Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

momentum gt3794r build.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Ultimately at some level it's almost pointless to compare two separate dyno numbers regardless of what dyno/shop is doing it. Same car, same dyno, 30 min cool down can add like 30whp, maybe more if your ic is soaked etc. Dyno graphs are good to compare, but peak power is so variable.
And +1 on what str8 said. We all know nobody's willing to check plugs on a oem manifold vq35, or at least nobody should be insane enough to pay a shop for the time to do that.
The way I see it: a dyno number is just one of those things that helps you sleep at night; to somehow justify the money you basically burned on the car.

EDIT:
I stand corrected. Meatbag pulls plugs.
"I use other methods to detect knock/det like pulling plugs, electronic knock ears, etc.... "

Last edited by Resmarted; 11-29-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:51 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Ultimately at some level it's almost pointless to compare two separate dyno numbers regardless of what dyno/shop is doing it. Same car, same dyno, 30 min cool down can add like 30whp, maybe more if your ic is soaked etc. Dyno graphs are good to compare, but peak power is so variable.
And +1 on what str8 said. We all know nobody's willing to check plugs on a oem manifold vq35, or at least nobody should be insane enough to pay a shop for the time to do that.
The way I see it: a dyno number is just one of those things that helps you sleep at night; to somehow justify the money you basically burned on the car.
Why is it insane? I check plugs on 99% of my tunes no mater what it is but especially on vq's since they have never really had a good system of knock detection. I can check plugs in 15min on a normal manifold and less then 5min on mine lol. I dont charge for it, its part of the tune.

Last edited by meatbag; 11-29-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by meatbag
Why is it insane? I check plugs on all nissans when I tune since they have never really had a good system of knock detection. I can check plugs in 15min on a normal manifold and less then 5min on mine lol.
Idk pulling off the intake manifold was a pain in the as* to me, and I wouldn't want to pay a shop to pull it off and put it back on multiple times...
Not saying that's something I won't do for my street tune though
Old 11-29-2011, 06:07 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Meatbag, bryan, i obviously meant no disrespect to your tuning abilities. I was just stating the obvious in terms of his guessing game. Most tuners go by very cautious guidelines when tuning a VQ that can leave alot of HP on the table. I was just asking about det cans/ plug chops as we know pushing pump gas needs those indicators to make sure all is ok. Once I saw GTR getting tuned to over 700whp on pretty conservative dynos, that really opened my eyes. They might have a better VE, but not 200whp better, as is the common notion.

Tuners dont wanna have their customers cars puke on the dyno so there is always the margin of caution. And that is always a personal preference. Thats what I was pointing out to the OP. If you ride the tune to the edge of knock and hope he never gets a bad batch of gas or overboost, he can make alot more HP than otherwise.

We know what should be possible with a turbo of that size and perceived reputation, it all depends on how little of a safety margin you want to leave. C16 is another story cause you could fully determine MBT

Last edited by str8dum1; 11-29-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:08 PM
meatbag

Idk pulling off the intake manifold was a pain in the as* to me, and I wouldn't want to pay a shop to pull it off and put it back on multiple times...
1/4" swivel and extensions are your friend. You don't have to pull the manifold off. Worst case you have to remove the charge pipe.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So i guess meatbag and i have different stock manifolds than everyone else because i don't have to remove mine to get the plugs out. Of all the vehicles i've worked on getting the plugs out on my g35 is probably right up there with the easiest. 10-15 minutes to change plugs.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 PM
n2deepnot2keep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Meatbag, bryan, i obviously meant no disrespect to your tuning abilities. I was just stating the obvious in terms of his guessing game. Most tuners go by very cautious guidelines when tuning a VQ that can leave alot of HP on the table. I was just asking about det cans/ plug chops as we know pushing pump gas needs those indicators to make sure all is ok. Once I saw GTR getting tuned to over 700whp on pretty conservative dynos, that really opened my eyes. They might have a better VE, but not 200whp better, as is the common notion.

