Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

AAM Stage 1 Fuel Return...smells like fuel!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 PM
GT-ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAM Stage 1 Fuel Return...smells like fuel!

I installed a used kit I bought from here and while it works PERFECTLY, my car always smells like fuel. I did some research on it and apparently this was common with the kit that did not have the return line coated but my return line has a silicone ( kinda transparent like ) like sleeve on it except on one small part where I added a bit of line to it. The rest of the setup has no sleeve or coating or anything. Is this normal? I can't see any leaks.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it only when the tank is full or all the time?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Mr_pharmD

Also, u should buy my machined pulley bc this setup will for sure get u some extra 1-2psi out of your 2.87 pulley.

https://my350z.com/forum/turbos-nitr...s-vortech.html
Old 07-08-2010, 10:59 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of the early kits (e.g. several years ago) had this issue with sweating lines but that was fixed a while ago...is your kit old/used? Otherwise it could be the seal on your tank which you would know if you only smell it after gassing up. FWIW my stage 1 kit doesn't smell at all, I bought it late-2008.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:09 AM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
is it only when the tank is full or all the time?
All the time.

Originally Posted by djamps
Some of the early kits (e.g. several years ago) had this issue with sweating lines but that was fixed a while ago...is your kit old/used? Otherwise it could be the seal on your tank which you would know if you only smell it after gassing up. FWIW my stage 1 kit doesn't smell at all, I bought it late-2008.
I bought it used. How can I tell what kit I have? As for the seal on the gas tank, I epoxied the crap out of the fitting for the return line in the fuel pump housing so I don't think that's the problem.

Also, u should buy my machined pulley bc this setup will for sure get u some extra 1-2psi out of your 2.87 pulley.

https://my350z.com/forum/turbos-nitr...s-vortech.html
lol...I already have an idler pulley on for extra belt wrap.

Last edited by GT-ER; 07-09-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:24 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it's the oring around the pump. If that's not installed correctly it could cause a lot of problems with fuel smell.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:37 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the sleeve they are talking about is inside the hose, you cant see it externally..

but I'm using standard SS braided lines and I dont smell gas. How is your Evap system plumbed?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 AM
thom000001

Evap system is my thought as well.

Mine has been removed and I get a fuel smell....if car is in garage or there is no breeze it is noticable...when moving or in breeze don't notice it.

Tom
Old 07-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by GT-ER
All the time.

I bought it used. How can I tell what kit I have? As for the seal on the gas tank, I epoxied the crap out of the fitting for the return line in the fuel pump housing so I don't think that's the problem.

lol...I already have an idler pulley on for extra belt wrap.
So u have the stock idler pulley smoothed down or just that small idler pulley near the top of the 2.87?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Mr_pharmD

where do u smell the fuel coming from? Near the regulator or near the fuel pump? I do notice a faint smell of vapor coming from the regulator lines so if it's coming from there u might want to start swapping out the lines with CJM ones or try retightening your aam lines a little more to see if that helps.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 AM
GT-ER

where do u smell the fuel coming from? Near the regulator or near the fuel pump? I do notice a faint smell of vapor coming from the regulator lines so if it's coming from there u might want to start swapping out the lines with CJM ones or try retightening your aam lines a little more to see if that helps.
Pretty much everywhere, but under the hood it smells a lot more. Around the car it smells but it's not enough to really bother me...I just want to know if it's normal.

So u have the stock idler pulley smoothed down or just that small idler pulley near the top of the 2.87?
I have an extra idler I bought and placed next to the 2.87 pulley and have about 300* of belt wrap.

Originally Posted by str8dum1
the sleeve they are talking about is inside the hose, you cant see it externally..

but I'm using standard SS braided lines and I dont smell gas. How is your Evap system plumbed?
My Evap is stock. Is there a way to tell what kit I have? If it's the modern one or the old one?

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Maybe it's the oring around the pump. If that's not installed correctly it could cause a lot of problems with fuel smell.
I'll check that.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:45 AM
TwoFiveBar

---

Last edited by TwoFiveBar; 03-15-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:43 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

did NOT read entire post but two of my buds had this and some of them had the wrong o-ring.

correct size but a fuel vs hydraulic

fuel ate the hydro ring and it leaked right at the firewall right onto the downpipes...

yikes!

check your o-rings and connections for leaks....obviously colder temps will yield the leak easier and faster.

good luck
Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the smell is coming through your firewall not from the back of the car.

if you are driving and smelling while driving a leak in the rear? you would not smell.

i say check under the hood my friend.

no if you smell it a light or something possibly the rear, also if you dont have cats that could also be a culprit.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by TwoFiveBar
If the Hose-ends are red/blue and the hose is standard s/s then you have a kit from 2-3 years ago.

The kits were revamped at the end of 07. The new kits include black/silver hose ends, the lines are teflon lined and the color of the line is dark silver with a small black weave.
Yup, I got the older version then. Too bad.

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL
did NOT read entire post but two of my buds had this and some of them had the wrong o-ring.

correct size but a fuel vs hydraulic

fuel ate the hydro ring and it leaked right at the firewall right onto the downpipes...

yikes!

check your o-rings and connections for leaks....obviously colder temps will yield the leak easier and faster.

good luck
I'm not sure I know what O-ring you are talking about.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:20 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

o rings around the injectors leaking? You should see it dripping around the valve cover if you look closely. Might just be one injector. It's very easy to tear O rings putting them in and have them leak some time later.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by rcdash
o rings around the injectors leaking? You should see it dripping around the valve cover if you look closely. Might just be one injector. It's very easy to tear O rings putting them in and have them leak some time later.
I tried to see and couldn't find any leaks around there. The fuel pressure will also stay high throughout the night so I'm just going to assume it's because I have the older style kit. Too bad really, but at least I got it pretty cheap.