Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

why did you decide on your form of FI over the other option?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default why did you decide on your form of FI over the other option?

just wonder what made your decision to go turbo over supercharger or supercharger over turbo. i myself am having a very very hard time deciding. and no matter how much research i do it doesnt make it much easier. ive never owned a boosted car so any boost is gonna be great. i lean towards the response of a supercharger as apposed to the lag of a turbo. but the turbo side appeals to the side of me that says the potential for more power is greater. i auto X twice a month and would still wanna compete somewhat without too much lag in power. basically what im asking is what made you go the dirrection you chose and what do you think i should DO! haha
Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 PM
konrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you get twin turbo or a small single turbo kit like a BP 6262 or momenturm 35r than there wont be much lag at all, plus superchargers dont make full boost till redline. Where the 6262 will make 8psi by 3500rpm by 3k rpm you will already make 3-4psi and it will pull much harder than a supercharger
Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM
lillong1991

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just decided to supercharge my car with the vortech kit. I decided on this kit because of the price and the quality, not to mention the reliability of the kit. the turbo platform does create a lot more torque though. supercharger kit cost anywhere from 6.5k to 8.5k done right while a turbo kit cost 9k to 11k done right. It gets expensive and i am slowly learning that, however i feel like i wanna have fun while im still young.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I enjoy Torque.

I enjoy the ability to switch power levels quickly.

I wanted something with more potential and when I boosted my $hitbox, S/C's werent putting down more than 450whp.

S/C was not for me.

ST was cool on stock block, Twins now built, the powerband is just fawking meaty.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:56 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Werd.

Also, I think it has a lot to do with how reliable you want the car to be, and what you're going to use it for. How many guys on here have boosted cars that they can't drive or won't even run? Hell myself included. Especially if you are going to autox 2 times a month. Sounds like a Vortech would best fit your needs.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Seems to me there are two main determining factors. First is the size of your wallet. Second is if you are the type of person who can be satified with "Some" or if you always wonder about "MOAR!"
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Drive a properly turbo boosted car and your questions will be answered.. Nothing is more exhilarating than hearing a turbo spool up when ur about to commit and go WOT! And with that said nothing IMHO is more annoying than hearing the whine and chatter of "some" superchargers. Turbo's are also quieter and in my neighborhood that is important especially since I like to go our late night..
Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by eZg
Seems to me there are two main determining factors. First is the size of your wallet. Second is if you are the type of person who can be satified with "Some" or if you always wonder about "MOAR!"
well i have saved the money (just got back from my deployment ;-) i have the cash to go either way. but that doesnt mean i wanna spend it on something i dont need. i want something reliableish haha eventually i will build but anything around 400whp for now will satisfy my needs. my main thing is responsiveness. in reality i WISH our motors took better to NA builds the response of a na motor is second to none.everyone i talk to says what ruthless says. they tell me a supercharger would benifit me most.. i just wanna see what others think.

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
^ Werd.

Also, I think it has a lot to do with how reliable you want the car to be, and what you're going to use it for. How many guys on here have boosted cars that they can't drive or won't even run? Hell myself included. Especially if you are going to autox 2 times a month. Sounds like a Vortech would best fit your needs.
reliablility is deff a big factor. tho its no longer my daily its nice to know when i pull it out to autox or just a sunday drive i can know with confidence everythings going to run great!...i am deff leaning towards a supercharger right now and the more i read about how much power some are making with the vortech it makes the lean a little harder.

Originally Posted by lillong1991
I just decided to supercharge my car with the vortech kit. I decided on this kit because of the price and the quality, not to mention the reliability of the kit. the turbo platform does create a lot more torque though. supercharger kit cost anywhere from 6.5k to 8.5k done right while a turbo kit cost 9k to 11k done right. It gets expensive and i am slowly learning that, however i feel like i wanna have fun while im still young.
i hear that i turn 25 this year and i feel OLD already! haha well since you have a supercharger how responsive is the power? hit gas n gone? or what how much power did you make? what are you tuned on?? how happy are you with your decision?

