Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech 2.87 setup(advice on setup aswell) water injection? oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default vortech 2.87 setup(advice on setup aswell) water injection? oil cooler?

ok so my supercharger will be going in next month as the military is keeping it from happening any sooner right now the setup goes as follows some installed some in boxes but i have all these.

hks rep exhaust w magna x pipe
plenum spacer
test pipes
ams pulley set (no underdrive)
Osiris tune
vortech v2 w 2.87 pulley i figure go small off the bat ( i have a 3.12 and the stock 1 if anyone wants to buy em :-) )
RC 550's injectors
synapse BOV
GTM extra pulley mod
walbro 255 fuel pump
momentum perf intercooler
AAM basic fuel return system
1 step colder denso iridiums
3 gauges (oil temp,wideband af, boost)

thoughts on the setup?

im about to pull the trigger on the AEM water/meth kit as i want to run as "safe" as possible as i do track the vehicle. ive done some research but i also know alot of people who dont run water or meth. so your thoughts? also how important would it be to run an oil cooler?

these last few weeks since i began the journey to boost has been alot of late night research after work and nail biting purchases but i want to be confident in my setup and able to beat it when i please. thanks as always for the wonderful and even some of the not so wonderful replies

Last edited by Colombo; 04-21-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 PM
unvmyg35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely get an oil cooler. Are you at or mt?
You should consider a oil pres. gauge too.

I will take the 3.12 pulley off your hands. Pm best price shipped to 94080.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by unvmyg35
Definitely get an oil cooler. Are you at or mt?
You should consider a oil pres. gauge too.

I will take the 3.12 pulley off your hands. Pm best price shipped to 94080.
how hot do you want the oil to be at during track conditions? i autocross mainly but an occasional road coarse does happen. also how much does an oil cooler really cool the oil. i mean i know everyone always says do the oil cooler but how much does it really affect. its a MT 350z so i have oil press in the stock gauges.

send me a PM about the pulley man its gonna prob be a couple weeks before i can sell it thats why i havent put it up in the FS section yet but deff pm me and when i get around to taking it off the bracket ( its whats mounted now) ill get a quote and let you know

Last edited by Colombo; 04-07-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd run the oil cooler either way. If you track the car, I wouldn't run meth. If you're tuned on the meth and run out mid lap, during the day and don't have a way to refill, etc, your tune can become too aggressive, especially with a 2.87 and a stock block.

Drag car would make more sense than a hpde, autox, nasa car for meth.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
I'd run the oil cooler either way. If you track the car, I wouldn't run meth. If you're tuned on the meth and run out mid lap, during the day and don't have a way to refill, etc, your tune can become too aggressive, especially with a 2.87 and a stock block.

well to be honest with you i was considering running mainly water for safety not SO MUCH performance. and wasnt planning really running the meth mix. but like i said im still researching and learning.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Ruthless18x

Originally Posted by Colombo
well to be honest with you i was considering running mainly water for safety not SO MUCH performance. and wasnt planning really running the meth mix. but like i said im still researching and learning.
Make sure your tuner knows that. IMHO its a waste of time and money on a track car.

Spend the money on the oil cooler, radiator, fans, tstat, etc.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Colombo

Make sure your tuner knows that. IMHO its a waste of time and money on a track car.

Spend the money on the oil cooler, radiator, fans, tstat, etc.
yea i deff plan to IF i go w the water/meth...sorry to pry but im trying to learn myself.

why exactly do you think its a waste as a safety feature? anyone else with input?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Colombo

i just read this if this works as it says it would help if the condition you said did happen

WATER INJECTION KEY FEATURES:
• Universal kit includes everything you need for installation
• Progressive, controller-driven 150 PSI pump
• One-gallon tank with integral fluid level sensor
• Dash light for system status and low fluid warning
• Alcohol Compatible (up to 50% in solution with water)
• Progressive controller, provides boost-dependent
variable flow
Output provided to either decrease timing or boost if the system runs out of fluid or detects an error
• Includes three jets to match your power requirement
Old 04-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Ruthless18x

The reason I don't like it for a track car is because it's just another system that can / will eventually fail.

