Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Powerlab 35R kit will not make 500 HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Why would the mods lock this thread??? Wtf... People would like to see and follow up on OPs problem... The only person that should request a LOCK should be the OP.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:43 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they want to lock the thread because its their product that's under scrutiny.

Seems as a certain criteria were forgotten when the dyno #s are remembered, such as 650s can only be achieved by boost spiking to 29psi on race gas.

Last edited by str8dum1; 05-18-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM
IntenseSales
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I am not asking the resolution not be posted, I am requesting that it be locked as NOONE from PL or IP side was ever contacted on the issues and now str8dum1 proves my point of the drama in the FI section. Keep it factual and try to help out instead of stirring the perverbial sh*t!

This isn't a shop vs shop thread this isn't a misinformation thread. It seems he is asking for help and not much has been directed in that direction so to slow down the influx of garbage ... cough str8dum1 cough cough... we requested PUBLICLY... not on the back end until we can HELP the OP!

I have already contacted Injected btw.

CHILL OUT str8dum1.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
str8dum1

Point taken....

I guess you have charts showing that the pump max on the PL kit far exceeds what the OP has suggested?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Vas_Z33

I agree with str8drum 100% and I agree with intenses POV . But you and me both know that if this thread gets locked , 1- it'll be deleted and never hear from, 2- it'll be locked and eventually dissapear , 3- doesn't help the OP , 4- will NOT help other people do there research about the kit. Does it make 650 on pump? Does it not? I don't know..

If this thread gets locked I'll be truly dissapointed.. Unless the OP asks for it.

- typing from iPhone. FTL!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 PM
IntenseSales
Vendor - Former Vendor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
I agree with str8drum 100% and I agree with intenses POV . But you and me both know that if this thread gets locked , 1- it'll be deleted and never hear from, 2- it'll be locked and eventually dissapear , 3- doesn't help the OP , 4- will NOT help other people do there research about the kit. Does it make 650 on pump? Does it not? I don't know..

If this thread gets locked I'll be truly dissapointed.. Unless the OP asks for it.

- typing from iPhone. FTL!
I will post as often as I can and request that once the resolution to the OP's issue is found it will be publicly posted and unlocked.

There are many questions here and ...

PLEASE show me anywhere that ANYONE said it makes 650WHP on pump gas because it does not and never EVER will on a 35R single turbo kit again on PUMP GAS. Thats not what is in question here.

Conversations are already occurring on the shop side and trying to figure out the issue.

Our vehicles here at Intense would not be the first ones to ever make 650whp on a 35r for a fact.

Last edited by IntenseSales; 05-18-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by str8dum1
they want to lock the thread because its their product that's under scrutiny.

Seems as a certain vendor fails to disclose certain point, such as 650s can only be achieved by boost spiking to 29psi on race gas.

Rude wouldnt you agree? Obviously people have been mislead about realistic power from this kit. You are quite active in tracking down these sort of atrocity's. Interesting to see how you handle this one..
NO. I do not agree with your asinine post (and blatant attempt at petty retaliation for drama in another unrelated thread).

Never have I seen Intense or PowerLab claim, suggest, insinuate, or advertise that the GT35R kit made or is capable of 650whp on pump gas. They never tried to hide the fact that all high boost/max power dyno pulls were done using C16 race gas.

I challenge you to provide evidence or testimony to the contrary.

Furthermore, I was present during most of the PowerLab R&D on Intense's widebody G. I saw firsthand that the kit made just over 700whp with the GT37R turbo and NO MODIFICATIONS TO ANY OF THE KIT'S PIPING. I also witnessed the car make 906whp with the 76S turbo WITH THE ONLY MODIFICATIONS TO THE KIT BEING THE INSTALLATION OF A DRIVER SIDE HEADER AND A 3.5" DOWNPIPE.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-18-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 PM
1ZweetZ

This seems pretty obvious to me. 35r's consistantly put down over 600whp on ANY platform....Z, Supra, EVO....whatever the platform. Nevermind the fact that kit went 11.0 @ 128mph. So why question the kit? Unless there is a turbo problem, the kit is capable of what it is. The rest is installation (boost leaks etc...). High EGT's is a really good indicator of a boost leak guys, nothing new there. I'm pretty sure Injected knows how to tune, so my bet is a boost leak of sorts somewhere, and probably a pretty good one too. What RPM does it make peak boost? A 35r should be on the gate by about 3k (7psi spring). If not...you have a leak, or a bad turbo.

