Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stillen Supercharger for drifting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:17 PM
rubabealf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen Supercharger for drifting?

Hey guys I drift the hell out of my z, I am at a cross roads on my next up grade. I want close to 325 whp and was wondering how a stillen supercharger will work for drifting? I know that a single or twin turbo will be better so please don't comment on that, a turbo set up is too much for a stock vq to handle at the track. I kick the crap out o my car and I don't want to worry about blowing it up. It's stillen or Iam going to rebuild it for a NA set up witch will cost more than the charger. Any input is great please tell me why u think witch is best!

Thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 09:08 PM
sradenton

If your future goal is only 325whp any fi system will have no problem. If it was my choice and my goal was the same was u. I would buy a vortech, because of the gtm pulley upgrade to keep it from slipping. turbocharger to me would not be smart for drift on a stock block, because for the heat it and torque they make and your going to be at high rpm a lot.

Here are some vids.

stillen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn2yJC5Im4E&feature=fvwk

stillen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEJVPBkci_M

vortech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOLxA...ayer_embedded#!

Last edited by sradenton; 10-02-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Velocity350Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rubabealf
Hey guys I drift the hell out of my z, I am at a cross roads on my next up grade. I want close to 325 whp and was wondering how a stillen supercharger will work for drifting? I know that a single or twin turbo will be better so please don't comment on that, a turbo set up is too much for a stock vq to handle at the track. I kick the crap out o my car and I don't want to worry about blowing it up. It's stillen or Iam going to rebuild it for a NA set up witch will cost more than the charger. Any input is great please tell me why u think witch is best!

Thanks
I can't say why but eastwick witches are best.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:58 PM
rubabealf

On the vortex the power curb is all missed up! Not suitable for really any kind of racing, but really fun on the street, your right a turbo is best but at 380whp with turbo lag I know how much I rip on the gas my vqde won't last long! I want low end tq so I don't haft to shift down all the time and keep the rpms up, so my choices with the money I have is stillen, NA rebuild. If I had 10 grand I would throw in a ls1 and a twin turbo built motor would cost more like 15 grand, I got like 5 grand to work with. I really don't like I idea of vortex.

Thanks for your input tho and the vids
Old 10-01-2010, 11:00 PM
rubabealf

Originally Posted by Velocity350Z
I can't say why but eastwick witches are best.
Eastwick witches? What are thoes?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:58 AM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about hks???
Old 10-02-2010, 03:41 AM
rubabealf

I don't know alot about the hks supercharger, what's the difference between the hks and the vortex?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:35 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

HKS is a Rotex, the Stillen is a Roots, and the Vortech is a centrifugal type supercharger. Ok I'm no expert and I understand the base principles but real FI guys will correct me where I'm wrong. The Rotex uses a belt rather then gears to operate the actual air pump, it has its own traction oil reservor for the belt. They seem not to make the power that the Vortechs do but they have less of the "whine" associated with the other 2 superchargers mentioned. They build boost as well rather than the instantaneous boost madness that the Roots systems have, the roots system actually replaces the intake mani and uses two scrolls to force air into the engine. The Vortech system uses a impeller system similar to the Rotex but uses gears instead of a belt to operate the pump... They all use a serpentine belt to run the system but the rotex also uses a belt to run the pump. Out of the 3 the Vortech will make the most power, the Stillen is more up your alley but sucks b/c you need to purchase the fugly Stillen hood, and the HKS is a good combo of both b/c it has some Turbo style characteristics but is a little more quickly to boost. Stillen and Vortechs make good power for the base kit... the HKS is less $ but also makes less HP but all three are upgradable. GTM makes a solid HKS upgraded set up that is comparable in HP terms with the Stillen and Vortech. FI guys Please Flame if I was wrong...
Old 10-02-2010, 06:06 AM
XKR

Did someone say Stillen Let me call SuperchargedG, Doug and Alberto
Old 10-02-2010, 07:02 AM
SamSpicer

If you want 325whp that will be a lot easier with the stillen than with a built NA
Old 10-02-2010, 08:07 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm, vortech's make all their power from revs, drifters are all about revs...

yup, your logic is sound..

