Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

I'm done with this $hit..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the first summer since 2003 that I wont even drive my car. OP good luck with whatever you decide. Sad to see peoples passions turn so sour.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:37 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its really not even an artform its simple math, multiply the diameter of bearing surface by the min constant and the max constant and you get the range. The more power you make the higher the heat and the closer to max you want. sure its going to be a little noisy until the engine warms up but as long as you just let the engine warm up before driving(which how many people actually do that) its fine and the noise goes away thats normal with loose clearances. Typically want to go a little closer to max for being turbo or supercharged as well since your IAT is already higher.(for instance a 900 hp na engine can run tighter clearances then a 900 hp turbo motor.) Order is na can be run tightest, the nitrous, and supercharger/turbo tie for needing the loosest clearances. Really the only thing thats an actual artform is porting and polishing stuff be it heads, intakes, exhaust manifold or anything else. thats an artform
Originally Posted by westpak
Sorry to her about the bad news, I haven't had as many setback but have been close to that going back to stock point, it really makes you gun shy to do it again

I know I left it to my machinist to figure out the size bearing to use, and didn't purchase those separately. He used coated ACL bearings and no issues.

I agree in that the machinist is the most crucial part of the process, anyone can follow a manual and put an engine together but the machinist part needs an artist that will balance the **** out of the engine as well as get all of the clearances, bearings and piston/wall clearances, perfect.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:37 AM
kramykram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say part it out, and go with with the 2jz. beleive me thats the route im looking to go when im ready. toyota motor is ready to hold 600hp stock. can't beat that. might way a little more but thats ok just turn the boost up to make up for it. =D
Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not an enviable position to be in at all. At the end of the day not everyone is cut out to build, own, or maintain a project like these cars become. It requires a lot of patience, a lot of money, a lot of time, and back up transportation.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:45 AM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jus wanna say sorry to hear about the issues at hand..

Thank you tho guys for chiming in, I'm at a crossroads with my car whether or not to pull an LS swap or build the VQ. At this point I think ill jus stick with wat I got.. I don't need the headaches...

Good luck all in your future endeavors!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:45 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by jerryd87
Its really not even an artform its simple math, multiply the diameter of bearing surface by the min constant and the max constant and you get the range. The more power you make the higher the heat and the closer to max you want. sure its going to be a little noisy until the engine warms up but as long as you just let the engine warm up before driving(which how many people actually do that) its fine and the noise goes away thats normal with loose clearances. Typically want to go a little closer to max for being turbo or supercharged as well since your IAT is already higher.(for instance a 900 hp na engine can run tighter clearances then a 900 hp turbo motor.) Order is na can be run tightest, the nitrous, and supercharger/turbo tie for needing the loosest clearances. Really the only thing thats an actual artform is porting and polishing stuff be it heads, intakes, exhaust manifold or anything else. thats an artform
It is not just simple math that is the end result, but the machinist has to be able to understand what your end goals are and based on his knowledge make a good decision on what clearances to go with, it is not just clearances A for stock and B for built

someone has to make that decision with the math you explained
Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you, engine failure was always on my mind....and I used a great tuner. Due to the small number of builds in the VQ land there just aren't many sample sets for what goes wrong yet..possible engine failure was one reason I sold (not that it was gonna blow, but always paranoid)

And lets face it, when you are regularly touching 4 figure bhp numbers on a 3.5L motor with open deck design, something is eventually going to give, regardless of builder.

I was happy to have put almost 20k miles on my built setup before I sold.

Tom
Old 07-12-2011, 09:20 AM
jerryd87

Im unsure of acl but both federal mogul and clevite give very detailed instructions with there bearings that would let even a diy'er set there clearances with zero issue i know as ive done it. to my knowledge that engine is still running beautifully even though its a supercharged 9.5:1 compression iron block iron head beast running 105 octane. it really is just simple math ive yet to encounter any shop that dosnt ask you what setup and what power your looking for. its simple lazyness, incompetence, or trying to make more money off the customer, well even mayby a combination of the above. as far as open deck design the ecotech from gm is open deck and they have up to 900 hp road race setups on the stock block with darton sleeves. like i said theres nothing magical about the engine that makes it fail more its 100% the builder.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by chris'smax
What's up Mike! You still have the G?

