Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Most HP made with stock headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011 | 09:21 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
I am in the process of doing this amongst other things. This spring (or as soon as I can drive the car) I will put tubular headers on, a 6265 T4 .81 BB turbo, and a bunch of temperature/pressure sensors all over the place to see what I come up with.

In the mean time, I am looking at headers, clutch, and a larger FMIC, although a 7” and 9” core will be tested for thermal efficiency.
offtopic but... hows the auto kit coming along? i searched a bit on google, but i was a bit lazy...
Old 02-13-2011 | 09:30 PM
woRthy
Banned

are you attempting to make some nice headers? i like momentums... but jezz people are crazy for spending that type of money on some headers..
Old 02-13-2011 | 09:34 PM
zmedic16

Originally Posted by woRthy
are you attempting to make some nice headers? i like momentums... but jezz people are crazy for spending that type of money on some headers..
couldnt agree more... they have nice looking pieces but daayummm.
Old 02-13-2011 | 09:35 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by woRthy
I really couldn't afford 1k+ for headers....
Old 02-13-2011 | 10:29 PM
rcdash

Just a drop in the bucket when building a motor... (maybe a little splash)
Old 02-14-2011 | 06:26 AM
bryan@momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rcdash
Thanx Raj,

Folks the price of the headers is directly related to amount of time and materials that go into them. There are 45 different weld seams in the headers, plus material.

There are cheaper headers out there for sure, and I would take the Pepsi challenge with any of them on longevity and heat tolerance. I cannot think of another header out there that was designed to be art of a turbo kit. There are extreme pressures and heat in that environment that do not exist in an NA application. Our headers have seen over 10k miles on the road course, with ZERO failures.

Our headers make good power on an NA car, and even better on an FI car.
Old 02-14-2011 | 10:21 AM
woRthy
Banned

Originally Posted by bryan@momentum
Thanx Raj,

Folks the price of the headers is directly related to amount of time and materials that go into them. There are 45 different weld seams in the headers, plus material.

There are cheaper headers out there for sure, and I would take the Pepsi challenge with any of them on longevity and heat tolerance. I cannot think of another header out there that was designed to be art of a turbo kit. There are extreme pressures and heat in that environment that do not exist in an NA application. Our headers have seen over 10k miles on the road course, with ZERO failures.

Our headers make good power on an NA car, and even better on an FI car.
maybe bp can come up with something in the books cost effective.
Old 02-14-2011 | 11:47 AM
zmedic16

1300+ is A bit steep.
Old 02-14-2011 | 12:23 PM
bryan@momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zmedic16
1300+ is A bit steep.
Yes it is. Like I said 45 welds in a set of headers. Like I'm sure Sasha would tell you, if awesome weld joints grew on trees, the price would be different. Welding takes time, good welding takes preparation, awesome welding takes skill, time, and really good preparation.

These are not Megan Racing headers, these headers are TIG welded, not wire fed MIG welded. That means the joints have to be perfect or very near perfect. A MIG welded unit would allow more tolerance in the joints.

They are true merge style collector headers, again nothing else on the market has this. This adds complexity and labor.

There are 45 welds, if we could have gotten the job done with 28 or 32 we would have. Again if great welds grew on trees, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But as much as I water the weld tree in the back yard it doesn't product fruit, so until I figure that out, we have to pay production to do the welding.

Looks like with just few minutes of research you can find a replacement Greddy manifold for $300, plus install....

I'm telling you ours don't break. Thousands of miles of track testing both NA and FI, holding some pretty serious boost numbers, these are the best headers on the market. Price is price, I'm not going to apologize for the price, it is a fair price for what it costs us to make them.
Old 02-14-2011 | 12:33 PM
civic4982

Originally Posted by rcdash
Agreed.

The Nismo headers I have ran + or - that price point. I recall it being in the > $1000 price range.
Old 02-14-2011 | 12:56 PM
GreenGoblin

I wish that I could have paid an additional $1300 for some great quality tubular manifolds on my greddy kit.
Old 02-14-2011 | 01:09 PM
bryan@momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

just a little diddy about our headers

<object width="640" height="360" id="_bridge" name="_bridge" data="http://www.momentumperformance.com/view/public/javascript/flowplayer/flowplayer.commercial-3.2.2.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://www.momentumperformance.com/view/public/javascript/flowplayer/flowplayer.commercial-3.2.2.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="flashvars" value='config={"key":"$f5172bdd8dbe7ee62cc","clip":{"autoPla y":false,"autoBuffering":true,"url":"http://momentumperformance.com/uploads/videos/MPHeadersPV2-ae56a6b1.f4v"},"gatracker":{"url":"http://momentumperformance.com/view/public/javascript/flowplayer.analytics-3.2.1.swf","trackingMode":"Bridge","bridgeObject":"_tracker" },"playlist":[{"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffering":true,"url":"http://momentumperformance.com/uploads/videos/MPHeadersPV2-ae56a6b1.f4v"}]}' /></object>
Old 02-14-2011 | 01:44 PM
GreenGoblin

