Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Most HP made with stock headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011 | 07:34 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by athens2jz
look at the difference in fuel during spool up between red and blue graphs. The red graph is 12.0 afr @ 2200 rpm while the blue graph shows not touching 12.0afr till 4000 rpm. Im not a tuner or a guru but that to me seems like a considerable factor in spool that should be adressed when comparing the two. I dont know what it means but maybe u tuners can enlighten us.
You don't need the fuel until you've got the air - look at the boost curves.

Bryan, that's a nice looking collector - what is the outlet diameter? For a cross sectional area provided by 1.75" tubing x 3, an outlet of 3" would seem optimal just crunching the #s but that seems like overkill preturbo and would probably hurt velocity. Also I would think that smaller diameter tubing would increase velocity and spool but decrease top end. So not sure how increased spool with your headers would equate to top end flow. Perhaps it's more a matter of equal length tubing more evenly spacing out pulses that is contributing to the earlier spool. Thinking in terms of pulses is another reason perhaps a 3" outlet is suboptimal. Would love to hear your thoughts on the design decisions that went into the headers - really a sweet looking piece.

Last edited by rcdash; 02-09-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2011 | 08:02 PM
bryan@momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rcdash
You don't need the fuel until you've got the air - look at the boost curves.

Bryan, that's a nice looking collector - what is the outlet diameter? For a cross sectional area provided by 1.75" tubing x 3, an outlet of 3" would seem optimal just crunching the #s but that seems like overkill preturbo and would probably hurt velocity. Also I would think that smaller diameter tubing would increase velocity and spool but decrease top end. So not sure how increased spool with your headers would equate to top end flow. Perhaps it's more a matter of equal length tubing more evenly spacing out pulses that is contributing to the earlier spool. Thinking in terms of pulses is another reason perhaps a 3" outlet is suboptimal. Would love to hear your thoughts on the design decisions that went into the headers - really a sweet looking piece.
Raj, our headers outlets are 2.25, the equal length is key, remember that the cylinders are 120 degrees apart, so that there is always capacity in the collector. The header woks the same in FI as in NA, as it produces more scavenging than the OE manifold (lots more). the scavenging produced for an NA car sucks air through the heads by creating a "vacuum". same effect for a turbo car except there is pressure there and a path for it to escape. The equal length primaries reduce the amount of back pressure.

I'm not the guy who designed them, but there was a lot of CFD analysis that went into the design, I'll get that data from R&D at a decent hour tomorrow and post it up
Old 02-09-2011 | 08:02 PM
mgrotel

the collector outlet diameter would not need to match the area of all three primary tubes because only one cylinder is firing at a time on each bank. i would want the outlet diameter to match whatever hfc/test pipe i had to keep turbulence minimized and velocity up. well, i should say that in reverse, i would want the hfc/test pipe diameter to match the collector outlet diameter i guess. all imo tho.

edit, previous post wasnt there when i typed this. that outlet diameter is perfect considering most hfc and test pipes use that 2.25". how much are these headers? pm me please if necessary to stay on topic. great thread

Last edited by mgrotel; 02-09-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2011 | 08:10 PM
bryan@momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mgrotel
the collector outlet diameter would not need to match the area of all three primary tubes because only one cylinder is firing at a time on each bank. i would want the outlet diameter to match whatever hfc/test pipe i had to keep turbulence minimized and velocity up. well, i should say that in reverse, i would want the hfc/test pipe diameter to match the collector outlet diameter i guess. all imo tho.

edit, previous post wasnt there when i typed this. that outlet diameter is perfect considering most hfc and test pipes use that 2.25". how much are these headers? pm me please if necessary to stay on topic. great thread
please check our website for prices and dealers
Old 02-10-2011 | 05:47 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by athens2jz
look at the difference in fuel during spool up between red and blue graphs. The red graph is 12.0 afr @ 2200 rpm while the blue graph shows not touching 12.0afr till 4000 rpm. Im not a tuner or a guru but that to me seems like a considerable factor in spool that should be adressed when comparing the two. I dont know what it means but maybe u tuners can enlighten us.
well this points out something i thought about when he first posted the graphs. the 8psi was on the box tune, from what ive heard very conservative timing, and the blue line was a "Final tune" more aggressive timing would also speed up the spool considerably.
Old 02-10-2011 | 06:51 AM
mgrotel

agreed, should be equal tunes to be apples to apples

i wonder if it would be worth a shot to cut up the stock manifolds, work the inside of them to get everything open and smooth, then weld them back together..... sounds ghetto, but if it works, i prefer oem looking parts anyway
Old 02-10-2011 | 07:19 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

agreed, should be equal tunes to be apples to apples

i wonder if it would be worth a shot to cut up the stock manifolds, work the inside of them to get everything open and smooth, then weld them back together..... sounds ghetto, but if it works, i prefer oem looking parts anyway

WHAT?

