Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Road and Track Article...Stillen Supercharged 350Z vs Motorex All Motor 350Z.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:24 PM
OCG35Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road and Track Article...Stillen Supercharged 350Z vs Motorex All Motor 350Z.

Sorry, guys i saw this magazine at my friends house. Hopefully somebody can scan the article. Basically its 4 350Z's being tested by Road and Track. Each 350Z is moded by a differant tuner.

The two that stick out of the bunch is the Stillen Supercharged 350Z, and the Motorex 350Z that is more of a Jim Wolf Technologies 350Z.

The Stillen 350Z did 0-60 in 5.3 and the 1/4 mile in 13.9 if i remember correctly.

And the Motorex 350Z that had JWT Flywheel, JWT, Camshafts, & the Popcharger did 0-60 in 5.1 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 13.7

Anyways i thought that was pretty intersting.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:27 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Whats interesting is how deep Jim Wolf's pockets have gotten over the years. Can you say "paid off."
Problems with these articles is that you can never prove funny business because there are so many variables to point to. That article flies in the face of all the research the 18,000+ members on this site have done.
Wonder how many sales JWT will make off that article?
Old 10-27-2003, 11:31 PM
OCG35Coupe

Blah blah blah...

Road and Track and Jim Wolfe are in bed....
Old 10-27-2003, 11:37 PM
EnthuZiast

Yeah...because that never happens
Wake up. 350HP off just those mods? Do you care to explain?
I remember when the company I work for "earned" some positive publicity from the Wall Street Journal. What a coinsidence.....it was just after the new president took over and we poured over 5 mil. into our advertising budget. Sure helped our sales that the Wall Street just happen to give us a great review right as our new president took over.
oh wait I dont know what Im talking about???blah blah blah
Old 10-28-2003, 06:09 AM
spazpilot

No cam will give you that much power unless it is so radical it could not run on the street. I am willing to bet the stillen could eat motorex's lunch in a drag. FI will win.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:43 AM
orhanz33

those times are what most people are running stock . . .
Old 10-28-2003, 07:54 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by durobred
those times are what most people are running stock . . .
I've run quicker than BOTH those cars and I'm completely stock HP wise.

Futhermore...I don't think that JWT and Road and Track are in "bed". The Motorex 350Z ran a pretty average time and trap for a modded Z. The Stillen S/Ced car ran an absolutely HORRIBLE time for an FI car. It only trapped 104mph for god's sake....I'll be near that STOCK in cooler weather.

That article is a joke and so are the R&T drivers...
Old 10-28-2003, 09:22 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

First some guys attacked Mossy Z's dynos because it did not fit into their expectations. Now, others are attacking JWT because they are getting good results off of their set up with CAMS. These two situations seems to reinforce each other. Both had NA cars with cams etc.

I doubt Brembo or Stillen would allow their cars to be represented as performing low so JWT could look good.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:36 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Experienced Z owners will always run better times than some generic magazine test-car driver that hops in the Z for probably the first time.

How long did it take you to learn how to launch it? Judging from the times they got, it sounds like they dumped the clutch at 3000rpm. Horrible ET's but not-to-far-off trap speeds.

The Motorex 350Z car was probably running the JWT cam/ecu combo thats in R&D right now. We can only hope that this setup will net 350 crank hp, but I dont think 50-60 hp is impossible.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:21 PM
swifty949

Originally posted by EnthuZiast
Yeah...because that never happens
Wake up. 350HP off just those mods? Do you care to explain?
I remember when the company I work for "earned" some positive publicity from the Wall Street Journal. What a coinsidence.....it was just after the new president took over and we poured over 5 mil. into our advertising budget. Sure helped our sales that the Wall Street just happen to give us a great review right as our new president took over.
oh wait I dont know what Im talking about???blah blah blah
although it may be true in many instances (you can even buy the Motor Trend car of the year award!) I doubt Jim Wolfe has that much income. I dont recall seeing any big Jim Wolfe advertisments.

If i were to have my Nissan tuned i would go to JW over Stillen any day.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:51 PM
EnthuZiast

I agree. I didn't mean my statement to be overboard but people dont relaise that it is a business of relationships and profit.
If our members cannot get near that HP out of those mods than most likely the mag guys cannot either.
Plus that guy responded to what I was saying like a total @ss "blah blah blah"
The day a supercharged Z cannot beat a lightly modded Z is the day I will start buying 2F2F stickers to add HP to my car.

