Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

***ProEFi 128 Unit w/FlexFuel Review***

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

plus the can gauge, plus the flex fuel, plus the MAP, plus the boost control solenoid, plus the tuning harness.....

but if you want to sell me his exact ProEFI Setup for 2000$, I'll buy it right now!!!

Last edited by str8dum1; 04-02-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:46 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I thought that was the March Madness price? Still going? Cool. Cheers to April Madness.

Jump on this deal fella's!!! Too good to pass up for top quality EMS.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 AM
dutchboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Wow, that's a steal.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:02 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
plus the can gauge, plus the flex fuel, plus the MAP, plus the boost control solenoid, plus the tuning harness.....

but if you want to sell me his exact ProEFI Setup for 2000$, I'll buy it right now!!!

Yeah sure but all of that stuff if either optional or non existent on every other standalone too. Not like any standalone comes with a flex fuel sensor you know so it is not fair to say that the ProEFI is $4000. That is misleading. The only other system that I know of that can do flexfuel anywhere near as well as the ProEFI is a Motec and go ahead and price one of those out with all the same options and be ready for sticker shock!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:19 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its not misleading because he is reviewing a setup that costs almost 4000$.

and you are right, there is nothing on the market in that price range does has all the features of the PROEfi.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:29 AM
1ZweetZ

What an AWESOME street car! Nice build, and nice review! Congratulations on a VERY well thought out street car!

He is actually reviewing a setup that is probably closer to $20k with the engine build, turbo kit etc... $2k for the ProEFI setup and what that setup allows him to do with additional investments is a STEAL! What is your engine worth??? People will spend 15 to 20k on a build and hardware, then they want to control the most expensive part of the car (and the most likely to break when not set up right) with the cheapest possible solution. No one even mentioned all of the safety features of the ProEFI.

BTW, going on 3 years... rock solid idle and performance from the 48 unit! No issues or hiccups what so ever! Definately a tuner related problem there RC! Looks like those problems are behind you now though!

Last edited by 1ZweetZ; 04-02-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

the proefi 128 surpasses all other ems capabilities at this point. with the can gauge and usb cable it would come to about 2700 and allow full datalogging and take care of the gauge displays... pretty reasonable. too bad haltech didnt come through with their i/o box and multimap functionality...

edit: oops forgot about the separate harness cost - $3600 with that...

Last edited by rcdash; 04-09-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:17 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome Review!!
Old 04-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CAN control? Could someone elaborate more on what this is? Or is it like Raj said, just a USB connect and data logging?

The Pro-EFI 128 seems sweet, but I'm not sure what it can do that the ViPEC cannot I am very happy for you Randy, enjoy your new power
Old 04-03-2010, 05:58 AM
rrmedicx

I am including a brief video of the CAN gauge and some of its features. I am just a noob with this as I have had the car for less than 72 hours. But just to demonstrate how easy it is to toggle between views and make adjustments to something like Boost using the custom I-Boost Control ****. see Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELtsIUk2ft8
Old 04-03-2010, 06:10 AM
rrmedicx

You-tube issues vid will be up soon..
Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
rcdash

vipec looks good too Cass, but until there is good support, it's not really ready. case in point is that traction control is just now being enabled for the proefi on this platform. vipec is going to have to go through the same maturation process before you'll be able to realize its full potential... and by that time support will have moved on to the next generation of cars.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by rcdash
vipec looks good too Cass, but until there is good support, it's not really ready. case in point is that traction control is just now being enabled for the proefi on this platform. vipec is going to have to go through the same maturation process before you'll be able to realize its full potential... and by that time support will have moved on to the next generation of cars.
Very cool info on the gauge, TY. How is the traction at higher boost? Is it progressive boost by speed/gear, or just need to pedal it a bit to find the limit of traction? Oh, how cool is that "kid on Christmas morning" feeling you get every time you go out for a drive .

Raj, I hear you, without dealers and more shops using it, the chances of it becoming a normal option are slim. Hope to see both of you guys at the airstrip in a couple of months
Old 04-03-2010, 11:48 AM
rrmedicx

Aside from punching it from 60mph on the highway and speeding up to about 120mph (many, many times), I know that I broke the tires loose easily in 1-4 gears. I will admit that part of that is due to the off camber alignment. I made so many changes to my car's suspension while it was apart or in different stages of rebuild that I have still not had a chance to get a proper alignment. In fact, I have yet to replace the control arm bushings. Just bought some Whiteline Urethane replacements. The stocker's are mush.

Last edited by rrmedicx; 04-03-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:00 PM
IslandZavage

Now when the traction control is working and u floor it in a straight line that's gonna be insanely sweet/fun!

So when can we expect some video runs? (Computer generated of course)
Old 04-03-2010, 05:43 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

i can't focking wait to try it!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:04 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by Cass007
Very cool info on the gauge, TY. How is the traction at higher boost? Is it progressive boost by speed/gear, or just need to pedal it a bit to find the limit of traction? Oh, how cool is that "kid on Christmas morning" feeling you get every time you go out for a drive .

Raj, I hear you, without dealers and more shops using it, the chances of it becoming a normal option are slim. Hope to see both of you guys at the airstrip in a couple of months
I would imagine that there are a number of different boost & speed related protocols that Larry could set-up for me, but without the traction control in place, there are going to be limitations on what is available...i.e. Speed dependent boost. If I am spinning in 2nd gear, without wheel speed sensors reading correctly, it may assume I am traveling faster than I actually am. The car needs to be able to read the front wheel speed sensors to get real speed. Know what I mean? So in a short time, maybe this coming week, Jason at ProEFI may very well have the codes worked out and ready for active use. That's my loss.
Unless Larry has something up his sleeve for getting me linked into his computer remotely, I am stuck without traction control it until my next visit.
Or i could ship him my 128 box since my Z is not my daily driver. We'll work something out.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

I have the exact same issue, wheel speed sensors. ViPEC should have a big software upgrade by the end of the summer, but for now the best I can do is progressive gear based boost.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:44 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
I would imagine that there are a number of different boost & speed related protocols that Larry could set-up for me, but without the traction control in place, there are going to be limitations on what is available...i.e. Speed dependent boost. If I am spinning in 2nd gear, without wheel speed sensors reading correctly, it may assume I am traveling faster than I actually am. The car needs to be able to read the front wheel speed sensors to get real speed. Know what I mean? So in a short time, maybe this coming week, Jason at ProEFI may very well have the codes worked out and ready for active use. That's my loss.
Unless Larry has something up his sleeve for getting me linked into his computer remotely, I am stuck without traction control it until my next visit.
Or i could ship him my 128 box since my Z is not my daily driver. We'll work something out.
I doubt you'll need to do any such thing, if you've got a CAN USB cable so you can flash the box from your laptop. Even if you don't I'm sure you can find a ProEFI dealer closer to home that can get your unit updated...
Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Reid@SP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy, thanks so much for the review! It's always nice to hear how the customer is doing after the car leaves the shop. This was quite the write-up! I hope that you continue to enjoy your beast that remains incredibly safe and cheap to cruise around in!! (Not something many can say).

By the way, I feel like the video never really did this car justice, it is a straight up BEAST!! The shop was rumbling when those wastegates started screaming! Not to mention the flame thrower action out the back. These twin turbo Z/G's continue to impress.

Reid

Quick Reply: ***ProEFi 128 Unit w/FlexFuel Review***