Originally Posted by konrad
if you get twin turbo or a small single turbo kit like a BP 6262 or momenturm 35r than there wont be much lag at all, plus superchargers dont make full boost till redline. Where the 6262 will make 8psi by 3500rpm by 3k rpm you will already make 3-4psi and it will pull much harder than a supercharger
hmmm this is why im still keeping a small turbo as an option. what kit would be preferable. a guy on the forums is selling a TN single kit
Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fawk spare belts in the trunk.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Vortech = CARB in bacause California sucks for cars
Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 AM
hellman_x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine vortech s/c just because it is more reliable and will boost in relation to your RPM's. The chances you have of blowing up your stock block is very little unless you change your belt and increase your boost past the engine's threshold. With that said I am currently in school and will plan to ditch the vortech and go twins and built block once I have some spare funds.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you are on a stock block, its a moot point. power curves looks almost identical between a properly tuned vortech and turbo setup.

you are mechanically limited by the motor.

I drove my vortech'd car all the time. My TT car, hardly ever, although the 2 builds are worlds apart. The vortech was super simple, while the TT is not.

In the end, if you dont want to be wrenching all the time, stock block, basic return fuel system, proper tune, and either FI and you'll be all set.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

Large single turbo. Block was built becuase i blew it up NA.. dont ask me how.. bad luck i guess. So, why rebuild a stock engine.. and why build a block and not boost it.

I just want a fwy monster and the ability to stay out of boost if I keep an easy foot and faygle shift it at 2800 rpm.

i dont want a ridiculous clutch or to break stuff.. and am already scared of traction issues and wheelspin on the street.. depending on what size Precision turbo they stick in there, shouldnt be too peaky of a curve. Im thinking 6265 will be what we end up w.
If i ever brought it out to drag it, so i wanted easy pussed out 60 foot times, hopefully wont break anything then... easy clutch drop then stand on it and go.

People who say they like superchangers would probably be happier w good small twins.

snail pairs...18gs.. bust it out at the track.. youll be glad you did.

Last edited by bmccann101; 03-21-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Colombo

hmmm this is why im still keeping a small turbo as an option. what kit would be preferable. a guy on the forums is selling a TN single kit
TN is the worst kit made for our car.. joo gots a lot of reading to do mang.
sorry to that kit seller, haha.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The curves may have similar shapes. But the S/C TQ curve will be 30-40ft/lbs down.

Show me a Vortech at 8psi pushing 400ft /lbs. You can't.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 AM
ace32x

if u want something thats safe stock blockish with room to grow, get a boosted performance single, 850cc injectors, osiris, cjm fuel rails and a stage 0 return and a Fuel pressure regulator, and a clutch and flywheel of your choosing. you'll be safe stock block and then if you ever decide to build down the road all you have to do is swap turbo's out. would only run 1500-2k more than a vortech set up aswell.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I'll tell you why I'm doing a turbo build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtPlu...feature=relmfu
Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 AM
ace32x

i went turbo because SC wasnt an option for HR's at the time. looking back im glad it wasnt because i would have picked up a SC and then not have been satisfied after a few months and would have wanted twins anyways.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
TN is the worst kit made for our car.. joo gots a lot of reading to do mang.
sorry to that kit seller, haha.
Uh oh. I have the tn kit.

Last edited by taywan; 03-21-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i went turbo because i lost the auction for the mobile nuclear reactor =(

on a more serious note get ahold of boosted performance. i can tell you right now the hardest part of my whole build(well the turbo part not my custom *** complicated fuel system) was removing the stock exhuast after it spent its whole life until a few months ago in ohio. the 6266 will be great for you and it would be easy enough to upgrade later to his other kits if you deem it necessary.

Quick Reply: why did you decide on your form of FI over the other option?