My .02c

Last edited by 1ZweetZ; 05-18-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 PM
str8dum1

^600 on pump gas, as because thats all thats being discussed here. Not race gas, not full strung. I never said or insinuated it was 650 on pump. I feel sorry for people thinking when PL said "approximately 400RWHP on a stock motor or 653RWHP on a semi built motor and upgraded fuel components", it was on the same fuel only different components.

What do you guys think is the issue? 460DD (~500DJ) on pump @ 13-14psi on a single GT35r is completely reasonable. So what exactly in in question?

Hopefully IP can chime in with explanation. They already said it was on pump gas. Without going to meth or race gas, its 100% believable that what the turbo has in it.

Remember that it took Intense twin GT37s to break the 1000 mark and XKR made 800DD on a twin hybrid GT35r's. So 460-500 on pump on 1 is doing pretty good

Last edited by str8dum1; 05-18-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Vas_Z33

right.. But you state that it makes 650rwhp... U don't state that that's done on race gas and boost spiking to 29, do you?

How would anyone know? Maybe the op didn't know that ^... And thought he can make that on pump... That's what I would of thought..if I was reading at the advertisment on your website .

As long as the op is being helped that's all that matters here, I'd like to hear more from op and injected

Originally Posted by IntenseSales
I will post as often as I can and request that once the resolution to the OP's issue is found it will be publicly posted and unlocked.

There are many questions here and ...

PLEASE show me anywhere that ANYONE said it makes 650WHP on pump gas because it does not and never EVER will on a 35R single turbo kit again on PUMP GAS. Thats not what is in question here.

Conversations are already occurring on the shop side and trying to figure out the issue.

Our vehicles here at Intense would not be the first ones to ever make 650whp on a 35r for a fact.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Vas_Z33

right. I'd be happy with 500rwhp at 13psi... Could it make
more? Probably but we don't know the OPs setup so ..

Originally Posted by str8dum1
^600 on pump gas, as because thats all thats being discussed here. Not race gas, not full strung. I never said or insinuated it was 650 on pump. I feel sorry for people thinking when PL said "approximately 400RWHP on a stock motor or 653RWHP on a semi built motor and upgraded fuel components", it was on the same fuel only different components.

What do you guys think is the issue? 460DD (~500DJ) on pump @ 13-14psi on a single GT35r is completely reasonable. So what exactly in in question?

Hopefully IP can chime in with explanation. They already said it was on pump gas. Without going to meth or race gas, its 100% believable that what the turbo has in it.

Remember that it took Intense twin GT37s to break the 1000 mark and XKR made 800DD on a twin hybrid GT35r's. So 460-500 on pump on 1 is doing pretty good
Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

right.. But you state that it makes 650rwhp... U don't state that that's done on race gas and boost spiking to 29, do you?

How would anyone know? Maybe the op didn't know that ^... And thought he can make that on pump... That's what I would of thought..if I was reading at the advertisment on your website .

As long as the op is being helped that's all that matters here, I'd like to hear more from op and injected
*facepalm* R U SERIOUS?

Only a MORON with no common sense or a complete NOOB would think that they could successfully make the max rated power for a turbo kit or given turbo (in this case a single GT35R) on pump gas. And even if they were that fawking stupid... this is where the dealer/installer comes into play to review/clarify the customer's power goals and advise them of realistic expectations PRIOR TO THE TURBO KIT BEING PURCHASED AND/OR INSTALLED.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Vas_Z33

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
*facepalm* R U SERIOUS?

