Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

3rd Annual Forged Performance Airstrip Event!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:07 AM
agallardo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
For sure Bert, learning from the Mid-A king FTW!! You HAVE to come with me next year!!!
I had a 3.3FD as well there
Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 AM
LEAVINU

Originally Posted by rcdash
Congrats to Hal of Injected Performance with his 350z and Joe Kenefic with the M6.

Pretty sure I had the fastest NA car by a lonngggg shot. Have JoeK shoot me a PM so he can ship me my trophy.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:21 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL - yes of course j/k. There was no point in making a highway run. We all know what the outcome of that would've been even on your wastegate pressure. I'll be happy with my small victory on the tiny airstrip!
Congratulations Raj!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM
BrianLG35C

It's an amazing experience - super nice folks and super nice cars, including a fully built all motor C6 putting 500 to the ground, a viper, a built up Pontiac G8, NSX, etc. (not to mention Hal's insane daily driver). So thrilling to just point at a monster car and say, let's run, all afternoon long!
How did these other cars do against you guys?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by agallardo
I had a 3.3FD as well there
Which car was yours?

Just got off the phone with the tuner, already putting the pieces together for next year so I can compete. I hate losing!!

Last edited by Cass007; 05-24-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^on the left

With ~600DD, was it just that progressive boost that held you back? Sheer # wise you shoulda been right in there

Last edited by str8dum1; 05-24-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:06 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I told a few folks the only change from last year was the untuned meth injection and the 1 extra untuned psi (15 to 16). Whoops I forgot to mention that Tony at Motordyne shipped me the final piece of the TDX 3" primaries up front just in time for this event. Very grateful for the couple extra ponies Tony! I was running a full 3" Motordyne TDX exhaust with X pipe muffler and the shockwave v2 axle back mufflers.

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
How did these other cars do against you guys?
The NA Corvette was fast. I think it got me in our one run together, but we were nose to nose at the end. I don't think the M6 and the Corvette ever ran together. I beat the M6 though. Maybe LEAVINU is the Corvette owner? I never ran the G8, but pretty sure the M6 took him. The NSX was only running mid 400s this year and put out some good runs - lost to the vette, but not sure about the others. The Viper lost to everybody and nearly took out a few cars in the process! A few scary moments for sure. I think Sharif has the iphone video or pics of it.

Alex (with the forged built black car) beat me solid, twice. RmedicX and I were even 2 and 2 and same with Dil, but both were being nice and not running their race maps since I was stuck on pump.

I think I ran down that strip more than anyone else - coolants temps were solid, brakes without fade, trans temps low so I didn't have to wait - so much fun.

By the way, my ATF temps the entire weekend never got above 216 degF, even running it hard in the mountains (averaged under 200 degF but would climb a little bit when idling after a hard run). Last year it spiked to 290F. The 11 x 11 x 1.5" cooler out front did the trick! The GTM-5AT is still running solid.

Last edited by rcdash; 05-24-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by str8dum1
With ~600DD, was it just that progressive boost that held you back? Sheer # wise you shoulda been right in there
Alex's car = BEAST (thanks again for fixing my coupler )

With the setup I had, I never was running more than ~16psi and would only get into 3rd for a few seconds. My real culprit was the flat-shift using the stock sensor as the trigger. The tuner thinks it was taking too long for the pedal to fully return and he is sending me a replacement map to load with it removed. The hesitation it caused during sifts was taking me all the way out of boost and killing any momentum the car was building under acceleration.

The lack of a race gas map may have been another factor, but Raj ran hard all day on pump and meth too. There is a small possiblity that I had a coupler that was leaking boost as well, but that is uncertain. I blew off a coupler at the end of the day and when Alex tried to put it back on he found that it would not tighten all the way and the gear had stripped out on the clamp. I got a new one from the airplane mechanics as a replacement, but the event was over by the time I was running again. Sharif said I could make a few passes to check it out, but I was a bit freaked out about driving all the way home with no boost or worse, so I just put my tail between my legs and headed out .

My car is more set up for long highway pulls from the top of 3rd through 5th gear. Now that I know what to expect, I can gear my setup more specifically for this event if I want to be more competitve, but still get smoked by Hal in the end. Many of the races were close (not mine) and were a blast to see.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:40 AM
LEAVINU

Yes, I'm the Corvette owner..

It was a ton of fun even being the black sheep domestic guy.

Rcdash and I ran and it was very close...... by the time I left off I was 1/2 car to 3/4 of a car ahead. I had to use every bit of rpm I had with that guy- damn!

I also ran the orange Z with black roof, medicx or something like that. I was ahead by a solid 3/4 of a car by the time I let off. I could hear the BOV very loud and clear so it was a great run as well. He had a passenger and I did not. Asked him after the race what kindof boost he was running and dont recall but did say it dynoed at 680rwhp ish whatever that boost setting was. Very cool guy from the NY.

Ran a blue 350Z as well that asked me to line up.....ummmmm that race wasnt very close. Not sure on power or boost for him but was glad to just get to make some runs.

Alex (Turbo NSX owner) and I never actually "raced." We made a pass together but were really feeling the track more than anything. I make 100rwhp than him and gobs of more tq than him while we weigh the same so it wouldnt be fair to show the results.