Old 10-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing the cam/ecu combo as well for JWT. If the rev limit was raised and the springs and retainers were changed, I believe they could pull around 351 crank hp at 7500+ rpm with a well-mapped ecu. JWT certainly has the skills. It seems strange they didn't mention the ecu, but this wasn't a very well done article by any other account. It seems hard to believe that JWT recieved bias though, I can't imagine Jim or Clark or any member of MotoRex bedfellowing to promote false specs. They don't need to, which is why I agree with swifty949- rather go straight to JWT than Stillen for Nissan tuning.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:46 PM
EnthuZiast

I think JWT makes great product. And it dosent have to be as extreme as doctoring specs but my point was that big companys often have behind the scenes relationships. And how can anyone disprove HP #s when we all know you can almost never rely completely on a DYNO. Thats what makes it easy to juice up your numbers and not worry about being called a liar. There is no way to be "proven" wrong.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:05 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by EnthuZiast
I think JWT makes great product. And it dosent have to be as extreme as doctoring specs but my point was that big companys often have behind the scenes relationships. And how can anyone disprove HP #s when we all know you can almost never rely completely on a DYNO. Thats what makes it easy to juice up your numbers and not worry about being called a liar. There is no way to be "proven" wrong.
The one thing that levels the playing field in the article is 0-60 times. If they are all done on the same day, the only issue is how they launch each car. I am sure each car needs to be launched a different way depending on hp etc. Bottom line is the Stillen still did poorly in that test compared to the underdog, JWT car. I think most of us would have thought the SC Z would destroy the NA car.

I think that an ATI SC car and the PE TT car would clearly out do the NA car. After all, 368rwhp on the ATI and 400rwhp claims on the PE TT. If these cars can get some traction, they should be be in the low 4's easily.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:33 PM
EnthuZiast

If these cars can get some traction, they should be be in the low 4's easily.
I dont know about EASILY!
But they should be faster than they were.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you EnthuZiast, dyno #'s mean nothing in and of themselves. It would be a huge insight to have the before and after #'s from the same dyno though for each car. But, then, this article was far from having any really useful info. More controversy than hard facts it seems to me. But the FI cars should have put better numbers than JWT/MotoRex's NA Z. So, looking at it like zland did by the little recorded data presented, the Greddy kit looks pretty lame for the money, the Stillen looks like a complete waste of money, JWT are Nissan tuner gods with the stickiest tires of the bunch, and the Brembos are the "absolute best brakes" possible while not having the best braking distance and being the noisiest, most rackety of the bunch. Man, I love good reporting.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Javi

I've been in love with cars way before I had my drivers license, thus I have been a car nut all my life. I'm sure there are more members like me that can recall the 300zx SMZ. It was a piece of crap. They advertised 400hp and yet the car did low 14's in the 1/4 mile. On the other hand the JWT 300zx cars did easily 12's. Not only did I saw that in the magazines R&T and MT, I personally had many friends who went both sides (Stillen and JWT) and the JWT cars where the fastest. The 1st car that broke in to the low 11's in the 1/4 mile here in PR (we are talking in the year 1995 here) was a JWT equipped car. Those with Stillen parts weren’t even close to those JWT's cars…actually they where pathetic. I'm pretty sure that the article is pretty close to reality. It seems that history is repeating itself.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:49 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Stillen has been reselling rebadged JWT ECU and POP chargers for quite a while now. The only thing that they seemed to make for the 300ZX was the exhaust system, if im not mistaken.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Ralphus

It's a C... O...N.................... ............. spiracy.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:27 AM
swifty949

some more background...i havent seen the article, but i assume its written by Sam Mitani. A good drinking friend of motorex....didnt mean to add more fuel to the conspiracy.

I really think Stillen has been far overated. Thier SC system does not address the issues, in fact it works around it, such as adding an additional injector, adding an intercooler...these are issues that should have already been worked out before the release of the kit. It should come with the ECU in the frist place.

Quick Reply: Road and Track Article...Stillen Supercharged 350Z vs Motorex All Motor 350Z.