Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Ross's Twin Turbo build ::PIC HEAVY::

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you trailer cars with street tires?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 AM
zen350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice lookin ride.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtrojan2008
Lol the act doesn't hold at all. Waste of a trans pull...at least i can drive it. Looking hard at southbend, deciding between the full face or six puck, either will work holding 690 and 750 tq, respectively. Not a big fan of the twin disk in my z32.
Even if you're not a fan of it just remember that twin disks aren't goign to be near as stiff on the pedal as a twin disk that holds the same torque. My os giken twin disk engages pretty harsh but i'd rather deal with harsh engagement knowing i won't ever be stranded. My leg is never tired because the pedal pressure is soft. Southbend will hold and still have some harsh engagement but the pedal pressure will be quite a bit more.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
ashtrojan2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
you trailer cars with street tires?
Well when you have a nice trailer and a nice truck and more than one person riding with you... Why not?
Besides as proven here you can break stuff at the track with street tires. I can pull good 60fts on street tires. Glad we brough the trailer or it would have taken an extra 8 hours instead of 4.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:10 PM
ashtrojan2008

Originally Posted by zen350z
nice lookin ride.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by binder
Even if you're not a fan of it just remember that twin disks aren't goign to be near as stiff on the pedal as a twin disk that holds the same torque. My os giken twin disk engages pretty harsh but i'd rather deal with harsh engagement knowing i won't ever be stranded. My leg is never tired because the pedal pressure is soft. Southbend will hold and still have some harsh engagement but the pedal pressure will be quite a bit more.
Well I like a stiff clutch
Besides I don't have the cash for an os giken or any other twin for that matter. My jwt didn't strand me I'll give it that. A tough single such as southbend is exactly what I want, like the 260 which has a damn stiff 4 or 6 (cant remember, been a while) puck act.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:37 PM
ashtrojan2008

couple of vids. first is my first dip into the 11's, utec, borla, 461 dd, etc

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7rASGvaD1g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7rASGvaD1g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

here is my clutch biting the dust friday

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zlBRP-XyRe4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zlBRP-XyRe4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

ross
Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 AM
binder

Originally Posted by ashtrojan2008
Thanks!

Well I like a stiff clutch
Besides I don't have the cash for an os giken or any other twin for that matter. My jwt didn't strand me I'll give it that. A tough single such as southbend is exactly what I want, like the 260 which has a damn stiff 4 or 6 (cant remember, been a while) puck act.
Then southbend would be the way to go. I'm pretty sure Tom was using the full face stage 5 from southbend and he loved it. I can't remember exactly but in one of his posts (i think he lasted update) he said something about the full face working better for his high hp than the puck disk. Go check to make sure.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 AM
ashtrojan2008

Then southbend would be the way to go. I'm pretty sure Tom was using the full face stage 5 from southbend and he loved it. I can't remember exactly but in one of his posts (i think he lasted update) he said something about the full face working better for his high hp than the puck disk. Go check to make sure.
will do. thanks man
Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Glex25

I opted for the Southbend Stage 5 FE full face also after seeing thom's car being able to hold high torque.

I had the ACT HD before but never pushed it to it's limit, it held fine with 457whp and 430 tq.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:53 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Glex25
I had the ACT HD before but never pushed it to it's limit, it held fine with 457whp and 430 tq.
That was on a vortech right? The torque on a s/c comes on a lot softer than the turbo setups so it doesn't stress the clutch near as much. Plus if you didn't hammer it much then it wouldn't have failed yet Ross's JWT actually held the power for his dyno pulls on that system and all his driving but it eventually failed because it was probably slipping a little bit every time he got on the gas.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Total D

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Im for OS Giken as well. Jeff what model do you have by chance? On one my cars I'll be running a R3C setup. What do you recommend on the Z? Power wise/tq, not sure yet its up in the air.

Ross, glad my car is already torn apart. seems like you guys are breaking everything hahah starting with my roof on my car lol. Couple more weeks till I get out of Iraq WOOT. I think what you found on the Southbend will do fine for you as well.

