Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Rear Mount Turbo Fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:34 PM
burntZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally finished the loooonngg intake pipe, turbo to fmic- tucking that all up under the car was a treat.

-then need to complete my oil system next so i can actually see if it makes any boost.

[then only wire up gauges, pvc-catch can-vacuum system, fuel pump-regulator and tuning to go]

going to Sebring on Dec. 10th which is my current deadline!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 PM
burntZ

hi temp painted everything and ready for final assembly

all together!

all installed (except the oil system)

welding up the oiler - the pump will sit on the 4 bolts on top

all prettied up - drying - ready to go on tomorrow
Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM
streetzlegend

Looking great. For the oil setup, basically you have the tank you made, the pump will feed the turbo then from the turbo it will drain into the tank, is that right? if yes, will the tank sit lower than the turbo? I cant think of how it would work without two pumps(one to feed one to pull oil back to the tank), perhaps you can explain if possible.

I also recommend having some sort of cooler on the feed line, otherwise I would imagine the more you drive the hotter and hotter the oil will get.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Fletch69z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool project! I have an STS rear mount kit on my g35x sedan and I love it. Very reliable and drivable but a surprising amount of power too.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:09 PM
burntZ

i'm going to try running it as is - it holds just under 4 quarts which i think will stay cool enough just cooling in the under car air stream

the tanks hangs horizontal about 3 inches under the bottom of the turbo and gravity should drain it - the pumpinlet runs off the bottom and the tanks leans just a bit towards the inlet so that (i hope) the oil wont run away going around right hand turns

i have a oil pressure gauge and a oil temp gauge to keep an eye on things

if it does over heat i can put a small radiator in line between pump and turbo inlet
Old 10-28-2010, 06:50 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by burntZ
i'm going to try running it as is - it holds just under 4 quarts which i think will stay cool enough just cooling in the under car air stream
remember it's cooling a turbo that will be 1000*

It won't matter if you have 10 gallons of oil, once it all heats up to the same temp it will all stay the same temp unless you have a way to dissipate the heat. If your whole tank was a radiator with fins then it would be fine.

And i'm curious about the dual pumps too. You need pressure on the intake side and you'll need something to drain it unless you are putting it lower than the turbo and allowing it to gravity feed back into the tank.

good work
Old 10-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Mr_pharmD

Wow, it looks like a turbo kit but just smaller, lol... Sorry, I couldnt resist.

It does look good and props for fabricating your own kit.

Like Jeff stated...good work
Old 10-28-2010, 07:02 PM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
remember it's cooling a turbo that will be 1000*

It won't matter if you have 10 gallons of oil, once it all heats up to the same temp it will all stay the same temp unless you have a way to dissipate the heat. If your whole tank was a radiator with fins then it would be fine.

And i'm curious about the dual pumps too. You need pressure on the intake side and you'll need something to drain it unless you are putting it lower than the turbo and allowing it to gravity feed back into the tank.

good work

+1 That thing gets pretty hot and no matter how much oil u have without cooling that things gonna heat right up then
Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 PM
binder

true.

it would have just been easier to run a 3an supply line and 8an return back to the turbo.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 PM
350Z400rwhp

I was thinking the same thing, just run the feed like through a small oil cooler to be safe. You have some mad skills!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would use an oem PS oil cooler, that thing is small and cheap.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 PM
350Z400rwhp

Or a cheap transmission cooler.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:21 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Instead of making an oil reservoir, I would've just bought a cooler as the reservoir... Gauges to monitor FTW though. Props.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:29 AM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the tranny cooler its like $60 I think and that ish we keep u cooler than a fan man!.. Love the fact ur getting busy by urself... GL I'm tuned in...
Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 PM
burntZ

so close....

had it all in, wires and gauges mostly run, filling my oil tank and had some weld seepage - didn't want to try welding on a 1/2 full oil tank to fix the leak so pulled it all apart

4 bolts later i was back to stock...

yes, i can turbo a car in 4 bolts!

bolts 1 + 2 - hangs the oil system (also have to connect the power wire to the pump and a a sensor wire to the pressure gauge so that takes almost 2 more minutes)

bolts 3 + 4 exhaust to turbo inlet - thats it

except for 2 clamps and pop the air filter back on to the maf...

all the wiring / intercooler / long intake pipe just stay on for the ride...

running the wires from rear to front

just because i like this shot..
actually it shows the clearance - 4 inches from bottom of turbo to drain into tank - i've ordered a 90 degree an fitting ($25 - what a rip!) for the bottom of the turbo which will give me ~ 3 more inches of clearance for the lower hose, the oil tank is 7 inches up on one side and 8.5 inches up on the right hand side ( it clears the tire by 4 inches - just looks real close in this shot)
the lowest bit is the exhaust pipe then the tank - note the tanks hangers are both on the front so if i do hit something with it i hope it will just foldback and up a bit and not rip off - the front sway bar is ~2 inches closer to the ground then the tank so that will probably ruin my day if that hits anything anyway.

after i pulled it out, - have to redo my airfilter shield - the top of the wastegate and it were in the same place...

i did undo the 2 oil hoses so i could move it a bit easier but don't really need to.

then its 3 bolts to pop the stock muffler back on - reset the accessport map and off to nissan to fix 'whatever happens' under warranty?

so off mon/tues so plan on resealing (then leak pressure check) the oil tank and then back on and start the tuning -

ran it about the block at 2000rpm or less and accessport showed 13.1 AFR the whole way

[& just got a walbro and a fpr in the mail today!]
Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM
t6378tp1

I've been thinking about making a rear mount setup for my G35C but worried that it will be too loud running a open downpipe.

Great job, wish there were more diy turbo builds on this site
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM
streetzlegend

Looks awesome man, did you put some kind of a check valve(flapping type) on the return line going to the tank? Reason I ask is because during acceleration, oil is going to want to come out of the tank and into the return line, now allowing for turbo to drain. If there is any hiccups about the setup, its going to be oiling for sure, thats what took me the most time to figure out with my rear mount setup.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:03 PM
350Z400rwhp

Wow! Looks sweet and so easy to take off if you would need to. I'm still thinking an oil cooler would be a good idea or at least an oil temp sensor to monitor it.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
binder

ya, that turbo won't drain with the line running like that. you'll need a pump on the return or the tank lower with the drain running mostly vertical.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:51 PM
"doc" schrage

nice work man looking good.

Quick Reply: My Rear Mount Turbo Fabrication