Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

AEM Infinity

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default AEM Infinity

anyone seen a release date on this? seems promising, proefi 128 capabilitys for the cost of a haltech, and supposed to be plug and play on our platform.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you should buy one. i'm sure it will be a PnP as they advertise.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:44 PM
jerryd87

i want to see more of the software, but if it is plug and play, does what it claims and is at least mildly user friendly i very well may buy it. $2300 is what alot of sites sell the haltech for i think forged is the cheapest at just over $2100, and have to buy the wideband controller on top of that.

i was hoping someone else might have a bit more info on it, i know some platforms AEM is junk but then theres also platforms that its the "go to" ems

Last edited by jerryd87; 12-27-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:44 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

We got an up close look at SEMA and it is a promising ECU on paper - but like any offering I would like to see it perform in real life before I jump on. No official release date, and mixed word on plug&play harnesses. It will be released as a universal ecu and plug in harnesses will follow.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 AM
str8dum1

ya and the Link looks great as does Vipec, Hydra, and Proefi. The infinity doesnt really offer anything different than those 4 boxes.

But they are all still universal boxes that need a good bit of tuner expertise to dial in for a specific application. The AEM guys will probably be able to tune it, but will they know how to set it up for a VQ?

I doubt they will make a VQ PnP harness. Maybe for the GTR, but FI VQ advancement is pretty dead.

Time will tell.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 AM
jerryd87

one thing is though the vq platform is becoming more accessable, with the drop in price in cars alot more people can afford used z33's now. the thing im most interested in is according to AEM on there forums there is no tables to tune, it uses all algorithms similar to OEM ecu's. but i dont feel like waiting and possibly it being no good which is why i just bought that used haltech off hal lol
Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
one thing is though the vq platform is becoming more accessable, with the drop in price in cars alot more people can afford used z33's now. the thing im most interested in is according to AEM on there forums there is no tables to tune, it uses all algorithms similar to OEM ecu's. but i dont feel like waiting and possibly it being no good which is why i just bought that used haltech off hal lol
It will still use tables for at least spark and base fuel just like 99% of everything else out there but will use PIDs to control other functions just like Proefi and some other setups.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM
jerryd87

i was just repeating what they posted because someone asked on resolution and a admin responded there where no tables *shrug*
Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the worst part about osiris tuning though so why would you want that? I think tables are the simplest way to adjust things.

As for resolution, you can setup resolution in haltech. I have my driveability areas setup for every 100rpm and 1inHG so it has damned high resolution. Not sure how much more a person would want.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:17 PM
str8dum1

PIDs can be super difficult to setup and someone has to do the front work. You definately do not want to be an early adopter.

I look at all the PID controlled tables in my proefi and have no idea how optimally they are set. Yes things work ok, but optimized, prolly not. And I sure dont have the money or resources to sit on a load dyno for days to figure it out.

More is not often better.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 PM
MrZ1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if this will still need uprev like haltech and proefi 48 does? I want an ecu but I dont want to buy uprev and a 2k+ ecu.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

UpRev's Osiris is indispensible for OBD (passing emissions and reading CELs), throttle control settings, 5AT torque table tweaking, and logging stock sensors. You may not want to buy uprev but no aftermarket ecu does everything the stock ECU does. Hal@Dynosty does provide a package deal for a reflash to go along with a Haltech purchase and other ECU dealers may also. If someone nearby has a cable, then all you need is a license on your stock ECU and then they can reflash as needed.

Last edited by rcdash; 01-11-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

haltech doesn't "need" osiris either. It's a great combo but you can use someone else's cable and raise the idle with only cipher.

Cipher only raises it to 900 and mine idles better at 1000rpm so that's why i have a flash. other than raising the idle to 1000rpms i have no other need for the flash. Something about the porting on my heads that doesn't like to idle well under 1000 but a lot of people say 800rpm works fine. If mine was that case i would have just increased it with cipher and called it a day.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:12 PM
MrZ1987

Originally Posted by rcdash
UpRev's Osiris is indispensible for OBD (passing emissions and reading CELs), throttle control settings, 5AT torque table tweaking, and logging stock sensors. You may not want to buy uprev but no aftermarket ecu does everything the stock ECU does. Hal@Dynosty does provide a package deal for a reflash to go along with a Haltech purchase and other ECU dealers may also. If someone nearby has a cable, then all you need is a license on your stock ECU and then they can reflash as needed.
Originally Posted by binder
haltech doesn't "need" osiris either. It's a great combo but you can use someone else's cable and raise the idle with only cipher.