Very nice, I see Solidworks is what you are using. Wish I had a FARO arm to play around with. Would you guys sell the flange from the headers, so if decide to give myself a headache and make tubular manifolds for my greddy kit?
Old 02-14-2011 | 01:55 PM
bryan@momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Very nice, I see Solidworks is what you are using. Wish I had a FARO arm to play around with. Would you guys sell the flange from the headers, so if decide to give myself a headache and make tubular manifolds for my greddy kit?
We are not currently setup to sell components of our SKUs, so sadly no.

and yes it is a headache
Old 02-14-2011 | 02:18 PM
str8dum1

why not build your motor before you start worrying about making more than the 700ft-lbs of trq thats achievable on the stock greddy manifolds

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
so if decide to give myself a headache and make tubular manifolds for my greddy kit?
Old 02-14-2011 | 02:20 PM
GreenGoblin

Originally Posted by str8dum1
why not build your motor before you start worrying about making more than the 700ft-lbs of trq thats achievable on the stock greddy manifolds
Already in the process, just piecing it all together.
Old 02-15-2011 | 12:11 AM
Resmarted

IMHO thread got straight JACKED.
Just sayin...
And im not helping but:
The thing is, 99% of the people out there aren't going to run their cars hard enough for some inferior quality headers to fail. I bet you I would never see cossies failing on me even with a turbo kit. Not necessarily because I'm a *****, but because my car is a street car, like so many others. Yes your headers are beautiful, and I know people who have been welding for nearly my whole life span, and I know the difference between TIG and MIG, but most people just won't benefit from all that R/D. And more importantly, most people can't afford it. IMO on a turbo car, i'd rather spend a bit more and buy a haltech than headers.
I'm not knocking your work, or your shop but I am stating that for most people they simply aren't necessary. I actually find myself* a bit perplexed as to why you would post pictures (of your kit) with the headers, but not include them in the kit.
And I still don't understand why there aren't any cars out there with the JIC manifolds... It would be really easy to create a wastegate 'tube' and move the turbos down some. And with all the work people put into making their kits better, it really wouldn't be too hard to have a shop fab up some IC piping, buy turbos, buy an IC, build a oil return tank and get some downpipes made etc... The only thing stopping me is $$$ or rather the lack of...

Last edited by Resmarted; 02-15-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2011 | 02:24 AM
350zzzgunnar

Originally Posted by bryan@momentum
just a little diddy about our headers

<object width="640" height="360" id="_bridge" name="_bridge" data="http://www.momentumperformance.com/view/public/javascript/flowplayer/flowplayer.commercial-3.2.2.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://www.momentumperformance.com/view/public/javascript/flowplayer/flowplayer.commercial-3.2.2.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="flashvars" value='config={"key":"$f5172bdd8dbe7ee62cc","clip":{"autoPla y":false,"autoBuffering":true,"url":"http://momentumperformance.com/uploads/videos/MPHeadersPV2-ae56a6b1.f4v"},"gatracker":{"url":"http://momentumperformance.com/view/public/javascript/flowplayer.analytics-3.2.1.swf","trackingMode":"Bridge","bridgeObject":"_tracker" },"playlist":[{"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffering":true,"url":"http://momentumperformance.com/uploads/videos/MPHeadersPV2-ae56a6b1.f4v"}]}' /></object>
Really love this awesome pieces and will include them in my setup now or in next engine build. Reason for hesitating doing it now is just laziness, it's some PITA to do it w/o pulling the engine, right? And also the need for a re-tune.
Old 02-15-2011 | 03:56 AM
bryan@momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 350zzzgunnar
Really love this awesome pieces and will include them in my setup now or in next engine build. Reason for hesitating doing it now is just laziness, it's some PITA to do it w/o pulling the engine, right? And also the need for a re-tune.
Nah, John and I knocked out a set in 1.5 hours. lots of experience
Old 02-15-2011 | 04:03 AM
bryan@momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Resmarted
IMHO thread got straight JACKED.
Just sayin...
Fair enough

And im not helping but:
The thing is, 99% of the people out there aren't going to run their cars hard enough for some inferior quality headers to fail. I bet you I would never see cossies failing on me even with a turbo kit. Not necessarily because I'm a *****, but because my car is a street car, like so many others. Yes your headers are beautiful, and I know people who have been welding for nearly my whole life span, and I know the difference between TIG and MIG, but most people just won't benefit from all that R/D. And more importantly, most people can't afford it. IMO on a turbo car, i'd rather spend a bit more and buy a haltech than headers.
again, fair enough

I'm not knocking your work, or your shop but I am stating that for most people they simply aren't necessary. I actually find myself* a bit perplexed as to why you would post pictures (of your kit) with the headers, but not include them in the kit.
the fact that we are the only ST manufacturer that did make headers to work with our ST had something to do with it. but your view is valid, we can throw another motor together and do the same shot with manifolds, but man they are ugly.

And I still don't understand why there aren't any cars out there with the JIC manifolds... It would be really easy to create a wastegate 'tube' and move the turbos down some. And with all the work people put into making their kits better, it really wouldn't be too hard to have a shop fab up some IC piping, buy turbos, buy an IC, build a oil return tank and get some downpipes made etc... The only thing stopping me is $$$ or rather the lack of...
the JIC manifolds you are talking about cost as much as our headers.

And what you are describing of fabbing your own turbo kit is a skill most don't have, nor do they want to afford a custom setup.

Quick Reply: Most HP made with stock headers