Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

When is a twin pump needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya I would definately use our hardline and supporting hoses to max out a single pump... Any pressure drop across the system that you can eliminate is less load on the pump... Properly sized injectors will allow normal fuel pressure, rather than too high, also helping the pump. Higher quality injectors will allow the burn to consume more of the fuel injected, making the system more efficient.

I didn't really push for the upgraded hardpipe in this car because he has two pumps in a series... With that secondary pump in there, it will make 600 I'm sure.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phunk
Ya I would definately use our hardline and supporting hoses to max out a single pump... Any pressure drop across the system that you can eliminate is less load on the pump... Properly sized injectors will allow normal fuel pressure, rather than too high, also helping the pump. Higher quality injectors will allow the burn to consume more of the fuel injected, making the system more efficient.

I didn't really push for the upgraded hardpipe in this car because he has two pumps in a series... With that secondary pump in there, it will make 600 I'm sure.
Thanks for the help again Charles. I think I'll atleast upgrade to your hardlines and support hoses so I can at least use the max potential of the intank pump and the inline pump.

Also, when removing the hardlines, will there be a lot of fuel in the lines?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i've got the hardline in my garage that I am not using. not compatible with how my turbos sit.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i've got the hardline in my garage that I am not using. not compatible with how my turbos sit.
really? Is it complete and what is included? pm me some pix, plez
Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM
str8dum1

its just the CJM hardline that runs the length of the car with -8AN fitting on each end. you'll need to probably make braided lines to mate up to it (cant remember how long the stock CJM RFS system hoses are). i can snap a pic when I get home.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:26 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Point taken Charles. second FP after the stock pipe therefore not needed.

Pham, you would need the FP adapter fitting, 6 or 8 AN line from F P to Hardline then 8AN from pipe to y adapter to 2 6AN to the rails. Second FP somewhere between hard pipe and fuelrails. Just have Charles sell you everything you need minus the pipe.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
binder

Only a small amount of fuel will come out of the stock line. It's not bad.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by binder
Point taken Charles. second FP after the stock pipe therefore not needed.

Pham, you would need the FP adapter fitting, 6 or 8 AN line from F P to Hardline then 8AN from pipe to y adapter to 2 6AN to the rails. Second FP somewhere between hard pipe and fuelrails. Just have Charles sell you everything you need minus the pipe.

ok, here's my current setup.

oem hardline to inline pump (under the engine bay) to fuel rails.

New setup:

CJM hardlines to inline pump (under engine bay) to fuel rails.

OR

should I try this setup: intank pump to inline pump (placed at the rear of the car) to CJM hardline to fuel rail?

Also, I alrdy have the ss line that goes into the fuel rails so will i still need the Y adapter?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 PM
binder

if you have the 2 6an lines that go to the back of the rails then all you'll need is a Y adapter to attach an 8an line to those small 6's. then that 8an line attaches to the hard pipe.

I would run the inline pump up front like you had it so it's closer to the fuel rails.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Mr_pharmD

I believe the aam alrdy has the y fitting going into the rails bc I can see one -6an line mate to the inline pump lines.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Mr_pharmD

if you have the 2 6an lines that go to the back of the rails then all you'll need is a Y adapter to attach an 8an line to those small 6's. then that 8an line attaches to the hard pipe.

I would run the inline pump up front like you had it so it's closer to the fuel rails.

any reason why u think I should run it closer to the rails? I was thinking of moving it in the rear to give me more room to run the -8an lines to n from the inline pump.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
accordfreak

Just wondering, how is your current setup with the inline pump running? Has it given you any problems?

If your goal is 600whp and people are making 500whp on a single walbro pump, wouldn't the added inline provide sufficient fuel to make 600whp safely?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:39 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
any reason why u think I should run it closer to the rails? I was thinking of moving it in the rear to give me more room to run the -8an lines to n from the inline pump.
The only thing i could reason the difference would be with the pump closer to the rails that will give the most volume of fuel between your intank and your inline which will give you more of a fuel buffer on quick throttle changes similar to a surge tank (which you opted not to use). If you utilized a surge tank i would say it wouldn't matter. In truth it might not matter either way. I was just speculating on the long fuel lines acting as a small surge pump for you.

Originally Posted by accordfreak
If your goal is 600whp and people are making 500whp on a single walbro pump, wouldn't the added inline provide sufficient fuel to make 600whp safely?
In theory. That theory will only hold true if an inline pump of the same size with no surge tank will provide enough fuel. Since there are only a handful of people even running an inline for high builds (and those use a bosch 044 and surge tank) then we don't really know yet.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:25 PM
str8dum1

it doesnt matter. you dont see dual pumps in tank pumps next to the fuel rails. no difference.

Thats what a fuel pressure regulator is for.

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
Old 07-08-2010, 12:55 PM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
it doesnt matter. you dont see dual pumps in tank pumps next to the fuel rails. no difference.

Thats what a fuel pressure regulator is for.

but they don't need a surge tank either

iirc thom was going to add supplemental inline pumps before the triple hanger. He was going to run 1 extra walbro right before each fuel rail. I can't remember why, but either him or larry might be able to explain why so close to the rails.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:59 PM
thom000001

Not me,

At first we were going to do the intank walbro and later add an a inline (like weldon or something)..but then larry/chris wanted to due triple in-tank hangar on mine...so we did the triples

Tom

but they don't need a surge tank either

iirc thom was going to add supplemental inline pumps before the triple hanger. He was going to run 1 extra walbro right before each fuel rail. I can't remember why, but either him or larry might be able to explain why so close to the rails.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:49 PM
binder

Originally Posted by thom000001
Not me,

At first we were going to do the intank walbro and later add an a inline (like weldon or something)..but then larry/chris wanted to due triple in-tank hangar on mine...so we did the triples

Tom
hmm, maybe it was ttrank or whatever that mod's name is. It was a T name and i could have swore it was you that mentioned quite a while ago running the dual inlines behind the fuel rails. Obviously before you went triple.

I guess i misquoted the person and it'll probalby be impossible to find out who it was by searching for that post on here.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Mr_pharmD

I got a question, say if the inline pump fails (knock on wood) will it still flow the same with only the walbro intank? We all can agree that 1 intank pump should be good up to 600whp on dynojet with the cjm hardlines but if I had the inline pump (for extra flow) in this equation and it stops working, will my fuel flow still be enough to support 600whp or will it just block fuel completely?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:06 PM
binder

It won't block fuel completely, but it "might" restrict flow.

That was one of the questions charles asked me when i thought about doing an inline. He was pretty certain an 044 would flow since many people use them inline but since there aren't any (or anyone on here at least) that has used a walbro directly inline and not through the bypass from vortech we don't know how well it would flow.

I would assume that it would flow just fine since it's designed for fuel to go through it. In truth i would wire both pumps to the same circuit so if one trips a fuse you lose all fuel and the car dies. Now it just failing but not drawing amps to blow the fuse, best i can say is have the fcon setup to kill power at a certain a/f under boost and you'll be ok.

failsafes make the world a happy place.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:07 PM
binder

oh, if you want to be a great guy you could just test that theory for us and cut power to the inline while on the dyno and have the tuner see if you can sustain your max hp map with just the in tank. that way you'll know for sure.