On the vortex the power curb is all missed up! Not suitable for really any kind of racing
Old 10-02-2010, 12:20 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to pop into this thread.............thats all folks.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:07 PM
rubabealf

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
HKS is a Rotex, the Stillen is a Roots, and the Vortech is a centrifugal type supercharger. Ok I'm no expert and I understand the base principles but real FI guys will correct me where I'm wrong. The Rotex uses a belt rather then gears to operate the actual air pump, it has its own traction oil reservor for the belt. They seem not to make the power that the Vortechs do but they have less of the "whine" associated with the other 2 superchargers mentioned. They build boost as well rather than the instantaneous boost madness that the Roots systems have, the roots system actually replaces the intake mani and uses two scrolls to force air into the engine. The Vortech system uses a impeller system similar to the Rotex but uses gears instead of a belt to operate the pump... They all use a serpentine belt to run the system but the rotex also uses a belt to run the pump. Out of the 3 the Vortech will make the most power, the Stillen is more up your alley but sucks b/c you need to purchase the fugly Stillen hood, and the HKS is a good combo of both b/c it has some Turbo style characteristics but is a little more quickly to boost. Stillen and Vortechs make good power for the base kit... the HKS is less $ but also makes less HP but all three are upgradable. GTM makes a solid HKS upgraded set up that is comparable in HP terms with the Stillen and Vortech. FI guys Please Flame if I was wrong...

THanks Man, I looked up the HKS and its sweet but i rather have the stillen and just cut a huge hole in my hood.

and yes puting on a Stillen would be much Easer than building a na motor,

Can anybody see the down fall of the Stillen besides the belt that slips on the old pullys and the fact that you dont get 400hp?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Hexxus

Can anybody see the down fall of the Stillen besides the belt that slips on the old pullys and the fact that you dont get 400hp?
The fact that you're going to spend a lot of money and probably still won't hit 325 hp.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:47 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by Hexxus
The fact that you're going to spend a lot of money and probably still won't hit 325 hp.
Yep
Old 10-02-2010, 04:08 PM
rubabealf

Originally Posted by str8dum1
hmm, vortech's make all their power from revs, drifters are all about revs...

yup, your logic is sound..

Not true! Why do u think all the pros are goin to v8's and twin turbo v6's the low end tq is very critical and can ge you out of trouble and you don't ever haft to down shift to 2 nd just stay in 3rd and it makes more tire smoke!

And with full exhaust no cats and a good tune I know it will make 325whp ez!

Dose anybody know where I can get a turner kit I don't want the fuel system that comes with the kit.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Not true! Why do u think all the pros are goin to v8's and twin turbo v6's the low end tq is very critical and can ge you out of trouble and you don't ever haft to down shift to 2 nd just stay in 3rd and it makes more tire smoke!

Dose anybody know where I can get a turner kit I don't want the fuel system that comes with the kit.

It is harder on your motor if you push a ton of torque in the lower gear than having it rev free in the 4000-6000rpm range. The load on your rods is much greater. You won't have to worry about that with the stillen, but I am just saying.

So, get a turbo kit with a small T3 turbo and go nuts. You will be able to get 330whp on 4psi, and a better torque curve than any supercharger kit out there. It will spool quick (under 3000rpm) and you will have all the torque you need at 4000rpm.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 10-02-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:51 PM
rubabealf

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
It is harder on your motor if you push a ton of torque in the lower gear than having it rev free in the 4000-6000rpm range. The load on your rods is much greater. You won't have to worry about that with the stillen, but I am just saying.

So, get a turbo kit with a small T3 turbo and go nuts. You will be able to get 330whp on 4psi, and a better torque curve than any supercharger kit out there. It will spool quick (under 3000rpm) and you will have all the torque you need at 4000rpm.

I have looked for one I donn know were to get one? Do u have a kit like that? If u do please let me know and send me the specs on it!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 PM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"325 ez!" Just put a smaller pulley and bump it up to 10 psi.
Make sure you get a 3 inch cat back and headers.
The fuel system isn't too bad. What is it, little injectors and a twin pump?
Just go for the tuner kit.
If you can't find one for a good price, just go with the Vortex.
More rubber=More smoke
Old 10-02-2010, 07:52 PM
rubabealf

I already got headers deleted cats no restrictions on the exhaust straight all the way back! Ya all I can find is the stage 2 some places have the stage one for like 200-300 less nut might as well get the stage two then! I would like the stage two with no fuel system.

Last edited by rubabealf; 10-02-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Stillen Supercharger for drifting?