Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

momentum gt3794r build.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meatbag
Car will finish out around 560ish on pump.

Spent the day chasing a siphon problem that came back to the siphon tube not wanting to stay latched onto the basket. All the pipes have settled in finally after the heat cycles but we will be pulling off the crossover tube to add a flex section and get rid of the double slip joint where we had to cut the opposite pipe to make it seat properly.
that's some nice power on 91 octane!

and so we have customer #2 with a momentum kit that needs modified to fit. That's a bummer to hear. I'm glad my kit has a flex section in the cross over. I thought it was overkill but now i'm thankful for it.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

add a flex section and get rid of the double slip joint where we had to cut the opposite pipe to make it seat properly.
I have been using 2.5"x6" Vibrant turbo flex pipes. These a great quality, and will never distort on the inside do to heat, like othe cheap brands. The ribs are very durable and heat resistant:

IMO slip joints simply don't allow for enough wiggle room, and things change shape when heated.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 12-13-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
I have been using 2.5"x6" Vibrant turbo flex pipes. These a great quality, and will never distort on the inside do to heat, like othe cheap brands. The ribs are very durable and heat resistant:

IMO slip joints simply don't allow for enough wiggle room, and things change shape when heated.
We use those or these depending on the application. Usually pre turbo we try to use the bellows when we build turbo systems.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:34 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what were the final numbers, etc with this build?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:21 AM
meatbag

530s on 91 pump and low 600s on c16.

The kit has too much back pressure.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Wow, didn't expect that. I thought they made just over 600 on 93 pump, as per a post made by Momentum I read a while ago.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Wow, didn't expect that. I thought they made just over 600 on 93 pump, as per a post made by Momentum I read a while ago.
Fluffed up manufacturer numbers 3rd party tests FTW.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 AM
str8dum1

what size AR on the turbine?
530 is still good and I bet the trq had a nice peak. Def shows that just because that turbo can make good numbers on a 4 banger doesnt mean it will on a V6

Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM
meatbag

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I thought I was doing something wrong at first but after having a couple of my other tuner friends look over everything I have to agree with this statement.

The power is very smooth though. I can post graphs up monday.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:23 PM
meatbag

Originally Posted by str8dum1
what size AR on the turbine?
530 is still good and I bet the trq had a nice peak. Def shows that just because that turbo can make good numbers on a 4 banger doesnt mean it will on a V6
Its a 1.03ar tial SS housing.

Momentum bought the turbos from FP.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m..._Code=Turbo-FP

On paper this turbo is capable of more so thats why I think the momentum kit has some back pressure issues.

Last edited by meatbag; 01-22-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:17 PM
str8dum1

ya i know it was a FP turbo and they have made close to 800 on 6 cylinders. Thats where I came up with my whp guess earlier in the thread.

Did you just see the trq spike and drop as you increased the boost?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM
meatbag

ya i know it was a FP turbo and they have made close to 800 on 6 cylinders. Thats where I came up with my whp guess earlier in the thread.

Did you just see the trq spike and drop as you increased the boost?
Yes. Tq peaks and then falls off quite a bit towards redline. The tq curve looks like a semi circle almost. Absolutely nothing like any of the Momentum graphs that were posted.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 AM
str8dum1

weird, def classic high BP
Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM
rbsileighty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Pretty sure the MP posted numbers were on a 3.8L with Cosworth heads/intake manifold etc... just throwing that out there to show they prob aren't fluffed
Old 01-23-2012, 02:42 PM
meatbag

Originally Posted by rbsileighty
Pretty sure the MP posted numbers were on a 3.8L with Cosworth heads/intake manifold etc... just throwing that out there to show they prob aren't fluffed
They also fail to mention what kind of gas was being used. For pump I was stuck with 91 since thats what the owner has locally.

This was the racegas dyno.

Last edited by meatbag; 01-23-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 PM
rbsileighty

They also fail to mention what kind of gas was being used. For pump I was stuck with 91 since thats what the owner has locally.

This was the racegas dyno.

