Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Total D's 18G build......Finally!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Total D

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Thats awesome man! Glad to hear it, I have a lot of respect for guys that do.

I have the Greddy kit with the 13 row Trust core. So being it's a little smaller I can fit it outside the support. I should be starting on it in a week or two.
So do I. I just think there is more to it. Nice making power, but I want to see what it will do besides go straight. Preferably not into a ditch or wall haha.

Oh Ok, that is a bit smaller. Lucky you on being able to V-mount it. I thought about putting it in the drivers side, in front of the wheel Seems to have enough room and maybe get some more air. I'll see how this works and go from there.

Originally Posted by phunk
updated signature with new cell #!
Thanks, sent you a PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Total D

Well a small update: not a good one.

Finally broke the motor in (woot), well on top of that a turbo decide to break as well. No boost or anything. Driving at 70 cruising to work. Not acting like a JA or anything. I wouldn't be pissed if I was.

So with that said I'm left with a choice of either rebuilding or upgrading them. I am leaning on upgrading them but not sure the route to go. So if anyone has some advice I'm all ears.

Jeremiah
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Eno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn man... sorry to hear that. I was just looking you up to see how long you were going to let that HSF-6 sit in your room and if you were looking at selling. Now, not to try to steal your boots before your body even cools off- but if you need some extra cash then maybe we could work something out.

As for upgrade vs. repair... I think from my limited experience that if it happened to me I if one just bit it the other may not be far behind. Anyone take a look at a probable cause? Poor flow? Debris? Shaft issues?

If it were me, having had to deal with my share of other related issues, I'd just get new. As for what I'd upgrade to? Well again in my situation the turbos are plenty big and I would go with something of equal size- Probably do a .86 AR as opposed to the .64 I have now on my GT28s. If I was spending the money anyway... I'd probably at LEAST want to see something good come from it. A little more top end would do no harm. Then again, you might already be a .86 guy... in which case I got nothin for ya.

Keep us posted on what you find out?

Last edited by Eno; 11-09-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:48 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't remember if the Greddy's are BB or jounal bearing?

If BB the rebuild cost will be ~$1700 for the pair. If journal bearing its ~$800 for the pair. A place like Blouch can port the housings and change the wheel to make it close to 20G, but it isn't cheap.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 996 Likes on 756 Posts

Journal bearing, oil cooled.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Total D

Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Damn man... sorry to hear that. I was just looking you up to see how long you were going to let that HSF-6 sit in your room and if you were looking at selling. Now, not to try to steal your boots before your body even cools off- but if you need some extra cash then maybe we could work something out.

As for upgrade vs. repair... I think from my limited experience that if it happened to me I if one just bit it the other may not be far behind. Anyone take a look at a probable cause? Poor flow? Debris? Shaft issues?

If it were me, having had to deal with my share of other related issues, I'd just get new. As for what I'd upgrade to? Well again in my situation the turbos are plenty big and I would go with something of equal size- Probably do a .86 AR as opposed to the .64 I have now on my GT28s. If I was spending the money anyway... I'd probably at LEAST want to see something good come from it. A little more top end would do no harm. Then again, you might already be a .86 guy... in which case I got nothin for ya.

Keep us posted on what you find out?

The HSF-6 kit is a custom kit setup for my 2JZ, I was going to do. So, I was thinking of putting it on the Z. It is nowhere near a normal kit. I think, I am one of two people with a kit like this. So, not giving it up thanks for the offer though.

I am going to repair both, if I go that route. To cover myself and not have to worry about one popping again.

That is why I haven't just sent the turbos off. I am debating going a totally different route. Goal was 700+RWHP, but Im just a small fry here at work. I am lacking 300-700rwhp to be any competition haha. FML

Originally Posted by Cass007
Can't remember if the Greddy's are BB or jounal bearing?

If BB the rebuild cost will be ~$1700 for the pair. If journal bearing its ~$800 for the pair. A place like Blouch can port the housings and change the wheel to make it close to 20G, but it isn't cheap.
Cux350z nailed it. I talked to GReddy and the rebuild is like $650 each. I'll give Blouch a call and see what can be done. Thanks.