Tuners dont wanna have their customers cars puke on the dyno so there is always the margin of caution. And that is always a personal preference. Thats what I was pointing out to the OP. If you ride the tune to the edge of knock and hope he never gets a bad batch of gas or overboost, he can make alot more HP than otherwise.

We know what should be possible with a turbo of that size and perceived reputation, it all depends on how little of a safety margin you want to leave. C16 is another story cause you could fully determine MBT
Don't f with my tuner while he is tunning my car!!!
Sorry bryan, I trust u completely , do what u do and it will be what it is .
Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 PM
binder

10:16 central time, done yet?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:29 PM
meatbag

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Meatbag, bryan, i obviously meant no disrespect to your tuning abilities. I was just stating the obvious in terms of his guessing game. Most tuners go by very cautious guidelines when tuning a VQ that can leave alot of HP on the table. I was just asking about det cans/ plug chops as we know pushing pump gas needs those indicators to makesure all is ok. Once I saw GTR getting tuned to over 700whp on pretty conservative dynos, that really opened my eyes. They might have a better VE, but not 200whp better, as is the common notion.

None taken, just wanted to say how I do things since I run across so many hack tunes. Im not saying im the best or anything but everyone has a different way of doing things while tuning and how they do the tune itself and none of it is necessarily wrong or right unless it runs like crap and blows up obviously. I do believe that tuning a car for its use and driver is always better then numbers on a dyno. Great example is a customers vette that runs 9.89 in the 1/4 and makes 498whp on our dyno.

I see that on gtr's and its hard to compare the vr to the vq even though they are "similar".

Im interested to see what this size single will do on the vq. Turbo power ratings are deceptive though. A 700whp 2.0l 4 cylinder requires significantly less air then a 700whp 3.5l v6. A better measurement would be torque since whp depends more on where that torque is made in the rpm band.

Last edited by meatbag; 11-29-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:15 PM
n2deepnot2keep

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhg. More delays! I feel like Im waiting to give birth!!!
I guess they had an issue with the fuel pump, don't really know what went wrong but the fuel pressure was too high.

Anyway the problem has been resolved but the tune won't be done today.

They have a race to go to so it looks like they will get back at it on Monday.

20 years ago this would make me insane.
Now I'm 43 and have a lot more patients.

good things come to those who wait!
Old 11-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by binder
So i guess meatbag and i have different stock manifolds than everyone else because i don't have to remove mine to get the plugs out. Of all the vehicles i've worked on getting the plugs out on my g35 is probably right up there with the easiest. 10-15 minutes to change plugs.
Or I could be a little retarded.
Never had to change plugs on my car, and people told me you gotta pull the intake mani for that... Took one quick look in my bay and it sounded resonably plausible....
Now looking at the heads and thinking about it, the coils should be pretty damn accessible. That makes me a lot happier now lol.
herpaderpaderp.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:56 PM
binder

Or I could be a little retarded.
Never had to change plugs on my car, and people told me you gotta pull the intake mani for that... Took one quick look in my bay and it sounded resonably plausible....
Now looking at the heads and thinking about it, the coils should be pretty damn accessible. That makes me a lot happier now lol.
herpaderpaderp.
ya, i'm not sure who started that myth about needing to remove the manifold. I spread like wildfire on the forums though.

I use a my snap on spark plug socket, 6" extension on a 3/8" drive ratchet and i have no problems. I do have to take off the intake pipe on the drivers bank but that's 2 tbolt camps and unhook the maf and it's right off.

I'm sure you would be able to get it done pretty fast.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 PM
TurboBob

Originally Posted by binder
ya, i'm not sure who started that myth about needing to remove the manifold. I spread like wildfire on the forums though.
Agree. From the 2007 Service Manual:
Changing Spark Plugs (Iridium-Tipped Type) NLS0000H
REMOVAL
1. Remove engine cover with power tool. Refer to EM-17, "INTAKE MANIFOLD COLLECTOR" .
2. Remove ignition coil. Refer to EM-31, "IGNITION COIL" .
3. Remove spark plug using spark plug wrench
Now the reference to the Intake Manifold is simply where in the manual the Engine Cover removal is covered.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:27 PM
n2deepnot2keep

Got some preliminary #'s from bryan today... Right now I'm at 452 whp and 452 lbs tq at 10lbs of boost. Timeing is set for final pull and final #s will be much higher.

