Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Back home lets build!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:39 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

dint think racelogic used can and theres no need for extra sensors you just need a system with adjustable sensor inputs, then you just wire up the stock sensors since they are hall effect sensors. dont need the abs system in place to use them, the system being able to interpret the signals is the most important part.
Originally Posted by Resmarted
Racelogic also uses the can system I thought. At least it uses the ABS sensors. And besides that, with the additional sensors to set it up (without your factory ABS system/fully stand alone) I'm pretty sure that it would cost more than the AEM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
dint think racelogic used can and theres no need for extra sensors you just need a system with adjustable sensor inputs, then you just wire up the stock sensors since they are hall effect sensors. dont need the abs system in place to use them, the system being able to interpret the signals is the most important part.
"If your car is not equipped with ABS it is necessary to fit a set of wheel speed sensors – one per wheel.

The exact method used to locate and trigger the wheel speed sensors is absolutely critical to the correct operation of the Traction Control System.

There are a number of different ways to construct the pick-ups, the easiest being the bolt detection method."

Not sure exactly, but I do know that using the factory abs saves money on the 350z, which even with a sponsorship I requested was more than I was willing to spend.

EDIT I guess you're right, I think you can just hook up the factory sensors to it. I just assumed you had to go through the factory setup.

Last edited by Resmarted; 02-03-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no universal firmwares. I've been waiting months to get the proper CAN channels for my speed sensors. right now it reads 2 front sensors.

hmmmm no way to use a universal firmware and adjust signals in the software to work?
The PnP racelogic does go over the stock can system. But, they sell universal systems. Compatibility with the stock sensors? who knows. At worst you will just have to rig brackets for compatible sensors. No big deal at the point you are at.

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Racelogic also uses the can system I thought. At least it uses the ABS sensors. And besides that, with the additional sensors to set it up (without your factory ABS system/fully stand alone) I'm pretty sure that it would cost more than the AEM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 PM
jerryd87

had the car out a little recently and looks like the intake needs to come back off temporarily. would only build 8 psi boost so looked into it and found a melted wastegate reference line, replaced and got 10 psi. pressure checked the intake and had a significant leak between the upper and lower plenum, right by the oil filler where the felpro gasket wasnt sealing. used black rtv on that and had a wonderful 1k rpm idle and car was running great, then hit 17 psi boost and dropped to 15 max again with haltech set to 22 and back to a 2k idle. im guessing one of the other fel pro gaskets are leaking now.

tomarrow ill pull it out and going for broke going to pull it all off, rough up all the surfaces with a scotchbrite airgrinder pad give the rtv some more bite, use ultra grey rtv vs the ultra black, and then heat it up with my heat gun for a good 30 mins or so and let it cool down and retorque. might need to try and find some slightly longer bolts too for more engagement over the 6mmx1.0x75mm i have now 80 mm long should work for the lower plenum to intake.

if that dosnt work idk what will haha i have terrible luck with the intakes on this engine cant find any warps either.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Resmarted

had the car out a little recently and looks like the intake needs to come back off temporarily. would only build 8 psi boost so looked into it and found a melted wastegate reference line, replaced and got 10 psi. pressure checked the intake and had a significant leak between the upper and lower plenum, right by the oil filler where the felpro gasket wasnt sealing. used black rtv on that and had a wonderful 1k rpm idle and car was running great, then hit 17 psi boost and dropped to 15 max again with haltech set to 22 and back to a 2k idle. im guessing one of the other fel pro gaskets are leaking now.

tomarrow ill pull it out and going for broke going to pull it all off, rough up all the surfaces with a scotchbrite airgrinder pad give the rtv some more bite, use ultra grey rtv vs the ultra black, and then heat it up with my heat gun for a good 30 mins or so and let it cool down and retorque. might need to try and find some slightly longer bolts too for more engagement over the 6mmx1.0x75mm i have now 80 mm long should work for the lower plenum to intake.

if that dosnt work idk what will haha i have terrible luck with the intakes on this engine cant find any warps either.

Wait. You're using RTV to seal your upper and lower plenum?