For a track car that looks like a good curve/power delivery... if I were going for max power looks like you could gain a lot with some cams and/or an intake manifold w/ shorter runners that would move peak tq to the right a bit, peaking out at 5.4k def isn't helping the peak hp numbers

BTW I am not 100% on what was put onto these forums as I was behind the scenes most of the time but I'm Sig Jamison... former Director of Manufacturing and Quality at Momentum Performance. I am pretty sure the car put out similar numbers on 93 octane about a month ago but I wasn't there for the pull and never knew if the numbers were posted or not

I didn't develop the 350z kit, but it's a good kit and I am sorry for your fitment issues. I've installed several kits and had I been given the chance I probably could have helped you resolve the cross-over pipe issue without cutting the pipe. You weren't the first to have an issue with this pipe fitment as there were a few variables that could happen with installation and cause a no-fit condition. There were only a few issues reported with this non-fit and 100% of the ones I handled were due to an out-of-sequence bolt-up or a ceramic coated set that had been pulled apart and the two pipes had an issue with the slip-joint having trouble being completely re-assembled (ended up to long for the one I remember). With a bit of force and WD40 the ceramic coated slip would fit correctly but it took patience. It looks like this wasn't made clear on your kit and I apologize for any frustrations you might be having with your kit.

Last edited by rbsileighty; 01-23-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:39 PM
str8dum1

Much better midrange (~100whp at 5000 rpms) than Jeffs BP T4 6765 curve at similar boost. That 67.5mm GT3794 is about $500 more expensive also and needs water lines compared to the air cooled ceramic PTE.

GT3794r

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-23-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
meatbag

Originally Posted by rbsileighty
For a track car that looks like a good curve/power delivery... if I were going for max power looks like you could gain a lot with some cams and/or an intake manifold w/ shorter runners that would move peak tq to the right a bit, peaking out at 5.4k def isn't helping the peak hp numbers

BTW I am not 100% on what was put onto these forums as I was behind the scenes most of the time but I'm Sig Jamison... former Director of Manufacturing and Quality at Momentum Performance. I am pretty sure the car put out similar numbers on 93 octane about a month ago but I wasn't there for the pull and never knew if the numbers were posted or not

I didn't develop the 350z kit, but it's a good kit and I am sorry for your fitment issues. I've installed several kits and had I been given the chance I probably could have helped you resolve the cross-over pipe issue without cutting the pipe. You weren't the first to have an issue with this pipe fitment as there were a few variables that could happen with installation and cause a no-fit condition. There were only a few issues reported with this non-fit and 100% of the ones I handled were due to an out-of-sequence bolt-up or a ceramic coated set that had been pulled apart and the two pipes had an issue with the slip-joint having trouble being completely re-assembled (ended up to long for the one I remember). With a bit of force and WD40 the ceramic coated slip would fit correctly but it took patience. It looks like this wasn't made clear on your kit and I apologize for any frustrations you might be having with your kit.
Car has cams, intake spacer(have made 957whp with a stock intake and a spacer on another car). The fitment issue started with the momemtum headers. We realized that was the source since we had to grind the motor mounts down in some areas to make them clear and of course everything was thrown off from then on. We separated the slip joint and cleaned all the sand blasting media out and coated it with anti seize before reinserting it. The non slipjoint side was just too long by about an inch even when we tried installing the kit with stock headers to see if the manifolds were causing the slipjoint to move that amount. So I know that pipe was cut wrong and then the downpipe issues were caused by the headers being slightly out of whack.

Lets just make this clear. Not an installation error. I have already been publicly slammed by one of your marketing people for trying to make your product work so lets not continue it.

Last edited by meatbag; 01-23-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Much better midrange (~100whp at 5000 rpms) than Jeffs BP T4 6765 curve at similar boost. That 67.5mm GT3794 is about $500 more expensive also and needs water lines compared to the air cooled ceramic PTE.
Yup, but that is the difference between a Tial V-band housing and a true T4 turbine housing. Too bad Jeff's clutch let go at 5800rpm, because that HP curve would have continued to clumb way up. You know how well, and where the billet wheels shine

Also

6765 is JB at 22psi
3794 is BB at 25psi
Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 AM
rbsileighty

Car has cams, intake spacer(have made 957whp with a stock intake and a spacer on another car). The fitment issue started with the momemtum headers. We realized that was the source since we had to grind the motor mounts down in some areas to make them clear and of course everything was thrown off from then on. We separated the slip joint and cleaned all the sand blasting media out and coated it with anti seize before reinserting it. The non slipjoint side was just too long by about an inch even when we tried installing the kit with stock headers to see if the manifolds were causing the slipjoint to move that amount. So I know that pipe was cut wrong and then the downpipe issues were caused by the headers being slightly out of whack.

Lets just make this clear. Not an installation error. I have already been publicly slammed by one of your marketing people for trying to make your product work so lets not continue it.
I'm just trying to help... if you don't want it that's up to you. I'm not saying you did anything wrong and there is no "your" as there is no Momentum Performance anymore. I'm just saying I wish I could have helped and sorry you have such a bad taste in your mouth from your experience. If you need help in the future I'd be glad to help and I wish you the best with your future mods.

Quick Reply: momentum gt3794r build.