Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Twin Charging my Z!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 AM
TopgunZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ruthless,

Ever heard of Speed Image Performance?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, Moe is the head guy I believe. They are small but probably the most experienced here locally. They claim to have built a few stock blocks with pretty high numbers which concerned me but I don't know much else about them. I would use them over MAC for tuning though.

Last edited by Ruthless18x; 03-05-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM
TopgunZ

Originally Posted by Zivman
my car is twin turbo.. I have gotten used to the power, so could I just add a supercharger to it and technically call it a triple charged setup?

and what kind of gains should I expect? right now on GRD's dyno it pulled 550 hp / 575 tq. Think I could get a 100 more?

First off. I wouldnt even think about this untill I have mine complete to see if it even works as predicted.

Second, Im guessing your twins are rather small compared to what would be recommended for turbo size. On twins you are probably already getting boost at rather low rpms.

If you look at the equation of the compound effect (in theory) you would be pressing WAY more than 100 more.

Triple charging would be adding nitrous...your twins count as one. If you want more power then just add nitrous. The build Im doing may work and may not. But i have the means to experiment and find out.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM
TopgunZ

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Yes, Moe is the head guy I believe. They are small but probably the most experienced here locally. They claim to have built a few stock blocks with pretty high numbers which concerned me but I don't know much else about them. I would use them over MAC for tuning though.
Well Moe is the guy im talking about. Glad youve heard of him. The guy thats helping me out (A bunch) with my build works for them as a side job and is highly confident the tune will be on par.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im thinking the dude in here that commented he had twins and could just add a supercharger and be triple charged was mocking u op..lulz ...seems like he has a good build so id think he is smarter than this nonsense
Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I have been looking at this for about 3 years now. I actually tried to do it with two blowers. I first called PM GTM about 3 years ago about doing to HKS Blowers, Then I mocked up wiht carboard with Function tune a Stillend and a Vortech. Then I researched with Hills about a twin Vortech set up. But once STS came out with the rear mount kit it was clear on the best way to do it, if it could be done. Stillen roots with a big or twin remount or midmount (now) set up.

The older Mini Coopers were SC, the newer Turbo. These mini guys are using OEM parts and putting down 300HP top the wheels with both the SC and the turbo, not running meth, and not running the largerst intercoolers. yes the engines are small and the VQ are famous for heat related issues.

BUT!

With gobs of fuel and meth this can be done, has been done and I might follow suit as to I think we have found the limits of the vortech kit lately, at least a few of us have.

http://www.modified.com/features/050...o/viewall.html

Subscribed as to this is something I have always wanted to do and probably will one day soon.

Stillens are cheap. Rear Mounts are proven.. why the hell not

all the people in here talking about something they have NEVER done.

Ever been with two chicks? youve seen it, but most so called players have not.

Im all for it!

cant wait for the results.

Chevy cobalts are doing the same as the coopers!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 AM
TopgunZ

I have read numerous threads on this working. However, I had never read that one you linked below. Interesting they eliminated the stillen bypass valve and fitted a bov instead. Wonder if i will need to do this. I just so happen to have an HKS SSV3 in my garage, along with the tial that comes with the PL kit.

Looking to get some headway on the project Sunday. Hoping to have this done by April.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 AM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by TopgunZ
I have read numerous threads on this working. However, I had never read that one you linked below. Interesting they eliminated the stillen bypass valve and fitted a bov instead. Wonder if i will need to do this. I just so happen to have an HKS SSV3 in my garage, along with the tial that comes with the PL kit.

Looking to get some headway on the project Sunday. Hoping to have this done by April.
Hold off on removing the bypass until you get into higher boost or you go built block.

Youll be hard pressed to hit 10psi without hitting 410RWTQ so leave it on for now is my guess. Cool thing is you should be at full boost at like 3K rpms with the displacement of the 3.5 hopefully. 5psi waist gate.

did you ever see this?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/29/p...or-the-nissan/

Now this crowd would of hooted and hollared at the guy thinking about this, especially since it didnt gain all that much more power. The point that is missed is full boost at 1500 or so RPMS! Thats REDICULOUS!

this is where I started down the twin HKS road a few years back. I still think doing twin HKSs is an easier configuration to handle vs twin Vortechs. But the easiest install IMO is the rear/mid mount turbo running into the intercooler, then running into the ROOTS blower itself. So think about the correct intercooler.

you might want to get the one with one inlet on the passenger side, and two exits on the drivers. (if you go twin turbo, youll need two inlets, then the upper is for the intake for the car/blower. But if youre running one turbo, standard one in, one out should work just fine.

One thing to consider about the Power Labs is the location of the turbo. You may run into heat issues with that and the Stillen included. I recommend a vented hood, Nismo thermostate, Pathfinder cooling mod, radiator... the basics!

remove the bypass valve only aafter you go big and built!

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 03-10-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you consider cost vs performance gains the question is if it is really worth it though IMO. Sure its very unique and cool, but could you have gotten the same result with less build and fab?

If you are doing it as a shop car or something to show your level of fab skill and systems integration knowledge then that makes sense, but if its performance results based I don't get it.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 PM
TopgunZ

Cuz.....I want to.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

most of the power made is going to be power under the curve that most people ignore when looking at max power. max power will be only slightly higher forALOT more cost
Old 03-10-2012, 01:07 AM
bb319675

Can't wait to see it completed.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:15 AM
4SHIZZIL

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cass007
When you consider cost vs performance gains the question is if it is really worth it though IMO. Sure its very unique and cool, but could you have gotten the same result with less build and fab?