Why not try a regular oem gasket...
Old 02-11-2013, 06:38 AM
jerryd87

because those managed to blow out and the rtv is actually sealing better lol. might have alot to do with the fact that i dont have the center metal plate though since the epoxy wont let it fit without trimming and i dont see the need so i cut that section of the gasket off.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM
ace32x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because those managed to blow out and the rtv is actually sealing better lol. might have alot to do with the fact that i dont have the center metal plate though since the epoxy wont let it fit without trimming and i dont see the need so i cut that section of the gasket off.
they make a thicker hard thermal gasket for the lower plenum. my boosted DE had one on it that was pretty heavy duty.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
jerryd87

the anebolic or however its spelled? ive seen that for where the lower plenum mates to the lower intake but where i was having the leak was where the two halves of the plenum mated. pressure tested it yesterday but ny home made duck tape pressure tester would only hold about 18 psi lol so i gotta take it out. the leak this time seems to be the cork i was using for the TB so i cleaned up the surface with the scotch brite and used the grey rtv, its a very small mating surface along the top and bottom of the TB(mayby 1/8th of a inch pushing it) so ill take it out and see since the intake seems to be holding now.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Resmarted

the anebolic or however its spelled? ive seen that for where the lower plenum mates to the lower intake but where i was having the leak was where the two halves of the plenum mated. pressure tested it yesterday but ny home made duck tape pressure tester would only hold about 18 psi lol so i gotta take it out. the leak this time seems to be the cork i was using for the TB so i cleaned up the surface with the scotch brite and used the grey rtv, its a very small mating surface along the top and bottom of the TB(mayby 1/8th of a inch pushing it) so ill take it out and see since the intake seems to be holding now.
The motordyne spacers have those funny little paper like gaskets on them already. I know they've held for some people. Hopefully it will hold for me at least on low boost.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I have never had trouble holding 18 psi with stock plenum gaskets, even when spraying a good amount of methanol. There should be no rtv required at all. Of course, if the mating surfaces are damaged then you may have to resort to rtv... You sure it's not leaking around a pipe coupler?

Last edited by rcdash; 02-12-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 AM
jerryd87

Definitely not I have been testing right at the TB and found several leaks in the manifold with my compressor regulator set to 30 psi with the trigger pulled.. I put it back togeather and need to check again with a street test. Plus coupler wouldn't cause a high idle. Might very well be a issue my son got ahold of my machinest straight edge so I wouldn't say its precision anymore. Gasket just dosnt seem very good at sealing but the lower gaskets and the intake to plenum gaskets all have crush areas and seem to be holding so I dint changve those.
Originally Posted by rcdash
I have never had trouble holding 18 psi with stock plenum gaskets, even when spraying a good amount of methanol. There should be no rtv required at all. Of course, if the mating surfaces are damaged then you may have to resort to rtv... You sure it's not leaking around a pipe coupler?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Resmarted

Definitely not I have been testing right at the TB and found several leaks in the manifold with my compressor regulator set to 30 psi with the trigger pulled.. I put it back togeather and need to check again with a street test. Plus coupler wouldn't cause a high idle. Might very well be a issue my son got ahold of my machinest straight edge so I wouldn't say its precision anymore. Gasket just dosnt seem very good at sealing but the lower gaskets and the intake to plenum gaskets all have crush areas and seem to be holding so I dint changve those.
If you get some sand paper and put it on top of a straight piece of glass you can resurface your upper plenum pretty easily. Then just get RC's spare lower plenum and you should be covered...
I'm semi tempted to pick up his lower plenum... But the car still doesn't run and I finished bolting up the intake the other day. I'm lazy, so un-bolting then re assembling just sounds lame right now.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 PM
jerryd87

been awhile since my last update ive done quite a bit but still havnt been back to the dyno, i did data log the other day and got 61.5% duty cycle from my injectors with 11.8:1 afr at 7k and 17 psi boost in first gear. rough calculation should put that about 700 at the engine or 600 to the wheels but im going to say thats very rough estimate.

