Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

I'm done with this $hit..

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:26 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

it seems for the most part people pushing past 550hp(there are some exceptions of course) have spun bearings thats what makes me think they are trying to use stock clearance bearings. the heat beyond that power level is just too much and closes the clearance so much that the bearing catchs and spins. im seriously considering just building the engine myself even if it costs a little bit more. or having the shop send me proof they are using larger oil clearance bearings.
Originally Posted by midz350
Choose any engine builder you want and I'll put money that his built VQ35 engine won't last 10k miles with me, Cass or Alberto.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spun bearings is a common issue - on any engine that wasn't built properly, or blueprinted for a specific purpose. If you didn't get the blueprint, or your machinist doesn't have it on file for you, you don't have a built motor. You've got a motor with a bunch of stuff in it. Doesn't matter if it's a Nissan engine, a Mitsubishi engine, a Porsche engine. Any engine not properly clearanced and not properly put together is a grenade with an intedermined fuse length. It has everything to do with who puts it together, and very little to do with X piston instead of Y, or A brand of rods instead of B, or Bearing manufacturer ZZ vs bearing manufacturer RR. People spend all their time obsessing over one individual component vs another, yet they don't dedicate even a fraction of that time into deciding who will put all the pieces of the puzzle together. All too often they go for the lowest common denominator, and make the decision on price alone. It has the potential to be a really expensive recipe for disaster. There is a difference between an assembled engine and a truly built engine. Unfortunately some people have had to find out the hard way, multiple times. That being said, no engine builder is immune to a hiccup every once in a while. No engine builder can say they have never had a failure. Even at the highest echelons of motorsport, where budgets are virtually unlimited and people have decades of trained staff to do a build, a catastrophy can happen. An engine is, afterall, a machine, and it's highly user-dependant. Few builders can take responsibility for user neglect, no matter what form it may take. Unfortunately in the aftermarket tuning community, it seems to happen with a decent amount of regularity. One of the risks you take when building a car to a certain level is the risk that something will go wrong. You can't take for granted if something doesn't go wrong. Count your blessings. You have to be prepared to accept it when it happens, and expect it to happen. But I do feel bad for guys who in a few thousand miles have had to shell out for multiple engine builds, be it this, or any other platform. That tells you something is amiss in the building process. Unfortunately it gets to be an expensive lesson to learn that some places are better than others.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
no clue, but i wouldnt doubt it.. I would hope that the Vendor who told/sold them to me would of known and done the right thing and told me...
As I recall, at a certain point, they were rebadged. Don't quote me on it, I could be mistaken. However, keep in mind ACL makes various grades of bearings, there isn't just 1 type.

This is one of those instances where a real machinist becomes invaluable.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-11-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Kuwait350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear that man; good luck in whatever next step you decide...
4000 for the kit seems to me little low when considering shipping cost and efforts?
wishing for you the best...
Old 07-11-2011, 05:01 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Spun bearings is a common issue - on any engine that wasn't built properly, or blueprinted for a specific purpose. If you didn't get the blueprint, or your machinist doesn't have it on file for you, you don't have a built motor. You've got a motor with a bunch of stuff in it. Doesn't matter if it's a Nissan engine, a Mitsubishi engine, a Porsche engine. Any engine not properly clearanced and not properly put together is a grenade with an intedermined fuse length. It has everything to do with who puts it together, and very little to do with X piston instead of Y, or A brand of rods instead of B, or Bearing manufacturer ZZ vs bearing manufacturer RR. People spend all their time obsessing over one individual component vs another, yet they don't dedicate even a fraction of that time into deciding who will put all the pieces of the puzzle together. All too often they go for the lowest common denominator, and make the decision on price alone. It has the potential to be a really expensive recipe for disaster. There is a difference between an assembled engine and a truly built engine. Unfortunately some people have had to find out the hard way, multiple times. That being said, no engine builder is immune to a hiccup every once in a while. No engine builder can say they have never had a failure. Even at the highest echelons of motorsport, where budgets are virtually unlimited and people have decades of trained staff to do a build, a catastrophy can happen. An engine is, afterall, a machine, and it's highly user-dependant. Few builders can take responsibility for user neglect, no matter what form it may take. Unfortunately in the aftermarket tuning community, it seems to happen with a decent amount of regularity. One of the risks you take when building a car to a certain level is the risk that something will go wrong. You can't take for granted if something doesn't go wrong. Count your blessings. You have to be prepared to accept it when it happens, and expect it to happen. But I do feel bad for guys who in a few thousand miles have had to shell out for multiple engine builds, be it this, or any other platform. That tells you something is amiss in the building process. Unfortunately it gets to be an expensive lesson to learn that some places are better than others.

And thats it in a nutshell folks lol.

Couldn't agree more Adam. At the end of the day you have to realize you are dealing with some VERY tight tolerances and these components are being subjected to some extreme conditions. Just because you buy the "best" doesn't mean **** without the correct measurements and checks being followed.

OP: Hopefully you will resolve your issues. If you choose to keep the car i would HIGHLY suggest you maybe start tinkering with building a engine on the side yourself and learning how to do some of the work yourself. That way at the end of the day the blame can only fall back on one person, you lol.

Last edited by chris'smax; 07-11-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:47 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by chris'smax
And thats it in a nutshell folks lol.

Couldn't agree more Adam. At the end of the day you have to realize you are dealing with some VERY tight tolerances and these components are being subjected to some extreme conditions. Just because you buy the "best" doesn't mean **** without the correct measurements and checks being followed.

