Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My version of a 350Z single turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Phamspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Looks great so far! Any idea when you'll be done?
I'm hoping to have the kit done march. I'm also doing other mods to the car so it's gonna be an ongoing project of mine.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Phamspeed

Worked on something else last night I'm using 2" OD runners for my intake manifold. I'm still working out the details for the plenum but it will be nice and big as usual. I make 1000hp supra manifolds and all the same concepts worked right into this one. Machining of the radius on the plenum plate isn't as aggressive but it's better than nothing.

Name:  0064d1d7.jpg
Views: 3199
Size:  136.1 KB

Name:  8ba5e976.jpg
Views: 3267
Size:  117.6 KB

Name:  ecd84933.jpg
Views: 3241
Size:  144.5 KB

I will be testing this manifold out before and after, NA and turbo
Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by Phamspeed
Worked on something else last night I'm using 2" OD runners for my intake manifold. I'm still working out the details for the plenum but it will be nice and big as usual. I make 1000hp supra manifolds and all the same concepts worked right into this one. Machining of the radius on the plenum plate isn't as aggressive but it's better than nothing.

I will be testing this manifold out before and after, NA and turbo
quite the manifold, im interested to see how that works out
Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Phamspeed

Originally Posted by ace32x
quite the manifold, im interested to see how that works out
Me to haha!! When we tested the 2J motor, it used the same size runners but was quite shorter than this current manifold. We gained low end power and top end really just got cleaned up. This manifold design should be nice to test with. Just working with the stock uim I can see how restrictive it is so it should be interesting.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM
ace32x

Me to haha!! When we tested the 2J motor, it used the same size runners but was quite shorter than this current manifold. We gained low end power and top end really just got cleaned up. This manifold design should be nice to test with. Just working with the stock uim I can see how restrictive it is so it should be interesting.
in for results then, you going to make one offs? may be interested in one if they yield positive results
Old 02-01-2012, 01:10 PM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad too see there is still some innovation and continued research in this community.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

still waiting to see any kinetix style manifold make noticeable gains. Yours will be like the 5th custom attempt on top of the 2 production models we've seen on the forums. Maybe it will be the one.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Originally Posted by thatv35guy
I was on 91 octane, we stopped because my injectors were at 85% duty cycle and I don’t have a RFS.

The 620 whp run was on E85 BUT he made just over 520 whp on 91 octane gas.
Not that I want to get into semantics argument, but DJ I made 503 on my prior setup that was stock motor and 60whp higher than what Dynosty's (injected at the time) dyno read. I would assume on pump fast low boost i am well into the 500s on a DJ. Id love to see those graphs and details. But comparing apples to oranges is hard when the testing isn't uniform and I know a blanket statement of you can't break 450 on stock manifolds may not be entirely true, if you run a big enough turbo it will spool and you'll get something out of it.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:33 PM
=Cerberus=

Originally Posted by str8dum1
still waiting to see any kinetix style manifold make noticeable gains. Yours will be like the 5th custom attempt on top of the 2 production models we've seen on the forums. Maybe it will be the one.
The biggest problem with any log time intake with the same diameter tubes, you will never have balanced airflow among all the runners. Basic flow requires the smaller tubes the furthest away from the entry. Not sure if the kinetix does this, or like the manifold above, someone just welded some tubes up, polished it and called it good.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by =Cerberus=
The biggest problem with any log time intake with the same diameter tubes, you will never have balanced airflow among all the runners. Basic flow requires the smaller tubes the furthest away from the entry. Not sure if the kinetix does this, or like the manifold above, someone just welded some tubes up, polished it and called it good.
when the system is pressurized though does it still need the smaller diameter piping farther away? would think it would force an equal amount across the board with the psi coming from the turbo, when in boost anyways
Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would strongly suggest putting a flex pipe on the crossover pipe above the bell housing. Also, the end tanks on your FMIC are very poor design. I would consider changing those for sure. There are a lot of FMIC's you can buy off the shelf that would work perfect...like the one I use (vertical flow 22x9x3.5 core) .

Please don't take this as criticism, but a more like a suggestion from experience. The rest looks good. Why not do this on the passenger side though...there is a lot more room.

I am about to build a 370z ST kit, and will put it on the passenger side. Much more room to work with.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 02-01-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Phamspeed

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
I would strongly suggest putting a flex pipe on the crossover pipe above the bell housing. Also, the end tanks on your FMIC are very poor design. I would consider changing those for sure. There are a lot of FMIC's you can buy off the shelf that would work perfect...like the one I use (vertical flow 22x9x3.5 core) .

