Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Total D's 18G build......Finally!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:28 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

a twin setup will only need 1400cc x6 injectors worth of fuel so id2000's are overkill. I'm only 73% IDC with 1000cc injectors on a twin pump with 652hp. If you have a nice meth kit already I would just push that to the max. Won't need extra injector of fuel pump for that

so you think the gt37 will hit 800hp when a gt42 on this engine just barely broke 800?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Total D

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Jeff, My goal overall is 1000rwhp+. I wanted to see what the turbo would do on full kill just to push the momentum kit as far it could go. I owe this to George at National Speed. So after I get what I can out of this turbo, I'll be moving to a somewhat bigger setup. That's the reason I'm looking into more fuel. Now maybe I am still wrong in what I need, I'm just going off what I have done with many other builds.

I hope so , if not it should be very close. Then it's on to a bigger setup.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Total D
Jeff, My goal overall is 1000rwhp+. I wanted to see what the turbo would do on full kill just to push the momentum kit as far it could go. I owe this to George at National Speed. So after I get what I can out of this turbo, I'll be moving to a somewhat bigger setup. That's the reason I'm looking into more fuel. Now maybe I am still wrong in what I need, I'm just going off what I have done with many other builds.

I hope so , if not it should be very close. Then it's on to a bigger setup.
Awesome! intense posted up that 906hp on the gt37 and race gas but there was only 1 dyno and no follow up plus they claimed to have been on stock headers. Something about that just screams "doctored" dyno since other platforms with similar sized engines and our platform have never come close with the same turbo. The compressor map of that turbo just doesn't demonstrate enough flow to provide that on a 3.5L engine and other results don't show it as well.

I would like to see what an honest user would get full out on that turbo as well but I just don't see it being more than what the larger gt42 provides when maxed out. I think the gt42 will hit your 1000hp goal though.

How soon are you going to be ready to dyno the gt37?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Total D

I have the Momentum headers as well on my setup. I am all about unbias results, so I am looking forward to see what she does.

That is the problem with most shops, they "doctor" the dyno to help their number look good and sale product. The dyno I will be on will be a Dyno Comp, and I will do a dynojet pull as well later.

Right now I am just waiting on the body work and paint. From what they tell me, end of next week they will be done. I am pushing to have the meth and race gas tunes done shortly after I get the car back.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:34 PM
binder

I stand corrected. I just looked at their site. They only did 706hp with the gt37r. The 906hp was with a 76s turbo. I think they need to update their site on their "world records"

* 11.00 1/4 Mile at 129MPH at 21PSI on GT37R

* Quickest and Fastest G35 in the World

* Highest Horsepower Non-Sleeved 3.5L VQ35DE

* Highest Horsepower Production Single Turbo Kit (PowerLab)

* Highest Horsepower G35

Pretty sure there are g35's going quicker than 11.00 and I know for a fact that Jason (blackbird) went faster than 129mph in his g35. I'm pretty sure it was mid 130's. Also they can't really claim the 76s high hp number was from a "production kit" since they had to make a custom downpipe and custom piping to get it to fit on the car.

Not close to the highest hp g35. Mike (xkr) and Rich (str8) both are over 900hp. Mike was over 1000hp on a DJ. I'm not entirely sure but I think rich's car isn't sleeved as well.

I guess the lies help them look good and sell kits with smaller turbos while they people purchase them expect to hit numbers that aren't possible.

700hp out of a gt37 is pretty impressive. 11.0 1/4 mile with a gt37 pushing 700hp isn't though....LOL
Old 08-15-2012, 06:43 PM
binder

btw, do you still have the eagle rods in there? I have eagle rods as well and that is the weak point in my engine so I haven't been real excited about increasing my boost over the 650hp at 22psi.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Total D

I do still have the eagle rods as of right now. We will see how far and long they last. Not sure what I will use next.

When you say 706, do you mean to the wheels? I am not after any records or anything, just want to push this turbo and give an unbiased result, no "doctoring of the dyno". A lot of people have wanted to know what this kit would do, so I just want to get the numbers out.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:19 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that gt37 did 706 all in, as in huge boost spike and a trq curve that looked like pyramid. The backpressure must have been thru the roof.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:23 PM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
that gt37 did 706 all in, as in huge boost spike and a trq curve that looked like pyramid. The backpressure must have been thru the roof.
ya, powerband was pointless on that car. It peaked, held that power for like 200rpms then fell flat on its face. The tq dropped 200ftlbs from peak in only 1000rpms. So talk about power drop off like crazy.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Total D

Poor design maybe? Be kind of sad I make only another 100hp with race gas.

Originally Posted by binder
ya, powerband was pointless on that car. It peaked, held that power for like 200rpms then fell flat on its face. The tq dropped 200ftlbs from peak in only 1000rpms. So talk about power drop off like crazy.
Wow, was it a built motor? any head work IE: cams? I have 272s in mine right now and wondering if that will be enough to push what I want. Or go with the 280s that are available.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cams wont do **** for a turbo thats out of breath

Last edited by str8dum1; 08-17-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:03 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

they are trying to tell you is that the turbo compressor simply cannot flow enough air, everything you do to the car isnt going to help if the turbo cannot keep up. honestly if the turbo is outa breath at say 6k(im not sure the dyno they are refering to so im just making up a number) and then you put cams in it to rev it to 7k5-8k your actually hurting your power since your right shifting the power band. right shift a power band that already cant keep up and you fail at your goal since its going to make power drop off more rapid, this isnt a liitle 2.0L. it would be like a ls2 popping a single 6766 on and saying "im gona gets me 900 to the wheels" the bigger the engine the less the same turbo will support.

hell garrett themselves only rates the gt3788R at 675 hp you need to step up the turbo if you want more

Last edited by jerryd87; 08-17-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Total D

cams wont do **** for a turbo thats out of breath
Very true, I am more thinking of the power band when I was talking about the cam.

