Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Back home lets build!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:46 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so at the request of king baby i decided to update this even though i dont really frequent this site anymore. Overall my car has been sitting awhile and ive been slowly tinkering with it, back issues ive had have led me to not mess with it much plus i have been busy with other stuff like school.

some things i have had issues with is the air filter on my boosted performance kit clogs with sand and red clay very easily here in hawaii or at least oahu. For the most part it really dosnt matter for 99.99% of people but when i turned the boost up to the full 32 i found i was starting to suck oil out of the CHRA. like i said 99.99% of people wouldnt have a issue but im also trying to push more power then anyone else out of the kit. i ordered a new much higher flowing filter for it(pretty much the largest you can fit under the car from AFE power). and had intended to build a new transmission cross member so i could place it directly on the turbo.

that ended up changing as i intend to really see what stock sleeves will handle and for how long so i completely scrapped that idea. instead i decided i was going to build several new parts for the VQ35DE including a custom turbo kit. I have most of what i need and began on it doing preliminary things like relocating the power steering pump, moving the radiator forward and tilting it, quick release front bumper, tube core support ect. it started out good but the tube core support will need to be redone now, i had to rush it because i finally received my VA ratings and am heading back to ohio so i have to get the car at least semi back togeather to be shipped out on the 12th, i just need to drive it to honolulu where its being shipped as non functioning.

Once i get back to ohio however the plan is to again move forward, the core support will get redone, the kognition 72 inch wing will be installed(its still in production so i changed the shipping address to ohio), a new garrett GT intercooler core will be used(havnt bought it yet so this might still end up being air/water instead.). for the turbo kit i have moved the power steering to the passanger side so that i can run forward facing exhaust manifolds of equal length, the runners will be 36 inchs each to produce a peak torque at 5800 rpms, it will use a tial MV-s again for boost control, however it will now be controlled with a four port solenoid instead of three port. a tial MV-R will handle quick spool duty's, and the 60mm cheapo i have currently will be moved to post turbo to dump out the front bumper above 15 psi while the remainder and below that will exit the side with a 3 inch muffled exhaust instead of the current 4 inch.

Intake is being changed as well, the standard style will be completely deleted. my biggest pet peeve with all intakes on the market is they still use the stock lower intake to the heads. with this combined with the runners in the heads the intake is absolutely no good, it is tuned to fourth wave harmonics. most race cars tune to third wave which requires about 7 inchs and about 2.35 inch diameter from valve face to plenum for a peak torque at 5800 rpms and to be the most efficient. i have a couple designs ive been messing with in CAD and CFD and it will likely be a forward facing TB using a 90mm mustang 5.0 throttle body or lsx from accufab. to fit this under the hood im building a new cowl induction good to clear everything. plenum volume will be somewhere between 7.0L-10L depending on final results.

the car made previously 600 ft lbs at 4800 rpms at 22ish psi boost, currently it sees 27 psi at 4800, which it hasnt been on the dyno but should be around 650 ft lbs, the goal is to get that 650 ft lb number down closer to 4k while still using the 3.5L displacement and hitting around 38-40 psi at around 5k and holding as long as possible(that should max the 6766, and drop to around 34-35 at 7k). that should give me about 850 ft lbs at the 5800 rpm and if the new intake works right i should be able to retain around 770-790 ft lbs by 6500 rpms and give me a peak power of 950-980 whp and pretty much maxing the 6766 turbo. obviously the numbers are a estimate and highly dependant on the dyno, but the end goal is a 8.8-8.9 quarter mile with the 6 speed running a 2800 lb race weight. the suspension is going to be key to hitting that goal which is why the car will also be under going a back half and custom suspension when it gets back that combines the multi link with a four link similar to how the 4th gen corvettes used a torque arm as the car will still be street driven on lower boost levels.

attached some pics of some of the recent work.

edit: oh yah forgot those fans are the highest flowing 12's i could find, 1870 cfm each in pull, something over 2k in pull and the aluminum can is for power steering. i had a video of it running with the power steering relocated(i have belts on it) but cant find it at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails Back home lets build!-img_20140602_151630911_hdr.jpg   Back home lets build!-img_20140602_151434690.jpg   Back home lets build!-img_20140618_210856748.jpg   Back home lets build!-img_20140725_150947505.jpg   Back home lets build!-img_20140728_153831485.jpg  

Back home lets build!-img_20140728_163152587_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by jerryd87; 07-29-2014 at 12:56 AM.