Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Any interest in a SS catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 AM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by abushong504
hmmm looks like a failed copy...
A copy?!! Come on!! It's not like it's an advanced piece of equipment with multiple sub-systems.
It's infuriating to see someone attempt to fab something in their spare time that could potentially benefit OUR CAR COMMUNITY and our own members **** on him from great height. He's not looking to take over the world and block out the sun (a la Mr. Burns) starting with a catch can for a limited edition car.
"Excellent... And my entire empire was built one tiny catch can at a time!!! I owe it all to a very select group of forced induction drivers of a vehicle that was produced for fewer than 10 years."
Old 08-17-2011, 10:03 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

more interesting is the ITB manifold with dual BOV's that their catch can is attached to!

hmmm looks like a failed copy of Dynosty's kit, where is the drain line?, that filter looks restrictive on crank case ventilation

Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

rich, that ITB setup when to a customer in Dubai. They just finished it up a couple weeks before i was in there shop last august to have my car tuned.

i snapped a few pics on my camera while i was waiting. It was a pretty sweet setup. Greg was telling me they built it for their road course car and some customer wanted a unique setup and was willing to pay a lot of cash for it so they ended up selling it.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:52 AM
abushong504

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJackson
A copy?!! Come on!! It's not like it's an advanced piece of equipment with multiple sub-systems.
It's infuriating to see someone attempt to fab something in their spare time that could potentially benefit OUR CAR COMMUNITY and our own members **** on him from great height. He's not looking to take over the world and block out the sun (a la Mr. Burns) starting with a catch can for a limited edition car.
"Excellent... And my entire empire was built one tiny catch can at a time!!! I owe it all to a very select group of forced induction drivers of a vehicle that was produced for fewer than 10 years."
Hope it didn't take you too long to compose that response. And the potential to benefit our car community has already been achieved since there is an exact kit like that already out made for our cars. I don't see how it would be so groundbreaking since one is already out there and as far as my knowledge is not too expensive.

Yes, the ITB set-up is pretty sick!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:29 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are those billet valve covers... Looks sick.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya i remember Greg/Hal mentioning it before and I saw some other teaser pics. At least that setup is out of the country LOL!

post any other pics if you had them. wonder how they mathematically determined optimal runner length and plenum volume. looks like a huge PITA to check plugs though
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 AM
binder

And the potential to benefit our car community has already been achieved since there is an exact kit like that already out made for our cars. I don't see how it would be so groundbreaking since one is already out there and as far as my knowledge is not too expensive.
which was built off of the design of a catch can that already exists. 180$ for a catch can system is pretty expensive. They had the first prototype built for a customer when i was there a year ago and i was talking to greg about it when we looked at the ITB engine. He said that the catch can would "easily be under 100$" so i was very excited about it. When they released it at 180$ i decided it wasn't for me. The summit racing catch can that my friends with domestics use was 40$. It doesn't have the mounting tabs on it but for 40$ i can make my own tabs.

I'm not sure what expensive is to you but 4 times the cost of what another company makes is quite expensive for me. And ya, i know the argument that other companies make them custom for our cars and they are double that price. The thing i have to say to that is the consumer is just wanting to waste money. 30$ in materials and 2 hours in time.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 AM
binder

rich, this is all i snapped on my crappy camera phone.

and i didn't think about changing the plugs when i looked at it but now that you mention it they are buried under that collector.
Attached Thumbnails Any interest in a SS catch can?-40955_643417624343_58200702_35782091_3489269_n.jpg   Any interest in a SS catch can?-47521_643417704183_58200702_35782093_6457223_n.jpg   Any interest in a SS catch can?-47565_643417504583_58200702_35782088_940239_n.jpg  
Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

hmmm looks like a failed copy of Dynosty's kit, where is the drain line?, that filter looks restrictive on crank case ventilation
Well, thank you for pointing this out….however..

When I started this “catch can” project I had no idea that IP had such a thing already built. Shortly after I started this thread, Dustin at IP emailed me saying that they have a catch can like that already. He made me an offer on the catch cans, since I already buy most of the BP turbo kit components from him. I buy the catch can, and catch can only, supply my own hoses fittings, filter..ect and sell it with the kit. I declined this offer (even thought it was very good, and the can looks great) because all the catch cans I have seen out there are aluminum, and I wanted to make a stainless unit. People like the look of stainless better, it has the "bling" factor .