I agree there can be exceptions where you just flat out have bad luck, but most of the time problems point back to assembly and tune.
Still have the G Chris...

I think luck has a little to do with it when running hi HP
Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by thom000001

I was happy to have put almost 20k miles on my built setup before I sold.

Tom
Have I been gone that long?? Did not know you were selling or sold your car
Old 07-12-2011, 12:56 PM
thom000001

Mike I sold it in Sept last year lol....where you been.....HA

Tom

Originally Posted by XKR
Have I been gone that long?? Did not know you were selling or sold your car
Old 07-12-2011, 01:33 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

go LS don't gooooo
Old 07-12-2011, 02:04 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Update:

We started the car in the shop, the sound is still there except the engine run smoothly!!!

I remember when one of the main bearings spun, the car didn't run this smooth!! it was like its grinding it self

We suspect its a rod bearing. Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:22 PM
thom000001

Spun a rod bearing on a Z31 I had back in the day....sounded like a squeak almost that changed with RPM (of course) but engine ran smooth as silk.

Tom

Originally Posted by midz350
Update:

We started the car in the shop, the sound is still there except the engine run smoothly!!!

I remember when one of the main bearings spun, the car didn't run this smooth!! it was like its grinding it self

We suspect its a rod bearing. Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
djamps

Check the oil, you will know for sure then.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For anyone interested, the latest issue of D Sport Magazine has a great supplement on engine building. It's a separate 60 odd page addition to the magazine. Some very useful info, practical info, and technical info that anyone building an engine or buying a built engine will benefit from
Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Dragonbreath

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
For anyone interested, the latest issue of D Sport Magazine has a great supplement on engine building. It's a separate 60 odd page addition to the magazine. Some very useful info, practical info, and technical info that anyone building an engine or buying a built engine will benefit from
I just bought it the other day. Definitely a great read. I would honestly suggest it to anyone who looks into building a motor. It covers a whole lot of stuff.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My old thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...-hr-bulid.html

So, picked up the car yesterday from the shop (after getting the exhaust manifolds welded), ~500miles on the new engine, everything was okay. 30miles later I hear this click..click..click..click

Now the engine makes a loud clicking sound, the car idles with the sound and as I rev the car the sound speeds. I don't know what it is, might be a main bearing, rod bearing or even a piston... I just know this:

I DON'T CARE ANYMORE.

I'm done with this stupid VQ, everything going back to stock. I'm really considering selling the car after that and going with a different platform.

Fwck the VQ and fwck my luck.
when I see posts like this, I feel fortunate. sure I ate up a motor, but it was due to too much boost and a build that was a bit premature -> the right parts weren't yet available.... even then, my car was still drivable.

that said, if this motor goes, I 'may' go the LS V8 route.

sorry to hear about your issues, and I completely understand your frustrations.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:17 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ace32x
not great but not bad either if ur looking to get outa easy money i guess

Tell that to the guy who just offered me $4000 for:

1-GTM HR 350Z TT STG2
2-GTM SPEC 3" downpipes
3-Haltech haltech platinum 350z pnp EMS with IP Wiring Harness 4-Modification for HR (HR plug and play)
5-IP Boost Control Kit
6-AEM Wideband Uego Controller
7-DSD SLM II Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure and EGT Gauges 60mm
8-GTM full return fuel system for HR
9-HKS Denso 1000cc Peak and Hold Injectors
10-IntensePower A-Pillar Triple Gauge Pod

Old 07-14-2011, 04:55 PM
ace32x

Tell that to the guy who just offered me $4000 for:

1-GTM HR 350Z TT STG2
2-GTM SPEC 3" downpipes
3-Haltech haltech platinum 350z pnp EMS with IP Wiring Harness 4-Modification for HR (HR plug and play)
5-IP Boost Control Kit
6-AEM Wideband Uego Controller
7-DSD SLM II Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure and EGT Gauges 60mm
8-GTM full return fuel system for HR
9-HKS Denso 1000cc Peak and Hold Injectors
10-IntensePower A-Pillar Triple Gauge Pod

in that case terrible deal

Quick Reply: I'm done with this $hit..