Cipher only raises it to 900 and mine idles better at 1000rpm so that's why i have a flash. other than raising the idle to 1000rpms i have no other need for the flash. Something about the porting on my heads that doesn't like to idle well under 1000 but a lot of people say 800rpm works fine. If mine was that case i would have just increased it with cipher and called it a day.

Thanks for the info. I was just hoping the AEM was going to be similar to the way Kpro is for the Hondas where it controls and monitors everything. Especially since the Infinity says that it supports dbw, that would make it more like a pro efi 128 where its 100% standalone right?

If that's not the case then oh well, I am happy with going uprev + haltech.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 PM
jerryd87

according to jason at proefi yes you can, you can set it up so the stock computer isnt even needed. thats what had me interested in this is it seemed to have the same feature list at a lower price. i ended up giving up though and decided i would just buy a haltech since i need something before this comes out.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hal@Dynosty
We got an up close look at SEMA and it is a promising ECU on paper - but like any offering I would like to see it perform in real life before I jump on. No official release date, and mixed word on plug&play harnesses. It will be released as a universal ecu and plug in harnesses will follow.
Agreed. It may be some time before a full plug and play setup is ready for prime time. I think it's great if/when more proven ECU packages come to market with proper R&D and good support.

And with talk of full OBDII control, drive by wire control and other features, things are looking pretty good for the VQ35 community.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:05 AM
SurraTT

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Agreed. It may be some time before a full plug and play setup is ready for prime time. I think it's great if/when more proven ECU packages come to market with proper R&D and good support.

And with talk of full OBDII control, drive by wire control and other features, things are looking pretty good for the VQ35 community.

whoah..

Full obd2 , sounds like some could remove the factory ecu now maybe???

That's what im wanting. A full on ECU replacement! That can pass obd2 run DBW all that good stuff.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MrZ1987
Thanks for the info. I was just hoping the AEM was going to be similar to the way Kpro is for the Hondas where it controls and monitors everything. Especially since the Infinity says that it supports dbw, that would make it more like a pro efi 128 where its 100% standalone right?

If that's not the case then oh well, I am happy with going uprev + haltech.
Keep in mind that Kpro is a modified factory ECU. That's why they are still able to work/modify the readiness monitors. I'm not sure any of the true aftermarket standalones will have readiness function in the near future. OE manufacturers had to spend millions upon millions to achieve readiness cause of government compliance, I don't think they wanted to make it a standard. I just don't see an aftermarket company having the desire or resources to spend that kind of money.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 AM
SurraTT

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
Keep in mind that Kpro is a modified factory ECU. That's why they are still able to work/modify the readiness monitors. I'm not sure any of the true aftermarket standalones will have readiness function in the near future. OE manufacturers had to spend millions upon millions to achieve readiness cause of government compliance, I don't think they wanted to make it a standard. I just don't see an aftermarket company having the desire or resources to spend that kind of money.

Very true! I doubt any Standalone system for the VQ35 will be able to "fake" readiness monitors, IF they CAN then that will be amazing for OBD2 hardships. I would def give that system a shot in my car.

With this AEM having OBD2? What are the possibilities of readiness monitors "fooling" around? There is a fine legal issue around there correct??
Old 01-13-2012, 10:07 AM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by jerryd87
according to jason at proefi yes you can, you can set it up so the stock computer isnt even needed. thats what had me interested in this is it seemed to have the same feature list at a lower price. i ended up giving up though and decided i would just buy a haltech since i need something before this comes out.
As a Pro-efi 128 user, there is no way in hell that I would suggest to anyone getting rid of their stock ecu to use it as a full standalone. Supra's- maybe, but vq's- absolutely not. I control my DBW with it, and it's nothing but a challenge for my tuner and for other add-ons like the display. When dropping the sort of $$$ we do on our cars, you want it to work as it is advertised. Do I love my TC function and such, absolutely, but that is tied into the wheel speed sensors which means the Pro-efi can bus and throttle control must be must be plugged in and not the factory connectors.

Like mentioned earlier, the R&D is so important, and updates and progress takes time after learning from issues. Paper is one thing, actual use and performance is a whole other animal. My $.02

Quick Reply: AEM Infinity