All in all I'm very thankful to Shariff and all those that attended and raced with me. It was a blast hanging will real car enthusiast and taching out some high hp motors. I was one of the lowest hp cars there (510rwhp) but held my own due to beautiful gearing and 3100lbs.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 AM
rcdash

^ and you were slamming the gears man - nice car and nice runs!

Chris, glad you got it figured out - that's exactly what it sounds like was happening - turbos unspooling at shifts. Although everyone was really nice about making the races competitive, we do need some way to equalize the playing field more objectively. Otherwise we'll have to have Hal start out in the parking lot, with his hood still open?

Chris, I think we just need to get our race gas maps man, and we'll be right there.

Last edited by rcdash; 05-24-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a friend with an C6 Vette - dynos approx 500whp

He runs close to me at 605whp, from 60-140mph I am only about 2 cars ahead.

They are def over-achieving cars given the power they produce.

NA power > boosted power
Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an amazing experience - super nice folks and super nice cars, including a fully built all motor C6 putting 500 to the ground, a viper, a built up Pontiac G8, NSX, etc. (not to mention Hal's insane daily driver). So thrilling to just point at a monster car and say, let's run, all afternoon long!

Hey, were missing some super cool guys from this shot. What happened to Randy and Adrian?
Here is another larger group shot.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Yes, I'm the Corvette owner..

It was a ton of fun even being the black sheep domestic guy.

Rcdash and I ran and it was very close...... by the time I left off I was 1/2 car to 3/4 of a car ahead. I had to use every bit of rpm I had with that guy- damn!

I also ran the orange Z with black roof, medicx or something like that. I was ahead by a solid 3/4 of a car by the time I let off. I could hear the BOV very loud and clear so it was a great run as well. He had a passenger and I did not. Asked him after the race what kindof boost he was running and dont recall but did say it dynoed at 680rwhp ish whatever that boost setting was. Very cool guy from the NY.

Ran a blue 350Z as well that asked me to line up.....ummmmm that race wasnt very close. Not sure on power or boost for him but was glad to just get to make some runs.

Alex (Turbo NSX owner) and I never actually "raced." We made a pass together but were really feeling the track more than anything. I make 100rwhp than him and gobs of more tq than him while we weigh the same so it wouldnt be fair to show the results.

All in all I'm very thankful to Shariff and all those that attended and raced with me. It was a blast hanging will real car enthusiast and taching out some high hp motors. I was one of the lowest hp cars there (510rwhp) but held my own due to beautiful gearing and 3100lbs.
Great seeing you, Alex and the gang. More the merrier, and the variety of cars helps put all of this machines into the proper perspective. See you all next year for the 4th annual event.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
BrianLG35C

I told a few folks the only change from last year was the untuned meth injection and the 1 extra untuned psi (15 to 16). Whoops I forgot to mention that Tony at Motordyne shipped me the final piece of the TDX 3" primaries up front just in time for this event. Very grateful for the couple extra ponies Tony! I was running a full 3" Motordyne TDX exhaust with X pipe muffler and the shockwave v2 axle back mufflers.

The Viper lost to everybody and nearly took out a few cars in the process! A few scary moments for sure. I think Sharif has the iphone video or pics of it.
How'd you like the sound of the 3" up front? Viper just couldn't hook up?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ToastZ
LOL @ Saturday night beer pong,... summary of top ten events of the sat. night in about this order for those not able to attend

1. Beer Pong
2. Scooter racing (forged vs injected)
3. Methanol 'Z' burnings in the payment - in front of beer pong tables by candlelight (candlelight provided thanks to Sharif to help speed up the game)
4. the guy with a pony-tail in the white 300Z doing burnouts
5. beer pong finals
6. more methanol - evidently in the barbeque cooker this time to see how high a flame it will make
7. beer pong finals # 2 (possibly rule change evidently)
8. More burnouts
9. kegs go dry
10. back to Dil's cabin for more beer

Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 PM
08NismoZ

Possibly the best race of ZDAYZ! Sorry for the crappy camera work I might've had a little bit to drink haha, and I believe that was Hal with the Ruckus edgeing ya out Sharif lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05J1FC0Y7ls
Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM
08NismoZ

Jason aka Blackbird against Dil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9bIZceKJY8
Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

I def need to come down next year even though I wont be near fast enough to run with you guys
Old 05-24-2010, 12:41 PM
08NismoZ

Here is Alex from Forged on the left and I can't remember who had the black Z on the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sub-H5dPIWo
Old 05-24-2010, 12:45 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
How'd you like the sound of the 3" up front? Viper just couldn't hook up?
It's a little bit louder for sure. Don't like that, but still no drone. I may have a little leak also. I didn't have time to mess with it too much - was running way behind to get to ZdayZ. There are some new midpipes that are supposed to be part of the new TDX system, but my old pipes fit so I left it. Need to get the full system put on this week - will report in the I/E forum in a week or so.

Exactly, the Viper couldn't hook up. He said he was running 30 psi on one rear tire and 50 psi in the other? So he let air out of one. Lots of folks were kind of scratching their heads about that. Not sure what all the issue(s) were exactly but traction was definitely one of the problems. Since he couldn't beat Paul's GTR, I figured there was no point racing it and risking my neck in the process. It sure was a pretty car though. Surprised no pics of the mishap have revealed themselves yet...

Last edited by rcdash; 05-24-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 3rd Annual Forged Performance Airstrip Event!