Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Momentum kit owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 PM
ace32x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robs_350Z
Momentum kits making 500+whp on built motors seems pretty impressive to me. I mean the GT35 is not by any means a big turbo, at least not for a 3.5L engine. That being said why does everyone compare twin kits pushing large turbos to single turbo kits? Numbers wise...

Good example.... Wongy's G35 made 718whp twin 67mm turbos on 93 octane. Granted it's a 4.2L stroker which helps midrange and spool. Bottom line is it's using two GT35 size turbos to make the power the single kits are being criticized for not making. I think a better comparison would be to look at Hal's GT42 82mm turbo. His 750+whp may not be at the top of the hp list on my350z but somehow his car beat SP's 1000+whp shop car in the 1/4 mile.

Me personally, I don't know what to do for a turbo kit. I've been biting my time with cosmetic things, suspension, and motorcycles. I've always been a fan of Sound Performance's setup keeping the turbos out of the engine bay but also love the show and go of the PL and Momentum kits. Not to mention simplicity, only one turbo, half the potential problems.

Guys I think we're all a little to obsessed with peak numbers and getting burned by someone who pulle on you. Since when did 500-600whp become a disappointment?
since people can tt stock block hrs and make that im assuming lol XD
Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 PM
ITOzann

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol
Old 07-21-2011, 04:06 PM
zmedic16

i wouldnt brag too much about tt hr's. they seem to pop left and right just at 500whp.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 PM
f150intally

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmedic16
i wouldnt brag too much about tt hr's. they seem to pop left and right just at 500whp.
I haven't seen this as the common consensus. Can you post examples?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 PM
zmedic16

Originally Posted by f150intally
I haven't seen this as the common consensus. Can you post examples?
search blown hr........
Old 07-22-2011, 06:26 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

oops wrong thread

Last edited by eZg; 07-22-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:12 PM
CTZ860

Does Momentum make a ST kit f/the HR yet?
Looking at a few sites it doesn't say which engine the kits are for....assuming most are for DE.
Then again maybe I'm not looking hard enough :/
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by CTZ860
Does Momentum make a ST kit f/the HR yet?
Looking at a few sites it doesn't say which engine the kits are for....assuming most are for DE.
Then again maybe I'm not looking hard enough :/
no one makes a st kit for the HR, would bea mess of piping
Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 AM
chovden

Just installed mine on last friday and I have to say i was realy impressed with the quality of everything, from packing to the manual to parts, I did it in about 12 hours minus the eletrics as I instaled the fuel uppgrades the day before, I got the tuner kit as I like to do my own tuning and run a haltech from earlier.

The space is tight and I sepent a lot of time to do the exhaust parts rigt and to get everything lined and not to close to bodywork, frame etc.
Other then that it was a pretty streight forward install and a realy good manual so almost everybody with some tools can do it.

Driving, it is very nice, I am just using the wastegate spring now so boost is a little slowe in the low gear, but from 4-6 it makes 8Psi at 2700Rpm acording to the haltech logger.
It feels very smooth and little lag when changing gear.
So next is a boost controller and when I get back from a trip aborad I will get it on a dynapack for a final tune as it is very rich now and a bit low on timing and se if I improved on the earlier 237Whp.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 PM
ZSUNSUN

Dropping off my Z this Thursday or Friday for my Turbo upgrad. Fianlly I will get what I wanted on my Z
Will be building Short Block Stage 1 by SMM and Momentum turbo will be installed. When I get my result will post later. Hope to see good figure!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Raceism

It seems like a very good kit but momentum said they have only tested the kit with their own momentum headers and OEM headers. I have a set of nismo headers on my car right now..wondering if I can just use my nismo headers...would hate to put the stock headers back on or spend more money on new set of momentum headers.

Any takes on this??
Old 08-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceism
It seems like a very good kit but momentum said they have only tested the kit with their own momentum headers and OEM headers. I have a set of nismo headers on my car right now..wondering if I can just use my nismo headers...would hate to put the stock headers back on or spend more money on new set of momentum headers.

Any takes on this??
Any aftermarket peformance header is going to be a substantial increase over the oem restrictive headers. One may perform a little better than the other, but all will outperform stock significantly. I wish we had a head-to-head comparison of different ones, but I think you will have a difficult time finding that considering how involved it is swapping them.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Raceism

Originally Posted by Hal@Dynosty
Any aftermarket peformance header is going to be a substantial increase over the oem restrictive headers. One may perform a little better than the other, but all will outperform stock significantly. I wish we had a head-to-head comparison of different ones, but I think you will have a difficult time finding that considering how involved it is swapping them.
Thanks for your input. I'm not looking to swapping out the headers. Just wanted to make sure nismo headers would be okay with this kit.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Taylor@Momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

By comparing the looks of the two, they LOOK like they wont be a problem, but thats just speculation. A true test would be needed to verify.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Raceism

Originally Posted by Taylor@Momentum
By comparing the looks of the two, they LOOK like they wont be a problem, but thats just speculation. A true test would be needed to verify.

hahaha maybe I'll be the first one to try and post the result!
Old 08-10-2011, 03:54 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

im told that the stock HR manifolds are pretty good when used in an FI application.. any truth or rumor to this?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal@Dynosty
This is what I tell my customers when they ask for header advice.

Hal knows first hand with back to back dynos to prove this.

Originally Posted by bmccann101
im told that the stock HR manifolds are pretty good when used in an FI application.. any truth or rumor to this?

From what I have seen the HR headers are a much better design, and do have a larger diameter collectors. Keep in mind that the HR headers have a different 3 bolt flange than your OEM 03-06 headers. You would not be able to bolt up any ST kit to a DE engine with HR headers.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 08-10-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Infinite1

I have a question for anybody who can answer...Has anybody with this kit experienced "hot-start" issues with this kit? I've heard of "hot-start" issues mostly by folks using the UTEC and 600cc injectors. When I spoke to Sam at GTM he mentioned that it's better to use 550cc injectors to alleviate this problem. Being that this kit uses 600cc's I wonder if this has been or would be an issue.

If anybody could share some insight it would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Taylor@Momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

No hot start issues on our test car when its up to running temperature.. I would assume the utec is the problem, not the injectors.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Hey Taylor, do you guys do intalls "in-house" or do you just distribute out of Wilmington? Any affiliation with National Speed?

Quick Reply: Momentum kit owners