Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

3rd Annual Forged Performance Airstrip Event!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ahh you shoulda just unhooked your BOV. easy fix

Originally Posted by Cass007
Alex's car = BEAST (thanks again for fixing my coupler )

With the setup I had, I never was running more than ~16psi and would only get into 3rd for a few seconds. My real culprit was the flat-shift using the stock sensor as the trigger. The tuner thinks it was taking too long for the pedal to fully return and he is sending me a replacement map to load with it removed. The hesitation it caused during sifts was taking me all the way out of boost and killing any momentum the car was building under acceleration.

The lack of a race gas map may have been another factor, but Raj ran hard all day on pump and meth too. There is a small possiblity that I had a coupler that was leaking boost as well, but that is uncertain. I blew off a coupler at the end of the day and when Alex tried to put it back on he found that it would not tighten all the way and the gear had stripped out on the clamp. I got a new one from the airplane mechanics as a replacement, but the event was over by the time I was running again. Sharif said I could make a few passes to check it out, but I was a bit freaked out about driving all the way home with no boost or worse, so I just put my tail between my legs and headed out .

My car is more set up for long highway pulls from the top of 3rd through 5th gear. Now that I know what to expect, I can gear my setup more specifically for this event if I want to be more competitve, but still get smoked by Hal in the end. Many of the races were close (not mine) and were a blast to see.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a blast!!! The highlights in no particular order:
1) Airstrip Run - Really got to see what my car can do.
2) trip from airstrip to Fontana. I led a pack of about 12-15 of some of the fastest Z's in the country
3) Winning the go pro camera and doing my happy dance on my seat.(Thanks for picking my # Sharif) I only put 75 tix in there.
4) running the dragon over and over.
5) Getting to meet some fantastic venders and some of the coolest guys in the country and finding that we all have the same interests...fast VQ's! ...priceless.
I have some videos to upload too and some truly amazing pics. Just got home too late to bother. Looking forward to next year.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:48 PM
rrmedicx

The whole rolling start thing was a little weird, but I made the best of it. I was kinda hoping to get my 2 step programming figured out. I thought the strategy would have been to get to 35 mph as quickly as possible and maintain until we got to the line and hammer it from there, but everyone seemed to have a different strategy, slow to the line than as you approach increase so boost would be increasing...smart, then there was Raj, in his attempt to brake boost, seemed like with all the different strategies, finding one that worked was the key. I couldn't get into that groove, and so I won some and lost some. But nonetheless I was smiling all day long...This was a great experience. Thank you Sharif. Didn't get a chance to race Hal and I'm kicking myself for it. Raced a lot of people...Raj, Cass, Mr. Corvette, Jason, Dil, Adrian, to name a few and many more. My car was probably heat soaked about halfway through the day, although temps were good, I think I lost a little edge. Already thinking about some more go fast-er mods for next year. Watch out fella's! I'm coming for you... Muhahahahahahahahaha.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:15 PM
agallardo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
Which car was yours?

Just got off the phone with the tuner, already putting the pieces together for next year so I can compete. I hate losing!!
Mine is the black one with the front splitter and rear diffuser. I helped you fix your boost leak
Old 05-24-2010, 02:16 PM
agallardo

Originally Posted by 08NismoZ
Here is Alex from Forged on the left and I can't remember who had the black Z on the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sub-H5dPIWo
Yeah, thats mine on the left, but Sharif driving it Beating HAL!!! (before he warmed up his tires....) at least thats his excuse. HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 05-24-2010, 02:18 PM
rrmedicx

In case anyone was wondering, Adrian's car (Yellow Z) is up and running...a blown relay (not fuse). So no major catastrophe or ECU. He is on his way back to NY now!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and concern. (Russell, Sharif and Phil to name a few)

Last edited by rrmedicx; 05-24-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
In case anyone was wondering, Adrian's car (Yellow Z) is up and running...a blown relay (not fuse). So no major catastrophe or ECU. He is on his way back to NY now!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and concern. (Russell, Sharif and Phil to name a few)

Great to hear that it was something fairly easy.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:40 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Glad everyone had a good safe time. Looking at the pictures reminds me of how much fun I had back in 07 and 08.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:27 PM
rrmedicx

One quik vid. More to come. I believe this is the 25 psi of RRMEDICX vs. 25 psi of Jason G.

rrmedicx is running Greddy Twins w/Hybrid 20G vs. Jason Blackbird's Stage 5 GTM TT kit. Not a bad run. Pretty closely matched up.

Last edited by rrmedicx; 05-24-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:37 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

^I would like to see a good, solid ban to whoever filmed that lol......cool vid though.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:49 PM
rrmedicx

I had a number of folks that wanted a ride so I am not sure who it was this particular run, but I appreciate any help to video any of the runs for your viewing pleasure. LOL
How come you didn't show up?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM
rrmedicx

Here is another run. Adrian with his JWT Twin vs. Ryan with his TT HR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBbml9TEe6w

Here is me vs. Jason in his G35 TT Blackbird
If I remember correctly this was our first run. I was 17 psi and he was 26psi or something like that both on E-85. This was fun! Round 1. He got me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y9eMqsH-2o
Old 05-24-2010, 03:55 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
I had a number of folks that wanted a ride so I am not sure who it was this particular run, but I appreciate any help to video any of the runs for your viewing pleasure. LOL
How come you didn't show up?
Some things at work prevented me from being able to get down.....hopefully next year. Have to play it by a year.

Looks like your car was running quite strong.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:58 PM
rrmedicx

It was great that the majority of cars were pretty evenly matched. No one aside from Hal really walked away with a huge lead. That's what made it fun.
Then came vehicle management. Running certain folks back to back led to some heat soak issues, which some certain individuals took clear advantage of...lots of fun! It became as much of a psychological game as it was a physical power advantage. LOL
Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
rrmedicx

One more vid for Dil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tIIPHxmT3Y

Great run!! Gotcha Biotch! See you next year buddy!

Last edited by rrmedicx; 05-24-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:03 PM
IslandZavage

how long is that airstrip?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 PM
rrmedicx

It was a little bit more than 1/4 mile if I am not mistaken.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:25 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

3075 feet or over 1/2 mile, but space needed for the start and braking so only a little more than 1/4 mile for the rolling run... Nice runs zmedic. I talked to Asheville airport last year and they would be willing to allow use of their 1+ mile runway provided we could get organized really early and get committments from lots of folks. More money, more responsibility makes it a bigger headache and less fun for the organizer. But if someone really wants to go for it, I can forward the e-mails.

Last edited by rcdash; 05-24-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

too bad we cant organize a top speed 1 mile event. i think a few of us have setups that could crack 200 mph
Old 05-24-2010, 04:43 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by rcdash
3075 feet or over 1/2 mile, but space needed for the start and braking so only a little more than 1/4 mile for the rolling run... Nice runs zmedic. I talked to Asheville airport last year and they would be willing to allow use of their 1+ mile runway provided we could get organized really early and get committments from lots of folks. More money, more responsibility makes it a bigger headache and less fun for the organizer. But if someone really wants to go for it, I can forward the e-mails.
I think there are some genuine safety issues when you talk about 3k-3.5k feet of open throttle. You are going to get some cars over 160+. There would need to be some level of technical inspection (tires, a cage, etc) for that kind of speed. Call me a wuss, but I'd hate to see someone have a tire cut down at 160-170 and have no cage, harnesses, etc.

Originally Posted by str8dum1
too bad we cant organize a top speed 1 mile event. i think a few of us have setups that could crack 200 mph
Probably.

Quick Reply: 3rd Annual Forged Performance Airstrip Event!