Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Powerlab 35R kit will not make 500 HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Elperuano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IntenseSales
Did WE advise you of anything on your kit?

I never said nor am I trying to say that... please do not put words or assume words in my mouth again. I am here trying to help. I did not sell you the kit nor make any claims of anything to YOU.
(THOUGH BASED ON WHO SOLD YOU THE KIT I AM IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM SURPRISED THAT YOU HAVE ANY LET DOWN ON THIS KIT OR ANYTHING THEY TOLD YOU SOLELY BASED ON WHO SOLD IT TO YOU (PF), THEY'VE NEVER BEEN FOUND OF FRAUD OR MISREPRESENTATION AT ALL HERE OR IN ANY INDUSTRY... SARCASM MUCH)

PERFORMANCE FACTORY WAS DROPPED AS A DEALER DUE TO THESE ISSUES (FRAUD AND MISREPRESENTATION) PRIOR TO THEIR DEMISE BTW

Just because Injected says something to you based on opinion or their "findings" doesn't make it the last word either.

Again we have shown all of our cards with videos or dyno, and track runs on our vehicle(s)

No WE are not willing to foot the cost of your project that you started with a now defunct proven fraudulent company (PF) and now with pawned off to Injected.

Too many cooks in the kitchen perhaps?

We(I) did ask Injected if basic tests were done... Leak down and compression. The compression answer was given but, no response on the leak down question. (This is in no way accusing Injected of anything fraudulent or shady but, I can only go off info that has been given to me.) So far not much has been given.

Yet, you are willing to be judge and jury on PowerLab based on the small amount of info youve been given but, no questions from Injected to PowerLab have been asked. Doesn't seem like everything is being done to help on that end but, again it would just be one person asking another person if they checked this and this. There are variables here even outside of Injected at this point.

Up to this point there is one post by Injected and the rest is third party info(OP).

Another question is why wasn't PowerLab contacted directly by Injected if there were an issue of this "magnitude"?

One would think that there would be some motivation to contact the Manufacture of the product if this was of this much importance to them.
Must....................resist....................
Old 05-20-2010, 04:06 PM
james12345pt

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"Did WE advise you of anything on your kit?"

YES YOU DID! I spoke to Intense about the g35r kit when researching kits for my car shorting after the kit hit the market. I was told at that time that that kit would product ~ 400 hp at 8 psi on the stock block and was making 600+hp on a built block. I asked about the g37r kit at that time and was told that it was not needed to achieve my power gaols 500-600whp that the g35r would achieve that level of power. The sales rep went on the explain how this kit compare to the other twin turbo kits that I was interested in purchases at the time. Jeremy Tibbs was trying to steer me to a Greddy twins kit at the time. Thanks for asking that question, I also spoke with Intense severely time after that discussing pistons, cams and other things needed for my build.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:09 PM
james12345pt

YES YOU DID! I spoke to Intense about the g35r kit when researching kits for my car shorting after the kit hit the market. I was told at that time that that kit would product ~ 400 hp at 8 psi on the stock block and was making 600+hp on a built block. I asked about the g37r kit at that time and was told that it was not needed to achieve my power gaols 500-600whp that the g35r would achieve that level of power. The sales rep went on the explain how this kit compare to the other twin turbo kits that I was interested in purchases at the time. Jeremy Tibbs was trying to steer me to a Greddy twins kit at the time. Thanks for asking that question, I almost forgot about that conversation. I also spoke with Intense severely time after that discussing pistons, cams and other things needed for my build.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Elperuano

Does anyone have proof if the gt35r kit can at least make 500hp on pump gas with a basic built shortblock? That was my next project... Don't wanna start if its doomed from the get go

Last edited by Elperuano; 05-20-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by james12345pt

YES YOU DID! I spoke to Intense about the g35r kit when researching kits for my car shorting after the kit hit the market. I was told at that time that that kit would product ~ 400 hp at 8 psi on the stock block and was making 600+hp on a built block. I asked about the g37r kit at that time and was told that it was not needed to achieve my power gaols 500-600whp that the g35r would achieve that level of power. The sales rep went on the explain how this kit compare to the other twin turbo kits that I was interested in purchases at the time. Jeremy Tibbs was trying to steer me to a Greddy twins kit at the time. Thanks for asking that question, I almost forgot about that conversation. I also spoke with Intense severely time after that discussing pistons, cams and other things needed for my build.

I was given the same speech when I purchased the g35r. I told them my pw goal and the rep said the g35r is what I needed to get into the +500whp-550 range on pump and then if I wanted +600 I just needed to throw in race gas. If I knew it actually took race gas to get 500whp then I would have spent the extra few grand and went with twins.