As far as copying…feel free to google image “catch can”, and let me know which one I "copied"….as 80% of them are the same.
This is another reason I did not want to “copy” the TN turbo kit when I decided to turbo my car. I like to come up with my own stuff, and throw some creativity in to it, as you have seen the kit in person.

Now, I am going to go and make millions of these and drive all other catch can manufacturers out of business.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 08-18-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 AM
abushong504

Sasha,

Sorry if I came off as an *** lol. When I just first saw the pics, I thought immediately of mine since it is pretty much the exact same set-up. And I know that the concept of a catch can is not one of extreme difficulty, they are all the pretty much the same. And if you are going to offer one at a cheaper price, then by all means go for it. That is great. It is definitely an essential item for boosted cars and all of us know the prices on those build up quickly, so any "discount" or cheap item is always music to your ears ha.

Are you thinking about doing any custom PS reservoirs or anything like that?

And you are right, bling factor is always nice

Danny, yes, those are billet valvecovers haha. Wish I had those myself.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sasha,

Sorry if I came off as an *** lol. When I just first saw the pics, I thought immediately of mine since it is pretty much the exact same set-up. And I know that the concept of a catch can is not one of extreme difficulty, they are all the pretty much the same. And if you are going to offer one at a cheaper price, then by all means go for it. That is great. It is definitely an essential item for boosted cars and all of us know the prices on those build up quickly, so any "discount" or cheap item is always music to your ears ha.

Are you thinking about doing any custom PS reservoirs or anything like that?

And you are right, bling factor is always nice

Danny, yes, those are billet valvecovers haha. Wish I had those myself.
I will let it go this time, but next time you may not be so lucky..

Yes, I do plan on buiding a PS reservoir this winter and a few other things. Those polished parts look great BTW, and I can't wait to see the twin 67's in action. You are very lucky to live close to Dynosty, as they are a great group to work with.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 08-18-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:03 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Yes, I do plan on buiding a PS reservoir this winter and a few other things. .
*Patiently awaits*
Old 08-18-2011, 03:53 PM
binder

Also, on top of that sasha i'm pretty sure injected didn't start selling them on their website for a few months after i saw their first one built which means i emailed you about making one for me before they started selling them on the site. Then of course when I saw the price for them on the site wasn't what i was expecting i really wanted to have a cheaper one built
Old 08-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

i loled at the dynosty knock off idea, for f*cks sakes guys, its a catch can. They are really simple and pretty universal for all cars.
I hope you guys also know honda guys use modified soda cans (which is actually kinda cool)
Old 08-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, the ITB set-up is pretty sick!

ti76fo8y938ftuioujkhvgcfdrteyrtuy8oujihugyft6t7891082-ipoihugiyiokjugiohug

sorry, i had to wipe the jizz off my keyboard.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 AM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
which was built off of the design of a catch can that already exists. 180$ for a catch can system is pretty expensive. They had the first prototype built for a customer when i was there a year ago and i was talking to greg about it when we looked at the ITB engine. He said that the catch can would "easily be under 100$" so i was very excited about it. When they released it at 180$ i decided it wasn't for me. The summit racing catch can that my friends with domestics use was 40$. It doesn't have the mounting tabs on it but for 40$ i can make my own tabs.

I'm not sure what expensive is to you but 4 times the cost of what another company makes is quite expensive for me. And ya, i know the argument that other companies make them custom for our cars and they are double that price. The thing i have to say to that is the consumer is just wanting to waste money. 30$ in materials and 2 hours in time.
This is so true.... Can't justify making others pockets fat if I can improvise n make my own $hit...

Last edited by 350zion; 08-22-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:23 AM
binder

i just got my stainless one from sasha. It's so beautiful.

mine is slightly different than the one he sells. I have some different plans for it with a recirculating system instead of just filter.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 AM
suprasam

^^^Oh interesting! Willing to share??
Old 08-22-2011, 07:45 AM
binder

Originally Posted by suprasam
^^^Oh interesting! Willing to share??
ya, probably later this week. I'm getting ready to head home to visit my parents. I'm finally on break for 2 weeks from grad school.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 AM
suprasam

^^Sounds good! Can't wait. Enjoy your break!

Quick Reply: Any interest in a SS catch can?