With the number of header brands out there why would you do that?

It would cost yo more to get the OEM headers cut/gutted/welded than a decent aftermarket header, and you would still be left with a shi..ty OEM header that has now been welded.

Here is your cut up OEM header:

8" long section of this:

You can see how long that 1.5" section is:

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 02-10-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2011 | 07:27 AM
mgrotel

i guess i was thinking it would cost less than 100$ but maybe youre right, i was just thinking out loud anyway
Old 02-10-2011 | 07:39 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore
Premier Member

i guess i was thinking it would cost less than 100$ but maybe youre right, i was just thinking out loud anyway
that wasnt thinking out loud. That was ignorant thinking
Old 02-10-2011 | 07:54 AM
mgrotel

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
that wasnt thinking out loud. That was ignorant thinking
call it what you want, i dont care. but thinking outside the box is what leads to good finds. i get tired of no one having an open mind to trying different things.
Old 02-10-2011 | 08:02 AM
mgrotel

yes, you are right, i was thinking that collector was closer to 2" with the outside material. im out of town now so i cant go out in my garage and look at the ones sitting there. but looking at the pictures, it seems that even if a guy was able to clean out that long collector, the part where the primaries merge does NOT look like a good arrangement to promote scavenging anyway. i fail
Old 02-10-2011 | 09:50 AM
bryan@momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

yes, you are right, i was thinking that collector was closer to 2" with the outside material. im out of town now so i cant go out in my garage and look at the ones sitting there. but looking at the pictures, it seems that even if a guy was able to clean out that long collector, the part where the primaries merge does NOT look like a good arrangement to promote scavenging anyway. i fail
Thomas Edison understood the profound secret that to succeed you have to be willing to fail and fail fast. To Edison all failure provided valuable information that he could use to correct his course, and lead him to eventual success.

I fail often too. its all in how you look at it.
Old 02-11-2011 | 10:09 AM
bryan@momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bryan@momentum
..., but there was a lot of CFD analysis that went into the design, I'll get that data from R&D at a decent hour tomorrow and post it up
Not to let this drop, I've asked R&D for the data, and he'll get it to me later today Monday.
Old 02-11-2011 | 10:37 AM
str8dum1

cool, so now thats its been beaten to death, how about someone actually get this kit installed properly with all the necessary add-ons and make some good numbers There are supras to clown
Old 02-11-2011 | 11:06 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by str8dum1
cool, so now thats its been beaten to death, how about someone actually get this kit installed properly with all the necessary add-ons and make some good numbers There are supras to clown
I am working on it.

I believe that this kit is capable of some very good numbers with the 67mm turbo.
Old 02-11-2011 | 08:06 PM
athens2jz

still no tuners explained the diff in fuel graphs. comparing a 8 psi to a 10 psi seems dumb, then add the fact that one is a complete tune and the other is a bolt on and hit the gas tune makes it a even more usless comparison. sorry.

Last edited by athens2jz; 02-11-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2011 | 01:29 AM
bbs350z

call it what you want, i dont care. but thinking outside the box is what leads to good finds. i get tired of no one having an open mind to trying different things.
that wasnt very good thinking to be brutally honest with you. oem was designed for emission purposes, not performance (even though this is a performance car)

people have open minds here, and use them, as witnessed with multiple products, kits, companies, etc. that all had great success and followings. this outside the box thinking, when used well, will produce successful results, as witnessed with momentum and boosted performance. but what you stated made almost no sense. now go with the outside the box thinking, and work on developing a header kit that produces numbers, and market them. we always could use a wider selection of parts.
Old 02-12-2011 | 06:35 AM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i have all the needed mods! I just keep running into crap with the dyno then the housing being small, etc etc.

i do'nt think there is a supporting mod left to put on my car (that would alter engine performance)
Old 02-12-2011 | 10:30 PM
S12 driver

BP - Since your ST bolts up to the factory manifold, wouldn't it be pretty simple to put on a set of DC or any short style headers and test the hypothesis? If you see hp gains at higher rpm, then that pretty much proves the restriction.
Old 02-13-2011 | 07:03 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by S12 driver
BP - Since your ST bolts up to the factory manifold, wouldn't it be pretty simple to put on a set of DC or any short style headers and test the hypothesis? If you see hp gains at higher rpm, then that pretty much proves the restriction.
I am in the process of doing this amongst other things. This spring (or as soon as I can drive the car) I will put tubular headers on, a 6265 T4 .81 BB turbo, and a bunch of temperature/pressure sensors all over the place to see what I come up with.

In the mean time, I am looking at headers, clutch, and a larger FMIC, although a 7” and 9” core will be tested for thermal efficiency.

Quick Reply: Most HP made with stock headers