Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Twin Charging my Z!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:39 AM
TopgunZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why am I doing this:

1. I gave up drinking for a month and am bored.

2. I only get 2 weeks vacation and have everything I want....so I'm saying I have nothing else better to spend my money on.

3. If I don't do it I will always wonder what if I had.

4. It's fun! Trying something new and innovative.

5. If I wanted twins, id buy them. And just may some day.

I'm not looking for the fastest car on the road. But, it would be cool to have a one of a kind. **** I may even get bored and pull the drivetrain out of a wrecked G35 and make it AWD...lol... Jk. (Or am I)
Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TopgunZ
Why am I doing this:

1. I gave up drinking for a month and am bored.

2. I only get 2 weeks vacation and have everything I want....so I'm saying I have nothing else better to spend my money on.

3. If I don't do it I will always wonder what if I had.

4. It's fun! Trying something new and innovative.

5. If I wanted twins, id buy them. And just may some day.

I'm not looking for the fastest car on the road. But, it would be cool to have a one of a kind. **** I may even get bored and pull the drivetrain out of a wrecked G35 and make it AWD...lol... Jk. (Or am I)
Now THAT i could get behind for SURE... was just thinking about that a few days ago on my way home on a long drive back from the ski hill...
Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Shizzmaster2k

Originally Posted by bmccann101
Now THAT i could get behind for SURE... was just thinking about that a few days ago on my way home on a long drive back from the ski hill...
After reading the article of the OCR Z, I was very intrigued with the technology used to fabricate such a system and I'm now contemplating doing a project like this with a vortech supercharger and the momentum turbocharger but I need to talk to a few installers about doing such a setup to find out what the initial cost would be in addition to the reliability of the motor.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You didnt undertstand what you read then. You cant use a vortech supercharger to do this.

You have to use a positive displacement not a dynamic compressor (like vortech)
Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
You didnt undertstand what you read then. You cant use a vortech supercharger to do this.

100% correct, and start looking at larger turbine turbos. Why would you use a small T3 housing if you have the supercharger to make low boost RPM? In the end you are still going to run out of breath do to back pressure issues with the T3's.

If you are going to try this, do it right the first time and at least give it a chance.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
100% correct, and start looking at larger turbine turbos. Why would you use a small T3 housing if you have the supercharger to make low boost RPM? In the end you are still going to run out of breath do to back pressure issues with the T3's.

If you are going to try this, do it right the first time and at least give it a chance.
Not to mention vortech and momentum put their compressors in the same place.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

In Europe they have some small VW Polos and Sciroccos available with a tiny 1.4 liter twin-charged engine. We rented a Scirocco in Italy and it was a pleasure to drive. I believe this system routed the airflow first through a roots style supercharger, then through the turbo and finally through an intercooler. I guess that this is the reverse order of induction from what you are proposing, but it ran incredibly well pulling like an engine of twice the size.

On insanely steep little back roads I could slow down to a crawl in second gear to let sheep etc. cross. This engine produced such gobs of low-end torque that without downshifting just a touch of throttle made the heavily loaded Scirocco leap back up to speed. I suppose the reason for the compound system is so the engine can also keep pulling at high revs. It was explained to me that at higher RPM the turbo air intake could bypass the supercharger, which was then disengaged via a clutch.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:52 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ugh. The stillen supercharger kit is way to small for the motor to begin with. That stillen charger basically just blows hott air as it is and makes noise. Adding a turbo setup to the stillen is a huge waste and a big bottleneck. Sure this kind of thing exists and is done not with what you are attempting to do it with though it just isnt worth it. That powerlab kit alone could do what both these kits might do. its a tuning nightmare and whats the point if the car is stock block anyway when just the powerlab kit alone has the potential to pop it. This is just not in any way a smart idea. Its one thing to go a try things but come on

Last edited by tylerxfire; 02-22-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 PM
TopgunZ

And the world is flat
Old 02-22-2012, 02:27 PM
TopgunZ

Like I said in previous posts. Nobody likes the stillen. But....my dyno pre stillen..230...post....315. I didn't know hot air gives you 85whp. Hmmm... My point is that it moves air. Now compound that air and see what you get.

How are most people not getting this. I dont care about making 650+ whp. Obviously if I did I never would have bought a supercharger in the first place. Is everyone reading the headline only and responding?

If I wanted to have bragging rights of the fastest biggest HP Z on the track then id go for it and tell everyone I had nuts like King Kong.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't know if it's been mentioned but won't you have a problem worn heat soke? I have a HKS GT kit and it alone generates a serious amount of heat. I just don't see Meth being the savior of this system. Are your really going to use a Utec? Some of the guys that posted are regulars in the FI section and have seen their share of kits(especially BP), I'd seriously consider their feedback instead of putting yourself on a pedestal as an innovator. I'm no engineer but I think it's ironic that the only types of engines that successfully do this are four cylinders.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Is there a chance i blow my engine? Yes. Do i want to build it in a couple months? Yes. So if it goes then i will just have to build it sooner.
If your engine blows it may end up with fragments in the oil....so your turbo likely would need to be rebuilt, possibly your heads ruined and not sure if the Stillen blower uses the cars oil or it is sealed but if it uses the cars oil supply that could need a rebuild as well. Just something people sometimes forget when making the statment if i blow it up i have a good reason to build the bottom end. You may also end up in sever thousand dollars worth of component repairs and a worthless longblock core as well. So that could end up being a $4,000 touch in addition to the orginal built engine cost.