I can't be happier with the amount of time and care put in to my build by bryan and powerfab.

I'll post more results as they become available.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:34 PM
n2deepnot2keep

Originally Posted by n2deepnot2keep
Got some preliminary #'s from bryan today... Right now I'm at 452 whp and 452 lbs tq at 10lbs of boost. Timeing is set for final pull and final #s will be much higher.

I can't be happier with the amount of time and care put in to my build by bryan and powerfab.

Btw that about 90 more whp than I got with my sts kit at only two more pounds of boost!!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 PM
binder

timing set already without any pulls at higher boost? that doesn't seem right. I don't doubt the tuner but i think there might be a misunderstanding unless he just didn't tell you he did higher boost pulls.

oh wait, unless he tuned it and now he is waiting so he can start it up cold and do pulls on it without being hot for higher numbers. That's the only reason I would see waiting to take an extra day to finish a tune.

So if you want to do a bench math you could say you are gaining roughly 15hp per PSI. depending each setup and octane level that is a middle ground. That would yield an extra 90hp to bring it up to 16psi on pumpgas. Just shy of 550. Take into account the 91 octane so it might be lower.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:50 AM
n2deepnot2keep

[QUOTE=binder;9503860]timing set already without any pulls at higher boost? that doesn't seem right. I don't doubt the tuner but i think there might be a misunderstanding unless he just didn't tell you he did higher boost pulls.

oh wait, unless he tuned it and now he is waiting so he can start it up cold and do pulls on it without being hot for higher numbers. That's the only reason I would see waiting to take an extra day to finish a tune.

So if you want to do a bench math you could say you are gaining roughly 15hp per PSI. depending each setup and octane level that is a middle ground. That would yield an extra 90hp to bring it up to 16psi on pumpgas. Just shy of 550. Take into account the 91 octane so it might be lower.[/QUOTE
I agree 15 whp is the norm, but my math tells me I'm getting 20ish horses per pound of boost. Ie I'm roughly 200 whp over stock at 10 lbs of boost.

U have prob forgotten more than I know about the vq so I'm not diss'n you, but you did say I would only get 520whp tops!]

btw this kit has made more power at less boost than the greddy kit u compaired it too in your earlier post!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 AM
meatbag

Must have been some misunderstanding in my email. I just said that timing was pulled out compared to what I will be running. These were just some soft runs for building the fuel/timing map up gradually to the final boost levels for pump gas.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 AM
n2deepnot2keep

Originally Posted by meatbag
Must have been some misunderstanding in my email. I just said that timing was pulled out compared to what I will be running. These were just some soft runs for building the fuel/timing map up gradually to the final boost levels for pump gas.
Yeah I mis-took that. I was wondering how timming could be done at that boost level.

Those soft numbers look good to me bryan, I really like the tourq output so far.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:25 PM
binder

I agree 15 whp is the norm, but my math tells me I'm getting 20ish horses per pound of boost. Ie I'm roughly 200 whp over stock at 10 lbs of boost.

U have prob forgotten more than I know about the vq so I'm not diss'n you, but you did say I would only get 520whp tops!]

btw this kit has made more power at less boost than the greddy kit u compaired it too in your earlier post!

i do'nt remember comparing it to a greddy kit but i'll go back and look. I would probably compared it to another single kit.

You forget that hp per boost will drop off as power goes up and especially as you near the limit of a fuel or the turbo. Otherwise i would be putting down way more on all my setups. I started out making 25hp per lb of boost then it tapers down as power goes up.

Plus it's a speculation based on math. Real world doesn't always conform to the ideal . 16psi is what most people push on 93 so i have no idea what that would do on 91.

Quick Reply: momentum gt3794r build.