some things i have done however is a side exit exhaust, the turbine outlet opens up to a 4 inch exhaust with a 4 inch aero turbine muffler, im still working on finishing the rocker panel and i need to get a tail pipe.

ive also set up a quick spool setup with a wastegate modified the production boosted performance piece. admittedly its a ebay 60mm wastegate but the tial still regulates boost. the sound performance valves where on back order plus are over double what i have invested to do this. not really happy with the welds, i really think im going to get a tig for stainless, i also still need alot of practice with stainless its a bit different from mild steel.

to get the wastegates to tuck i welded them kind of high, unfortinately this required clearancing the floor some, its possible to do this without modifying the floor but the wastegate location needs to be absolutely perfect. you can see the red rtv on the ebay wastegate because it dosnt seal 100% perfect.

finally my current project of rewiring the car........... im not happy with the factory wiring and all the random crap i dont use, this will let me shed alot of it. using a arc fuse block, a arc 8000D relay and switch center, and have another cheapo fuse block for ground distribution and a 5 volt source for the sensors as i rewire.

i need to get around to redynoing i just never seem to have time, in addition to my own stuff im currently rebuilding a twin turbo aps g35 for another soldier who got screwed by the original seller and am supposed to be blueprinting a 4.6L for a mustang whenever he calls me that all the parts came in. people see my car and really like my work, granted not all are looking to go as extreme as me. i intend for a air to water intercooler also but not sure if i want to do that now or wait. its supposed to get a cage as well but DOM on island is 10 bucks a foot, also contacted AEM to become a distributor, mayby ill use the AEM infinity 10 if i do lol

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-08-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Resmarted

Glad to see you upload this stuff! Hopefully I'll have some updates too. Keep it up man!
Old 06-09-2013, 01:14 AM
jerryd87

yah ive just been busy as **** lately, work required me to do a family care plan(something single soldiers with custodial rights to children and dual military are supposed to do, i am neither) because my babysitter had a miscarriage and i had to scramble to find a backup...... brought him to work with me one day that i was just sitting around doing paperwork and they threw a fit >.< not like i was given the option to use my 55 days of leave either, and babysitting only needed till the the 25th when wife finishes externships for her CMA, that with normal bs makes it hard.

i really wanna do the cage and 4 link setup i have it all designed and ready to go its just tubing is so expensive here, shipping is just as bad, i can spend $1000 locally for DOM, or $700 shipped for ERW. so much i still need to do lol

oh yah the wastegates each have their own supply now too, was kinda iffy on running them in series like that, needa find something like plastic or leather cord for trim around the guage faceplate to seal the guages. i made the housing then had to chip the mold out and trace the face from the housing, should have made the faceplate first then did the housing, the shape also dosnt lend itself well to a single piece of carbon fiber, two piece would have been the way to go definitely learning more with each composite part i make.

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-09-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:06 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Nice man...it's always refreshing to see what you're doing, knowing you did it yourself...

now when I get to a struggle with my car...

I'll have to coin the phrase "what would Jeremiah do"
Old 06-09-2013, 01:46 PM
jerryd87

hah yah too bad what i do isnt always cheap that arc 8000 switch panel alone is $250
Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice updates. I need to cage my car so they will allow me back on the track but I just can't bring myself to cutting up my mint interior yet.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by binder
Nice updates. I need to cage my car so they will allow me back on the track but I just can't bring myself to cutting up my mint interior yet.
Yeah i don't want to do a cage either, but ill have to for most of the standing mile events :/. Gonna look stupid with the top off. -.-

Jerry are there any local american speed shops/metal/welding shops that would be willing to hook you up with shipping?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:44 PM
jerryd87

not really i contacted roll cage components and freight is $370 since you need about 9-10 foot for the main hoop. summit i can actually get 2 day air for 180 bucks but the longest they sell is 8 foot. i can make that work with 6 inch mounting box's but not sure if thats actually legal, or another potential way is to move the intended 4 link cross member to in front of the seat belt mounting location and mount the cage to that, again not sure i thats legal though although i dont see how that would be any different from how most back half cars do it. atm im figuring out the alternator to make it charge.

Quick Reply: Back home lets build!