I'm really disappointed that I sold my T trim SC blower (making 540whp on 91oct) for a turbo kit that can't do better without race gas. Don't get me wrong, I think the kit looks great but their adds are also misleading for those who dont want to run race gas.

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 05-20-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by Elperuano
Does anyone have proof if the gt35r kit can at least make 500hp on pump gas with a basic built shortblock? That was my next project... Don't wanna start if its doomed from the get go
See another PL customer under the impression that this kit can make more whp on pump with a basic build.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

OP, I say wait and see what IP has to say.. before jumping into anymore conclusions...I know that you are frustrated, but there isnt much you can do , you have to let the pros do the talking and come up with a conclusion to your problem.. you never know.. sometimes it can be a small fix and your numbers may change. IMO!
Old 05-20-2010, 05:39 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem lays in the fact that the kit is advertised to make built motor levels of power but does not. If I am to retitle the thread to meet the needs of Intense/ Powerlab or who ever makes/sales the kit. Shouldn't they be alittle more honest about the realistic power potential of the said kit??
I think it's premature to be making such a declaration at this point when 2 things haven't happened in the process of elimination to troubleshoot this:
  • disconnect the HKS exhaust and dyno with an open downpipe
  • dyno with C16 race gas

After doing those things, if the car still isn't making the power it should... something is most likely wrong with the turbo and merits that it be thoroughly inspected for signs of damage or defect. Furthermore... If the same problems still occur with open downpipe & C16 after swapping out a new GT35R (especially on video), THEN you have more compelling evidence to support your proclamation about the kit.

...and I still think your thread title is misleading.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-20-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:49 PM
IntenseSales
Vendor - Former Vendor

YES YOU DID! I spoke to Intense about the g35r kit when researching kits for my car shorting after the kit hit the market. I was told at that time that that kit would product ~ 400 hp at 8 psi on the stock block and was making 600+hp on a built block. I asked about the g37r kit at that time and was told that it was not needed to achieve my power gaols 500-600whp that the g35r would achieve that level of power. The sales rep went on the explain how this kit compare to the other twin turbo kits that I was interested in purchases at the time. Jeremy Tibbs was trying to steer me to a Greddy twins kit at the time. Thanks for asking that question, I also spoke with Intense severely time after that discussing pistons, cams and other things needed for my build.
You're welcome for asking the question first. What you just said is what is already known about the power that the 35R is able to produce time and time again on any platform, VQ35de included. The PowerLab kit is no different. There are dyno's posted and even youtube videos of it and not just from in house. NOWHERE in your post do I see a statement about pump gas. (Because it wasn't told to you by us. We can go back and forth on that one but, it isn't something we would say)

No benefit stands to tell you the 35R is better than the 37R on any level monetarily or technically. (The suggestion on the kit sizing is based on the questions asked to the person inquiring. General questions are:

What is the main use of the vehicle?
Driving style or competition with vehicle?
Where they looking to make power at and does the few hundred RPM lag bother them?)

On one hand the 37R kit is more expensive so it makes more sense to a lot of sales people to sell that to you. Higher peak HP and more money in the pocket at end of day. Easy to sell and benefits the seller as well.
Oh wait... we don't make commission so that one doesn't make much sense from a sales persons side.

Technically it is proven the 37R will produce more power but at a slightly higher RPM. Not new facts here.What the point of this kit was, was to provide the end user with a quick spooling. high horsepower making single turbo kit. Something not previously done ie; Turbonetics. The 35R does produce the power levels listed above in your statement so the truth was told to you. Again Dyno's to prove this and videos publicly listed.

The topic of stock vs semi (Pump/Race)build always comes up even with people purchasing Greddy Twins from us or other turbo kits. Every single time we will tell you the mod list and that it was on C16 for the 653 pull. There are only 2-3 of us in the office at any given time and we all here each others conversations.

We are soley motivated to help the end user or enthusiast achieve the power level they are looking for most efficiently; power and dollar wise. We are enthusiasts ourselves if you weren't aware. You would be shocked to know how many Manifold sales we turn down based on peoples power goals and intentions with their vehicle. Better yet DLI kits or Sleeves or Fuel Systems that we don't suggest based on peoples power goals and intentions with their vehicle

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
I was given the same speech when I purchased the g35r. I told them my pw goal and the rep said the g35r is what I needed to get into the +500whp-550 range on pump and then if I wanted +600 I just needed to throw in race gas. If I knew it actually took race gas to get 500whp then I would have spent the extra few grand and went with twins.

I'm really disappointed that I sold my T trim SC blower (making 540whp on 91oct) for a turbo kit that can't do better without race gas. Don't get me wrong, I think the kit looks great but their adds are also misleading for those who dont want to run race gas.
In Red is not true.
We spoke yesterday and I told you that a 35R should be able to produce 500WHP on pump, though was unsure at what boost level and efficiency. I also continued to tell you that I felt it was probably irresponsible of a tuner of this platform to stretch it to 500-550 wheel on pump because it would be putting enormous stress on the motor based on high boost levels with this turbo. I was very careful to clarify my thoughts on this to you.