Only a MORON with no common sense or a complete NOOB would think that they could successfully make the max rated power for a turbo kit or given turbo (in this case a single GT35R) on pump gas. And even if they were that fawking stupid... this is where the dealer/installer comes into play to review/clarify the customer's power goals and advise them of realistic expectations PRIOR TO THE TURBO KIT BEING PURCHASED AND/OR INSTALLED.
Are you referring me as the " moron "? Lol... Listen man no need to call names.. Remeber ur behind a computer screen, always keep that in mind... I said MAYBE!! How do you know the OP didn't think that?? Looking at the title of this thread the op sounds pissed that he didn't get the 650 he wanted.. Idk u tell me what the OP thinks
Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 PM
qqqqball

I had a similar problem, fully built block all supporting mods and powerlab kit is having trouble, not at fault to the kit, not directly. Flow tests done on the car, had shown that the HOT SIDE IS TOO RESTRICTIVE. The .82 A/R allows for a quicker spool but acts similar to having a restrictive exhaust. I was told to get either a 1.03 or 1.06 A/R to remedy the problem, but have been unable to install it due to my current situation. The piping can make the power, but the turbo in its current configuration cannot. I put my dyno up, to show that at 21 PSI it makes a merger 440rwhp, but 615rwtrq. Most people do say that well the kit makes 420 at 8psi but thats a high compression block, mine is a low compression. This is on pump.
Attached Thumbnails Powerlab 35R kit will not make 500 HP-3.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 01:20 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Are you referring me as the " moron "? Lol... Listen man no need to call names.. Remeber ur behind a computer screen, always keep that in mind... I said MAYBE!! How do you know the OP didn't think that?? Looking at the title of this thread the op sounds pissed that he didn't get the 650 he wanted.. Idk u tell me what the OP thinks
Well, I wasn't directly calling you a moron. But you insinuated in your post that the kit was falsely advertised and that info was withheld. I think that's BS. It has never been standard practice in the VQ aftermarket industry for turbo kit manufacturers and/or their dealers to specifically advertise or rate the kit's maximum horsepower capability on pump gas. I haven't seen the other major brands (Greddy, APS, GTM, JWT, Turbonetics, etc) do this. Yet when PowerLab does the same as all the other brands, it is insinuated that PowerLab is being shady?! Why do you expect PowerLab to do something that the rest of the industry doesn't??? That's why I think your post and the similar post by str8dum1 are so ridiculous.

I'm saying that anyone who (after doing at least some very basic research) expects to make 650whp on pump gas with a turbo that has a rated max power of 650 horsepower IS indeed a MORON. There is no way to sugar coat that fact.

And again... the dealer of the turbo kit and/or the shop or installer, as well as the customer, have a responsibility to effectively communicate with each other about what the power goals are on the fuel being used.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-18-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:30 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Keep it civil gents...

VO
Old 05-18-2010, 01:32 PM
zman1982

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^+1

i would hope that no one here thinks a turbos max rating, is achievable on pump gas.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:12 PM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

I apologize as I have been in the shop trying to finish up some cars before we head to ZdayZ this weekend. A few quick responses to some of the points I have seen made regarding the OP. First, Injected Performance did not request that the OP make this thread, and he can verify this. James (the OP) is very aware that his car would not make 650rwhp on pump gas. He stated he was hoping for 500rwhp with the built motor, fuel, cams, etc. James is a very educated car enthusiast. We do not feel that 500rwhp was out of the range of what to expect with what was done to his car and paired with a GT35 turbo.

Furthermore, I will respond to a few questions that have been asked publicly and privately to myself and James.
  1. Compression test on the motor shows that it is well within our specs. There is a .08% variance across all cylinders.
  2. Duty Cycle on injectors does not show any issues with fuel supply.
  3. All intercooler pipes have been pressure tested and do not leak.
  4. No issue with melted or clogged catalytic converters for obvious reasons when the vehicle was delivered to us (I guess it is an offroad use only vehicle).
  5. HKS exhaust, as it isn’t the best free flowing exhaust available on the market, we have seen other vehicles with the same exhaust make as much or more power.
  6. Air Intake Temps, when boost pressure is increased, goes way above what we have seen in the past. Upwards of 170-180 degrees F.
  7. We just had a Dyno Dynamics tech test our dyno and it is reading correctly. As much as I would like to say it wasn’t in line with other DDs in the market, (my RX7 made less power than I had hoped for) it is in perfect operating condition. Of course James’ numbers are with a 1.00 correction factor as we have always run with any car at our facility.

