Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Momentum kit owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by dj lizard
btw what is wrong with the kenitex I guess it's the best plenum when it comes to FI. I have seen few cosworth plenum leak when boosted.
it's a single welded piece so no seals headache.
but you might know something that I don't so please enlighten me.
How did you determine it’s the best plenum for FI?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:50 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

IIQuickSilverII: yes I agree with the main Idea, but I was talking about an over all package.
but yeah that's true I wasn't even thinking about reliability when I bought the kit.
It was greddy TT's, or powerlab. the only thing that let me fall in love with this kit
is the over all quality and the turbo housing.

btw what is wrong with the kenitex I guess it's the best plenum when it comes to FI.
I have seen few cosworth plenum leak when boosted.
it's a single welded piece so no seals headache.
but you might know something that I don't so please enlighten me.
just a spacer and you are good, same, if not better, perfromance
kinetix...seen them crack...not designed/optimized for FI
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Spacer does nothing for FI -- I tried it myself.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 PM
dj lizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the 5/16 spacer is better power wise. but the thing that I was concerned about is
boost leakage. and a single piece plenum solves it.
If not, then I back to to a spacer or cosworth. It's always is trial and error.
plus Z1 motor sport did it so I guess it's not too bad after all.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
Spacer does nothing for FI -- I tried it myself.
That's debatable; IE depending on the application, turbo vs. sc, etc.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:30 PM
thatv35guy

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I know the 5/16 spacer is better power wise. but the thing that I was concerned about is
boost leakage. and a single piece plenum solves it.
I’ve personally know 7 people running turbo or superchargers on 350Z’s/G35’s with factory plenums with spacers and not a single one of us had issues with leaks… it’s not an issue AT ALL, IF the plenum is installed correctly. There’s absolutely nothing to be concerned about…
Old 07-12-2011, 02:33 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
That's debatable; IE depending on the application, turbo vs. sc, etc.
OK then for turbos it does nothing. For SC I have no clue.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:39 PM
turbociv910

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stay on topic
Old 07-12-2011, 06:32 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by turbociv910
stay on topic
910? Carolina?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:46 AM
thePunkville

the kit is the same as powerlab minus the ems... fitment may be a little better... but vs the price, i bought my used powerlab for 4000$ and installed myself plus my uprev tune and im still not even close to that momentum tuner kit :/

same performance + cost effective..
Old 07-13-2011, 02:45 AM
dj lizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why is everyone debating and comparing. The topic was clear momentum kit owners.
I'm looking for feedback about the kit. I know that PL is a good FI kit.
I wanted to be a lil deferent thats it.
price wise this kit will save me money is the long run compared to your used PL.
keep in mine the life cycle of the turbo, lines, etc.
bottom line: don't hate on it cuz in the end it's a better version of the older ST's.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:03 AM
UMW350Z

After have the PL kit for 3 years, 2 of them as 'dialed in' years at 9psi, the kit has held up well. I the srt8's answer is right, we put focus on the KIT reliability, but really it is the motor. The only issue with the kit is slight rubbing and a couple weak welds that cracked on the dump tube FWIW.

I bet the Momentum would blow hot air just like the PL kit with a built motor about 1 bar, something tells me there is a limit we ST owners seem to have found with HP potential. I was thinking of a built motor, but if I'm going to have to buy all sorts of safety and supplemental equipment to reach not even 500 whp (meth, race gas/E85, N02), it's not worth the coin for the motor.

I'm not a proponent of ST's anymore on Z's because of the HP ceiling, I've told everyone who looks at my car to go GReddy and avoid the ST's since you will want more power one day and will shy away since you now need a new TT kit to get you to silly HP levels. Race gas and meth are not the way to go when you can do it on pump.

One question - what do you mean by power difference? Either way, TN, PL and M should all get you to the same POWER level, maybe the curve is different?

The funny thing is, those who still say 'naaww I'm going single' don't want to pay the extra Kroners for a motor drop and extra turbo $ difference. I hope they enjoy 375 whp forever...which is what they do all day long, at least they do that well.

Last edited by UMW350Z; 07-13-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 AM
Ruthless18x

Liz, so are there any a/c line issues with the routing of this kit? Do you track your car?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 AM
George@momentum

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
After have the PL kit for 3 years, 2 of them as 'dialed in' years at 9psi, the kit has held up well. I the srt8's answer is right, we put focus on the KIT reliability, but really it is the motor. The only issue with the kit is slight rubbing and a couple weak welds that cracked on the dump tube FWIW.

I bet the Momentum would blow hot air just like the PL kit with a built motor about 1 bar, something tells me there is a limit we ST owners seem to have found with HP potential. I was thinking of a built motor, but if I'm going to have to buy all sorts of safety and supplemental equipment to reach not even 500 whp (meth, race gas/E85, N02), it's not worth the coin for the motor.

