Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Dream Works Racing SST Aqua Cooled Super Charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 01:08 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by 03daytonabluetrack
Wow, sounds like a nice piece of equipment. 1 question they will not be boosting 7PSI??
I think that if you read their webpage, it will help you understand their direction they plan on going, here is the link:

http://www.dreamworkes.com/about.ivnu

I was asked this question before regarding boost level and hp it will provide. The first level is to provide a warranty, smog legal, everyday driver 350Z. This is the one that looks like it will be 5.5psi boost, 400 crank hp.

A hint at another level is found right on their web page that says "Now for the enthusiast seeking the highest performance street legal automobiles available, Dream Workes Racing is building 25 350Z super cars and 20 Sentra SER Spec V super cars for 2003 with performance figures that will be proven in up-coming issues of national performance magazines when such magazines will do the testing/photo shoot. We can only say that the 350 Z will have upwards of 550hp and the Sentra SER Spec V approximately 400 with handling and braking to harness such power. The super car runs will carry special name plates as well as a owner registered VIN number".

So it appears that not only some of you want to boost it, but DW appears to being doing the same less the warranty and CARB. If this happens, you got a choice, less risk/hp with warranty or a bit more risky but lots of hp. I think you know which way you might want to go based on your personality.

Jeff - zland
Old 11-11-2003, 01:19 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by rgreene
Do we know if the warranty will be honored by dealers? I'm guessing not...
Lets hope that what they are saying is true. On page one of my post, when I spoke to Dream workes the first time Andy said "The company that will insure the drivetrain is called Del Financial. Yes, he said drivetrain, not motor and it is based on you keeping the boost set at their specs.

Nick later told me that they would be able to access if a motor was over rev'ed and if the car was not abused it would be covered by their warranty.

Notice directly on their webpage it says "All aqua cooled supercharger and aqua cooled turbocharger kits are 50 state legal and come with a 3 year / 36,000 mile Power Train Warranty that supersedes factory warranty.
Orders can be placed through an authorized Nissan/Infinity dealer, direct from Dream Workes or through an authorized Dream Workes retailer or installation center".

From what is stated above, the Nissan dealer DIRECTED from Dream Workes would do the repair. This to me means dealers that would sell and install their SC'ers. Notice also it says "a 3 year / 36,000 mile Power Train Warranty that supersedes factory warranty" The key word to me is supercedes meaning they will warranty it before the factory warranty is even ask to repair the damage.

Besides making the effort to call up people like Vortec and Dream Workes, I am no different than any other consumer that reads these forums and owns a Z. All I can do is tell you what they are telling me what their webpages say. IMHO, their webpages carries some validity in that it was posted by them on the internet/their webpage. I guess the binding legal contract comes with the actual printed warranty you would recieve when you purchased the kit.

Jeff - zland

Last edited by zland; 11-11-2003 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:43 PM
g356gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious about the ECU upgrade. It has been mentioned that this is a reflashed ecu. Will this come with the kit so we can change back to the stock ecu if we ever sell the car or kit?.....or is there a core charge and you have to send you're stock ecu back to Dreamworks???
Old 11-11-2003, 01:57 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by g356gear
I am curious about the ECU upgrade. It has been mentioned that this is a reflashed ecu. Will this come with the kit so we can change back to the stock ecu if we ever sell the car or kit?.....or is there a core charge and you have to send you're stock ecu back to Dreamworks???
I sent an e-mail to Nick of Dream Workes and pasted your question. If he relies to my e-mail, I will post the answer for you here.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2003, 02:17 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default opps

opps

Last edited by CaLiFoRnIaZ; 11-11-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:19 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default DRIVETRAIN=MOTOR,TRANNY,etc.

Just to clear up what DRIVETRAIN MEANS.

Drive train means ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ETC. Let me ask you a question..........What drives the train down the track????????? The Motor and Trans.

Hope this has cleared up confusion about the DW warrenty. I have talked to DW alot the past week and they did confirm my theory on what drivetrain means, they did say DRIVETRAIN = MOTOR, TRANNY,rearend, driveshaft,etc. -

-CaLi-[/S]

13.241 @ 106.7 mph
Attached Thumbnails Dream Works Racing SST Aqua Cooled Super Charger-car.jpg  
Old 11-11-2003, 02:21 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default Piggyback ECU

The ECU is similiar to Greddy, piggyback style.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:03 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default WoOt

can you say wOoT!
Old 11-11-2003, 03:24 PM
whosdady

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
But DEALER warranty and Dealer install.

Thats a big difference.

I was under the impression the Stillen kit is warrantied by your choice of service centers, IE a dealership or speed shop. (you get to chose) My Nissan dealership installs ATI. I can only assume they would warranty the Stillen kit if they installed it.(through the Stillen/Dell agreement)

Besides, if I lowered my boost (went with a bigger pulley) I could not imagine having any problems with the ATI kit at 5.5 lbs. I think it is safe to say that the lower boost on either system would be safe from engine problems.

My only gripe with DW is: they should warranty boost up to 7PSI or higher. The warranty doesn't do a lot of good IMO because no one will buy the kit to only see 5.5 lbs. This is why we only see a handful of guys with Stillen kits. Not enough power to warrant the expense. However that is not to say guys wont buy this kit and forgo the warrenty becuase they feel it could be safer than the ATI kit.

Like I said earlier, I would trade my ATI kit in for this one if I had a warranty and could boost up to 7PSI. Otherwise I would make the same choice today that I made seveal months ago and buy the ATI kit. I just couldn't handle taping any lines and wondering what it could do to the rest of my engine if there was a problem.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you should be lucky there is any warranty of any kind.