Not hating just giving you something else to think about, build the engine now save around $4,000 later
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 PM
bjmax

See here.. Seat Ibiza 1.4 TSI twin-charge engine

http://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/seat/s...pra_3506.jhtml

With turbo and supercharger working in tandem, maximum torque is produced over a much wider section of the rev range, giving the car greater flexibility.

Go.. And see where it goes.. this is interesting.

Last edited by bjmax; 02-22-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1

There's a twin charged r35 gtr out there that uses superchargers JUST like the vortech (two of them).

What would require a roots supercharger?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

UTEC might actually be a smart choice, at least initially. The overboost cut feature may save your block if you have issues controlling boost.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that twin charged gtr is not doing the same thing. all that is is like have 4 turbo chargers.

Positive displacement blowers create max boost at any rpm, essentially. centrifugal blowers only create max boost at redline.

Why would you want to use a supercharger that has the same powerband as the turbo? you dont. And they designers of that GTR were just showing they could boost their boost dog. Stupid.

You want the sc to make all the power down low and have the turbo take over at the top in a properly twin charged system.

The reason the stillen was a fail, is because its too small to keep up with the airflow demands at high rpms and wouldnt maintain the power. If they coulda fit a eaton 110, that woulda crushed stock and even built block turbos.

Last edited by str8dum1; 02-23-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:43 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow this is still going..... A few years back and this thread would have been DOA! OP there is a reason this has not been done. Listen to the board and move fwd. One saying applies here.. Garbage in = Garbage out. Just get a Boosted P turbo kit and remove then sell stillen setup. One you will save weight and two no more whine!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 AM
TopgunZ

I will try again.........

I understand I can get up to 650whp out of just the PowerLab kit. HOWEVER, that is not my goal. I would rather have a very driveable car that has an insane linear torque curve which starts pulling at 1500 all the way through. Even if that sacrifices peak power rating and I only acheive 500. Plus this is just something I want to try and have been wanting to for a very long time. Im just going to do it already and see what happens. If its a fail...so be it.

I know everyone here is power hungry. Or else we wouldnt modify our cars at all.

To the point that the M62 is "just to small to do ****". But the M90 would work great!! Ok, valid point. Yes the M90 and a GT40R would be great and make gobs of power. Plus the M110 and the GT60 would be insane and make 1500+.(hypotheticaly)

Again, Im not after the most power i can possibly get out of my car.

Scale everything down guys. If the M90 and a GT40R would be a great combo and make 1000hp. Then scale them both down to a M62 and GT35R and make conservatively half that at 500.

I understand there are forces at work here which may hinder an aspect of the system. However, without give there can be no take.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM
tylerxfire

I understand I can get up to 650whp out of just the PowerLab kit. HOWEVER, that is not my goal. I would rather have a very driveable car that has an insane linear torque curve which starts pulling at 1500 all the way through. Even if that sacrifices peak power rating and I only acheive 500. Plus this is just something I want to try and have been wanting to for a very long time. Im just going to do it already and see what happens. If its a fail...so be it.

I know everyone here is power hungry. Or else we wouldnt modify our cars at all.

To the point that the M62 is "just to small to do ****". But the M90 would work great!! Ok, valid point. Yes the M90 and a GT40R would be great and make gobs of power. Plus the M110 and the GT60 would be insane and make 1500+.(hypotheticaly)

Again, Im not after the most power i can possibly get out of my car.

Scale everything down guys. If the M90 and a GT40R would be a great combo and make 1000hp. Then scale them both down to a M62 and GT35R and make conservatively half that at 500.

I understand there are forces at work here which may hinder an aspect of the system. However, without give there can be no take.

honestly at this point ur just not listening or ur not properly digesting the info. given and ur so stuck thinking everyone is giving you this info because we thinik you want to make big power..no wrong ppl realize what ur lookin to do it is just a fail of an idea because of the stillen kit basically is so small and choking the motor as is, you really do not want to add boost to that. you do realize turbo kits these days arent like turbo kits from years ago..u can get turbo kits that have big down low power now with no lag and that come on just as hard at 1500 rpm or harder, ur theory here just doesnt make sense, you should just look into a good quality quick spooling turbo kit setup and have both of best worlds with a easy reliable setup...and honestly what u are trying to accomplish you could do with a twin sequential setup with a smaller and bigger turbo but that too is pretty pointless these days with the turbo kits out there now..

and posting ur numbers of the stillen kit is even more of a fail and should make u smarten up even more..i mean honestly bolt on cars make 300whp and u are making just over that with the stillen..its such a waste. just move on to something smart

Last edited by tylerxfire; 02-23-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 AM
IslandZavage

I understand I can get up to 650whp out of just the PowerLab kit. HOWEVER, that is not my goal. I would rather have a very driveable car that has an insane linear torque curve which starts pulling at 1500 all the way through
I really want to see this done, and i applaud you for your efforts. Reality is though it will be a tough road for you. But good luck in your efforts. Your dollar and your project so have fun...

Also have you thought about the TRACTION issues your gonna have at full boost at 1500rpm? And if you have what are your plans? Traction sux enough already with boosted Z's, so i cant imagine what 1500rpm full boost will bring.. You should probably look into doing a 3.3 gear swap.. just sayin .

Good Luck...

Quick Reply: Twin Charging my Z!