The info above is great however you can't decrease boost electronically on a supercharger as its mechanically driven, and there is no way it could pull timing on a reflash like Osiris. Maybe with a standalone.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Highly suggest an oil cooler... I haven't tracked my HKS set up yet but it gets to 110c on a couple runs and being your in Florida, it's a must. I have a large Stillen set up and it's right up front. When I suggested the meth options during my FI build, I got the same response as Ruthless'. You can run the set up without it and your tuner can safely tune you set up without too. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:59 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ditch the meth spend money elsewhere especially on oil cooler. Otherwise the build looks legit.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:11 PM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would yall add an oil cooler for FI even if its not a track vehicle? Mine is just a weekend toy but it gets to the 95-100 degrees during summer. I guess I'm answering my own question to yes. Especially on longer hwy trips etc. It would be beneficial regadless?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Ruthless18x

Originally Posted by taywan
Would yall add an oil cooler for FI even if its not a track vehicle? Mine is just a weekend toy but it gets to the 95-100 degrees during summer. I guess I'm answering my own question to yes. Especially on longer hwy trips etc. It would be beneficial regadless?
Yeah in my opinion. I installed mine when I lived in Phoenix and noticed significant temp drops, especially with the added capacity of an oil pan spacer.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:10 PM
str8dum1

meth + stock block = waste of money

wanna be confident in your purchases, then make these changes...
get a CJM return fuel system. Get a Aeromotive 340lph pump. Get DW 800cc injectors.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1

get a CJM return fuel system. Get a Aeromotive 340lph pump. Get DW 800cc injectors.
stole my thunder. that 2.87 gonna pump out 14 psi or so, you need a good fuel system or i predict kaboom.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by str8dum1

well im going to run my setup for now maybe down the road upgrade to those parts ive heard nothing but good things about the aam kit is the cjm that much better? also im only looking to make 400whp do you think i can hit that with my setup and the 3.12 pulley? those injectors are huge isnt that overkill?

Originally Posted by djamps
Ditch the meth spend money elsewhere especially on oil cooler. Otherwise the build looks legit.
thanks im glad i posted before i pulled the trigger. any suggestions as to which oil cooler to go with?

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Highly suggest an oil cooler... I haven't tracked my HKS set up yet but it gets to 110c on a couple runs and being your in Florida, it's a must. I have a large Stillen set up and it's right up front. When I suggested the meth options during my FI build, I got the same response as Ruthless'. You can run the set up without it and your tuner can safely tune you set up without too. Good luck.
true thanks alot for the info! hopefully i hit the numbers i want while still keeping it somewhat reliable.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:33 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless the cjm kit includes rails it's pretty much the same as the AAM kit. Been running the basic AAM kit w/600cc DW's for 3 years without issue. Unless you're building your block and shooting for 500+ you don't need anything more...

Last edited by djamps; 04-07-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Ruthless18x

You get fuel soak with the AAM, at least on the older kits.

CJM lines are jacketed.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by Nexx
stole my thunder. that 2.87 gonna pump out 14 psi or so, you need a good fuel system or i predict kaboom.
14psi? ive read its usually around 11-12 w the 2.87?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by djamps
Unless the cjm kit includes rails it's pretty much the same as the AAM kit. Been running the basic AAM kit w/600cc DW's for 3 years without issue. Unless you're building your block and shooting for 500+ you don't need anything more...
DJ what is your setup if you dont mind me asking? how much boost is it making n whp/tq numbers? and how long have you been running your setup as is now? ive seen your post in many threads but i dont think i saw your setup

Quick Reply: vortech 2.87 setup(advice on setup aswell) water injection? oil cooler?