If you are doing it as a shop car or something to show your level of fab skill and systems integration knowledge then that makes sense, but if its performance results based I don't get it.
Cass

How many cars have 20k in widebody, rims audio, paint, interior, with a cold air intake and 6k suspensions?

I get it. Id rather shoot for a BMW V10 before I go LSV8, just to be different.

I hear there might be a Viper V10 coming out out Deleware.

Why? Why not!?!

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 03-10-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its been almost a month, wheres the beef?
at least even pics of the car with the stillen
Old 03-10-2012, 08:48 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL

The older Mini Coopers were SC, the newer Turbo. These mini guys are using OEM parts and putting down 300HP top the wheels with both the SC and the turbo, not running meth, and not running the largerst intercoolers. yes the engines are small and the VQ are famous for heat related issues.
It's a 1.3 liter engine so the flow that is required to produce power is a lot less than a 3.5 liter. The cobras that are twin charging have a s/c that is better matched for the engine. The stillen in it's stock form is small for our engine. It would be great on a 2.0 liter or something like that.

Same reason a gt35 will put down more power on a 2 liter evo than a 5.7 v8.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM
jerryd87

the superchargers on the cobras are less effecient the the stillen binder. they flow more air but they are also feeding more displacement. at the flow ratings/boost levels in both applications though the cobra heats the air just as much as the stillen, they are actually both pretty much matched perfectly at 58% effeciency. putting one of the bigger superchargers on the vq would flow more air but the effeciency island it would be inwould drop it down to 54-56% effeciency depending on the boost ran, resulting in much higher intake temps for the same airflow. running more airflow and hence more boost would result in the same effeciency islands the 3.5 is just too small a engine for the bigger superchargers if your looking for a effecient setup. you can make more power with them but if people are having trouble with intake air temps with the smaller superchargers its going to be an even bigger problem with the larger ones. all the flow charts are right on eatons website, would have to try and fit a tvs unit for better effeciency
Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
the superchargers on the cobras are less effecient the the stillen binder. they flow more air but they are also feeding more displacement. at the flow ratings/boost levels in both applications though the cobra heats the air just as much as the stillen, they are actually both pretty much matched perfectly at 58% effeciency. putting one of the bigger superchargers on the vq would flow more air but the effeciency island it would be inwould drop it down to 54-56% effeciency depending on the boost ran, resulting in much higher intake temps for the same airflow. running more airflow and hence more boost would result in the same effeciency islands the 3.5 is just too small a engine for the bigger superchargers if your looking for a effecient setup. you can make more power with them but if people are having trouble with intake air temps with the smaller superchargers its going to be an even bigger problem with the larger ones. all the flow charts are right on eatons website, would have to try and fit a tvs unit for better effeciency

ic, well i don't have the specifics on any of the chargers so i guess i'm just thinking along the lines of the kenne bell s/c that most of my friends with cobras have. They are 2.7 L displacement s/c for a 4.6L engine and the stillen is a 1.0L displacement blower for a 3.5. Just seems the blower size isn't properly matched to what the engine needs for air flow.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 AM
jerryd87

i dont have any specs on the kenne bell just the eaton the stock cobras come with which is what the twin charged system uses. i believe the kenne bell is a whipple though and should be closer to 70% effecient and would be much better matched due to greater effeciency AND greater airflow. kinda like a turbo cant just look at the size gotta look at the actual maps, unless your going for retarded power then just stick the biggest you can on there and hope you can find a way to cool it down lol.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
TopgunZ

Well this is a bit concerning. I had been talking to a few people on the affects of water/meth on the teflon rotors of the Eaton blades. So i started researching it.

Found this article. Short read.

http://v6supercharged.com.au/workshop.asp?ProjectID=8

What are your guys experience with this kind of situation?

If i cant run water/meth I hope I can keep the charge temps down. Im not worried about the cold side turbo as much as i am the SC.

Im wondering if i can run a smaller water/air cooler to the side of my other front mounts. I have the big 2 slots in my bumper on each side. So basically I would be running the water through an additional cooler.

Oh and I have tried to post pics. It always says "upload failed". Ive tried using a few different types of picture formats and 3 different computers. I contacted the Moderator for some help on this.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by TopgunZ
Well this is a bit concerning. I had been talking to a few people on the affects of water/meth on the teflon rotors of the Eaton blades. So i started researching it.

Found this article. Short read.

http://v6supercharged.com.au/workshop.asp?ProjectID=8

What are your guys experience with this kind of situation?

If i cant run water/meth I hope I can keep the charge temps down. Im not worried about the cold side turbo as much as i am the SC.

Im wondering if i can run a smaller water/air cooler to the side of my other front mounts. I have the big 2 slots in my bumper on each side. So basically I would be running the water through an additional cooler.

Oh and I have tried to post pics. It always says "upload failed". Ive tried using a few different types of picture formats and 3 different computers. I contacted the Moderator for some help on this.
Just like a turbo,,you,need more cooling. Get a mustang water,cooler,good,for 1500HP, cost is not cheap I think 900 bucks for a 1500HP cooler. I,say 1500 because you,wulk maje the equivalent heat. Lol

Need room? They,use pumps that can be ran from,the,hatch/trunk but thats alot of pluming.

See if,you,can buy a smaller overfill reservior and washield wioer fluid,tank and set,the new cooler there!? :dunno

Quick Reply: Twin Charging my Z!