Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Momentum kit owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Taylor@Momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are strictly a parts manufacturer and dealer direct distributor. We have no affiliation with National Speed.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 PM
350_captain

Alright, kinda a newb but what the hell. I went to a local performance shop in Lewisville, texas (imported performance) and Steven told me all about the momentum ST kit. He has it on his 350 on a fully built motor and it make 550 to the wheels. I was going to have him order it and put it on my 350 but i didnt have him do it because i was told by many other shops that our motors have a Compression of 11:1 and the rods are very weak and even at 8psi the rods would snap very quickly. Also the vavle springs would be crushed at such a stress. After reading this thread, it seems like nobody is having a problem with these things.. Is this true? I have 68K on the motor so is that why everyone is telling me the rods and valve springs will break soon? or did everyone put Eagle rods and brian cowers springs in their motors? Plus, he told me that it didnt come with Uprev tuning software and he was going to have to have another place do the tuning. Do the actual kits come with UpRev tuning? I want UpRev tuning on my 350 if i get a ST kit, but i dont want to get the momentum kit if they dont come with it.

Last edited by 350_captain; 08-15-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just by what they have told you, you should start running from that shop. do a quick search, upgraded springs on stock cams seems to have a habit of breaking cams and FI puts no extra stress on cams, why would it its not changing anything in the valvetrain. the stress put on the valvetrain comes from extra revs which results in valve float, aka the valves are moving so fast that the springs cannot close them all the way, thats the easiest way to explain it. rods on the DE give at about 450 hp stay around 350-400 and you will be fine another quick search will show you that. finally go directly to momentums website and it says right in the parts included it comes with uprev. like i said the shops only looking to rape you without lube and then send you on your way never to return, run and find a reputable shop.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:14 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
just by what they have told you, you should start running from that shop. do a quick search, upgraded springs on stock cams seems to have a habit of breaking cams
that was in 1 instance on a HR (with implications of inproper install), and no such cases on a DE

Originally Posted by jerryd87
finally go directly to momentums website and it says right in the parts included it comes with uprev. like i said the shops only looking to rape you without lube and then send you on your way never to return, run and find a reputable shop.
it comes with a pretuned reflash. If the dealer the OP wants to buy from is not an Uprev tuner, they cannot adjust the tune. So yes, the shop is correct. If the OP wants a custom dyno tune (any why wouldnt you??), it will need to go somewhere else to do it.

Last edited by str8dum1; 08-16-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Taylor@Momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Our tuner kits come without fuel management(pump, injectors, UpRev). Standard kits come with those items listed.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:37 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

there where other people listed in that thread that had problems though that dint have there own thread iirc. it just seems to me by his wording that the shop is telling him he HAS to buy them
Originally Posted by str8dum1
that was in 1 instance on a HR (with implications of inproper install), and no such cases on a DE

it comes with a pretuned reflash. If the dealer the OP wants to buy from is not an Uprev tuner, they cannot adjust the tune. So yes, the shop is correct. If the OP wants a custom dyno tune (any why wouldnt you??), it will need to go somewhere else to do it.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:17 AM
350_captain

okay so let me get this straight.
1. The rods should be fine even though they have 68k on them and they hold up to 450hp?
2. The standard kit comes with everything aka the injectors, fuel pump and Up-Rev. (which is what i want)
3. This shop isnt trying to rip me off? This shop didnt tell me that the rods will break. Cobb tuning told me they would break.
4. Valvesprings and cams arent really needed since they only deal with drivetrain and not the engine and its stress directly?
5. In accordance to 4, if i have this shop put the Momentum standard kit on my stock block, it should be fine? ( i emphasize *should) up till about 450hp?
6. (super newb question) how do i find a reputable performance shop in my area? if this one is not good (even though they sound good)
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 350_captain
1. The rods should be fine even though they have 68k on them and they hold up to 450hp?
2. The standard kit comes with everything aka the injectors, fuel pump and Up-Rev. (which is what i want)
3. This shop isnt trying to rip me off? This shop didnt tell me that the rods will break. Cobb tuning told me they would break.
4. Valvesprings and cams arent really needed since they only deal with drivetrain and not the engine and its stress directly?
5. In accordance to 4, if i have this shop put the Momentum standard kit on my stock block, it should be fine? ( i emphasize *should) up till about 450hp?
6. (super newb question) how do i find a reputable performance shop in my area? if this one is not good (even though they sound good)

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ng-thread.html
Old 08-17-2011, 02:59 AM
350_captain

I read the first thread when i first got on the site, thank you very much sir. With that said, none of the questions i asked were answered since this kit is new and that info is old. Nor is the rod question answered. It was skipped in that thread. And i believe this thread is about the Momentum kit so i believe questions for this are applicable. And thank you for the link to the second one. I had not looked at that yet. much obliged.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:05 AM
str8dum1

1. who knows. its a risk that you have to decide you wanna take. cars have broke at less, some at more.
2.the standard kit has all that
3. i think there was confusion in what they told you and what was perceieved
4. no reason to even touch the heads on a stock block build
5. no one is going to guarantee that. Start basing your expectations on wheel torque. Trq breaks rods. I would not go over 380ish ft-lbs. Whatever hp that corresponds to is where i'd stop.
6. you are just bolting on parts and using a prepackaged tune. nothing special or complicated about it. Any shop could do that.

Last edited by str8dum1; 08-17-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Taylor@Momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

Our tune we supply is only for standard boost, people are seeing 390-420whp(stock headers and with our headers, also with different dynos) To get around the 450whp mark, you will need to turn the boost up and have a custom tune applied.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:25 AM
350_captain

Hey Taylor, in accordance to what str8dum1 stated, what is the amount of torque that is being delivered with this kit. I know you said 390-420 hp, but what the range of torque?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Taylor@Momentum
Vendor - Former Vendor

A graph that I have shows 397 ftlbs and 410 whp
Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Infinite1

I see you're in Dallas...Go to Jotech they're one of the better shops out there...Don't waste your time with Imported Performance.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor@Momentum
We are strictly a parts manufacturer and dealer direct distributor. We have no affiliation with National Speed.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

if you are worried about blowing your engine by going FI then don't go FI. Boost on our engines is playing with fire so unless you are willing to gamble or can afford to build the motor when your engine fails...stay away. There is no such thing as playing it safe when boosting on our cars despite what anyone tells you.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:55 AM
Shizzmaster2k

Can aftermarket headers (I.E., crawford) be used with this kit similar to the turbonetics kit?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shizzmaster2k
Can aftermarket headers (I.E., crawford) be used with this kit similar to the turbonetics kit?
Yes, and this is a good idea if looking for 400+whp as the factory headers become extremely restrictive when trying to move that much air. I'm not certain about Crawford's fitment, but the Momentum headers fit and perform very well.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 AM
VQpwr03z

Originally Posted by Hal@Dynosty
Yes, and this is a good idea if looking for 400+whp as the factory headers become extremely restrictive when trying to move that much air. I'm not certain about Crawford's fitment, but the Momentum headers fit and perform very well.
Hopefully my headers will work with the kit (tomei v2). Will a aftermarket Y pipe work with the kit?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:06 AM
str8dum1

any headers that mount to the stock exhaust, will work.

Quick Reply: Momentum kit owners