It is worth noting that the customer brought the vehicle to us with the Powerlab kit already installed; we had no influence in his decision for this kit. However, we have been attempting to work with all parties involved to determine possible causes and potential solutions. We want to see every customer of ours leave happy, regardless of which kit they have.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Vas_Z33

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Well, I wasn't directly calling you a moron. But you insinuated in your post that the kit was falsely advertised and that info was withheld. I think that's BS. It has never been standard practice in the VQ aftermarket industry for turbo kit manufacturers and/or their dealers to specifically advertise or rate the kit's maximum horsepower capability on pump gas. I haven't seen the other major brands (Greddy, APS, GTM, JWT, Turbonetics, etc) do this. Yet when PowerLab does the same as all the other brands, it is insinuated that PowerLab is being shady?! Why do you expect PowerLab to do something that the rest of the industry doesn't??? That's why I think your post and the similar post by str8dum1 are so ridiculous.

I'm saying that anyone who (after doing at least some very basic research) expects to make 650whp on pump gas with a turbo that has a rated max power of 650 horsepower IS indeed a MORON. There is no way to sugar coat that fact.

And again... the dealer of the turbo kit and/or the shop or installer, as well as the customer, have a responsibility to effectively communicate with each other about what the power goals are on the fuel being used.
ok , cool. I know what your saying and I agree 100%. and what I said was not what I actually meant. ( my fault for not clearing it up, driving and trying to type wasnt a good idea ) . I am not in anyway.. trying to bash or have said that powerlab/intense are being shady. There kit is great. with tons of great power to be made and I know a 35r isnt going to make 650 on pump..

.. no need to discuss this here any further. This thread is about helping the OP.

you got PM
Old 05-18-2010, 02:55 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf
I apologize as I have been in the shop trying to finish up some cars before we head to ZdayZ this weekend. A few quick responses to some of the points I have seen made regarding the OP. First, Injected Performance did not request that the OP make this thread, and he can verify this. James (the OP) is very aware that his car would not make 650rwhp on pump gas. He stated he was hoping for 500rwhp with the built motor, fuel, cams, etc. James is a very educated car enthusiast. We do not feel that 500rwhp was out of the range of what to expect with what was done to his car and paired with a GT35 turbo.

Furthermore, I will respond to a few questions that have been asked publicly and privately to myself and James.
  1. Compression test on the motor shows that it is well within our specs. There is a .08% variance across all cylinders.
  2. Duty Cycle on injectors does not show any issues with fuel supply.
  3. All intercooler pipes have been pressure tested and do not leak.
  4. No issue with melted or clogged catalytic converters for obvious reasons when the vehicle was delivered to us (I guess it is an offroad use only vehicle).
  5. HKS exhaust, as it isn’t the best free flowing exhaust available on the market, we have seen other vehicles with the same exhaust make as much or more power.
  6. Air Intake Temps, when boost pressure is increased, goes way above what we have seen in the past. Upwards of 170-180 degrees F.
  7. We just had a Dyno Dynamics tech test our dyno and it is reading correctly. As much as I would like to say it wasn’t in line with other DDs in the market, (my RX7 made less power than I had hoped for) it is in perfect operating condition. Of course James’ numbers are with a 1.00 correction factor as we have always run with any car at our facility.

It is worth noting that the customer brought the vehicle to us with the Powerlab kit already installed; we had no influence in his decision for this kit. However, we have been attempting to work with all parties involved to determine possible causes and potential solutions. We want to see every customer of ours leave happy, regardless of which kit they have.
Thanks for posting this. I noticed a couple points that got me thinking...
You mentioned the car came to Injected with the kit already installed, no leaks found in the intercooler piping, and problems with high AIT's with increased boost...

What about the possibility of an obstruction at or in the intercooler???

Quick Reply: Powerlab 35R kit will not make 500 HP