I won't semanticize with you on this but, my coworker was sitting there listening to my conversation with you on the matter and I was very clear on what is stated above. I also mentioned that we don't know everything going on and can't ask all pertinent questions needed because Injected is at Z-Days. There are still factors in this that are yet to be covered.

This will be my last post at least for this evening hopefully; until Injected returns and can HELP out with a solution to this "issue"

Last edited by IntenseSales; 05-20-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:17 PM
james12345pt

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
I think it's premature to be making such a declaration at this point when 2 things haven't happened in the process of elimination to troubleshoot this:
  • disconnect the HKS exhaust and dyno with an open downpipe
  • dyno with C16 race gas

After doing those things, if the car still isn't making the power it should... something is most likely wrong with the turbo and merits that it be thoroughly inspected for signs of damage or defect. Furthermore... If the same problems still occur with open downpipe & C16 after swapping out a new GT35R (especially on video), THEN you have more compelling evidence to support your proclamation about the kit.

...and I still think your thread title is misleading.
Good points. I had discussed these points with Injected and base on the data collect they stated that they felt this would make little to no difference due to the inefficiency of the turbo/turbo kit at higher boost psi. I will let them expand on this in their posting.

...and I know Powerlab's advertising is as well.

Last edited by james12345pt; 05-20-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM
james12345pt

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
OP, I say wait and see what IP has to say.. before jumping into anymore conclusions...I know that you are frustrated, but there isnt much you can do , you have to let the pros do the talking and come up with a conclusion to your problem.. you never know.. sometimes it can be a small fix and your numbers may change. IMO!
This is what I hope happens. I hope that the combine knowledge and experience of Intense/Powerlab and IP can brainstorm and come up with a solution. Also, if you ever discuss power levels with Intense you make sure that you point out that you mean on pump gas because that is what we all run in our cars at all times. LOL

I couldn't help myself.

Last edited by james12345pt; 05-20-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at least there was a price drop !

Originally Posted by theking
Notice a difference?
- Approximately 15 hour install time

- This kit was designed for 6MT vehicles, 5AT vehicles will require modification of the kit.

- If you are running a dual exhaust a reverse Y-pipe will need to be fabricated.

** TUNER KIT IS AVAILABLE ALSO WITHOUT INJECTORS, FUEL PUMP, AND UTEC FOR $5950 **

The 650whp marker was achieved on C16 race gas.

This is the cached version from google of their website

- Approximately 15 hour install time

- This kit was designed for 6MT vehicles, 5AT vehicles will require modification of the kit.

- If you are running a dual exhaust a reverse Y-pipe will need to be fabricated.

** TUNER KIT IS AVAILABLE ALSO WITHOUT INJECTORS, FUEL PUMP, AND UTEC FOR $6120.00 **

Notice no C16 race gas mention. lol
Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Here's 2 more possibilities (although less likely than the other things mentioned) that still need to be definitively ruled out:
  • Since Jeremy Tibbs was involved in the sale and install of the kit... Confirm that the turbo is indeed a genuine Garrett GT35R. Jeremy got caught selling turbo kits to the Camaro community that had cheap knock off turbos that he marketed as genuine Garretts. A cheap knock off turbo may not show deficiencies at 8PSI at stock compression, but will on a low compression motor at higher boost levels. For example, look at how the new APS twin kits performed with off brand journal bearing turbos vs the original kits with Garrett BB turbos. They perform comparable on a stock block, but fail to perform at the same level on a built motor at higher boost.
  • If it's a genuine Garrett GT35R... confirm that it has a .82AR turbine housing and not the smaller .63AR housing. Mistakes can happen and maybe Garrett accidentally shipped PowerLab a turbo with the wrong turbine housing.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 05-20-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:43 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^those are good points. a .63 might really be too small. it should be cast right into the housing, so that would be easy to detect. IP may not have seen that

ID'ing a fake garrett might be pretty tough unless you had teh real mccoy right next to it.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Elperuano

See another PL customer under the impression that this kit can make more whp on pump with a basic build.
I figured it wouldn't be so hard. My conservative tune is at 420 and got plenty more to go.... Im really considering putting a turbo blanket and wrapping the pipes but its already installed and idk how much of a pita it would be to take it all out n do it over again...
Old 05-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by IntenseSales
You're welcome for asking the question first. What you just said is what is already known about the power that the 35R is able to produce time and time again on any platform, VQ35de included. The PowerLab kit is no different. There are dyno's posted and even youtube videos of it and not just from in house. NOWHERE in your post do I see a statement about pump gas. (Because it wasn't told to you by us. We can go back and forth on that one but, it isn't something we would say)

No benefit stands to tell you the 35R is better than the 37R on any level monetarily or technically. (The suggestion on the kit sizing is based on the questions asked to the person inquiring. General questions are:

What is the main use of the vehicle?
Driving style or competition with vehicle?
Where they looking to make power at and does the few hundred RPM lag bother them?)

