted the slip.

The car is in the garage for now because it's below freezing. Not all of us get the joy of warm weather all year! In the spring I should be done with my new injectors and rfs. I'm shooting for somewhere in march to have Hal @ Injected to tune this beast for me. Then i'll have some track time!

Originally Posted by Jtran Studios
19.5 psi @ 6400-6500 rpm. 2.61 or 2.62 pulley on vortech setup. dayco belt. no slippage, no breakage. gtm pulley mod ftw
umm.....SIIIICK! Is that a t-trim or a standard Sc trim? what mods has he done to bearings or impeller? Im' highly interested because I will be spinning my Sc trim that fast.

anyone have any extra gtm pulleys they want to sell??

oops, i forgot to attach the log picture.
Attached Thumbnails Vortech belt routing options!  2 more ideas to stop slip!-log_slip.jpg  

Last edited by binder; 12-14-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:49 AM
binder

Jtran, after looking at that picture i'm confused on what vehicle that engine is in. The firewall shape and various other things don't look like a G or 350z.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:03 AM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
Jtran, after looking at that picture i'm confused on what vehicle that engine is in. The firewall shape and various other things don't look like a G or 350z.
FX35
Old 12-14-2009, 10:06 AM
binder

FX35
sweet, thanks!

did you see my post just above this about tightening your belts? you might give it a try before changing things around too much.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:48 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats a YSI blower that is rated to 60+k rpms.

you are using the revised setup with a 87 or 87.5" belt right? if not, you need to start there before spending $$$ on pulley mods.

umm.....SIIIICK! Is that a t-trim or a standard Sc trim? what mods has he done to bearings or impeller? Im' highly interested because I will be spinning my Sc trim that fast.

anyone have any extra gtm pulleys they want to sell??
Old 12-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

rated right at 65k rpm. if im not mistaken, this kit will be up for sale if anyone is interested. gonna do the greddy tt kit on the fx instead of keeping it supercharged.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rated right at 65k rpm. if im not mistaken, this kit will be up for sale if anyone is interested. gonna do the greddy tt kit on the fx instead of keeping it supercharged.
how much are u selling for just the blower?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:37 AM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
thats a YSI blower that is rated to 60+k rpms.

you are using the revised setup with a 87 or 87.5" belt right? if not, you need to start there before spending $$$ on pulley mods.
i have the revised setup and a gtm mod (but i used a generic pulley instead of a gtm, same setup though).

I thought the ysi wouldn't fit on the 350z or g35 due to size.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

selling the kit as a whole for any fx35 if anyone wants its. not gonna part it out. the ysi can fit but will have to modifiy to fit.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
str8dum1

Still not sure why you didnt make any power that blower. They make 800++ on a mustangs with that. shoulda made 600hp fairly easily.

ohh well..
Old 12-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

car did 16 psi last time at the dyno. since then, it has been running at 19psi. havent got it back on the dyno since. also, it is an automatic not a six speed. mustangs are making 800 on that blower boosting quite a bit more then what we are running.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an idea BINDER!!!!!!!!!!

Twin Turbo!!!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:02 PM
binder

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
I have an idea BINDER!!!!!!!!!!

Twin Turbo!!!!!
lol, that's what i'm saying....but med school bills won't allow it until i graduate. I went ahead and bought a built motor and i'm just using the vortech kit that i already have until i can afford the turbo setup.

Ok, so tonight I messed around and looked at the pulley's. With the GTM pulley doing the "under" setup an 80 1/4" belt would work. that's what i currently have on the car.

I did some tuning tonight and re-tightened my belts with my gtm mod. MUCH better for boost. It was pulling 14.57 psi at 7090rpms. I'm not so sure about reving to 8k. My tach is off at high rpm and it's coming past 7500 right now. It just makes me nervous reving that beast up that high. lol
Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 PM
350Z400rwhp

sweet, thanks!

did you see my post just above this about tightening your belts? you might give it a try before changing things around too much.
Yeah I tightened them plenty and it just won't get rid of it. I know it's weird, but I have checked the belt tension and my belt tensioner is working properly. I may have other issues causing this though I also really just like the way the Timrod method wraps around the crank and power steering pulleys for extra slip prevention all the way around. Who knows maybe the source of all this high boost slipping is not just related to the cog pulley? Has anyone ever wondered if it's the crank pulley? The more binding added with the gtm pulleys and all these sharp / steep angles the harder it is for the belt to go around therefore making the crank pulley possibly become part of the issue.

