Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Dream Works Racing SST Aqua Cooled Super Charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 07:14 PM
ElvishasaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by whosdady
So why didn't you buy the stillen kit? Its been out for a while and is less expensive (even with the hood) and has the same warranty and power figures.

In a stock Z, 5.5 lbs of boost producing an extra 120 hp is optimistic and will not move you up t Z06 performance (even though the hp numbers will be close) That is not to say with a 50 shot or with other mods that you wont be close or faster I was suprised that 7PSI didn't put me ahead. The Z is much heavier and a S/C Z is even hevier.

By the way I am not trying to be negative about this kit. I just don't see the advatages of this kit over stillen.

well they way it appears if there is approx 18% drivetrain loss on a stock output at the crank which is 287 -18% (51.66) = 235.34 and if that same ratio holds true @ 400 Crank - 18% = 328 RWHP
not bad at all from a stock engine. Plus we all know that you can bump up the output of a stock engine at least 9% with bolt ons like intake+headers+cats+exhaust even with their minimal NA gains. So add 9 % to 328RWHP which would be better than 9 percent w/ FI (anyway) but for the sake of simplicity that makes
357 RWHP at least. So take it for what it is and with a warranty to boot without any major surgery on your car and it being easily reverted. For those in quest of every ounce of engine power add flywheel and pullies and well you could easily hit 380 RWHP w/FI.

Im in sign me up!
Old 11-11-2003, 07:14 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default opPs!

oppS!

Last edited by CaLiFoRnIaZ; 11-11-2003 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:16 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default umm

the stillen kit that equals the power output of the DW (400hp) is not covered under warranty i think, not 100 percent sure though, and remember you got to get the hood at 650.00 plus paint for 350.00, you are looking at 6,250.00 and change (SC 3,750, interc 1,500, hood, 650 paint, 350)
Attached Thumbnails Dream Works Racing SST Aqua Cooled Super Charger-car.jpg  

Last edited by CaLiFoRnIaZ; 11-11-2003 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:21 PM
ZZtopp

So why didn't you buy the stillen kit? Its been out for a while and is less expensive (even with the hood) and has the same warranty and power figures.

In a stock Z, 5.5 lbs of boost producing an extra 120 hp is optimistic and will not move you up to Z06 performance (even though the hp numbers will be close) That is not to say with a 50 shot or with other mods that you wont be close or faster I was suprised that 7PSI didn't put me ahead of a stock Z06 running 12.75's at the track . The Z is much heavier and a S/C Z is even hevier.

By the way I am not trying to be negative about this kit. I just don't see the advatages of this kit over stillen. Both have less boost than ATI/Vortec. It is also my opinion that more boost in the lower RPM's will most likely hurt performance oppose to helping it. I have more wheel spin than I know what to do with now with the boost the ATI kit makes. I would hate to see what you could do with this kit.
I'd really rather not add that grotesque double lump to the hood, it's not CARB legal yet, the intercooler came just recently, and the warranty certainly can't compete with what DW appears to be offering. I'm in no rush, and I'll wait to see what shapes up best for others before I leap in. If I had to choose right now, it would be either Vortech (based on rep) or DW. Also, I can't find an installer in Las Vegas. I'm not thrilled about having my installer 300 miles away if something goes wrong. Stillen has made no effort to certify any installer here, but perhaps DW will.

I had a 2002 Z06, and the only thing I really miss about the POS was the power. If I can get even close to that in the Z, I'll be happy. I don't track my car nor do I need any bragging rights with quarter mile times to sleep well at night. I just think the Z would feel even better with another 100HP. Gimme the SC and a real warranty and I'm done.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:51 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default wOzZeRs

damn, you drive alot!!

Last edited by CaLiFoRnIaZ; 11-11-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:55 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zland,

Can you find out for sure what the deal is with the front strut bar?

Does it stay or does it go?

Thanks,
D'oh!
Old 11-11-2003, 09:04 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by D'oh
Zland,

Thanks,
D'oh!
D'oh:
I am 99% sure that the last time I spoke to Nick, he said the strut bar can be put back on. I dont like being 99% sure when i give you an answer so I already e-mailed him with that question. Hopefully he will reply sometime tomorrow so we are 100% sure.

Jeff - zland
Old 11-12-2003, 04:18 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zland.... will you please empty your PM's!!!!! Been trying to return a PM for 2 days now.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:26 AM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default oOpS!

OoPs!