On one hand the 37R kit is more expensive so it makes more sense to a lot of sales people to sell that to you. Higher peak HP and more money in the pocket at end of day. Easy to sell and benefits the seller as well.
Oh wait... we don't make commission so that one doesn't make much sense from a sales persons side.

Technically it is proven the 37R will produce more power but at a slightly higher RPM. Not new facts here.What the point of this kit was, was to provide the end user with a quick spooling. high horsepower making single turbo kit. Something not previously done ie; Turbonetics. The 35R does produce the power levels listed above in your statement so the truth was told to you. Again Dyno's to prove this and videos publicly listed.

The topic of stock vs semi (Pump/Race)build always comes up even with people purchasing Greddy Twins from us or other turbo kits. Every single time we will tell you the mod list and that it was on C16 for the 653 pull. There are only 2-3 of us in the office at any given time and we all here each others conversations.

We are soley motivated to help the end user or enthusiast achieve the power level they are looking for most efficiently; power and dollar wise. We are enthusiasts ourselves if you weren't aware. You would be shocked to know how many Manifold sales we turn down based on peoples power goals and intentions with their vehicle. Better yet DLI kits or Sleeves or Fuel Systems that we don't suggest based on peoples power goals and intentions with their vehicle

In Red is not true.
We spoke yesterday and I told you that a 35R should be able to produce 500WHP on pump, though was unsure at what boost level and efficiency. I also continued to tell you that I felt it was probably irresponsible of a tuner of this platform to stretch it to 500-550 wheel on pump because it would be putting enormous stress on the motor based on high boost levels with this turbo. I was very careful to clarify my thoughts on this to you.

I won't semanticize with you on this but, my coworker was sitting there listening to my conversation with you on the matter and I was very clear on what is stated above. I also mentioned that we don't know everything going on and can't ask all pertinent questions needed because Injected is at Z-Days. There are still factors in this that are yet to be covered.

This will be my last post at least for this evening hopefully; until Injected returns and can HELP out with a solution to this "issue"
Yes u said that yesterday BUT not the day I made the purchase 2 months ago. Why would I jump into a kit that makes less whp than what I was currently at? Does that make any sense why I rather waste 7K on a new setup to get a lower whp (seems alittle fishy)?

Yesterday, I didn't even want to argue over the phone anymore bc at this pt it's pointless. I knew after u told me it wasnt safe to even boost at 500whp on pump gas that our initial conversation have changed and that I should have gotten the claims in writing.

I still have faith in the gt35r and I'm hoping that when I finish the tune (in mid june) that I will be able to get +530whp on pump. If intense can make 650whp then I dont see why +500whp isn't possible on pump.

Oh, Thanks for the overnite on the coolant lines but I'm still missing the T bolts and the return tag for the turbo timer.

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 05-20-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Mr_pharmD

"...felt it was probably irresponsible of a tuner of this platform to stretch it to 500-550 wheel on pump because it would be putting enormous stress on the motor based on high boost levels with this turbo..."

Can someone explain this to me alittle more...sorry for the newbie question.

I see that Jay'Z with greddy TT is making 600whp on pump gas so why isn't it causing enormous stress on his motor? Also, my previous setup made 540whp on DD so now i'm confuse.

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 05-20-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:17 PM
stormcrow

"...felt it was probably irresponsible of a tuner of this platform to stretch it to 500-550 wheel on pump because it would be putting enormous stress on the motor based on high boost levels with this turbo..."

Can someone explain this to me alittle more...sorry for the newbie question.

I see that Jay'Z with greddy TT is making 600whp on pump gas so why isn't it causing enormous stress on his motor? Also, my previous setup made 540whp on DD so now i'm confuse.
You're confused that two turbos can deliver more power than one? I believe what you quoted was in reference to a single 35R turbo included with the PL kit...not twins.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by stormcrow
You're confused that two turbos can deliver more power than one? I believe what you quoted was in reference to a single 35R turbo included with the PL kit...not twins.
I'm not asking about the pw difference. I'm asking why Jay'z motor is able to withstand 600whp on a built non sleeve block when intense is telling me a tuner should not risk more than 550whp.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 PM
blasian

I dunno, from what I've seen from GT35R turbos on other cars... that turbo is no slouch

Quick Reply: Powerlab 35R kit will not make 500 HP