Last edited by 350Z400rwhp; 12-14-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 PM
binder

Yeah I tightened them plenty and it just won't get rid of it. I know it's weird, but I have checked the belt tension and my belt tensioner is working properly. I may have other issues causing this though I also really just like the way the Timrod method wraps around the crank and power steering pulleys for extra slip prevention all the way around. Who knows maybe the source of all this high boost slipping is not just related to the cog pulley? Has anyone ever wondered if it's the crank pulley? The more binding added with the gtm pulleys and all these sharp / steep angles the harder it is for the belt to go around therefore making the crank pulley possibly become part of the issue.
Actually after making this thread I have wondered that. I have been looking at these setups and thinking that maybe the crank pulley could slip. The PS pulley wouldn't make any difference if it slips because it doesn't power the supercharger.

Tonight i boosted to 14.57 with the revised belt and gtm pulley mod at 7090rpm. I think TIMROD is getting 14psi at 7100 rpms on his setup. That being said I don't think the crank is the cause of the slip at this point since his setup has considerably more crank pulley wrap than mine and we are at about the same boost level. I could be wrong though and do see the crank as being a place that has potential for slip.

your problem is confusing. maybe you can have someone start your car while you stand with teh hood open and try to find out which pulley is squeeling. Get a piece of tube and hold it to your ear then hold it down by the power steering pulley. when the car starts you should hear it really loud if that's it. Next try the crank, then do that over for the vortech pulley.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 PM
350Z400rwhp

Actually after making this thread I have wondered that. I have been looking at these setups and thinking that maybe the crank pulley could slip. The PS pulley wouldn't make any difference if it slips because it doesn't power the supercharger.

Tonight i boosted to 14.57 with the revised belt and gtm pulley mod at 7090rpm. I think TIMROD is getting 14psi at 7100 rpms on his setup. That being said I don't think the crank is the cause of the slip at this point since his setup has considerably more crank pulley wrap than mine and we are at about the same boost level. I could be wrong though and do see the crank as being a place that has potential for slip.

your problem is confusing. maybe you can have someone start your car while you stand with teh hood open and try to find out which pulley is squeeling. Get a piece of tube and hold it to your ear then hold it down by the power steering pulley. when the car starts you should hear it really loud if that's it. Next try the crank, then do that over for the vortech pulley.
My only concern with the power steering pulley is the noise just as you stated it has nothing to do with slip. I'm 99% sure but yea I could be wrong and it could be say my alternator pulley. I am positive it is a pulley though because it will go away or get louder if I spray belt conditioner on the belt, though I don't do this because it will just gum things up. I have my work cut out for me this winter to find out the source. I am going to start with the Timrod setup and sand blasting my power steering pulley. Then go on to my alternator pulley until the noise is gone. Just for reference here is a thread I did and some pics on when I sand blasted my 2.87 pulley. Needless to say I have never once had any slip issues but I am only running 11 psi.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...pulleys-2.html

Last edited by 350Z400rwhp; 12-14-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Hay Jeff, Just checked my last logs and made 14.30psi @ 7054rpm

Last edited by OldManZ350; 12-14-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:17 AM
str8dum1

I just checked my logs, 16psi at 6500 rpms with no extra pulleys

going to the ATI pulley would also be a good option as its almost 1" bigger. you could really pulley up the front (as the smaller pulley's can slip more)

The best advice i got about bet sizing is that you should barely be able to get the belt on with the tensioner all the way slack. following that, you've seen my logs....

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-15-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 AM
binder

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Hay Jeff, Just checked my last logs and made 14.30psi @ 7054rpm
so we're about the same then. good good, my belt slip must have been a loose belt.

Originally Posted by str8dum1
going to the ATI pulley would also be a good option as its almost 1" bigger. you could really pulley up the front (as the smaller pulley's can slip more)
i've thought about that or the Fluidamper. Both are over 6" so the vortech pulley could be increased in diameter for more surface area without slowing the blower down.