Fruthermore, lots of companies have warranties which are meaningless - not saying this is the case, I know nothing about this company nor have I ever heard of them....but how a warranty sounds on a website and how it behaves in real life are 2 different things.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:04 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by whosdady

My only gripe with DW is: they should warranty boost up to 7PSI or higher. The warranty doesn't do a lot of good IMO because no one will buy the kit to only see 5.5 lbs.

I'll be happy to buy it with that warranty. An extra 120hp that puts the car in Z06 territory??? With a three year drivetrain warranty and CARB legal??? Fine by me. And after the warranty is up, if I still have the car, I can raise the boost.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:59 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting

the warranty makes this deal look really sweet.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Gurp

yeah, the warranty would totally justify this purchase for me. Just wondering if the warranty will cover everything it says, or will excuses be given if the warranty needs to be used
Old 11-11-2003, 05:50 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default warranty

When I talked to the guy at DW I asked him if I had my local speed shop do the install would the warranty be honored.........he said it is very easy, "just have your shop call us, and we will set up everything for them to become a certified installer for us, so the warranty would be in effect, yes". Sounds like you truley can't go wrong if you want to spend approx. $5,500.00 for the SC and $1,500.00 for Install and Tuning for 100RWHP with a warrany.....YES I WANT ONE!..................I run a 13.241 with my 55 hit of NOS........I figure with 100 to the wheels, i would take 5/10ths off that, say 12.741. That is very fast, At the drags near sacramento this guy has a ZO6 and runs 12.5-12.9 and 12.75 being the average........with a 55 hit of NOS on top of the blower good buy Z06........I just would keep my 55 hit of nos for those special occasions. of course I would take it out and make stock before installing new kit and the intake and the whatever else might make it so i cant get the warranty.....

Peace and Happy Driving!!!!

Kevin
AKA - CaLi-

Last edited by CaLiFoRnIaZ; 11-11-2003 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:53 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by g356gear
I got your answer for you. Here is what Nick at DW e-mailed me below:

Jeff.
At this time we have our own up-grade with fuel management so as we can reprogram the ECU for stages 1, 2 and 3. So yes the SC can be removed and the ECU can go back to stock.
Nick

Note above that he mentioned ECU for stages 1,2, & 3? So if you are wondering if this kit will only be able to put out 400 crank hp, this might be a hint of things to come.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2003, 05:57 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default nice

nice, thxs zland for the update!!!! Keep it coming!!!

Kevin
Old 11-11-2003, 06:01 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

CaLiFoRnIaZ/Kevin:

You got a pm from me.

Jeff - zland
Old 11-11-2003, 06:10 PM
J Ritt

Guys...just something to keep in mind about the power ratings and this type of supercharger...this type of blower is similar to what MB AMG's run...they make a lot of power early on, whereas a centrifugal charger makes power later. Keep in mind the area under the curve. This type of charger might be the ticket for someone who wants immediate power out of slow corners, and low rpms. If you've ever driven an E55 or SL55 AMG...you'll know what I'm talking about...yum!
Old 11-11-2003, 06:30 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by J Ritt
Guys...just something to keep in mind about the power ratings and this type of supercharger...this type of blower is similar to what MB AMG's run...they make a lot of power early on, whereas a centrifugal charger makes power later. Keep in mind the area under the curve. This type of charger might be the ticket for someone who wants immediate power out of slow corners, and low rpms. If you've ever driven an E55 or SL55 AMG...you'll know what I'm talking about...yum!
I think you might have a good point. The 400chp might be more "useable" in a pratical application just because it is found in lower rpm levels vs the Vortec/ATI basically provides which is about 1psi of boost per 1000 rpm's. Simply put, the later might be putting out only 3psi at 3000rpm so the max hp might be more but the lower end rpms is less.

Guys, I am trying to get ATI,Vortec, and DW SC cars on a track together so we can see if this is really the case.

As it is right now, we got ATI and Stillen Z's lines up for testing with SportZ in December. The ATI has the high rpm hp and the Stillen has the low rpm hp so we can get somewhat of a picture of how this effects a Z in a real world application then.

Jeff - Zland

Last edited by zland; 11-11-2003 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:58 PM
whosdady

Originally posted by
ZZtopp

I'll be happy to buy it with that warranty. An extra 120hp that puts the car in Z06 territory??? With a three year drivetrain warranty and CARB legal??? Fine by me. And after the warranty is up, if I still have the car, I can raise the boost.
So why didn't you buy the stillen kit? Its been out for a while and is less expensive (even with the hood) and has the same warranty and power figures.

In a stock Z, 5.5 lbs of boost producing an extra 120 hp is optimistic and will not move you up to Z06 performance (even though the hp numbers will be close) That is not to say with a 50 shot or with other mods that you wont be close or faster I was suprised that 7PSI didn't put me ahead of a stock Z06 running 12.75's at the track . The Z is much heavier and a S/C Z is even hevier.

By the way I am not trying to be negative about this kit. I just don't see the advatages of this kit over stillen. Both have less boost than ATI/Vortec. It is also my opinion that more boost in the lower RPM's will most likely hurt performance oppose to helping it. I have more wheel spin than I know what to do with now with the boost the ATI kit makes. I would hate to see what you could do with this kit.

Last edited by whosdady; 11-11-2003 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Dream Works Racing SST Aqua Cooled Super Charger