Last edited by Total D; 11-10-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Forced Performance. Unless their prices have gone up, I paid around $900 to have both my 18gs rebuilt after they were a few years old. They looked like new when they came back and no problems. Personally never known anyone to have trouble with their rebuilds... unlike 98% of other rebuilt turbos that I have seen fail within a week.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, how did it fail? like what symptoms did you have?

that's really weird to have a failure under normal driving conditions.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Total D

Originally Posted by phunk
Call Forced Performance. Unless their prices have gone up, I paid around $900 to have both my 18gs rebuilt after they were a few years old. They looked like new when they came back and no problems. Personally never known anyone to have trouble with their rebuilds... unlike 98% of other rebuilt turbos that I have seen fail within a week.
Thanks Charles. I'll give them a call and see what they can do for me.

Originally Posted by binder
wow, how did it fail? like what symptoms did you have?

that's really weird to have a failure under normal driving conditions.
I am thinking they were already gone when I bought the setup honestly. Reason I say that is, I never went into boost until I had around 900 miles and only brought boost up to 2-3 psi to have positive pressure here and there nothing crazy. As I was driving I heard a metallic pop in the drivers side and saw blue/white smoke come out. As soon as it sstarted smoking I turned the car off.

I finally started it this morning and no smoke and the engine sounds fine. But, there is no load there nor is it a full operating temp.

That is what I thought as well. I wasnt boosting at all when I heard the pop.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Total D

A little update....We started taking the kit off yesterday evening. We started taking the drivers turbo off first, since that is the side I was thinking was causing the problems...Check the turbo...um nothing wrong with the turbo!!!

So we go to the passenger side to start on that side. Get the turbo loose from the manifold and go to take it out. First have to get the pipe off the compressor cover. When we go to do this, there is a huge hole in the coupler. Coupler was basically against the manifold. So, it got to hot and just melted a hole . Check the turbo..guess what...nothing wrong with that one either!!!!

So now the full kit is off the car and I am debating what to do haha. I'll have some more info tomorrow night.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ya, i think that was a problem people had quite a while ago on these kits. True silicone couplers and some other mod fixed this.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bummer man. You can weld the first cast aluminum elbow to the turbo housing and eliminate the coupler.

I totally understand what you mean though. I've been working on mine for months and keep changing things up.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Total D

Originally Posted by binder
ya, i think that was a problem people had quite a while ago on these kits. True silicone couplers and some other mod fixed this.
Yea, i think I remember reading on this, not sure why I was stubborn about it.

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Bummer man. You can weld the first cast aluminum elbow to the turbo housing and eliminate the coupler.

I totally understand what you mean though. I've been working on mine for months and keep changing things up.
Yeea, I see that now haha. After the kit is off. It is a never ending cycle man. But, what else is ther to do to keep us sane haha.

Upon further investigation, I wne to let my AC out, nothing was there...odd. So we hooked the machine up to it to see what was going on. It wouldn't go into vacuum. So we started checkiing the lines. The low AC line melted and had a hole in it as well. Now that I llok back, there was alot of AC oil on the lower shroud, after I pulled over and killed the car. So between the coupler and the AC line popping, there was nothing wrong with the GReddy kit.

Tonite we got the Z running and it sounds mean!!! Hoping to have it on the dyno either Thursday or Friday of this coming week,so we will see.

Jeremiah

Last edited by Total D; 01-08-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 PM
dj lizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real awesome build but pleeeeeese either lose the hood or get a something else.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Total D

Haha, the hood doesn't look good with stock front bumper, I agree. I am changing a few things on the exterior of the car, so hopefully you'll be ok with what the outcome is.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:28 AM
XM 1

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

sounds like good news James....hope this time everything goes well
Old 01-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Total D

Originally Posted by XM 1
sounds like good news James....hope this time everything goes well
Thanks Jan!!! I'm hoping the same thing lol. How's your Z coming along?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:50 PM
XM 1

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

nothing major yet still waiting for better wheather....cause my garage is way to small to work on the car
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Total D

dang that sucks...Well hopefully soon things will clear uo and not be as cold.

We started the car last night, got all the loose ends buttoned up. Ready for dyno now. Nice 40F degree day for some turbo action. Just have to get someone elses car off the dyno.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds awesome man, good luck today.

Quick Reply: Total D's 18G build......Finally!!!!!!