Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Is there a single dyno proving spacers give power in FI apps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:52 PM
GT-ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a single dyno proving spacers give power in FI apps?

I had a skunk2 spacer and removed it and felt no difference...
Old 10-16-2010, 07:03 PM
twitch579

I think the people that invented the spacers made millions on something that really does nothing. I remember back in the day I was soooo excited to put my 5/16 spacer on....I drove the car about 100 miles that night and could not feel a bit of difference, wether it was 6hp or 10hp, I wanted my $275 back. I really think the same amount of performance can be had by just removing the spare tire and jack.

Now when i spent $275 on a Nitrous kit and smoked all my buddys cars I felt like that was money well spent.

Last edited by twitch579; 10-16-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:22 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

A spacer on a NA vehicle makes substantial (relatively), well documented gains. It has been reported that spacers make no difference with FI, but I have never personally seen a before/after dyno with a well controlled test. That said, some folks run spacers to potentially provide more equal cylinder distribution, an effect that is difficult to document or refute.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:37 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The answer to your question is probably no it makes no difference on a Forced induction engine. Look at the Cosworth plenum it doesn't make much power on a n/a application at all and on a forced induction application it only makes good power when reving so high. So, why would a plenum spacer work on a Forced induction application, that is my outlook on this issue.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:49 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I lost 1whp and 5wtq when I added a spacer, but it could have been run conditions. As for gains, no way.

There are other benefits to the spacer other than gains though. It allows better/more even flow to the cylinders, especially the fronts. This could mean smoother idle and low load.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:39 AM
GT-ER

Equal flow to all cylinders would equate to more power. The way the plenum swoops down to the front would increase velocity to the front cylinders which should make them fill equally regardless of spacer. I can understand the added effects of a larger plenum on a N/A engine but on a FI engine I just don't see how it could possibly help.There are tons of threads saying they DO help....but no proof anywhere.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 AM
UMW350Z

I would think spacers have less effect when the air is pressurized against the cylinders vesus when an engine has to actively suck and scavenge air.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:51 AM
BonesZ33

Porting the plenums would do better than a spacer on f/i applications is my opinion. PLus I heard of people having boost leaks at the spacer when running f/i.. good luck.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:40 PM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember reading a few threads like 6 years ago on this topic. A few motors were said to have excess wear in the front cylinders do to lean conditions. Pictures of the tear down were posted. Seems like after that, unanimous decision was that everyone needed plenums (Crawford & APS Tallboy) and plenum spacers.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:49 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GT-ER
Equal flow to all cylinders would equate to more power. The way the plenum swoops down to the front would increase velocity to the front cylinders which should make them fill equally regardless of spacer. I can understand the added effects of a larger plenum on a N/A engine but on a FI engine I just don't see how it could possibly help.There are tons of threads saying they DO help....but no proof anywhere.
The thing is that (as others already said) vacuum and boost are two different animals. The shortcomings of our stock plenum seem to diminish in boost. I ended up selling my angled plenum spacer - the angled versions are supposed to help equalize flow more than just gains...I'm considering putting it back in now for improving part throttle response and idle.

Last edited by djamps; 10-17-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:58 PM
usingthejohn

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
I would think spacers have less effect when the air is pressurized against the cylinders vesus when an engine has to actively suck and scavenge air.
thats what i was thinking.
now, this brings me to my next question, which is are there any proven gains using FI and the MREV? I know a lot of Vortech guys seem to list spacers and the MREV in the mod list, but are there any significant gains when using turbos and the MREV, or would that money be better spent somewhere else?