I'm not a proponent of ST's anymore on Z's because of the HP ceiling, I've told everyone who looks at my car to go GReddy and avoid the ST's since you will want more power one day and will shy away since you now need a new TT kit to get you to silly HP levels. Race gas and meth are not the way to go when you can do it on pump.

One question - what do you mean by power difference? Either way, TN, PL and M should all get you to the same POWER level, maybe the curve is different?

The funny thing is, those who still say 'naaww I'm going single' don't want to pay the extra Kroners for a motor drop and extra turbo $ difference. I hope they enjoy 375 whp forever...which is what they do all day long, at least they do that well.
Although it may surprise you, we actually make more power on less boost than the Greddy Twin Turbo kit. We made a video of a customer (who is on this site) who went from twins to the Momentum Single.

http://www.momentumperformance.com/m...lation__S__R/4

On top of that, on a number of our test cars, as well as my personal vehicle, we are making 550-600whp at 14-16psi. No modifications to the kit at all. Here is just one of many dyno sheets from such vehicles.

We also have turbo upgrade kits which eliminate any HP potential debate. We have the GT3794r kit which is capable of 800whp. We pride ourselves on quality and service. Everyone that is a part of Momentum believes in the brand and stands 100% behind the products. I hope that those who have experienced our products realize the thought we put into each aspect of every part.

Last edited by George@momentum; 07-13-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 AM
rbsileighty

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Just sayin... dont get too caught up in "reliability" of a turbo kit when that is never an issue to begin with. Buy the Momentum kit becuase of the superior Tial housing, the meticulous detail in install instructions, the fitment, etc.
...but isn't the tune part of the "turbo kit?" I have a lot of friends with RB 240's (my background) that have blown motors with good/great hardware just because the tune was bad/to aggressive... as far as tuning goes, there are a lot of ways to make 400hp, even with the same hardware/ems

the kit is the same as powerlab minus the ems... fitment may be a little better... but vs the price, i bought my used powerlab for 4000$ and installed myself plus my uprev tune and im still not even close to that momentum tuner kit :/

same performance + cost effective..
Wastegate placement is def another benefit to the Momentum Kit... good diagram for the theory http://www.stevericeracing.com/wastegate_placement.htm, PL having it gated on one bank isn't really efficient either...

Last edited by rbsileighty; 07-13-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Ruthless18x

Originally Posted by rbsileighty
...but isn't the tune part of the "turbo kit?" I have a lot of friends with RB 240's (my background) that have blown motors with good/great hardware just because the tune was bad/to aggressive... as far as tuning goes, there are a lot of ways to make 400hp, even with the same hardware/ems
You missed his point, he was reffering to the kit hardware, IE piping, turbos, etc. The tune or software can vary exponentially, but all kits are designed to do virtually the same thing.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 AM
rbsileighty

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
You missed his point, he was reffering to the kit hardware, IE piping, turbos, etc. The tune or software can vary exponentially, but all kits are designed to do virtually the same thing.
Sure, but I think you're missing mine... it's looking like as a turn-key package, tune included since it can make or break a kit regardless of hardware, the Momentum turbo kit is very reliable.

You've had that power level for a while haven't you George? If you have some time at that power level that should reveal some hardware issues if there are any... esp as a DD

Last edited by rbsileighty; 07-13-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Perhaps I'm missing something....but if the upRev tune is just a flash.....then it doesn't include tuning adjustments to compensate for different intakes and exhausts, right?

Last edited by eZg; 07-13-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Ruthless18x

Originally Posted by rbsileighty
Sure, but I think you're missing mine... it's looking like as a turn-key package, tune included since it can make or break a kit regardless of hardware, the Momentum turbo kit is very reliable.
It's still a cookie cutter tune, regardless. It will work for some drivers who stay within the parameters the tune was designed for. The same can be said about every other pre-packaged tune. Granted this one may be the best yet, you can still blow a motor on it.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 AM
str8dum1

Is that on pump gas? nice curve though seems pretty laggy for a gt35.

Originally Posted by George@momentum
Although it may surprise you, we actually make more power on less boost than the Greddy Twin Turbo kit. We made a video of a customer (who is on this site) who went from twins to the Momentum Single.

http://www.momentumperformance.com/m...lation__S__R/4

On top of that, on a number of our test cars, as well as my personal vehicle, we are making 550-600whp at 14-16psi. No modifications to the kit at all. Here is just one of many dyno sheets from such vehicles.

We also have turbo upgrade kits which eliminate any HP potential debate. We have the GT3794r kit which is capable of 800whp. We pride ourselves on quality and service. Everyone that is a part of Momentum believes in the brand and stands 100% behind the products. I hope that those who have experienced our products realize the thought we put into each aspect of every part.

Last edited by str8dum1; 07-13-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Momentum kit owners