Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Which kit to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Phil Klepka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which kit to go with?

Looking to either supercharge or twin turbo my 03Z - Which kit do you think is the best? Looking for cheap, but I don't want to sacrifice quality to save a grand or two. Not worth the savings if I have to buy more parts -_-. Looking to go FI at the end of the school year. Anywhere in NJ/NY/PA/CT you recommend? Hoping to stay on the stock motor but if I have to rebuild it, I shall rebuild it.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:45 PM
PRuane

Originally Posted by Phil Klepka
Looking to either supercharge or twin turbo my 03Z - Which kit do you think is the best? Looking for cheap, but I don't want to sacrifice quality to save a grand or two. Not worth the savings if I have to buy more parts -_-. Looking to go FI at the end of the school year. Anywhere in NJ/NY/PA/CT you recommend? Hoping to stay on the stock motor but if I have to rebuild it, I shall rebuild it.
Read up on the kits, the Vortech is a popular Supercharger, GreddyTT and GTMTT are popular for a twin setup. R/T Tuning is a good shop in Lansdale and they just tuned a few turbo Z's recently, all the guys there are very helpful.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Frosty87

What are your goals what's your budget figure those out and you will narrow your choices down ..that is all
Old 10-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Dan@Assaultech
Banned

If you are looking to stay on a cheaper budget, the Momentum single turbo kit is great. You can run it on a stock block and the install time is WAY less than any of the TT kits.

A Vortech kit is also a great reliable kit for about 4k for a tuner kit. Looking at about 5k in parts for a Vortech build and 6-7k for parts on a Momentum ST build.

Call us or PM us if you wanna talk about any options and possibilities.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM
UMW350Z

where are you in NJ
Old 10-04-2011, 02:48 PM
ace32x

boosted performance single also another good option, best bang for the buck with some aftermarket headers imo
Old 10-04-2011, 03:19 PM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BP single, ease of installation, instructions in English.. No missing parts outstanding customer service! Click the link in my sig below for additional information..

Tell em Ray sent you!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zion
BP single, ease of installation, instructions in English.. No missing parts outstanding customer service! Click the link in my sig below for additional information..

Tell em Ray sent you!
Thanks Ray. The link in your sig takes him to page3, it is now page 4.....like in my sig.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 10-04-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:44 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Please also budget in gauges, clutch, oil cooler, and depending on which kit you may also need injectors, fuel pump, oil pan or oil pan spacer, ems or reflash.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dikspiel
Please also budget in gauges, clutch, oil cooler, and depending on which kit you may also need injectors, fuel pump, oil pan or oil pan spacer, ems or reflash.
This is true, for $4985 BP kit includes 550cc injectors with pigtails (no splicing) oil pan spacer, and 255lph fuel pump. Just say'n..

The other things you mentioned are not included in any kit, you may as well throw in a wideband sensor/gauges and $600-$1000 for tuning to the list. There is also exhaust upgrades to consider, because the OEM exhaust is small and restrictive.

Keep in mind that a flashed ECU will still need tuning, as all cars are different. This is a known fact for those with experience.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:11 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
This is true, for $4985 BP kit includes 550cc injectors with pigtails (no splicing) oil pan spacer, and 255lph fuel pump. Just say'n..

The other things you mentioned are not included in any kit, you may as well throw in a wideband sensor/gauges and $600-$1000 for tuning to the list. There is also exhaust upgrades to consider, because the OEM exhaust is small and restrictive.

Keep in mind that a flashed ECU will still need tuning, as all cars are different. This is a known fact for those with experience.
Correct and I forgot to mention a wideband, or if you have the budget a dual wideband setup. Haltech makes a dual wideband setup, also you can do dual widebands with the HKS AFK. Not sure who else offers it but you could always just buy 2 seperate widebands and get a gauge for each.

BP if he really wants to do it correctly, he will get a reflash AND a standalone ems like I did.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by dikspiel
Correct and I forgot to mention a wideband, or if you have the budget a dual wideband setup. Haltech makes a dual wideband setup, also you can do dual widebands with the HKS AFK. Not sure who else offers it but you could always just buy 2 seperate widebands and get a gauge for each.

BP if he really wants to do it correctly, he will get a reflash AND a standalone ems like I did.
flash and a standalone is way overkill
Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

how do you figure? A standalone like haltech is great but a flash allows you to set your idle, change your max rpm, remove speed limiter, and disable any CEL so that when you have a legimate CEL you are aware of it.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 AM
350zion
Professional

+2 on my Haltech n Uprev flash
I think they compliment each other....
Y wouldn't u wanna control WOT rev limit etc. Jus sayin

And Sasha thanks for the update, gotta bump up advertising if I wanna get my sales count up....
Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 AM
ace32x

+2 on my Haltech n Uprev flash
I think they compliment each other....
Y wouldn't u wanna control WOT rev limit etc. Jus sayin

And Sasha thanks for the update, gotta bump up advertising if I wanna get my sales count up....
Because I don't wanna drop the money for a haltech when uprev flash is more than caps le of doing everything is want
Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 AM
ace32x

I would * stupid phone
Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 AM
350zion
Professional

Originally Posted by ace32x
Because I don't wanna drop the money for a haltech when uprev flash is more than caps le of doing everything is want
Thats fine for u, I'm not limited to a budget... I wanted something that could be more than capable of keeping things in check in the event that if I decided to build my motor later I could have an ems that can be tuned in more detail....

This has been discussed over n over again..

Another reason I wanted a standalone vs. Reflash is going on right now in the FI section.. a very good read.. Basically I kno I have a Haltech in my hands.. With the reflash u may never kno?
Jus read the thread about performance motor sport..

Not saying that this happens to every one, but I kno it aint happening to me...

If the OP is fine staying within 400-500 hp range then Uprev is capable of handling the electronics, but if he's gonna get the bug n go all out which usually happens he may want to think about a standalone+ uprev ...
Old 10-05-2011, 06:57 AM
rh_334

If the OP is fine staying within 400-500 hp range then Uprev is capable of handling the electronics, but if he's gonna get the bug n go all out which usually happens he may want to think about a standalone+ uprev ...
And thats why i suggest starting out with Uprev, and if you ever go 14+psi (where uprev's dwell isn't sufficient) then add the Haltech, which is what i just did. Since you need some of uprev's functions anyway even with the Haltech.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM
350zion
Professional

Originally Posted by rh_334
And thats why i suggest starting out with Uprev, and if you ever go 14+psi (where uprev's dwell isn't sufficient) then add the Haltech, which is what i just did. Since you need some of uprev's functions anyway even with the Haltech.
absolutely agree, especially if your starting out on a budget...

Uprev gets the job done.... I used to only go one way but now I swing it both ways!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
rh_334

absolutely agree, especially if your starting out on a budget...

Uprev gets the job done....
I made 642rwhp on Uprev without an Ignition amp, but at that it started breaking up around 6k. After Ignition amp it pulled smooth to 7.5k but haven't redyno'ed yet, another car at the shop made 686rwhp on uprev with an Ignition amp. Either way im going Haltech, just wanted to see what we could make on uprev

I used to only go one way but now I swing it both ways!

Quick Reply: Which kit to go with?