OP: Hopefully you will resolve your issues. If you choose to keep the car i would HIGHLY suggest you maybe start tinkering with building a engine on the side yourself and learning how to do some of the work yourself. That way at the end of the day the blame can only fall back on one person, you lol.
Hi Chris....

Yes I too agree with Adam .... And it's so true about high end builders... I have seen 60k Porsche motors blow up on an engine dyno and all the mechanic could do is ...

It happens at all levels... But usually won't happen by the same mechanic on the following rebuild because everyone involved will watch their azz the next time around.... But in Cass case all I can do is ... His second motor should have lasted forever So I felt Chris chose the wrong mechanic/s to do his build.... 3 or 4 times is just BS.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Choose any engine builder you want and I'll put money that his built VQ35 engine won't last 10k miles with me, Cass or Alberto.
Ill take that bet any day of the week. I don't know albertos story because it was before my time but cass chose the same builders over and over again. What about you? Did the same builder put this motor together 3 times?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by XKR
Hi Chris....

Yes I too agree with Adam .... And it's so true about high end builders... I have seen 60k Porsche motors blow up on an engine dyno and all the mechanic could do is ...

It happens at all levels... But usually won't happen by the same mechanic on the following rebuild because everyone involved will watch their azz the next time around.... But in Cass case all I can do is ... His second motor should have lasted forever So I felt Chris chose the wrong mechanic/s to do his build.... 3 or 4 times is just BS.
What's up Mike! You still have the G?

I agree there can be exceptions where you just flat out have bad luck, but most of the time problems point back to assembly and tune.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:44 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Ill take that bet any day of the week. I don't know albertos story because it was before my time but cass chose the same builders over and over again. What about you? Did the same builder put this motor together 3 times?
For me, 2 engine builders and 2 engine failures.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Goo$e
Banned

Are the engine builders going to at least cover their work or did they just say "sorry bro" like it seems like most companies are doing this to their customers. Fawking sucks.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
midz350

Show me an engine builder in this forum that once said that an engine failure was his fault and covered his work.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:25 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol well u wont find that thread. Big vendors on this forum pay extra to make sure threads like that dont exist and if they appeared somehow they were deleted
Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 PM
midz350

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
lol well u wont find that thread. Big vendors on this forum pay extra to make sure threads like that dont exist and if they appeared somehow they were deleted

Exactly, They will pay to cover their asses but won't pay to cover their work.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Too many people spend the money and research on parts and not the actual assembly/builder.
I get the feeling the fact OP is out of the US has something to do with shoddy work... and no I'm not one of those 'america is better than everyone else' kinds of people.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:17 AM
ashtrojan2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how long you got to listen to the clicking.. Were there any vibrations? You said you just left the exhaust shop... Sure it wasn't an exhaust leak? Because they also say click click click

It sure would be nice to be something that simple. Keep us updated.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So you tryed different engines and builders? Wow I can understand your frustration.
Good luck with whatever you plan to do.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 AM
marra23

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Too many people spend the money and research on parts and not the actual assembly/builder.
I get the feeling the fact OP is out of the US has something to do with shoddy work... and no I'm not one of those 'america is better than everyone else' kinds of people.
I don't get this post. You're not saying USA is better but implying the rest is worse

Good luck OP
Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Show me an engine builder in this forum that once said that an engine failure was his fault and covered his work.
I did have my built 5AT fail in 2 weeks of first delivery back in 2007 (I checked ATF and it was more than 2 qts low) and I believe Sam did a full rebuild at his cost and FP covered round trip shipping. GTM could've pointed at FP and visa versa but they didn't give me the run around and just handled it no questions asked and no money out of pocket for me (built trans cost > $4k). That was before they parted ways though. It's harder to manage issues the farther away you live from your builder. Ideal situation is being local to a reputable shop.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:03 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Sorry to her about the bad news, I haven't had as many setback but have been close to that going back to stock point, it really makes you gun shy to do it again

As I recall, at a certain point, they were rebadged. Don't quote me on it, I could be mistaken. However, keep in mind ACL makes various grades of bearings, there isn't just 1 type.

This is one of those instances where a real machinist becomes invaluable.
I know I left it to my machinist to figure out the size bearing to use, and didn't purchase those separately. He used coated ACL bearings and no issues.

I agree in that the machinist is the most crucial part of the process, anyone can follow a manual and put an engine together but the machinist part needs an artist that will balance the **** out of the engine as well as get all of the clearances, bearings and piston/wall clearances, perfect.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We destroy VQ's

For the record, I had stock Nissan bearings and ACL's fail. I had Frank Hill do an assembly and had Justice Racing do assemblies. Justice builds race engines for a living and has several boosted VQs running around the Mid-A without issue. Frank has a similar track record as well. Every engine that was assembled @ Justice came with a full spec sheet of weights and tollerences.

When my last motor failed I was monitoring temps and pressures and had just spent $1K on a custom dual oil cooler setup and the pressure just crept lower and lower until I parked it and pulled the oil to see the flakes.

I agree that most failures seem to occur as the whp approaches 600+.

THIS!!!

People that haven't experienced failures or don't have built F/I setups that offer advice or tell me what I should have done can just STFU. Build something, drop $15-20K into a project and then throw it all in the trash and come back and let someone running bolt-ons tell you what you should have done differently... see how that feels.

Spend months building relationships with a shop and then burn that bridge when you blame the fail on them and try and show your face at the local meets where the shop is supported. Call them out in a thread and feel how awesome it is to rag on someone who most likely gave you a huge smile on your face when the car started for the first time or just rolls off the dyno.

Just some random thoughts I have on this subject.

Quick Reply: I'm done with this $hit..