Last edited by CaLiFoRnIaZ; 11-12-2003 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:31 AM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default ya

ya, empty that damn thing.....HEHE!!
Old 11-12-2003, 07:38 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I just erased a buch of my PM's, try again guys....
Old 11-12-2003, 09:38 AM
whosdady

Default Well

Originally posted by ElvishasaZ
well they way it appears if there is approx 18% drivetrain loss on a stock output at the crank which is 287 -18% (51.66) = 235.34 and if that same ratio holds true @ 400 Crank - 18% = 328 RWHP
not bad at all from a stock engine. Plus we all know that you can bump up the output of a stock engine at least 9% with bolt ons like intake+headers+cats+exhaust even with their minimal NA gains. So add 9 % to 328RWHP which would be better than 9 percent w/ FI (anyway) but for the sake of simplicity that makes
357 RWHP at least. So take it for what it is and with a warranty to boot without any major surgery on your car and it being easily reverted. For those in quest of every ounce of engine power add flywheel and pullies and well you could easily hit 380 RWHP w/FI.

Im in sign me up!

Personally I think the 400 hp at 5.5lbs figure is high, but assuming it holds true 235 rwhp is about right. I think 9% is a strectch for those bolt on items items listed above but I think you bring up a good point. This has not been addressed, but I would think DW will choose not to warrant a car that has any additional parts. IE headers, test pipes, ect. Therefore your 380 rwhp figure may be possible but will not be covered by a warranty.

ZZtop: Yes, I agree the Stillen hood is ugly but to save a little $$$ I could live with it. I have heard others say they like it. Besides a full hood is not necessary. (They sell a cowl) About the carb certification, both are working on getting this and both will get it IMO. As far as the warranty is concerned, the Stillen warranty is far superoir than what has been announced by DW. Stillen has a binding contract garenteed by a company. There is only speculation from DW.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:54 AM
spazpilot

I would just like to see some pics of it on the car. All I have seen so far is just prototype pics. any?
Old 11-12-2003, 11:42 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Well

Personally I think the 400 hp at 5.5lbs figure is high, but assuming it holds true 235 rwhp is about right.
Jesse posted a rule of thumb for boost is 8% per 1psi. Do the math, it is pretty close.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

... who's in charge of the ECU tuning?
Old 11-12-2003, 12:21 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Chebosto
... who's in charge of the ECU tuning?
From what I gathered from talking to Nick of DW's, it is in house. He stated several times they got the Engineers from Toyota/TRD and the difference in this product compared to others is the engineering.

Cheston: FYI, we finally got the track date for the 1st annual Mossy 350Z track day. It is Friday, March 5th. Look in the coupe section, the thread is there. here is the link

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=3

Zland - Jeff

Last edited by zland; 11-12-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:34 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just an FYI guys - the bosot pressure it is running is a relatively insignificant number in terms of what it will put out - different sources of forced induction are efficient at different boost levels.

I wonder what the noise is like on one of these?
Old 11-12-2003, 01:48 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
I wonder what the noise is like on one of these?
I asked Nick that question. He said the noise was there, noticeable but not annoying/excessive. He has not seen an ATI on a Z in person so he could not make a comparision. Trying to explain the noise level of a SC is somewhat difficult to do, especially if they cannot compare it to the noise level of another SC for you. Then, after that, to try to describe the pitch of whine makes it more difficult.

Last edited by zland; 11-12-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:54 PM
ZZtopp

Default Re: Well

ZZtop: Yes, I agree the Stillen hood is ugly but to save a little $$$ I could live with it. I have heard others say they like it. Besides a full hood is not necessary. (They sell a cowl) About the carb certification, both are working on getting this and both will get it IMO. As far as the warranty is concerned, the Stillen warranty is far superoir than what has been announced by DW. Stillen has a binding contract garenteed by a company. There is only speculation from DW.

It's not about saving money....that hood is unacceptable to me at any price. In what way is the Stillen warranty superior? Also, Stillen released the kit without the intercooler at first, and there were problems with heat, pinging, etc. I find it objectionable to sell something that is not yet perfected. It seems that DW is doing it right the first time, but I guess we'll have to wait and see for sure.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:42 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by D'oh
Zland,

Thanks,
D'oh!
I just got an e-mail from Nick. I' ll post it below. BTW, any other questions you guys have about this system just ask and I will forward them to Nick @DW.

Jeff:
1. At this time I will say yes the strut brace will work. However, we may have to make brackets, maybe not. We will know by mid December.
2. As for your brother or other shops doing the install, if the system is installed professionally, no problem with warrantee. If the system is not installed properly and this causes damage; need I say more?
3. I have received your email cc/Dave (SportZ), I spoke to him and he will attach a side bar to the test.; details will follow, as I receive them I will forward to you.

Thanks again,
Nick

Last edited by zland; 11-13-2003 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Dream Works Racing SST Aqua Cooled Super Charger