Originally Posted by jerryd87
they are trying to tell you is that the turbo compressor simply cannot flow enough air, everything you do to the car isnt going to help if the turbo cannot keep up. honestly if the turbo is outa breath at say 6k(im not sure the dyno they are refering to so im just making up a number) and then you put cams in it to rev it to 7k5-8k your actually hurting your power since your right shifting the power band. right shift a power band that already cant keep up and you fail at your goal since its going to make power drop off more rapid, this isnt a liitle 2.0L. it would be like a ls2 popping a single 6766 on and saying "im gona gets me 900 to the wheels" the bigger the engine the less the same turbo will support.

hell garrett themselves only rates the gt3788R at 675 hp you need to step up the turbo if you want more
I know what they are telling me and understand man. Mine isn't a gt3788R though either haha. No sure how much you have read, but the goal is to max it out and then go bigger. I'm just seeing how much I can make for myself and the vendor. I guess, I will see what this turbo will do when I start pushing it. I'm only at 17.4psi right now.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:06 PM
jerryd87

which one is it then? gt3788R is the biggest gt37 i can find
Originally Posted by Total D
Very true, I am more thinking of the power band when I was talking about the cam.

I know what they are telling me and understand man. Mine isn't a gt3788R though either haha. No sure how much you have read, but the goal is to max it out and then go bigger. I'm just seeing how much I can make for myself and the vendor. I guess, I will see what this turbo will do when I start pushing it. I'm only at 17.4psi right now.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Total D

I have a GT3794R. It is a turbo built by Forced Performance.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:12 PM
jerryd87

so its essentially a competitor to precision 6765, might make a bit more then, know its essentially a custom turbo i would say mayby 800 on race with the tial housing, mayby a bit less since that compressor wheel targets 40 psi for max airflow vs the ~30 of the precision, theres no way you will be able to get close to the max of the turbo though you wont be able to build a high enough pressure ratio to get the compressor in its sweet spot. in your case im not sure if cams are helping or hurting you(since they allow the same power from less boost and you need more boost to reach the max the turbo can push.)

Last edited by jerryd87; 08-17-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:29 PM
binder

ya, turbo just isn't big enough so the backpressure crushes the engine. Garrett is notorious for putting huge compressor wheels on a tiny little turbine wheel thinking it will flow enough.

Here is their sad dyno with a gt37r. Your larger turbine side will probably carry the hp and torque longer. They have a nasty drop in power.

They have paragraphs on their baby poop green paintjob and ugly as **** 22" rims but don't mention one thing about engine build or cams so it's hard to say what is done. They do still mention that the newest large turbo kit from powerlab is to be released in 2008......so that kind of tells you when the last time they updated the info was and why they are now the slowest g35 with that hp number.
Attached Thumbnails Total D's 18G build......Finally!!!!!!-ntnsracing_2223_525561648.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Dude1312

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in for the pics
Old 08-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Total D

Originally Posted by jerryd87
so its essentially a competitor to precision 6765, might make a bit more then, know its essentially a custom turbo i would say mayby 800 on race with the tial housing, mayby a bit less since that compressor wheel targets 40 psi for max airflow vs the ~30 of the precision, theres no way you will be able to get close to the max of the turbo though you wont be able to build a high enough pressure ratio to get the compressor in its sweet spot. in your case im not sure if cams are helping or hurting you(since they allow the same power from less boost and you need more boost to reach the max the turbo can push.)
I guess all I can do is wait to get the car back, see what she does, and go from there. If I can hit 800, I'll be happy to be honest. Just have to see.

Originally Posted by binder
ya, turbo just isn't big enough so the backpressure crushes the engine. Garrett is notorious for putting huge compressor wheels on a tiny little turbine wheel thinking it will flow enough.

Here is their sad dyno with a gt37r. Your larger turbine side will probably carry the hp and torque longer. They have a nasty drop in power.

They have paragraphs on their baby poop green paintjob and ugly as **** 22" rims but don't mention one thing about engine build or cams so it's hard to say what is done. They do still mention that the newest large turbo kit from powerlab is to be released in 2008......so that kind of tells you when the last time they updated the info was and why they are now the slowest g35 with that hp number.
I wonder what turbine housing they were using on their GT37? That is a pretty bad drop. It is as if it is saying look I'm making power...not! haha

Wow that is forever ago. So many kits have been released since then. I remember when they did the twin GT37 widebody yellow car. But really haven't heard anything else from them.

Originally Posted by Dude1312
in for the pics
I'll have them posted as soon as the car is back from paint.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 PM
binder

I think they used the standard 3782 but they had stock headers on it so I would assume it would be crushed by that tiny header outlet flow.

Quick Reply: Total D's 18G build......Finally!!!!!!