JJ
Old 11-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Glex25

That was on a vortech right? The torque on a s/c comes on a lot softer than the turbo setups so it doesn't stress the clutch near as much. Plus if you didn't hammer it much then it wouldn't have failed yet Ross's JWT actually held the power for his dyno pulls on that system and all his driving but it eventually failed because it was probably slipping a little bit every time he got on the gas.
APS TT with methanol kit
Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 AM
usarmy1113

Nice thread but I have to question the DIY when you clearly have your own shop and welder lift ect. Still the same nice build. It seems like your a mechanic or a son of a mechanic? When i think of DIY I think of not having a shop with a lift or a welder or a ****ing huge *** garage.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:03 AM
usarmy1113

Was saying that in laughter not trying to sound like an ***. I wish I had those resources!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Total D
Im for OS Giken as well. Jeff what model do you have by chance? On one my cars I'll be running a R3C setup. What do you recommend on the Z? Power wise/tq, not sure yet its up in the air.

JJ
I just have an OS twin disk for a 2003. I'm not sure the model number. The only 2 choices i had were aluminum back plate or steel and i went with steel. Something like T2bd or whatever. It will hold way more than i can throw at it.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Total D

I just have an OS twin disk for a 2003. I'm not sure the model number. The only 2 choices i had were aluminum back plate or steel and i went with steel. Something like T2bd or whatever. It will hold way more than i can throw at it.
Jeff- Thanks, I'll look into that model then. Any reason you chose steel over aluminum?

Ross has the work coming along on the cars.

ArmyMan its still DIY, just really luck to have those pieces to help the process. Instead of going everywhere and paying someone to do it. Ross get ready to make some room over there haha. We gonna be super busy when I get back.

JJ
Old 12-01-2010, 06:52 AM
ashtrojan2008

Originally Posted by usarmy1113
Nice thread but I have to question the DIY when you clearly have your own shop and welder lift ect. Still the same nice build. It seems like your a mechanic or a son of a mechanic? When i think of DIY I think of not having a shop with a lift or a welder or a ****ing huge *** garage.
well DIY is just that.. do it yourself. and I, well, did it myself. Didn't pay for things to get done, never let anyone else touch my car. This is at my house, I'm just fortunate enough to have the tools to make the job much simpler.
My father and I both build cars, and we spent many years on our backs under a small carport with the cars on jack stands, but as much time as we spend in our shop now it was worth every penny.
As far as being a mechanic, I guess I can consider myself one. Not as a profession, but I have quite a few builds going on right now as well as smaller jobs here and there to pay for school.
Thanks for you comments on the build, I have put countless amounts of time and work into the project, and as any project, it's never finished.

Ross
Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 AM
ashtrojan2008

Originally Posted by Glex25
I opted for the Southbend Stage 5 FE full face also after seeing thom's car being able to hold high torque.

The act is slipping on me at 14psi, so i'm just leaving it on wastegate to get me around till i get my new clutch. I think i'm also going to go with the full face stage 5.. what are your impressions of it? Did it come with a throwout bearing and pilot bushing/bearing?

Jeff- Thanks, I'll look into that model then. Any reason you chose steel over aluminum?

Ross has the work coming along on the cars.

ArmyMan its still DIY, just really luck to have those pieces to help the process. Instead of going everywhere and paying someone to do it. Ross get ready to make some room over there haha. We gonna be super busy when I get back.

JJ
dude I can't wait to get your projects going.. gonna be SICKKK
Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Total D

Yea, hoping to be in the air by this time next week. then however long it takes to turn everything in. Once I know exact dates, ill let you know. When you get a chance can you get those pics for me, also of the injectors and fuel rail haha. Trying to get everything out of the way to make things easier with this new project. Anyword on the 300zx trans? or 260z axles? What your dad say when all this was going on haha. Im suer he hated it. I know I would have but its part of the game.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:20 AM
ashtrojan2008

Yea, hoping to be in the air by this time next week. then however long it takes to turn everything in. Once I know exact dates, ill let you know. When you get a chance can you get those pics for me, also of the injectors and fuel rail haha. Trying to get everything out of the way to make things easier with this new project. Anyword on the 300zx trans? or 260z axles? What your dad say when all this was going on haha. Im suer he hated it. I know I would have but its part of the game.
i think the axles will be simple, I'm pulling them out this weekend and most likely shipping them back to wolf creek since they are under warranty.
the 300zx had valvetrain noise.. sounds like its coming from the repaired cam. just going to have to pull it apart and see whats going on, but sounds just like a broken valvespring. That side was always a little noisy but you know how things show up at the track.
Hell, why don't we just talk on skype? lol

ross

Quick Reply: Ross's Twin Turbo build ::PIC HEAVY::