Please don't take this as criticism, but a more like a suggestion from experience. The rest looks good. Why not do this on the passenger side though...there is a lot more room.

I am about to build a 370z ST kit, and will put it on the passenger side. Much more room to work with.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will consider them if the design fails. I didn't want to use any off the shelf fmic because we only use Ets intercooler cores. We have tested these cores against other manufactures and it is hands down these cores are most efficient. We'll give it a shot and see how it goes.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks for the suggestions. I will consider them if the design fails. I didn't want to use any off the shelf fmic because we only use Ets intercooler cores. We have tested these cores against other manufactures and it is hands down these cores are most efficient. We'll give it a shot and see how it goes.
What is the core size? I use this:

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...es+Intercooler

Great quality, and they do a great job at cooling the charge air.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Phamspeed

I've tried Treadstone cores and Jason (owner of Treadstone) is a really cool guy. The funny thing is 3 years ago we tested a completely stock Genesis against ETS and Treadstone cores. You can already guess which core came out on top. Intercooler is really important to me after testings that we have done. I will say again, ETS has the best cores you will ever find or test!!! I could have made things easy and bought an off the shelf intercooler for half the cost. But you know for the extra couple hundred bucks and a few hours of work, I have the best fmic and I have all the confidence in the world in it. I wouldn't be able to say that with any other intercooler.

I made the hot side intercooler pipe last night and it came out shorter than I expected. We all know what length and bends do to flow so I wanted to make sure we're able to make our hp goal and beyond. Pipe is made from 2.5" OD with no off tangent cuts and is super short. I added a bracket right in the middle of the pipe. In case a coupler fails, the pipe stays in place. This also is an added insurance from couplers moving around and popping off.

Name:  8f182a78.jpg
Views: 3234
Size:  141.8 KB

I also made a bracket for the oil scavange pump. I wanted to make sure I didn't have any ground clearance issues so the bracket tucks the pump above the chassis.

Name:  35774aa4.jpg
Views: 3188
Size:  122.1 KB
Name:  9f3f079a.jpg
Views: 3113
Size:  95.9 KB

Last edited by Phamspeed; 02-02-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 PM
dsm25psi

looks good, i cant wait for it all to be done. I might even get the full kit from you.
I ran ETS parts on my 800hp evo, and their intercoolers are great.I made 600hp on 3.5 ets intercooler with no problems.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

I've tried Treadstone cores and Jason (owner of Treadstone) is a really cool guy. The funny thing is 3 years ago we tested a completely stock Genesis against ETS and Treadstone cores. You can already guess which core came out on top. Intercooler is really important to me after testings that we have done. I will say again, ETS has the best cores you will ever find or test!!! I could have made things easy and bought an off the shelf intercooler for half the cost. But you know for the extra couple hundred bucks and a few hours of work, I have the best fmic and I have all the confidence in the world in it. I wouldn't be able to say that with any other intercooler.
I am not saying anything against ETS, and the products they offer. All I know is that I have customers in the mid 600whp range, with minimal IAT gains over ambient with the TR instercoolers.

Looking forward to the results..

What turbine housing did you go with here?

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 02-02-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 PM
R3belzBRN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The core won't be the issue. The angle the air will encounter with those end tanks is what will be the problem. Unless you have diverters within those the airflow will not be the same across the entire core. That is what he is getting at.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Phamspeed

Originally Posted by binder
The core won't be the issue. The angle the air will encounter with those end tanks is what will be the problem. Unless you have diverters within those the airflow will not be the same across the entire core. That is what he is getting at.
I see, some changes are possible.

A few ounces of oil gets discharged from the turbo after the engine is shut off. This happens over a period of a few minutes. On lower mounted turbos that oil can sit in the bearings and seals and can cause premature failure. A simple solution would be to leave the scavenge pump on for a few minutes after engine shut off. What I did was made a pan that holds this oil. It holds about twice the amount of oil I measured after engine shut off. This should keep the turbo nice and dry.

Name:  0ce4af28.jpg
Views: 3185
Size:  109.5 KB
Name:  5fce29eb.jpg
Views: 3238
Size:  100.0 KB
Name:  4c60f4f3.jpg
Views: 2948
Size:  109.9 KB

Last edited by Phamspeed; 02-09-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice work OP. +1 on treadstone cores. the cores aren't the only thing that determines efficiency. End tank design comes into play too. Never used ETS cores, so I can't speak on that.

Quick Reply: My version of a 350Z single turbo kit